Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

CelticPredator posted:

It’s probably going to be two hours of jerking off over reitmans grave

Bustin' makes me feel good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

Since everyone is getting in on the proton pack and props love, if anyone is interested in buying my Matty Collector neutrino wand, contact me. Nothing wrong with it; just got it for a project that never got finished so it's been sitting in the original box for a few years.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/spengler-glasses-p-1149.html

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That’s not terrible for glasses.

I’m watching the 2016 Ghostbusters for the first time since the cinema release. It’s not as bad as I remember? Kate McKinnon is MVP by miles, and has all the best line reads. “You have the longest arms.” is great comedy. It could definitely use a much tighter edit though.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The proton packs were sick in that movie. The trap sucked though

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

The_Doctor posted:

That’s not terrible for glasses.

I’m watching the 2016 Ghostbusters for the first time since the cinema release. It’s not as bad as I remember? Kate McKinnon is MVP by miles, and has all the best line reads. “You have the longest arms.” is great comedy. It could definitely use a much tighter edit though.

It was a fine summer popcorn comedy. Weirdly, I enjoyed the extended cut better because they reinserted a lot of background and story development stuff for the characters to give me a reason to care about them. The theatrical cut seemed to prioritize the wall of jokes and edited out a lot of that.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It wasn't funny at all, which is a huge problem.

Kate Mckinnon's "character" was there to cut to for a pithy one liner or a little dance. That's all.

Do you remember the first time the Ghostbusters saw a real ghost? Now compare that moment to when the girls see one. That'll sum up everything wrong with the movie instantly.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alan_Shore posted:

Kate Mckinnon's "character" was there to cut to for a pithy one liner or a little dance. That's all.

Do you remember the first time the Ghostbusters saw a real ghost? Now compare that moment to when the girls see one. That'll sum up everything wrong with the movie instantly.

I watched the 2016 movie for the first time last year, and I didn’t hate it. Two things stood out in my mind that I really liked:

The ghosts “trapped” in the picture frames or whatever it was, visually it reminded me of old school holography from when I was a kid and I dug it a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holography

The other bit was this sequence, I thought it was rad as hell:

https://youtu.be/zcaKzWWmtRE

I also appreciated that the 4 women weren’t just, like, direct analogues to the OG crew, they had their own personalities.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
What school did Venkman get his PhD from? If I'm not mistaken, he grew up in one of the New York boroughs and probably went to school there, too.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

John Yossarian posted:

What school did Venkman get his PhD from? If I'm not mistaken, he grew up in one of the New York boroughs and probably went to school there, too.

The same one Jimmy McGill got his law degree

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Venkman has PhDs in psychology and parapsychology. Dunno where he got them from though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate the 2016 movie because it could’ve been better and the weird culture war bullshit it dredged up for something so mid

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
https://youtu.be/WMUl7sOe8W4

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

deoju posted:

Venkman has PhDs in psychology and parapsychology. Dunno where he got them from though.

He's a professor at Columbia in the first movie, and at SUNY Cortland in Afterlife. There's some dialogue that possibly suggests that he, Stantz and Spengler have known each other since their college days, so if anything I'd think he got his doctorates from Columbia.

TealShark posted:

It was a fine summer popcorn comedy. Weirdly, I enjoyed the extended cut better because they reinserted a lot of background and story development stuff for the characters to give me a reason to care about them. The theatrical cut seemed to prioritize the wall of jokes and edited out a lot of that.

The extended cut is better just because it explains why Erin becomes estranged from the rest of the team, and why it's such a big deal when she shows up at the final battle. In the theatrical, she's just randomly moping in her apartment with no reason given, and then she arrives at Times Square and everyone's overjoyed to see her.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

If I'm going to rewatch 2016, it'll have to be the extended cut, from the sounds of it ITT. I didn't realize or remember that it had the extra plot stuff in there. Is there anything that helps explain (more so) why Rowan is why he is?

Ugh. I truly love everyone involved. Paul Feig made Freaks and Geeks and Bridesmaids! Loved them both. All four actresses are great. I just wish the script wasn't mired down with constant improv one-upping.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s bits that you could easily cut, and if I had the time/wherewithal I’d do a streamlined edit. The bit where Erin is talking to a guy and Patty and Abby are discussing how he dances can go first.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You couldn't edit in anything truly scary or funny or add good cinematography no matter how hard you tried.

Feig was utterly the wrong man for the job

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alan_Shore posted:

You couldn't edit in anything truly scary or funny or add good cinematography no matter how hard you tried.

Feig was utterly the wrong man for the job

Paul really didn't seem able to determine 'this was so funny in person!' doesn't necessarily translate to film.

One of my things with it was indeed nobody seemed super concerned about ghosts except for maybe Patty with the mannequins. No terrified beyond the capacity etc. Related, Leslie Jones was my favorite part of the movie.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Alan_Shore posted:

Pretty much this.

Ghostbusters was an amazing mix of horror and comedy. There's very little fat in the movie.

The 2016 film tries to throw way too many gags at you and still manages to drag on forever. I tried to sit through the whole movie and I just can't.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

2016 is still miles better than Afterlife, which is basically a straight remake of the first movie with a climax of "Hey, remember the first movie? We're gonna remind you of the first movie."

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Timby posted:

2016 is still miles better than Afterlife, which is basically a straight remake of the first movie with a climax of "Hey, remember the first movie? We're gonna remind you of the first movie."

Afterlife is a competent movie, and I'd rather be reminded of the first movie than whatever I was supposed to be thinking of while watching 2016

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

No queef jokes in Afterlife. You can quote me on that

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

No queef jokes in Afterlife. You can quote me on that

Queef jokes are fair game, just as viable as Ray getting a literal/dream blowjob, or the very clear assumption that Egon hosed the mood slime.

"You hound!"

Subtlety is always what's needed, however.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

2016 is a bad movie but I disliked Afterlife a great deal more. Don't think I've ever felt more insulted watching a movie before and it certainly didn't help knowing how many people were lapping up everything making me mentally roll my eyes.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I feel like Afterlife was for da children, and they seemed to like it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Apparently I am a child, because I liked Afterlife a whole lot.

Yeah it coasts extremely heavily on nostalgia, but it went all-in and I vibed with that and liked it and had a good time.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Ghostbusters was a comedy with action bits.

Afterlife is an action movie with some comedy bits.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Anyone itt like Bass Masters?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Anyone itt like Bass Masters?

Is that a fishing show?

Anyway, GB2 is GB1 with different plot points. The fact that Afterlife is once again the first movie is.... I don't know, it doesn't bother me.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
2016 and Afterlife are both bad movies, but in a way that makes me shocked how quickly the kind of bad that bad movies are evolved. 2016 didn't beg to suck me off though, and is therefore the better movie.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Every single person I know teared up over Afterlife. I was just happy that some of the shots and props looked nice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

2016 is a bad movie but I disliked Afterlife a great deal more. Don't think I've ever felt more insulted watching a movie before and it certainly didn't help knowing how many people were lapping up everything making me mentally roll my eyes.

This. Afterlife made me embarrassed

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

This. Afterlife made me embarrassed

If I hadn't seen I would've thought "Egon shows up as a CGI ghost at the end to help" was a troll like I thought final season GOT and Rise of Skywalker spoilers had to have been.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I feel like Afterlife was for da children, and they seemed to like it.

Can confirm, this 30something manchild enjoyed it - though the ending was predictable and saccharin sweet, it was still a fun time.

Edit: Teach me to not refresh the page before replying, Xeno said it better. High five fellow child!

Xenomrph posted:

Apparently I am a child, because I liked Afterlife a whole lot.

Yeah it coasts extremely heavily on nostalgia, but it went all-in and I vibed with that and liked it and had a good time.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I liked the bad guy in 2016. It had all the elements to be good but just couldn't find a way to do it.

Also, I think it was too clean and polished for a ghostbusters movie if that makes sense.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

I liked the bad guy in 2016. It had all the elements to be good but just couldn't find a way to do it.

Also, I think it was too clean and polished for a ghostbusters movie if that makes sense.

Yeah. 2016 is too bright. Like in a color saturation way, I guess? 1984 feels more... lived-in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

I don't remember anything to 'like' about Rowan; he was just some angry dude. There was no backstory to speak of.

I don't mean he wasn't likeable, he's the villain, but character-development-wise, it felt extremely weak.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

McGann posted:

Can confirm, this 30something manchild enjoyed it - though the ending was predictable and saccharin sweet, it was still a fun time.

I really liked it too. Though one thing I would’ve liked better is if they’d dialled back the ‘Ghost Egon’ thing at the end. Maybe just culminate in his arm on Phoebe’s to steady her proton stream at the end and leave it at that.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Afterlife was bad, and I think doing the CGI Harold Ramis Golem is just unspeakably horrific, just like every other time they've brought a dead actor back to life for a movie.

That said, Egon's granddaughter was a lot of fun, and hopefully a sequel won't be so hard up for NOSTALGIA points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just wish the theme song didn't wait until the closing credits to show up.

Give me that stuff right away, c'mon.