Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Never forget

https://mobile.twitter.com/thejimcornette/status/405356913535115264?lang=en

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/412422147575787521

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The Hausu Usher posted:

(right click - unmute)

https://i.imgur.com/4198ZLc.mp4

"Oh and by the way, if it was Tony or whoever else stood up. Or if it was the fans just by popular demand or whatever. *cheering noises* Or the wrestlers, everybody".

quote:

and i saw a bunch of tweets when I got up this morning from people tagging the various Warner Brother TBS accounts and by the way we've mentioned on the experience i've had dozens and dozens of people tweet or email saying that's the no good son of a bitch and of course it's all different names but do you think they finally got tired of fielding all these angry tweets from wrestling fans and I assume emails

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

It's not the same thing as taking credit for the tribute, is it? Especially as he ends giving credit to "Tony or whoever".

Anyway, great tribute last night. There were tears.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

he told his listeners to find out who it was and then they started harassing random WBD employees and wink wink maybe that helped wink wink

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness, it is a fine line. Tagging the TBS Twitter account or the corporate WBD ones about the issue is a perfectly reasonable thing to suggest fans do. Asking them to harass a specific individual, especially without confirmation if it's even the right person, is not.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Dear Seth,

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Hausu Usher posted:

It's not the same thing as taking credit for the tribute, is it? Especially as he ends giving credit to "Tony or whoever".

loving hell, guy. Cornette is a massive shithead and you're not going to well actually everyone here into loving him. Dude is seriously claiming his moron followers harassed Warner Bros into allowing Mark Briscoe on TV and adding in a "or maybe it was Tony or whoever" in some kind of mealy mouthed attempt at impartiality.

Yeah love to turn a beloved wrestler's death into an opportunity to big myself up, what a loving ghoulish shithead.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 26, 2023

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

loving hell, guy. Cornette is a massive shithead and you're not going to well actually everyone here into loving him. Dude is seriously claiming his moron followers harassed Warner Bros into allowing Mark Briscoe on TV and adding in a "or maybe it was Tony or whoever" in some kind of mealy mouthed attempt at impartiality.

Yeah love to turn a beloved wrestler's death into an opportunity to big myself up, what a loving ghoulish shithead.

You're just getting angry over a perceived thing that he didn't say, it's all just confirmation bias. From saying he is taking credit for Mark's return to that he had Terry Funk break Taker's streak to Wrestlemania (disproved with a screenshot within about 3 posts) it's the same Arrested Development narrator voice thing again and again ITT.

HE SAID THIS!

"He, in fact, hadn't said this".

If you hear him take credit for it (rather than talking about wrestling fans in general taking to Twitter) then feel free to clip and share. I think he cares a lot about the Briscoes and his podcasts sections on them have always been loving and respectful, as well as entertaining. Sorry you can't enjoy even just some fun Jay stories.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 26, 2023

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I will not clip and share, because I don't listen to lovely podcasts run by lovely racist dudes just to see if they said something not lovely for 10 seconds. Thanks.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
he's not claiming that asking his audience to harass random people worked, he's just genuinely curious if it happened to work

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Uh, speak for yourself. I will now decide to overlook his rampant sexism, misogyny, racism and the fact that he's a weird sex creep, and declare my never-ending devotion to Cornette. All hail the Cornman, the Cult of Cornette is forever.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Has he ever sold a cornfederate flag I think his fans would really like it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

did he ever have a kayfabe explanation for bringing a tennis racket (literally the stupidest weapon/prop of all time) to the ring

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kvlt! posted:

did he ever have a kayfabe explanation for bringing a tennis racket (literally the stupidest weapon/prop of all time) to the ring
I did used to listen to his stories about a decade ago when doing a lot of commuting, and I am pretty sure it was A) it was easy to explain always having with you when travelling as opposed to something that was actually a weapon and B) it immediately suggested he was an idle rich boy who had time for fancy Yankee activities like tennis

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I just saw this for the first time and lol. get hosed idiot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK_XnHYXzaE

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

To expand, Cornette's original gimmick was his mother was very wealthy and essentially bought him his career. The tennis racket was code for 'something rich people did' and also a handy foreign object. Cornette's mother did legit play a big role in his career as she used to drive him to events to where he'd be a photographer and whatever else they needed in the Tennessee territory.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the info re: the racket everyone. Makes a little more sense in context.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

tennis racket is less stupid than a sword or a large hammer you cant use like a normal person without killing your opponent so you have to do some extrordinarily weird hit that makes no sense. I dont even remember ever seeing him smash the racket over someones head leaving it around their neck. You can also go racket akimbo and really lay into someone. it can even be an electric racket or barbwire. The more i type the more i think the tennis racket was wasted by old JC. Someone needs to reclaim that from him.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Has he ever sold a cornfederate flag I think his fans would really like it

Usually this would be a gotcha but given this is about Mark and Jay who literally wore confederate ring gear at times in both shorts and headbands and title belts it might be a bit of an own goal.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

tennis racket is less stupid than a sword or a large hammer you cant use like a normal person without killing your opponent so you have to do some extrordinarily weird hit that makes no sense. I dont even remember ever seeing him smash the racket over someones head leaving it around their neck. You can also go racket akimbo and really lay into someone. it can even be an electric racket or barbwire. The more i type the more i think the tennis racket was wasted by old JC. Someone needs to reclaim that from him.

i thought he would literally just carry around an empty tennis racket bag and hit people with that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

i thought he would literally just carry around an empty tennis racket bag and hit people with that

Nah, it was an actual tennis racket. He used to bend the handle giving wrestlers like Animal and Hawk shots with them because they were so solid.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

well it was always sold as a loaded racket. there was a racket in that racket cover, and you could tell since the handle sticks out and they're very uniquely shaped handles, but also something else. fully loaded. probably some big guns and bullets

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Alaois posted:

thats even lamer. Am i alone on this tennis racket coolness?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Hirez posted:

That was the dumbest way to take that, no wonder he broke his legs. The moron just had to take it as a back bump.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Isnt cornette famously one of those dingleberries who purposely did not get trained so he wouldnt be asked to take bumps

And then he let himself get bullied into taking bumps and just took them wrong and got hurt nearly every time

I have faint memory of cornette saying so on a youshoot or something

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinche Rudo posted:

That was the dumbest way to take that, no wonder he broke his legs. The moron just had to take it as a back bump.

Ray Traylor was supposed to catch him, but missed him. When Cornette used to tell it he made it seem like Traylor just missed him but when you watch it Cornette is swinging back and forth and loving falls away from him.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hirez posted:

this does indeed, as Marie Kondo would say, spark joy

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

rotinaj posted:

Isnt cornette famously one of those dingleberries who purposely did not get trained so he wouldnt be asked to take bumps

And then he let himself get bullied into taking bumps and just took them wrong and got hurt nearly every time

I have faint memory of cornette saying so on a youshoot or something

Hirez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUGi2X42sQ

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lid posted:

Usually this would be a gotcha but given this is about Mark and Jay who literally wore confederate ring gear at times in both shorts and headbands and title belts it might be a bit of an own goal.

Yeah but their names don’t lend themselves to any good racist flag puns so :shrug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kvlt! posted:

I also remember an ep of NWA where some faces got a hold of it and tore off the cover, and revealed that Cornette had taped things like a horseshoe to the racket so it would be effective as a weapon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Ray Traylor was supposed to catch him, but missed him. When Cornette used to tell it he made it seem like Traylor just missed him but when you watch it Cornette is swinging back and forth and loving falls away from him.

Also Bubba is staring up into the arena lights which couldn't have helped.

Davros1 posted:

I also remember an ep of NWA where some faces got a hold of it and tore off the cover, and revealed that Cornette had taped things like a horseshoe to the racket so it would be effective as a weapon.

Cornette said he would actually put a horseshoe in there if he thought the crowd was going to be very riled so he could have something of substance to swat at them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah he claimed it contained a horseshoe, a chain around the outside, and a cut out metal pan. But he also claims fans in the 70s believed wrestling was real, so who knows.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Hausu Usher posted:

You're just getting angry over a perceived thing that he didn't say, it's all just confirmation bias. From saying he is taking credit for Mark's return to that he had Terry Funk break Taker's streak to Wrestlemania (disproved with a screenshot within about 3 posts) it's the same Arrested Development narrator voice thing again and again ITT.

HE SAID THIS!

If you hear him take credit for it (rather than talking about wrestling fans in general taking to Twitter) then feel free to clip and share. I think he cares a lot about the Briscoes and his podcasts sections on them have always been loving and respectful, as well as entertaining. Sorry you can't enjoy even just some fun Jay stories.

Well, I'm convinced.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Hausu Usher posted:

HE SAID THIS!

Shut up

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Apologies if this was posted recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDQCXdwLQR4

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hausu, what was it like being on episode 1 of powerslap

Duke Pukem