Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm playing sin and punishment star successor right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

or you could play old games which are good and not make psychoposts like this

Can you guys just talk about video games without gaslighting people about abnormal psychology or talking about how normal you are or whatever lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
We were talking about Doom 2 op. What a game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
it's not that weird - stuff like any given far cry or league of legends are just going to have learned from and built on doom and warcraft 3 due to time and iteration so it's no surprise that they came out better in the end. it's just the effect of progress

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

he should be killed. let’s loving kill him.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Please don’t tell people to research old games it’s gatekeeping and that’s a total yikes

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

it's not that weird - stuff like any given far cry or league of legends are just going to have learned from and built on doom and warcraft 3 due to time and iteration so it's no surprise that they came out better in the end. it's just the effect of progress

To be fair, progress isn't always linear and games or entir genres can sometimes take several steps back. That's where indie games really shine though, some developers are so focused on recreating old visions or experiences with new tech and game design knowledge.

All that to say, I think games were pretty good back then and games are incredibly good today. The doom ports are pretty sick on switch, especially because they leverage a lot of modern tech /mods

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingSlime posted:

gaslighting

my god.... one away from collecting the entire triforce....

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm betting it's a stylistic choice, as the percussion sounds just fine elsewhere in the video.
I was hoping so too, but the composers are nitpicking an official Nintendo upload of the pause music that's missing bits so :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1618307965508849666
https://twitter.com/grantkirkhope/status/1618669643862007808

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Looper posted:

i'm playing sin and punishment star successor right now

This is an old shooting game the kids should be playing these days.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I finished tristrat. Cool game but I was definitely ready for it to be over by the end. rudolph and medina were my mvps. now I can dig into engage

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still want to do the perfecto run of tristrat but I am in hell trying to do every XBC3 quest

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

KingSlime posted:

Right, there have been 30 years of shooters since then. It's not really a relevant cultural capstone anymore unless you're over a certain age.

It's still enjoyable if you're into retro shooters or like learning about video game history for sure, but who cares if that poster doesn't know anything about it? How dare he say it in a dumb way?!

I think he was trying to highlight that there have been 30 years worth of shooters since then.

ACDC like most radio rock of that era is incredibly bad

bro shut the gently caress up

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my god.... one away from collecting the entire triforce....

Wait, what's the third one?

Edit: to make it as clear as possible for KingSlime...

No one is saying that mandatory lesbian has to like doom. No one. In fact no one really cares whether they like it or not.

We are picking at the seemingly sincere claim they made that, since Doom came out when they were only 1 year old, THAT'S the reason why they either don't know anything about it, or shouldn't know anything about it.

That logic is incredibly dumb.

That's what all of those posts were about, hth.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 26, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, I did not expect a random licensed game I barely remember existing, like Golden Eye, to show up on Switchflix. Gives me hope they somehow manage to wrangle the rights for Mischief Makers next!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
jet force gemini

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

catgirlgenius posted:

Doom is great and if you dont like then you dont like shooters sorry btw imho

Warcraft 3 is 20 years old and its still better than 90% of the RTS genre. sometimes old games are good. gamedevs from years past werent idiots incapable of making good games or w/e

anyways im playing the Disgaea 4 demo and i think this might be the one i jump into someday. the writing and line delivery are p good! good enough to carry the story mode i think. i have been grinding my units on the first few levels for uhhh a while now

u meant starcraft

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Stux posted:

bro shut the gently caress up

Yes grandpappy, do you want me to turn the AC/DC tape over to side b before I leave for the day or will u be able to manage

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

KingSlime posted:

Yes grandpappy, do you want me to turn the AC/DC tape over to side b before I leave for the day or will u be able to manage

okay at this point it feels like you are just trying too hard to tell the world how much everything that's old sucks or something in some weird, bitter attempt to prove everyone wrong about... Doom? Of all things?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The dark forces defender has LOGGED ON!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dark Forces was the first ever Doomlike I played, and it's extremely ftw. I think they remastered the engine or something and there's a modern version of it that I'm gonna play soon.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

kingslime is a massive [bleep] and should be brutally excised from the thread asap

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

okay at this point it feels like you are just trying too hard to tell the world how much everything that's old sucks or something in some weird, bitter attempt to prove everyone wrong about... Doom? Of all things?

You're reading too much into it. That was just a shot at stux.

Like whatever you like. Just stop whining about it on this thread!

An Actual Princess posted:

kingslime is a massive [bleep] and should be brutally excised from the thread asap

Dumb gimmick, leave this kind of stuff to stux pal. He's actually funny

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

An Actual Princess posted:

I finished tristrat. Cool game but I was definitely ready for it to be over by the end. rudolph and medina were my mvps. now I can dig into engage

according to the art book rudolph was originally gonna have a wolf buddy. can you imagine...

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Stux posted:

u meant starcraft

i have a soft spot for warcraft 3 but yeah ill concede thats the more correct claim

also a bit offtopic but i just realized Rhythm Heaven Megamix never got a physical release so that looks to be the final 3DS game i buy before the shop shuts down. anyone into rhythm games might wanna look into that. rip.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Looper posted:

according to the art book rudolph was originally gonna have a wolf buddy. can you imagine...

that would be sick. he was already op

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

catgirlgenius posted:

Doom is great and if you dont like then you dont like shooters sorry btw imho

Oh thank goodness I was starting to think there was something wrong with me with all this Doom talk. :ohdear: Yeah, I don't care for shooters, Doom included.

I love Splatoon tho.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

American McGay posted:

Dark Forces was the first ever Doomlike I played, and it's extremely ftw. I think they remastered the engine or something and there's a modern version of it that I'm gonna play soon.

Dark Forces 2 is one of my favorite shooters ever, it had these absolutely gigantic levels which kicked rear end

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Neon white is my favorite shooter. Doom 2016 was incredibly sick though and is probably my actual favorite modern shooter.

I'm a huge fan of the bioshock games, but I do think the shooting is a little weak on those, the story and aesthetics carry it. Same with borderlands, pretty generic and repetitive shooting, but the RPG mechanics are addicting and borderlands 2 had an awesome overworld

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Yeah bioshock is a strand(ed) type game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i forgot if it was the demo level of Dark Forces 2 but I remember this one which was in this fuel plant and had these absolutely gigantic fuel pipes with huge shutters you went through and the scale of it was just bad rear end

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
When I played doom as a kid our computer could not handle the music. So it was this eerie shooter where the silence created a lot of tension, punctuated by the sound effects. I didn't know for years that there actually was a soundtrack of plagiarized butt rock.

Nowadays when I play it, I turn the music off :colbert:

Unless it's doom 64, the music in that one kicks rear end

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

People are projecting way too much into innocuous comments like "I was 1 when doom came out, I simply don't know anything about it" or making up guys in their head to get mad at. Chill out. It's okay if people don't play the same games you do.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

When I played doom as a kid our computer could not handle the music. So it was this eerie shooter where the silence created a lot of tension, punctuated by the sound effects. I didn't know for years that there actually was a soundtrack of plagiarized butt rock.

Nowadays when I play it, I turn the music off :colbert:

Unless it's doom 64, the music in that one kicks rear end

this is sick and twisted op. i cant believe you

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

THe moderators of the Something Awful forums have got to do something about sicko pervert posts like this

they should kill the op

in doom

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Can you guys just talk about video games without gaslighting people about abnormal psychology or talking about how normal you are or whatever lol

You're asking an awful lot out of a Ferrari fan.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
gaslighting, gatekeeping, girlbossing etc is simply a way #passione manifests itself

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Who the hell is gonna pick White Chocolate for the Splatfest? Y'all are cops and also eat sugary candle-wax. :colbert:

The Kins posted:

Envious of the person who has not played Doom 1 & 2 because they've got a pretty fun time ahead of them for pretty cheap.

You know what? My main (not only!) FPS is/was Left 4 Dead, and I think I'm gonna give Doom 1 & 2 a shot (:haw:) this weekend. On the PC, though, trying to play a FPS on Switch controller sounds like a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Splatfest seems like a good excuse to drop XBC3 for a bit....