Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Higashioka to receive Thurman Munson Award

https://www.mlb.com/news/kyle-higashioka-named-thurman-munson-award-honoree

Good for him but this really jumped out at me, wow

quote:

The longest-tenured player in the Yankees' organization, Higashioka is an avid supporter of the MLB Youth Academy in Compton, Calif., of which he is a proud alum. The 32-year-old has dedicated a good deal of his free time to ensuring that future Major Leaguers in inner-city neighborhoods have an equal opportunity to thrive as those that grew up in less urban environments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

xbilkis posted:

CC Sabathia will be a first ballot inductee (into my new institution, the Hall of Very Large Baseball Players. Annual attendance will more than double the so called "Hall of Fame")

If this Hall does not feature a full-body statue of Bartolo "Big Sexy" Colon running bases, I will be writing a letter to my Congressman

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Dana Brown will be a very good hire if he’s allowed to be. Big loss for the Braves system at a time when they needed to be restocking the minors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since he had an entire list of bootlick candidates, I'm hopeful that will be the case.

Also he's now the only black GM in the league and only the second black FO lead exec (Chisox EVP Kenny Williams being the other)

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1618694133727760384

Everyone thought it was Bags calling the shots but real heads know who the power behind the throne is

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 26, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Huh - actually very happy with the hire. That's been the strongest part of the Braves for a while now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TIL that it took Jimmie Foxx 7! years of voting to get in the Hall

Keep in mind that the 500 HR club was like 4 people at this point

https://twitter.com/baseballhall/status/1618695321810247701?s=46&t=aj4WRw9P3GCuOwdNYuqGSQ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mel Ott is a first ballot crossword clue HoF along with Leo Durocher

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Good hire. Keep the wins coming.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/baseballhall/status/1618695321810247701?s=46&t=aj4WRw9P3GCuOwdNYuqGSQ

Yeah, and 3rd-year Mel Ott was one of the four lmao.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FlamingLiberal posted:

Were there different eligibility requirements back then? Foxx retired in 1945 and was elected to the Hall in 1951.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

I think it's mostly down to the awkward angles batsmen have to take.

Cricket, strategically, feels a lot like what would happen if the shift wasn't just allowed but taken to the extreme. It's like 98% trying to intentionally hitting it where they ain't, while the defense is doing as much as possible to be in the best possible position for the hitters tendencies while acknowledging that they can't be everywhere and just conceding that they might get got.
my assumption has always been that this is a result of the wide flat bat making it far more feasible for hitters to place their balls in play

howe_sam posted:

Were there different eligibility requirements back then? Foxx retired in 1945 and was elected to the Hall in 1951.
He didn't play in '43, maybe it was just 2 years after retirement, and he only came back in '44 and '45 because of the war or something? Weird though for sure.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 26, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Three future big leaguers on one college squad seems like a lot

e: 4, Kevin Morton was also on that team

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Once again the Astros are proving themselves to be the model franchise for all others to emulate. The team also honored MLB's moral compass last night.

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1618019578294206464

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

That basically describes Vanderbilt's team every year.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Are college batting averages usually that insane?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Are college batting averages usually that insane?

Yeah. The dude batting over .500 never made the majors.

I watch a bit of UT baseball (can't stand aluminum bats) and there are always guys with like 1.500 OPS

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

zoux posted:

Yeah. The dude batting over .500 never made the majors.

I watch a bit of UT baseball (can't stand aluminum bats) and there are always guys with like 1.500 OPS

I think the Hispanic Titanic (great nickname) led the team with a 1.3 OPS last year.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

howe_sam posted:

The election process has changed numerous times over the years. There's lots of players that you think of as top tier HOFers that weren't first ballot. Some are of course just a product of the first election covering 70ish years of baseball. Only five made the cut. Sorry Cy Young, Tris Speaker, Nap Lajoie and Hornsby. No first ballot for you. Heck - Hornsby took five years.

But even after that glut - you'd think Yankee greats DiMaggio or Berra would have been 1st ballots? Nope. Not you either, Whitey Ford.

Eddie Matthews took 5 years despite having 500+ HRs - good for 6th all time when he retired.

Edit: I think I've mentioned this book myself before cause it has some funny Bill James predictions gone wrong, but it has a pretty interesting history of how the HOF's voting process has changed over the years.

https://www.amazon.com/Whatever-Happened-Hall-Fame-James/dp/0684800888

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 26, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

I think the Hispanic Titanic (great nickname) led the team with a 1.3 OPS last year.

Melendez is a fuckin beast

Here's the BA leaders for last season Div I

Who was the last guy to even sniff .400 in the bigs, John Olerud? Joe Mauer?

e: Tony Gwynn hit .394 in 1994 but it woulda been an asterisk

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 26, 2023

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1618702868617338883

Baltimore gets a boring but dependable SP, which they needed. Oakland has more SP prospects than they have room for (https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/athletics-rumors-starting-rotation.html) so this clears a spot in the rotation for Kyle Muller or someone, and they pick up a shortstop prospect with upside. Seems like a win win.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Really wish NCAA D1 would switch to wood bats.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Once again the Astros are proving themselves to be the model franchise for all others to emulate. The team also honored MLB's moral compass last night.

He never snitched on the cheaters so they’re right, good teammate

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sab0921 posted:

I loving despise this person and his employers but i also have to respect this level of trolling and heelwork.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
People often respect their own, it's true

e:

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1618300645005754370

Beltre, Utley and of course Bartolo to go with Helton and Wagner

Honorable mention to Wright for MLB having to sabotage the face of MLB voting at the zero hour

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 26, 2023

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I loving despise this person and his employers but i also have to respect this level of trolling and heelwork.

Game recognize game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

People often respect their own, it's true

e:

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/1618300645005754370

Beltre, Utley and of course Bartolo to go with Helton and Wagner

Honorable mention to Wright for MLB having to sabotage the face of MLB voting at the zero hour

Beltre next year, Utley and Mauer eventually. imo

Uh oh Mauer only has 55 WAR...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'd put Holiday in

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe once he finally touches home plate

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

zoux posted:

Uh oh Mauer only has 55 WAR...

that's over the average HoF catcher WAR

plus winning an MVP as a catcher is pretty loving rare, I think he gets in pretty easily

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think Mauer may get in just because he's one of those rare above average offensive catchers

It just may not be for a few years though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Plus Mauer has the whole gauzy from Minnesota, spent his whole career with the Twins narrative...

and those MLB: The Show ads.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Is Buster Posey going to be the only person from the Even Year Bullshit teams to get into the hall?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

General Bullshit posted:

Is Buster Posey going to be the only person from the Even Year Bullshit teams to get into the hall?

Does Bruce Bochy count?

A better question is: should anyone else from those teams go in?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
MadBum probably gets put in by a committee at some point.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That was my first thought, but besides singlehandedly beating the Royals, is his resume that impressive?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

General Bullshit posted:

Speaking of which, as dominant as peak Lincecum was it's insane to me that he finished with less than 20 bWAR

15.2 of that came in two seasons!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Penisaurus Sex posted:

MadBum probably gets put in by a committee at some point.

It's a shame he decided to be an absolute braindead loving moron and gently caress his pitching shoulder up forever in a dirt bike accident because if he continued to pitch into his mid 30's as a 3-5ish WAR guy he probably gets close enough to 60 WAR that he'd get in on the ballot with his legendary postseason pitching record.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

e: 4, Kevin Morton was also on that team

My alma mater had the likes of Longo, Tulo, Weaver, Jason Vargas, Marco Estrada and Jared Hughes roll through in 2004-2005. Longo and Tulo playing third and short is a pretty good left side of the infield. I don't think Long Beach has had anyone of note since.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

zoux posted:

Who was the last guy to even sniff .400 in the bigs, John Olerud? Joe Mauer?

e: Tony Gwynn hit .394 in 1994 but it woulda been an asterisk

George Brett - .390 in 1980.

Before that, Rod Carew hit .388 in '77.

A few other guys have gotten close during the season within the last 20 years or so, but ended up pulling back. Ichiro and Nomar come to mind, and Gwynn had a few other years hitting over .370, I think. A few Coors guys (Larry, Andres, Helton) have gotten up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/michaelschwab13/status/1618697442916171777?s=46&t=_sUq5INHeHNdGLe5jFvu-Q