Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Aglet56 posted:

the whole thing with the company's cruise lines being mired in scandal definitely suffered from the TV writing process, because in season 1 the exact details of whatever horrible crimes their cruise lines did weren't relevant, since the whole thing was kind of a farcical scenario for tom to get unwittingly trapped in. then in later seasons it became this huge existential threat to the company with congressional hearings and everything, but they never bothered to flesh out exactly what the crimes were so it's too abstract to have any stakes

???

p sure it was revealed to be rampant sexual abuse (including by waystar exec/higher-up “mo” lester) and covering up deaths of foreign born employees (“no real person involved”), and then destroying evidence of these crimes

Wraith of J.O.I. has issued a correction as of 20:24 on Jan 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

No, bc he looked like the one from the TV show

PerniciousKnid posted:

Doubt it because he basically looked like John Astin.

I completely forgot that show existed

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

i say swears online posted:

my friends all loved the show but universally hated guzman because he didn't look like raul julia. they had never heard of the comic strip

you need new friends

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

???

p sure it was revealed to be rampant sexual abuse (including by waystar exec/higher-up “mo” lester) and covering up deaths of foreign born employees (“no real person involved”), and then destroying evidence of these crimes

yeah it was pretty clear

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Raul Julia was a way better Gomez but it's cause the writers gave him fun poo poo to do in the movies. Gomez doesn't get to do anything in Wednesday but a few lines with Morticia then be an offscreen plot point

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

???

it's been a while so i'll grant that i may not have been paying attention

waystar is supposed to be a combination of disney and newscorp, so imo it's not very credible that they'd get the point of congress holding hearings, threatening legislation, etc. over these crimes, all of which have occurred at the actual factual disney and newscorp without consequence. but maybe succession takes place in a more optimistic universe

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

2 months? I need my Romulus fix now

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

anyone keep up with three body problem? tencent youtube is up to episode 8 now, which means about 5 hours of content. is it exciting yet?

not yet, they just got done with the first round of 3body.com

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Simpsons and MST3K were key to me developing my sense of humor. also both have the thing going on where when you're a kid like 70% of the jokes go over your head so when you revisit it as an adult it's a whole new thing.

yeah there's a bunch of cool gay jokes I never got!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
hell yeah

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1618693187522146307?s=20

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Aglet56 posted:

the main appeal of succession seems to be the costuming, which to be fair is very good

it's a ton of fantastic actors at the top of their game with a script full of pithy dialog, there's a lot to like about it even if the plotting season-to-season gets repetitive

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I pity the goons who reflexively hate this show because “it’s just another show about rich people, no thank you” because it’s fun to watch

To be fair, this is exactly what it seemed to me after watching three episodes.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

wooooooooooooooooooooo

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Simpsons is so old it is eligible to run for president

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

hell i'd vote for it

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
https://youtu.be/1oUXUn30hts

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

anyone keep up with three body problem? tencent youtube is up to episode 8 now, which means about 5 hours of content. is it exciting yet?

I’m going to keep watching it out of curiosity but so far the only thing that has happened is the 2 main characters played a 2008 weird VR game.

overall the story is interesting to me and curious how it goes but the pacing and the cinematography is starting to be a bit off putting. maybe it’s the video camera/frame rate look.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Stop, already dead, etc

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

HONK HONK

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Clip-On Fedora posted:

To be fair, this is exactly what it seemed to me after watching three episodes.

I think episode 4 was where it clicked for me that Succession wasn't a drama, but actually just a version of Arrested Development where they're billionaires instead of millionaires

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hope it keeps going for long enough that Matt Groening dies and becomes a Tom Clancy style brand name

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Justin Roiland's whole mainstream career was less than a third of the run of the Simpsons so far

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Atrocious Joe posted:

Justin Roiland's whole mainstream career was less than a third of the run of the Simpsons so far

His whole mainstream career so far!

He'll probably have a long run in Christian animation or something.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
He's going to make some cringey cartoon for like the Daily Wire and it's going to complain about the hypocrisy of the liberal elite and cancel culture and he's going to make feminists talk in the Lemongrab voice from Adventure Time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the crazy thing about Simpsons still going is that it's not any cheaper to make, the main VAs are making beaucoup dollores per episode even if their animation costs plateaued after the shift to HD (and I’m sure they haven't). their viewership is less than 1/6 what it was 20 years ago so they can't be killing it in advertising

I don't understand it. Fox can keep milking the IP in syndication/streaming/merchandise/licensing for years with the 750 episodes they have, why produce more

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
House of Cosby remake starring Bill Cosby

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

indigi posted:

the crazy thing about Simpsons still going is that it's not any cheaper to make, the main VAs are making beaucoup dollores per episode even if their animation costs plateaued after the shift to HD (and I’m sure they haven't). their viewership is less than 1/6 what it was 20 years ago so they can't be killing it in advertising

I don't understand it. Fox can keep milking the IP in syndication/streaming/merchandise/licensing for years with the 750 episodes they have, why produce more

the show feels load-bearing at this point, like theres some licensing deal or major network contact made almost four decades ago that involves new episodes and renegotiating it would be more costly than producing more seasons

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

i'm hardly the first to notice it, but succession's overarching plot is basically the same thing over and over: one or more of the kids scheme to take over the company, logan seems like he's hosed, but at the last second he pulls a legalistic trick to kick their rear end and defuse their takeover. logan gets big mad at whoever tried to dethrone him but ultimately nobody faces any consequences

the main appeal of succession seems to be the costuming, which to be fair is very good

https://youtu.be/dw7alNjkYro

The main appeal of Succession is the writing, directing, and acting, which is all excellent.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

White Noise is really good until the midway point and then it loses all its steam

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its cool that succession is legitimately episodic and any escalating tension always serves as a setup for a joke. its completely different to how every other prestige series is written

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

indigi posted:

americans are deeply afraid of change

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

im guessing that the simpsons episode machine is just really efficiently run and itd be way too expensive and risky for fox to try having all that talent make something thats just as likely to be hated and flop in the current climate

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

velma season 7 will fit nicely in its timeslot

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah replacing the simpsons would be just hard

you'd have enough budget to make 20 cartoons, a ton of people suddenly able to do it, not many actually good ideas and vanishingly few people to watch it

its lose lose

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Stop, already dead, etc

Why do you want the best metaphor there is for American stagnation to go away?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
new Simpsons episodes don't get as many viewers as the msnbc morning show it can't be that difficult to replace

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

indigi posted:

new Simpsons episodes don't get as many viewers as the msnbc morning show it can't be that difficult to replace

they could replace it with simpsons reruns and they'd probably get more viewers. the problem is they'd be cancelling "the simpsons", not "the current iteration of the simpsons"

like i don't think someone would go apeshit over them canceling the today show or whatever, even if it's been around as long (or longer idk). people are insanely passionate about cartoons they don't watch :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There would absolutely be an unhinged backlash if The Simpsons was cancelled. Whether that means anything is another matter