Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Doug sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I'd much rather watch an old episode of Doug, than a new episode of The Simpsons

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
watching the new episode and lol that THE SIMPSONS DO A VLOG is an episode in the year two thousand and twenty three

features an extremely timely reference to Hot Ones

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
did you know that in the SImpsons universe the Minions are called "Nom-noms"?
it's very funny

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
so glad I lived long enough to hear Homer Simpson say "NFT" and hear Lisa Simpson say "I almost forgot I could LOL IRL"
time to die :anime:

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
What a time to be alive.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Recess and Hey Arnold were the best Dougs

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Tarkus posted:

The episode is called "The Saga of Carl" S24E21
oh, like “Carl Sagan.” that’s funny

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it's very funny

gently caress, it's bad enough that Minions have to exist in ONE universe

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

YeahTubaMike posted:

They exist in all the universes that made it to the year 2010.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

emgeejay posted:

oh, like “Carl Sagan.” that’s funny

Carl's Saga would have been a simpler and stronger reference, but it's on-brand zombie Simpsons to to get distracted by an almost non-joke

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Carl's Saga would have been a simpler and stronger reference, but it's on-brand zombie Simpsons to to get distracted by an almost non-joke

I think it’s a reach to tie the episode title into Carl Sagan, and I think they were going for “saga” as in Viking prose since the episode dealt with Iceland and Vikings. Carl’s name is just a coincidence.

But hey, I could be wrong and stupid! At least one of those things is true.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it's very funny

What is Gru called? Mru?

Serious answer: I bet it’s something terrible like Gruel or Grunt or something. Also,

YeahTubaMike posted:

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 10, 2023

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

Carl's Again, but i dunno how that would work

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lisa is an Elon Musk fan

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Punkin Spunkin posted:

it's very funny

nearly thwarted by a word already starting with M

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
"Mminions."
"Al, wait."

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Mm&Mms

gently caress, they did the same thing with N&Ns.

cracking the code to reveal a smaller, shittier code

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sourdough Sam posted:

You people have no magic in your hearts.

Empty Sandwich posted:

did you guys just not grow up watching Looney Tunes or what

hot take: i thought those sfx were annoying even in shows like LT

Data Graham posted:

It's not lost on kids when things are made cheaply. I remember being annoyed at how choppy and shoddy the animation was in every 80s Transformers episode even as I obsessed over whatever was going on.

:hai:

even as a dumb kid that ate every piece of animated material i could get my hands, i was more than aware when shows like transformers, G.I. joe, the littles, the kennedy studio episodess of tiny toons, pup named scooby doo, the first seasons of the simpsons, doug, rugrats, fantastic four, etc. all looked like absolute poo poo.

Beartaco posted:

Meanwhile I grew up watching anime where I was mesmerized by 3 frames played on a loop for 10 minutes while people prattled on about power levels.

yes, but at least with anime, the studios know how to judiciously spend their animation budgets. so in exchange for those repeated power up animations and effortless lip flaps, we got some absolutely kickass action sequences. most american shows at the time couldn't even manage that much. they were usually garbage all around.

speaking of which, one kind of funny thing i noticed recently was upon my rewatch of the second season of the Fantastic Four series, you have a completely inverse situation from the one described above. whereas instead of cutting corners on more mundane moments like characters just sitting/standing around talking and then focusing your real money and effort on action sequences, you had the reverse going on. wherein the fight/action sequences are surprisingly good (or at the very least, solid and competent. see: thing vs the hulk, the FF vs Terrax, the FF vs the Skrulls, etc), but the instances where characters are just talking has all kinds of spastic, needless animation going on.

The Moon Monster posted:

Those were definitely a lower tier of episodes, but there was an era of Tom and Jerry that was so lovely Cartoon Network almost never aired it. I think they were made in Czechoslovakia in the 60s or something. I vaguely remember a fishing trip one and an ancient Greece one. They made the Reoowr Ft Ft ones look like a golden age. They actually had some of the most interesting T&J scenarios, but they must have had a shoestring budget because the quality just wasn't there.

Das Boo posted:

100%! I have very distinct memories of disappointment from being 4 years old and seeing the start of the next Tom and Jerry short was one of those ugly ones. (Reooowr! Fft! Fft!) Also being absolutely mesmerized by the multiplane camera shots in early Popeye despite having no clue what was going on. I didn't understand the whys, but even to a toddler the theatrical shorts were the "good" ones.

oh god YES those episodes were loving atrocious. i remember reading/hearing that the director for episodes hated the series and was kind of a weirdo freak himself

You Are A Elf posted:

Doug sucked rear end. He always made everything about himself and was a fuckass friend to Skeeter. One episode dealt with the revelation that Skeeter was a literal genius, and Doug became insanely jealous of him because he felt he couldn’t control dumb ol’ Skeeter anymore. If I was Skeeter, I would have told Doug to gently caress off after that HONK! HONK!

je1 healthcare posted:

I didn't care for it at the time but I was still content to watch it as a kid when nothing else was on. It felt too vanilla and moral compared to the edginess and gross-out humor that was all the rage in the 90s, which is all I was into

As an adult I can somewhat appreciate what they were going for. Doug was self-centered, insecure and jealous at times which is entirely normal for a 6th grader and maybe kids should learn how to deal with those feelings. The problem is that few kids watching actually wanted to see themselves in Doug. He was lame in the way most middle-schoolers are. They wanted to relate to superheroes.

Yep, this logo told me that we were in store for their B-material. Even the music sounded way cheaper, that is clearly not a full orchestra

doug (the show) definitely is vanilla but it's basically the t.v. version of comfort food for me. plus has a pretty great soundtrack!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

jim jenkins story

oh my god i'd wanna curl up and die after that :lmao:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

You Are A Elf posted:

Doug sucked rear end. He always made everything about himself and was a fuckass friend to Skeeter. One episode dealt with the revelation that Skeeter was a literal genius, and Doug became insanely jealous of him because he felt he couldn’t control dumb ol’ Skeeter anymore. If I was Skeeter, I would have told Doug to gently caress off after that HONK! HONK!

Late, but what was that one Doug-themed webcomic that ended with HONK HONK! after some extremely dark poo poo that I don't remember had happened previously?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Late, but what was that one Doug-themed webcomic that ended with HONK HONK! after some extremely dark poo poo that I don't remember had happened previously?

basically skeeter was trying to get doug to acknowledge that he raped patti

ah, early 2000s edgelord internet humor..

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

There's also one where Doug is a jew and skeeter gradually transforms into Hitler.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mr Interweb posted:

For some reason I thought it was that he killed her, but it turns out that I was right about being wrong.

HONK HONK! :haw:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the one from early December, Moe gets jealous of the guy who owns Toot's Music Store (who is not the guy from the episode where Homer has to get Lisa a reed but is rather some scuzzy dude voiced by Will Forte) because that dude coaches the championship hockey team.

Moe starts coaching, but his only good player is Bart and all the teams know they can just go after Bart and win. Moe recruits Nelson to be his goon and sends him to Top Goon Academy. Moe and Nelson bond, but Bart shits on Moe and Nelson checks him into a wall, hurting him enough to end his hockey season. Moe kicks Nelson off the team, so Nelson goes to the mob to join up as an enforcer. Nelson gets tasked with beating up a deadbeat, but Moe bursts in to stop him. They reveal the deadbeat is the Toot's Music Store guy, but Moe still talks Nelson out of it.

One of the better jokes, Homer complains he can't blow off hockey games where he has to make chit chat with dads who share too much about their marriages, and it cuts to Chief Wiggum talking about how he's a foot fetishist, but his wife ain't into it. Later Wiggum creepily inquires about Marge's footwear. I dunno these were actually good line reads.

Honestly, OK episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Could they not call them Henches, or does Venture Bros have the copyright

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Goon, also called enforcer, is a position in hockey.

See also:
The 2011 Canadian sports comedy The Goon (2011, d.p. Bobby Shore) starring Sean William Scott (American Pie, Dudes Where's My Car, Evolution) as the titular goon.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Goon, also called enforcer, is a position in hockey.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They sit in the box and tell the other team to turn on their monitor

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
:iceburn: but literal

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
anyway here are the writer's for award nominees for... animation? adult animation?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mantis42 posted:

They sit in the box and tell the other team to turn on their monitor

This made me laugh harder than anything The Simpsons have done in 20 years. A nice snort chuckle.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the newest one, the Simpsons are family lifestyle channel YouTubers. How it happened is chronicled by a series of other YouTubers retrospectives on the family (various Springfielders).

Mostly this is a vignette showcase putting the Simpsons in various YouTube styles. Marge has a Hot Ones style interview channel, Bart a prank one, etc. They get megafamous and sell out.

Milhouse does a takedown video. Lenny and Carl have a Joe Rogan-style chat show where they talk poo poo on Homer. Patti and Selma have an ASMR channel.

The Simpsons disappear mysteriously and all of Springfield descends on their mansion to get exclusive content on what happened to them. It turns out they were stuck in their panic room because they hired a contractor who had previously only built NFTs of houses and put the door in backward. While trapped inside, they bonded and decided to shut down the youtube channel.

It's revealed that this has all been George RR Martin watching YouTube instead of writing.

Bad ep don't watch

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
George RR, you scamp!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

In the newest one, the Simpsons are family lifestyle channel YouTubers. How it happened is chronicled by a series of other YouTubers retrospectives on the family (various Springfielders).

Mostly this is a vignette showcase putting the Simpsons in various YouTube styles. Marge has a Hot Ones style interview channel, Bart a prank one, etc. They get megafamous and sell out.

Milhouse does a takedown video. Lenny and Carl have a Joe Rogan-style chat show where they talk poo poo on Homer. Patti and Selma have an ASMR channel.

The Simpsons disappear mysteriously and all of Springfield descends on their mansion to get exclusive content on what happened to them. It turns out they were stuck in their panic room because they hired a contractor who had previously only built NFTs of houses and put the door in backward. While trapped inside, they bonded and decided to shut down the youtube channel.

It's revealed that this has all been George RR Martin watching YouTube instead of writing.

Bad ep don't watch

Lowest Point of The Simpson - Bad ep don't watch

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Bad ep don't watch

It's about time someone called him on it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1618693813769306112

I'm sure the lowest point is yet to come. We just need to keep digging.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Can't wait until Marge's voice is so degraded that it just sounds like the distress transmission from Alien (1979)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Fuuuuuuuck, TWO more seasons? Why?? :psyduck:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Fuuuuuuuck, TWO more seasons? Why?? :psyduck:

They'll never stop the Simpsons

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Two more season so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i'd say this show is ending when one of the family members' VAs die, but you know deepfaking voices IS getting pretty believable so