Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

Could just be the cameraman and a jerk were in cahoots. If you see a video of someone driving down the road hitting people's mailboxes with a baseball bat, its not like the homeowners were in on it.

I can’t imagine going through life assuming the worst to this degree lmao, it was a badass trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jakabite posted:

I can’t imagine going through life assuming the worst to this degree lmao, it was a badass trick

I'm not assuming anything because we don't know either way. I just don't like internet cynics saying everything is fake because otherwise we wouldn't have seen it.

Even if it is a guy being a jerk, the recovery is still badass and worthy of praise.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rov1h10EPg1vmay6q.mp4

also the furry trans hacker who released the No Fly list is pretty badass :3

https://twitter.com/_nyancrimew/status/1616822453845598208

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sonic Adventure 2 (Sega Dreamcast and Nintendo GameCube, 2001)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Go man go!

That is a mullet right?

What's the tune

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"A nearly complete 1st century BCE carnyx found in 2004 at Tintignac, France (the one in the left picture, with a reconstruction in the right). Fashioned as a snarling boar, the carnyx was a war horn used by the Iron Age Celts between c. 200 BCE and c. 200 CE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRIQp4qZrrE

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

The top comment on that video really sums it up:

quote:

People are always saying they wish they’d been born in a different time, but I like living in a time when I can hear stuff like this without being afraid of whoever is playing it...

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I can't imagine why the tall, awkward, top-heavy trumpet fell out of popularity for so many centuries.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Holy poo poo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Buttchocks posted:

I can't imagine why the tall, awkward, top-heavy trumpet fell out of popularity for so many centuries.

people became lamer

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Oh no, my war trumpet is too heavy!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ekuNNN posted:

"A nearly complete 1st century BCE carnyx found in 2004 at Tintignac, France (the one in the left picture, with a reconstruction in the right). Fashioned as a snarling boar, the carnyx was a war horn used by the Iron Age Celts between c. 200 BCE and c. 200 CE"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRIQp4qZrrE

It'd be funny if this isn't how it's played at all. I like to think the celts had some kind of rousing jaunty tune played to keep their spirits up.

Also holy poo poo 65,000 people showed up to he a r that thing played.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Milo and POTUS posted:

Go man go!

That is a mullet right?

What's the tune

A sped up version of KORDHELL - MURDER IN MY MIND:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj4RfirEoQQ

basically all of Kordhell's stuff is :discourse:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It'd be funny if this isn't how it's played at all. I like to think the celts had some kind of rousing jaunty tune played to keep their spirits up.

I would, it sounds like something that you would hear in a small village and go "Holy poo poo, hide the kids and get the weapons, we're all going to die!".

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

seaborgium posted:

I would, it sounds like something that you would hear in a small village and go "Holy poo poo, hide the kids and get the weapons, we're all going to die!".

I'm like 90% sure one of the cosmic Cthulian horror monsters from 'The Mist' made that exact sound. Pretty on the nose with the imagery it evokes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

This is cool and ominous and all, but yeah I'm betting there's some irony in that Celts would use it to toot some jingle like the one they play for televised NFL games.

Time traveler: Hey look, we figured out how to play your ancient war horns! (plays some somber horn solo)

Ancient Celt: It sounds like you are farting into it you moron. It goes like this! (plays Celtic Flight of the Bumblebee)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
It seems unlikely that they would invent an instrument and not, at some point, use it to make every kind of music it's capable of.
The Jewish shofar is only supposed to be used for religious purposes, but my rabbi uses every available opportunity to show off how slightly-less-terrible he's getting at playing the epic sax guy solo on it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They need to use the horn to play something befitting of it, like "Entry of the Gladiators." That song title sounds pretty hardcore.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They need to use the horn to play something befitting of it, like "Entry of the Gladiators." That song title sounds pretty hardcore.

hell yea its a badass song for badass events :black101:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If you like the way the Carnyx sounds, you should check out the music of Colin Stetson. He's a multi-instrumentalist with a focus on horns, and an unorthodox playing style that involves a lot of drones, strange harmonics and mics on his throat and valves for extra timbre and percussive sounds.

If you'd played just the audio from this I would think it was a synthesizer, the haunting resonant peaks he's able to get out of this instrument and others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ndSVeUmMZA

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Mister Speaker posted:

If you like the way the Carnyx sounds, you should check out the music of Colin Stetson. He's a multi-instrumentalist with a focus on horns, and an unorthodox playing style that involves a lot of drones, strange harmonics and mics on his throat and valves for extra timbre and percussive sounds.

If you'd played just the audio from this I would think it was a synthesizer, the haunting resonant peaks he's able to get out of this instrument and others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ndSVeUmMZA

He's done a ton of soundtracks too and is instantly recognizable. Most recent one I saw was The Menu

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Panfilo posted:

This is cool and ominous and all, but yeah I'm betting there's some irony in that Celts would use it to toot some jingle like the one they play for televised NFL games.

Time traveler: Hey look, we figured out how to play your ancient war horns! (plays some somber horn solo)

Ancient Celt: It sounds like you are farting into it you moron. It goes like this! (plays Celtic Flight of the Bumblebee)

Ancient Celt: That's for breathing underwater, you idiot! Why would we carry that into battle??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you were invading doggerland it would make sense.

E: or a fair chunk of southern england at the time, for that matter.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Lady Disdain posted:

The Jewish shofar is only supposed to be used for religious purposes, but my rabbi uses every available opportunity to show off how slightly-less-terrible he's getting at playing the epic sax guy solo on it.

i know exactly the tune for me and the boys at shul to play next rosh hashanah

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Oh, well poo poo; now I want to hear it.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i know exactly the tune for me and the boys at shul to play next rosh hashanah

Usually it's the Catholic Priest's that are into a little Jizz.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

koshmar posted:

Usually it's the Catholic Priest's that are into a little Jizz.

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sadly only the outfit is badass, cause it's a confederate, but still:

quote:

Rebel Captain Samuel Richardson of the 2nd Texas Cavalry Regiment, wearing jaguar hide calzoneras and holsters made in Mexico. 1860s

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Looks like an off duty jersey stripper

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
^That.
Fashion goes in cycles, and unfortunately for that lad, we are not at a point in the cycle at which there is anything badass about animal print clothing.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There is nothing wrong with being a new jersey stripper :colbert:

I prefer it not be real fur but given the time it doesn't bother me as much as he being a dirty reb

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ekuNNN posted:

sadly only the outfit is badass, cause it's a confederate, but still:

Imagine General Patton explaining how he carries ivory handled revolvers because "only a pimp in a Louisiana whore- house carries pearl-handled revolvers"... and then this guy walks in.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cat Hatter posted:

Imagine General Patton explaining how he carries ivory handled revolvers because "only a pimp in a Louisiana whore- house carries pearl-handled revolvers"... and then this guy walks in.

There's no indication of Cap'n Zubaz there has pearl-handled revolvers, though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There's no indication of Cap'n Zubaz there has pearl-handled revolvers, though.

You mean aside from his overall sense of taste?

Besides, I think that would be the least of Patton's aesthetic concerns.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

The glove on his left hand gives off some serious Frankenstein's Monster vibes. It took me a second to realize what was going on.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The wealthier Chasseurs, or mounted officers, in Napoleons armies often used leopard skin for the chabraque saddle cover on their horses.

Pimps of the battlefield.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The wealthier Chasseurs, or mounted officers, in Napoleons armies often used leopard skin for the chabraque saddle cover on their horses.

Pimps of the battlefield.

"Look at my horse's balls."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Regarde les couilles de mon cheval! REGARDE!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ironhead posted:

The glove on his left hand gives off some serious Frankenstein's Monster vibes. It took me a second to realize what was going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007