Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Switch version is just the vanilla game using the lovely NSO+ N64 emulator which has the benefit of having emulator level netplay. The Xbox version is <probably> the N64 game in some custom wrapper that enables a few modern quality of life tweaks like custom controls, widescreen support and up to 4K resolution. Oh and achievements if you care about that.

The frame rate on both is completely up in the air but I'd at least guess that both versions will run smoother than on original hardware.

There was a completely remastered version of Goldeneye with all new graphics done for XBLA like 15 years ago but it never made it out of licensing hell, and when hammering out this deal Nintendo said "hey we'll let you release the game but it can't look way better than our version that would make the Switch version look bad so you can't release the remaster that's already done you just have to do the boring old N64 version just like us".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That is like 0.1% of the over 9000 great level packs available for doom

its enough for me

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

American McGay posted:

The Switch version is just the vanilla game using the lovely NSO+ N64 emulator which has the benefit of having emulator level netplay. The Xbox version is <probably> the N64 game in some custom wrapper that enables a few modern quality of life tweaks like custom controls, widescreen support and up to 4K resolution. Oh and achievements if you care about that.

The frame rate on both is completely up in the air but I'd at least guess that both versions will run smoother than on original hardware.

There was a completely remastered version of Goldeneye with all new graphics done for XBLA like 15 years ago but it never made it out of licensing hell, and when hammering out this deal Nintendo said "hey we'll let you release the game but it can't look way better than our version that would make the Switch version look bad so you can't release the remaster that's already done you just have to do the boring old N64 version just like us".

Which is hosed up because the Xbox version has to both look like poo poo and also can't have online multiplayer?

I mean, isn't it bad enough the Xbox had to get an inferior version of Conker's Bad Fur Day?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Regardless of how many times I have (and let's face it, will in the future) probed you, I do appreciate your posts in the Steam thread that got me to try Kenshi.

Now that's a game that'd be perfect for the Switch.

Christ, trying to spot the tiny indistinct enemies gave me eye strain on my monitor never mind on the Switch screen

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

teh nso n64 emulator is good now. cheers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

Uhh I guess you didn't see Grant FREAKING Kirkhope complaining about the sonar kick???

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Christ, trying to spot the tiny indistinct enemies gave me eye strain on my monitor never mind on the Switch screen

the beak things are very large

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Spotting the enemies is irrelevant because if you're not letting them beat you within an inch of death you're playing Kenshi wrong.

Also I played Kenshi on a Steam Deck so a Switch port could be doable (if very finicky with the controls).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i dont want to try and hold the switch at the temperatures it would reach running a game that makes my pc sound like a jet engine despite looking likeits on the ps2

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

American McGay posted:

Uhh I guess you didn't see Grant FREAKING Kirkhope complaining about the sonar kick???

i dont trust anyone who worked for rare

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

American McGay posted:

oh I thought when people were talking about "the old remaster" they meant the Activision Goldeneye game that played like CoD, didn't know they almost gave it the Perfect Dark treatment

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendpo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

oh I thought when people were talking about "the old remaster" they meant the Activision Goldeneye game that played like CoD, didn't know they almost gave it the Perfect Dark treatment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GinqO4lhU

This is what they took from us.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Silver Falcon posted:

I have never contemplated murder more fiercely than the time my step-brothers played my N64 over the weekend when I was at my mom's and proceeded to overwrite my 100% save files on Diddy Kong Racing and Pokemon Snap. When I complained to their mother, she told me they can't read well and w/e and didn't know what "delete" means. Little shits!

Stories like this are what make me incredibly glad I'm an only child. :ohdear:

One time back in high school, my ex-step-nephews (5 and 3) were demanding to play my DS while I was visiting, and I kept refusing, as I'd seen the way they treat their own belongings. My ex-stepmom complained to my dad about how I "wouldn't share", and he was just like "That thing was expensive, I don't blame [Read After Burning] for not handing it to those little demons either. You're the one who invited them over, YOU entertain them."

Eat poo poo, toddlers. :colbert: :smug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stux posted:

the beak things are very large

probably worth mentioning that I played it when my diabetic eye damage was at its worst, but I do wish the UI was a bit more legible and had some highlights, character outlines, a crumb of things of that nature,

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve never played Goldeneye despite having an N64 growing up. I am excited to be disappointed tomorrow.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 27, 2023

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Stux posted:

Ive been playing paper mario with no problems, whats supposed to be bad about it even

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’ve never played Goldeneye despise having an N64 growing up. I am excited to be disappointed tomorrow.

Yeah it's going to be really rough lol. Ahhh memories

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was always good

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
It was held back by its cumbersome control scheme but yeah other than that it's very well put together

Ain't got poo poo on time splitters tho, not just because of the modern control scheme or level editor either

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

probably worth mentioning that I played it when my diabetic eye damage was at its worst, but I do wish the UI was a bit more legible and had some highlights, character outlines, a crumb of things of that nature,

gomen... there are some mods w high contrast ui + normal fonts if thaht would help.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ive been playing paper mario with no problems, whats supposed to be bad about it even

it had minor visual mistakes and an extra frame of lag in 2 games

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mega64 posted:

I mean, isn't it bad enough the Xbox had to get an inferior version of Conker's Bad Fur Day?

Rare Replay has the N64 version, the one with good multiplayer. But the Live & Reloaded is backwards compatible so Xbox can play both versions.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mandatory lesbian posted:

paper mario specifically used to have a bug that deleted your save data

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’ve never played Goldeneye despite having an N64 growing up. I am excited to be disappointed tomorrow.

You know how everyone is saying Doom has aged really well and is still 100% fun and playable today? Imagine uh the opposite of that

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
"Aging badly" is a fake idea. If it was possible to sit down and lose yourself in a game for hours in the (90s/80s/70s) then it's possible to do so today.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Game controls have become so standardized that I understand how people could lose their ability to adapt to old wacky 5th and 6th gen control schemes but all the games still hold up once you get past the barrier

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

"Aging badly" is a fake idea. If it was possible to sit down and lose yourself in a game for hours in the (90s/80s/70s) then it's possible to do so today.

goldeneye has ageed poorly

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

Game controls have become so standardized that I understand how people could lose their ability to adapt to old wacky 5th and 6th gen control schemes but all the games still hold up once you get past the barrier
I’m very excited to boot up Goldeneye tomorrow with my N64 controller. I wonder if it will feel as natural as it did when I was 13 and I’ll just immediately start circle strafing around everyone’s asses.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you shoot demons in the head until they die

nice!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

I can agree with that 90% of the time, I still play CRPGs from the 80s, but that period of console FPS is extremely rough now lol. Still, more power to you if you can get past the controls barrier, i definitely hit my limit there

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I can agree with that 90% of the time, I still play CRPGs from the 80s, but that period of console FPS is extremely rough now lol. Still, more power to you if you can get past the controls barrier, i definitely hit my limit there

There can definitely be an adjustment period for stuff like controls, especially in that early age of 3d when it was the wild west and every game was inventing 3d controls from scratch, but it can also be pretty refreshing to play stuff from before modern conventions got solidified.

I never played Goldeneye as a kid, but I did play Perfect Dark, and I think it still holds up really well, with great mission design and difficulty settings. The controls are drastically different from a modern fps, but the game is built around them so once you adjust it's not a problem.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You know how everyone is saying Doom has aged really well and is still 100% fun and playable today? Imagine uh the opposite of that

Snake Maze posted:

Guess we’ll see tomorrow!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Aging badly is not a fake idea at all at this stage, humans progressively get better at creating stuff and video games are still a relatively young medium.

The vast majority of games from the '80s are basically unplayable but people were still paying $70 a pop for those bad boys back then. Technology of an era defines consumer expectations

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Some lunatic in the year 2023 playing the original Metroid.

“This game hasn’t aged poorly.”

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Palmtree Panic posted:

Some lunatic in the year 2023 playing the original Metroid.

“This game hasn’t aged poorly.”

As a fan of metroid, its kinda hard to even play super metroid after fusion perfected the control scheme. But i still do bc super is so good

The original metroid is...well zero mission is probably just how someone should play it in 2023

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
*hands you the NES version of Dragon Warrior 2*

All video games are timeless and cannot be made redundant or obsolete

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What? The NES Dragon Warriors are awesome lol.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
No way the xp and gold drops make it a miserable time and DW2 is awful with RNG

Also press A to choose from a menu of commands such as STAIRS, DOOR, CHEST. Humans get better at developing stuff later and this outdated menu format is a perfect example of that.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Goldeneye is out btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

No way the xp and gold drops make it a miserable time and DW2 is awful with RNG

Also press A to choose from a menu of commands such as STAIRS, DOOR, CHEST

Imp Zone just played through DQ1 like 4 months ago in a community event and everyone had a blast.