Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eimi posted:

Do you have to like push down on the stick while holding it back? What is the secret?!

I'm playing it in handheld mode and I don't push in the stick, just pull it down opposite the way the fish is trying to flee from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Me when I accidentally end my turn

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I’ve Given Ivy a billion chances. Heck, I even threw Tiki on her for Starsphere. She gets a level and…. It’s 2 stats. She literally only gains 2-3 stats on level up and I’ve given her so so so many chances to redeem herself. Why is she like this?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
My Ivy also gets lots of 2 stat levels. But she's also perfect for Micaiah (durable enough for Nosferatu tanking, hits hard enough for Thani, high enough staff rank for the important ones even before the Bond level boosts to it), and I don't think anyone else really ticks all those boxes. So I'm sucking it up and giving her some stat boosters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My Ivy's turned out amazing. Sometimes Fire Emblem just wants to be mean to you like that. My Caspar had 18 speed in the final map of CF and my friend's had 31, lol. As long as they can contribute! And a flier that targets res and has staff access always can.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

So I’ve Given Ivy a billion chances. Heck, I even threw Tiki on her for Starsphere. She gets a level and…. It’s 2 stats. She literally only gains 2-3 stats on level up and I’ve given her so so so many chances to redeem herself. Why is she like this?

Sometimes it be like that

I wanted to use Etie but she'd only ever get HP and DEF so to the bench she went.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My ivy gains 2 stats often but one of those is always magic so she's good

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
I've seen a lot of Boucheron slander in this thread and it confuses me because mine gets str/spd/def every single level and he's a God.

While my Yunaka is absolutely horrible and I immediately replaced her with Zelkov

Also: Timerra is my easy MVP, she's absolutely unkillable after giving her DEF+3 and Resolve from Ike. She has higher defense than Louie BEFORE resolve, but also has 13 more speed. And 2 more str. She's like if you took Nephenee and... made her better? Kinda blowing my mind so far.

Burginator fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 26, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
whenever my ivy gets a level with only a few stat ups, those stats are almost always HP, Def, and Res. she is determined to be the tankiest dragon

for this, i decided to reward her with a Bolganonne+2 tome.

i love when the important characters turn out good. hortensia is doing marketedly less great but she is currently a staffbot so that doesnt matter so much!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ch. 20 spoilers

I must kill the fell dragons," he shouted!
The ring said "No, Alear. You are the fell dragons."
And then, Alear was the Fire Emblem.

On a non-story note, is there any way to raise a unit's weapon proficiency past the class default? Just got a sweet sword I'd like to give Alear but it's S rank and his class only gives A proficiency.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wanted to use Etie but she'd only ever get HP and DEF so to the bench she went.

I benched Etie early on because of the strict deployment slots + her dreadful Speed hole but in hindsight her role as the Designated Flier Killer™ is actually good because you face fliers pretty regularly.

I think she’d want to end up as Warrior though to maximize gainz and because Longbow + Merciless + Backup would make for a phenomenal support unit.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I was trying to use my Boucheron but then I got Panette who had like 6 more strength and equivalent stats. Also she's cuter.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just going by stats I should have replaced Yunaka with Zelkov but she's such a delightful character that I refuse not to field her

I actually do also want to use Zelkov because I also like him but... so many good units... so few deployment slots :negative:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hellioning posted:

I was trying to use my Boucheron but then I got Panette who had like 6 more strength and equivalent stats. Also she's cuter.

Boucheron is the cutest ffs

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

I benched Etie early on because of the strict deployment slots + her dreadful Speed hole but in hindsight her role as the Designated Flier Killer™ is actually good because you face fliers pretty regularly.

It would be but my Clanne so good that he's doing the job fine with Wind. Was just hard to justify especially because there's a lot of characters I want to be using.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad midgame prepromotes are back

ivy's crew feel a lot like hawkeye types, which is something we haven't really seen much of for a while: midgame prepromotes who are just sort of instantly a little bit better than your team to make sure you can get through a difficult section of the game, and they never really fall off but aren't so dominant that they render other people unusable

I'm a big fan of the general return of having a variety in whether units join above or below curve. No proper est this time but honestly, the last time we really saw one was like...Ewan? The archetype might just be dead

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Holy moly that Marth paralogue was difficult on hard. Enemies had incredibly beefy stats despite me being slightly higher leveled than recommended. Like most enemies required concentrated effort to grind down.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly the only reason I benched Boucheron is that I thought I wanted to use Anna as my axe user, and then by the time I realized I should make her a Mage instead, I had other axe users and he'd fallen behind. Poor guy, I do think he's pretty neat.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My Etie has gained 2 DEF the whole game and that was from her promotion

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

rng be a strange beast.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sydin posted:

On a non-story note, is there any way to raise a unit's weapon proficiency past the class default? Just got a sweet sword I'd like to give Alear but it's S rank and his class only gives A proficiency.

Kind of, but not in a way that helps.

Each character has one preferred weapon type (this shows up in blue on the bottom left on the Change Class screen), which will raise the weapon proficiency for that weapon by one rank for most advanced classes. It will however only raise a weapon from rank A to S if it is the only weapon type that class can use. Staves and knives do not count as a secondary weapon, but bows, tomes and art do.

Alear's preferred weapon is, in fact, swords, but the Divine Dragon class uses both swords and art, so it won't see any benefit from that. Alear's sword preference lets them use S-rank swords as a griffon knight or paladin, in addition to the universal swordmaster, but you can't be a dragon and also use S-rank swords.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You can do fixed growths on Hard mode after you finish the game once, right? I'm sorta curious to see if the game feels any different that way but I'm not sure I'm up to Maddening quite yet.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Harrow posted:

You can do fixed growths on Hard mode after you finish the game once, right? I'm sorta curious to see if the game feels any different that way but I'm not sure I'm up to Maddening quite yet.

You can do it on hard on a first run if you survive the first 3 chapters on maddening and turn down the difficulty.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

alright, at this point I can't tell if I'm going mad or not

Is that scruff on the bottom of Zelkov's chin meant to be facial hair or is it just bad AA?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Kind of, but not in a way that helps.

Each character has one preferred weapon type (this shows up in blue on the bottom left on the Change Class screen), which will raise the weapon proficiency for that weapon by one rank for most advanced classes. It will however only raise a weapon from rank A to S if it is the only weapon type that class can use. Staves and knives do not count as a secondary weapon, but bows, tomes and art do.

Alear's preferred weapon is, in fact, swords, but the Divine Dragon class uses both swords and art, so it won't see any benefit from that. Alear's sword preference lets them use S-rank swords as a griffon knight or paladin, in addition to the universal swordmaster, but you can't be a dragon and also use S-rank swords.

Dang, oh well maybe I'll just swap Alear over to Paladin then. Not like I'm using fists much with him anyway.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

My Alear has selflessly focused all of my terrible levels onto herself. Only level 9-10ish, but Celine is just better than her plus she has magic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Harrow posted:

I actually do also want to use Zelkov because I also like him but... so many good units... so few deployment slots :negative:

When I noticed we were getting two royals per kingdom and two retainers per royal I did the math and had flashbacks to FE Fates: Revelations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this game has half the characters of revelations

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm glad midgame prepromotes are back

ivy's crew feel a lot like hawkeye types, which is something we haven't really seen much of for a while: midgame prepromotes who are just sort of instantly a little bit better than your team to make sure you can get through a difficult section of the game, and they never really fall off but aren't so dominant that they render other people unusable

I'm a big fan of the general return of having a variety in whether units join above or below curve. No proper est this time but honestly, the last time we really saw one was like...Ewan? The archetype might just be dead

I think Pelleas (and maybe Kurthnaga) is(/are) the last real Est, but Pelleas is NG+ only and Kurthnaga is literal last second so shrugs.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 27, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hortensia's crew have relatively low bases but relatively high growths, but since they dont join that underleveled that makes them closer to like, fe9 shinon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
oh yeah Kurthnaga is clearly an Est with no caveats or anything. Can't believe I forgot him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bruceski posted:

When I noticed we were getting two royals per kingdom and two retainers per royal I did the math and had flashbacks to FE Fates: Revelations.

smh. Clearly you shoulda been having flashbacks to L’Arachel and her retainers.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
... I just realized that a lot of Bouch's supports are a joke about his BLD growth.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

Just going by stats I should have replaced Yunaka with Zelkov but she's such a delightful character that I refuse not to field her

Don't you ever!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Started chapter 17

:stare:

That's a lot of bosses and a lot of emblem rings...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

OddObserver posted:

... I just realized that a lot of Bouch's supports are a joke about his BLD growth.

I think its more that his BLD growth reflects his characterisation in supports.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I love how so many of Yunaka's supports are just the other person asking if Yunaka would like to do a normal person thing and Yunaka going 'oh no if I do normal person thing people might find out my secret' and then her support with Citrinne starts with Citrienne going up with her and saying 'I know your secret'. It's a nice refreshing change of pace.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
this is pure speculation at this point but i would like to call it now as of chapter 18: the ring that dragonmom tried to give alear in the beginning isn't an emblem ring but it is the equivalent of one, and can only be used by alear. the other rings are just emblem rings, that's the Fire Emblem ring.

im posting this now so that if/when it happens I can go :sickos: mode

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

okay so every single person I can recruit is a 1) dork 2) goofus 3) weirdo and Alear has to play straight man for all of them lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hellioning posted:

I love how so many of Yunaka's supports are just the other person asking if Yunaka would like to do a normal person thing and Yunaka going 'oh no if I do normal person thing people might find out my secret' and then her support with Citrinne starts with Citrienne going up with her and saying 'I know your secret'. It's a nice refreshing change of pace.

Yeah I think it's their 2nd support where she lays out exactly what her background is