Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

arsenicCatnip posted:

MarcioFrisoniNJM? That's definitely not a Dublin accent. He almost sounds french to me? Or like someone making fun of the french?

He's Italian but lives in Ireland

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Got your first guy there in my inspiration folder - I could recognize him from space, love that color.

<3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love whenever a goon complains that someone has a very punchable face because it always comes off as the most wannabe tough guy poo poo ever

Judging by their use of "pommy" to describe Brits and "seppo" to describe Yanks, I'm guessing they're Australian, so this checks out :v:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

I love whenever a goon complains that someone has a very punchable face because it always comes off as the most wannabe tough guy poo poo ever

Have you watched midwinter minis?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Mr Teatime posted:

Yeah, Guy seems like a super nice and down to earth person?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yes but I don't need to prove that I'm a very strong bloke and not some dandy Sheila by having a kill bill alarm go off in my head whenever someone with glasses smiles on my computer screen

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah, Guy seems like a super nice and down to earth person?

And his videos are oddly relaxing, to boot. I have no interest in buying or building a Forge World Titan, but I will put that playlist on when I'm in bed and unwinding after a long day, and Guy talking about making mistakes with a two-part epoxy or forgetting that the Titan's head had to be ordered separately from the rest of it is calm and soothing.

Even if I didn't like his channel, though, saying "someone has the most punchable face" when all they're doing is talking about building and painting minis is kind of lovely and has no place here. IMO.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I liked Midwinter minis until he released that video trying to guilt trip Henry Cavill to make content with him. After that he kinda seemed like a bit of a tosser. Not that he's the only one!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I have a very strong aversion to clickbait, phoniness and YouTube calls to action. The people whose job is to make YouTube videos must do these things in order to generate clicks. This is why I appreciate the people who have a separate job, and make YouTube videos as a hobby or side thing.

I don't want gimmicks or skits or platitudes, and I especially don't want bad comedy or insane thumbnails. I want someone with an intense amount of skill who can express high level ideas and concepts in an easy to understand way.

Some of the best YT tutorials for painting are not found under the accounts with the highest view counts. They're found under smaller accounts where the videos are just a camera on a model and a palette.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've never read "punchable face" as an intent of violence. It's more of a forecast that someone is so annoying that, eventually, they'll agitate someone violent with predictable results.

Consider Rand Paul. Nobody at all should have been surprised by that.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 26, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

Didn't he cheat on his wife recently, people who cheat on their SO are scumbags

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Duncan Rhodes seems nice. I like his videos even though I'm not actually good enough to attempt even what he does.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love Marco, he's the reason I switched a huge part of my workflow to oils.
I'll always check out Vince if I need a tutorial for something, but his production values are painful.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

moths posted:

I've never read "punchable face" as an intent of violence. It's more of a forecast that someone is so annoying that, eventually, they'll agitate someone violent with predictable results.

Consider Rand Paul. Nobody at all should have been surprised by that.

The key difference here is that Rand Paul not only deserved his rear end beating, but frankly deserves many many more, for being a piece of poo poo libertarian (but I repeat myself)

If a person finds Guy from MWM so annoying that they want to beat him up over it, might I humbly suggest that they are far too terminally online and need to step away from the Internet for a bit

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/@Zumikito/videos

Aside from others mentioned I find Zumikito pretty straight forward and good refreshers for specific techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/@InfernalBrush/featured is also great. Kind of dead but some really high level stuff from a former eavy metal painter.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/@Zumikito/videos

Aside from others mentioned I find Zumikito pretty straight forward and good refreshers for specific techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/@InfernalBrush/featured is also great. Kind of dead but some really high level stuff from a former eavy metal painter.

My only problem with Zumikito is he has bad vibes, same with Trovarion. I can't pin point exactly what it is, but he sets off weird red flags in my brain.

I have not watched a single one of his videos all the way through because of that.

edit: and I realize this is entirely a personal thing, but I wonder if anyone else feels the same way. I've heard good things about the content!

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 26, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Even if I didn't like his channel, though, saying "someone has the most punchable face" when all they're doing is talking about building and painting minis is kind of lovely and has no place here. IMO.

Tell me you haven't seen an Eons of Battle video without saying you haven't seen an Eons of Battle video.

Because dude has *THE MOST* punchable face and I will absolutely die on this hill without question or regret.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

AndyElusive posted:

Tell me you haven't seen an Eons of Battle video without saying you haven't seen an Eons of Battle video.

Because dude has *THE MOST* punchable face and I will absolutely die on this hill without question or regret.

A)you're wrong because I have in fact seen many of his videos, and B)annoying at times, yes, but punchable? No. Sorry not sorry, it's still a lovely thing to say.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I only don't watch eons of battle because he's too happy all of the time and my own trauma can't believe it being anything other than fake

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

My only problem with Zumikito is he has bad vibes, same with Trovarion. I can't pin point exactly what it is, but he sets off weird red flags in my brain.

I have not watched a single one of his videos all the way through because of that.

edit: and I realize this is entirely a personal thing, but I wonder if anyone else feels the same way. I've heard good things about the content!

I have kinda bad vibes with Trovarion. The misters of battle video he did felt disingenuous especially with the framing that he's decided he's not playing the youtube game and doing something that isn't guaranteed to get views and immediately jumps straight into a hot button topic. To me his frustration that he isn't as successful on youtube as he thinks he should be comes across.

I can see where you're coming from with Zumikito. He usually keeps his editorialising very minimal so for me the video is basically over before the vibe gets me.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

On the topic, I think the worst thing to happen to Squidmar was Patreon money.

I actually learned a couple of things from him before people started paying him for more content.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

A)you're wrong because I have in fact seen many of his videos, and B)annoying at times, yes, but punchable? No. Sorry not sorry, it's still a lovely thing to say.

Fair enough.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I only don't watch eons of battle because he's too happy all of the time and my own trauma can't believe it being anything other than fake

My main gripe about EoB is that, while I understand a lot of mini painting YouTubers have to play the game by making GW content-focused videos, he seems just a little too happy to talk about how GW models are the bestest and the goodest and the most wonderfulest and how on Earth could anyone ever consider painting anything else. However, I resolve this by just turning the video off, or maybe not even watching it in the first place. :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

On the topic, I think the worst thing to happen to Squidmar was Patreon money.

I actually learned a couple of things from him before people started paying him for more content.

Fair enough.

Yeah Squidmar was fine until he started trying to get a warlord titan, and now the past... I dunno how many months? Have been only content related to that.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

AndyElusive posted:

I wouldnt say his its his face thats punchable so much.

He does do that thing a lot of youtubes do and talk in an incredibly annoying manner because theyre afraid to sound monotonous. So i think its his personality thats punchable.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Don't get me wrong though, I can't fault a guy for turning something he loves to do into a full fledged business thanks to YouTube money but I actively go out of my way to avoid watching Squidmar since he's pivoted into a channel that doesn't provide me with anything close to what it did when he was just some helpful dude with a camera wet blending hams in his basement.

My Spirit Otter posted:

So i think its his personality thats punchable.

:agreed:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
I think having to play the game of "do GW-related stuff if you want to get paid because that's all anyone wants to watch" is why mini painting YT OGs like Doctor Faust have largely abandoned their YT channels and just do stuff on Twitch livestreams these days. He's always maintained that he never made a dime off his YT channel and while I believe he had/has a Patreon, I don't recall him doing the "get me 1000 subscriptions and I'll paint whatever y'all want' thing (except back when Warmahordes Mk 2 came out and PP started doing some starter boxes for various factions in colored plastic, as he painted up some of the Circle of Ourbouros stuff that his patrons wanted to see, IIRC). He's always liked doing up models and minis of stuff that isn't remotely related to a GW game, so I can see why he'd probably rather just do a few livestreams a week and then occasionally edit one down and upload it to YT without worrying about whether or not he'll get paid off it.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Everyone needs to support Erik Swinson. 3 hour + videos, just him painting on a stream, put up on YouTube. Minimal talking, some explaining what he's doing, and a lot of very chill painting time.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
So, I'm learning how to blend from the Mini Witch, and she has this really neat video where she shows how to blend paints by creating little triangles of color on your wet palette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7X3AA54tQ

Here's the kind of result that I'm getting - I'm using glazing medium, but you can see that the paint is going down kind of gritty and patchy when it's only a single layer, like so:

Does anybody have an idea for how to get a smoother color when I'm using glazing medium, or do I just need multiple coats?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of Youtuber accents, I really wish I knew what Lyla Mev (The Mini Witch)'s accent was

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Cannibal Smiley posted:

So, I'm learning how to blend from the Mini Witch, and she has this really neat video where she shows how to blend paints by creating little triangles of color on your wet palette: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp7X3AA54tQ

Does anybody have an idea for how to get a smoother color when I'm using glazing medium, or do I just need multiple coats?

Not sure about that specific technique but one thing that really helped my glazing was after mixing it up with the brush, rinsing it off before going back and taking some to apply. The reason being pure paint can be hiding in the bristles to give you a streaky uneven effect.

I also understand colours with lots of white are harder to glaze with as they're less opaque.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
White is a nightmare for that technique. You need to be extraordinarily patient about letting things dry before throwing on additional layers. It's easy for white to chalk up if you disturb a drying layer throwing down another glaze.

You could use that technique on white, but I'd start with my highlight and shade downwards, praying that I never make a mistake because if I do it's going to be awful to fix.

White is kinda like yellow in that if you see a cool blend, someone either air brushed it or spent two days throwing down glazes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Not sure about that specific technique but one thing that really helped my glazing was after mixing it up with the brush, rinsing it off before going back and taking some to apply. The reason being pure paint can be hiding in the bristles to give you a streaky uneven effect.

I also understand colours with lots of white are harder to glaze with as they're less opaque.

The secret to painting white is to not use white! Use off whites highlighted at the highest spots with pure white

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

The secret to painting white is to not use white! Use off whites highlighted at the highest spots with pure white

This.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Yeah, did this for a shirt on a mini and it's one of my favorite minis with a lot of white.

Also free weathering because it looks all dingy.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

protomexican posted:

I've been applying some decals to spehhs mureen pauldrons, and Micro Sol is magic and making the process not nearly as unpleasant as everyone says it is. But what about Sol's brother, Micro Set? If I'm applying varnish before and after the decal, I don't understand the point of having yet another clear colorless liquid on my very cluttered painting desk.

Microset + Sol combo works in that you apply the microset to the surface, slide on the decal, get it in place, and then apply the microsol to really soften the decal and get it as surface flush as possible. Once its dry, another gentle application of microset over the top helps lock the decal in place and ready for the varnish.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Microset is really an asset when you're dealing with huge decals, since it gives you more time to adjust the positioning of the decal just right. Which ideally isn't a thing you're doing when you're painting miniatures. If you're content doing your setting with just a drop of water to help slide the decal around, party on.

If feel really strongly about not wanting Microsol on your desk, you can always downsize to one of the Mr. Hobby or Tamiya decal solvents, which have the added benefit of being way harder to knock over than the Micro bottles.

As a comparison, I wouldn't dream of tackling a decal sheet that looked like this without setting solution.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

White is a nightmare for that technique. You need to be extraordinarily patient about letting things dry before throwing on additional layers. It's easy for white to chalk up if you disturb a drying layer throwing down another glaze.

You could use that technique on white, but I'd start with my highlight and shade downwards, praying that I never make a mistake because if I do it's going to be awful to fix.

White is kinda like yellow in that if you see a cool blend, someone either air brushed it or spent two days throwing down glazes.

I'm kind of locked into using white on the tabards and skirts of the Sisters of Battle because of the order I picked, but I can appreciate that I'm working at a high difficulty level. I have been starting with Celestra Gray and then blending up into pure white, though, using Vallejo Dead White as the topmost layer.

Thanks for all of the advice from y'all, though, I appreciate it. :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Crosspost from the 30k thread!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Done some more Night Lords!

Bought these Tartaros terminators already assembled and painted. Sadly very well glued together with plastic cement, so only thing I could do is add some Night Lords bling to them and call it a day.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I was thinking of getting a small battery powered LED painting lamp to take along to cons for painting classes, or painting during work trips, things like that. Anyone have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Funzo posted:

I was thinking of getting a small battery powered LED painting lamp to take along to cons for painting classes, or painting during work trips, things like that. Anyone have any recommendations?

Hmm maybe some kind of headlamp? That way it's portable!