Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Thx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Villains Are Destined To Die and The Remarried Empress are available physically in English if you want a paper book

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So I just rewatched Devilman Crybaby and Hellsing Ultimate and Im still kind of in the mood for something with crazy over the top fighting and violence.

I honestly cant think of anything even though I know there are probably a dozen that have been recommended in this thread at some point (or even to me in the past, Im old and forgetful).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

So I just rewatched Devilman Crybaby and Hellsing Ultimate and Im still kind of in the mood for something with crazy over the top fighting and violence.

I honestly cant think of anything even though I know there are probably a dozen that have been recommended in this thread at some point (or even to me in the past, Im old and forgetful).

Cyberpunk Edgerunners has a lot of old school OVA violence, but I think you've seen it already. Similarly, Chainsaw Man has some good bloody fight scenes with viscera everywhere, so that's a maybe.

Do you want something newer, or are old OVAs also in play? Because something like Cyber City Oedo 808 might hit the spot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Furnaceface posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen is something newer that’s p violent.

Shigurui is super violent medieval Japan sword stuff.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah I binged Edgerunners right before the last season ended. I also bounced off Chainsaw Man after 2 episodes, couldnt really explain why.

Old is totally fine. Hell its probably preferred since I only started watching anime in like 2018 and have barely touched anything that came out prior to that year.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Furnaceface posted:

Like chiasaur said cyberpunk edgerunners.

Also Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust for a good film.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Furnaceface posted:

Yeah I binged Edgerunners right before the last season ended. I also bounced off Chainsaw Man after 2 episodes, couldnt really explain why.

Old is totally fine. Hell its probably preferred since I only started watching anime in like 2018 and have barely touched anything that came out prior to that year.

Older check out the original Ninja Scroll movie and Samurai X

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Furnaceface posted:

have you watched(or read) dorohedoro?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

have you watched(or read) dorohedoro?

I watched it yeah. It was fine? Felt like a series that was going to lead to the bad guys eventually winning so I kind of lost interest fast.

I cant believe Ive never watched Vampire Hunter D so Im going to start with Julias' suggestion.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Furnaceface posted:

Sword of the Stranger

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Furnaceface posted:

You'd probably enjoy Black Lagoon, and Parasyte which were both made by Madhouse. (Parasyte is more of a horror show though)

The Getter Robo OVAs are based on the works of Go-Nagai who created Devilman, and it also has over the top fighting and violence. I've heard the newest Getter Robo should be avoided though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

You'd probably enjoy Black Lagoon, and Parasyte which were both made by Madhouse. (Parasyte is more of a horror show though)

The Getter Robo OVAs are based on the works of Go-Nagai who created Devilman, and it also has over the top fighting and violence. I've heard the newest Getter Robo should be avoided though.

Not quite. Getter Robo is by Ken Ishikawa, who worked with Go Nagai. The newest Getter is alright, but it's also awkward visually, and very inside baseball.

Might be best to go with Armageddon. Weak middle, but the opening and close are strong, and there's a solid amount of ultraviolence.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Parasyte rules.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Hey, duders and duderettes- my little one is 5, and autistic. He really loves the intro song and video to Gundam79, but it's obviously too violent for him. He really wants to watch it, though, if he hears the sounds of it, he'll come climb onto my lap to try to watch with me.

Any recommendations for something that is vibrant and colorful for a little dude? Violence is a problem, so I guess that's all action out. For instance, I tried showing him Three Stooges, but then he started trying to slap his mom and reenact the stoogery. We tried Belle and Sebastian, but zero interest. I'm thinking maybe Speed Racer or Astro Boy? He loves adventure and thrilling scenes, but I don't think war-type violence is good for him right now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sherlock hound? its mostly car/plane chases and its very colorful and has a lot of lively animation. a gun gets fired a few times but i dont think theres any punching or anything. the whole thing's up on youtube dubbed too, though the audio's a bit muffled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLjCNWSfl-s&t=681s

heres the back half of an episode if you wanna check for yourself. miyazaki (the spirited away/my neighbor totoro guy) worked on it.

actually, most of the studio ghibli films would probably be good, too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Endorph posted:

sherlock hound

Wow, this unlocked a long forgotten memory. I watched this in some form in the very late 80's or early 90's. Definitively recommended for a young child.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Narzack posted:

Hey, duders and duderettes- my little one is 5, and autistic.

just show him thomas the tank engine (it worked for me)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stairmaster posted:

Seasons 1-5 only, Ringo or Carlin for 1-3, Carlin for 4 and Michael Angelis for Season 5.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Endorph posted:

sherlock hound? its mostly car/plane chases and its very colorful and has a lot of lively animation. a gun gets fired a few times but i dont think theres any punching or anything. the whole thing's up on youtube dubbed too, though the audio's a bit muffled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLjCNWSfl-s&t=681s

heres the back half of an episode if you wanna check for yourself. miyazaki (the spirited away/my neighbor totoro guy) worked on it.

actually, most of the studio ghibli films would probably be good, too.

This is a good suggestion, I'll try it. He liked the Ghibli flicks when he was younger, but nowadays, he won't stand for them. He's very phase-y.

Stairmaster posted:

Didn't connect with him the first time we tried a while ago, but we'll try again. Interestingly, he loves videos of model trains. In particular, he likes a youtube guy named Jim Zim. It's nice, he's a very grandfatherly type.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Narzack posted:

In particular, he likes a youtube guy named Jim Zim. It's nice, he's a very grandfatherly type.

Well, I didn't know I needed this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssgSapK3ZVM

Turns out I did. Just sitting here watching this gentleman calming my nerves with his voice, while he's racing his trains without sounding too nerdy about it.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
So I've never really watched much anime, but recently I've been trying to watch more as a way of keeping my Japanese skills fresh. Part of it is that I don't really have an interest in the high school setting that so many shows seem crammed into. Space stuff and historical settings are more to my liking, especially if the history stuff is reasonably accurate. I'm willing to bear high school stuff it it deals in actual emotional stakes.

I've really appreciated anime like Sora Yori Mo Tooi Basho and Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken for they way they will delve very deeply into a given topic and explain every little part of it. I've also liked the way shows like Evangelion and Zankyou no Terror deal with a slowly revealing conspiracy. Solid music is a big plus; that ended up carrying me a lot of the way through the latter show.

Here follows a list of literally every single anime I have ever watched, about half of them from the past two months.

Cowboy Bebob: watched it a long time ago, recall liking it.

Serial Experiments Lain: ditto

Legend of Galactic Heroes: 10/10, all timer, love shows that largely consist of middle-aged men standing in hallways discussing politics.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: I enjoyed getting to learn what the memes were about, the slow burn of the various revelations re: what was actually going on was fun.

Sora Yori Mo Tooi Basho: the final couple episodes made an incredible impression on my with their catharsis, but I also really enjoyed its meticulous way of looking at how an expedition to Antarctica would actually work. I got recommended this by a friend who worked on Antartica for 6 months and he praised its attention to detail.

Mitsuboshi Colors: made it about 2 episodes into this, fun at times, but just too sickly-sweet for my tastes.

JoJo: I made it about 20 episodes in and liked what I saw, but not enough to devote like 100 hours of my life to dad rock puns.

Zankyou no Terror: if this had come out in like 2007 it probably would have meant the world to me, as it is I merely enjoyed it a lot, which is weird for a show that largely consists of people solving stupid puzzles. The music carries it a lot.

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken: it's kind of silly, but I enjoy its detailed depictions of the way animation actually works, and the very real problem of holding on to one's artistic vision while a team balloons in size and compromises have to be made is so inherently tragic that having a dose of comedy to lighten the load is appreciated. The theme song slaps.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rochallor posted:

So I've never really watched much anime, but recently I've been trying to watch more as a way of keeping my Japanese skills fresh. Part of it is that I don't really have an interest in the high school setting that so many shows seem crammed into. Space stuff and historical settings are more to my liking, especially if the history stuff is reasonably accurate. I'm willing to bear high school stuff it it deals in actual emotional stakes.
I've really appreciated anime like Sora Yori Mo Tooi Basho and Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken for they way they will delve very deeply into a given topic and explain every little part of it. I've also liked the way shows like Evangelion and Zankyou no Terror deal with a slowly revealing conspiracy. Solid music is a big plus; that ended up carrying me a lot of the way through the latter show.

I think we have pretty similar taste so I'll suggest some of my recentish faves:
Oddtaxi - don't be put off by the animal people, it's an interesting noirish story featuring adult characters
Run with the Wind - about college students training to run the Hakone Ekiden.
Sonny Boy - high schoolers, but with a metaphysical mystery, varied environments, and great animation/visual direction.
Megalobox - cyberpunk boxing with good soundtracks in both seasons, looks great.

Maybe:
Kids on the Slope - highschoolers, but fairly mature and realistically depicted. Very well animated and scored anime about a jazz pianist and drummer.

Old, obvious recs:
Monster (dark thriller) and Master Keaton (globetrotting hypercompetent insurance investigator).

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 3, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rochallor posted:

Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken: it's kind of silly, but I enjoy its detailed depictions of the way animation actually works, and the very real problem of holding on to one's artistic vision while a team balloons in size and compromises have to be made is so inherently tragic that having a dose of comedy to lighten the load is appreciated. The theme song slaps.

If you enjoyed Eizouken then you should definitely check out Shirobako, which is a look at how anime is produced from a business/work perspective. It's a bit exaggerated at times, but it's still fairly informative and a fun romp.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If you're open to films and enjoyed Evangelion you might enjoy the debut project from that show's studio (Gainax) called Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise. It's about a country's efforts to put the first man in space around their planet. Really creative, like if The Right Stuff was an anime.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Chas McGill posted:

Oddtaxi - don't be put off by the animal people, it's an interesting noirish story featuring adult characters
Sonny Boy - high schoolers, but with a metaphysical mystery, varied environments, and great animation/visual direction.
Master Keaton (globetrotting hypercompetent insurance investigator).

These all sound really interesting, thanks. I've got no aversion to weird art decisions, it's animated, might as well go nuts with it! I should say, parallel/alternate universes and time loops/travel is another interest. My friend recommended Tatami Galaxy which I think I'll give a try next.

Julias posted:

If you enjoyed Eizouken then you should definitely check out Shirobako, which is a look at how anime is produced from a business/work perspective. It's a bit exaggerated at times, but it's still fairly informative and a fun romp.

This sounds nice, too, I might hold off on it a little to not double up, but I do remain interested in the actual crafting of anime.

Arc Hammer posted:

if The Right Stuff was an anime.

Well that just sounds amazing.

EDIT:

Furnaceface posted:

Welcome to the NHK

Reading up on this a bit makes it sounds like it's right up my alley.

SexyBlindfold posted:

Golden Kamuy also has an historical setting, set in the early 20th century in Hokkaido, where a renegade army vet teams up with a hunter girl to find a buried treasure. There's plenty of action, humor and over-the-top characters. The story also prominently focuses on the culture and history of the Ainu people, which is a topic that's rarely covered in Japanese media.

The opening of Hokkaido is one of the areas I'm particularly interested in, so this seems like a must watch.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 3, 2023

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

If you like historical setting then theres always Vinland Saga. If you liked Lain and Cowboy Bebop then Id probably give Akudama Drive, Edgerunners, and Paprika a try. For non-high school stuff maybe Welcome to the NHK or My Roommate is a Cat?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Rochallor posted:

Samurai Champloo has a similar energy to Cowboy Bebop (same director) but it has an historical setting. Well, sort of. It's set in the Edo period but uses a lot of deliberate anachronisms for flair. This isn't particularly new, but it's one of the cases where the mix really heightens the experience, giving the show a very consistent, sleek vibe. The one criticism I'd give it is that the characters are not as endearing as in Bebop.

Golden Kamuy also has an historical setting, set in the early 20th century in Hokkaido, where a renegade army vet teams up with a hunter girl to find a buried treasure. There's plenty of action, humor and over-the-top characters. The story also prominently focuses on the culture and history of the Ainu people, which is a topic that's rarely covered in Japanese media.

If you enjoyed Eizouken you might like Bocchi the Rock!. It also deals with a creative pursuit (forming a band), though it focuses a lot more on the internal struggles of the title character, who is crippled by social anxiety. Its comedy finds a perfect balance between mercilessly dragging its characters while never coming across as outright mean-spirited. It's also really imaginative in the use of animation as a medium, variously employing live action, stop motion or CGI in the bits where Bocchi gets lost in her inner monologue. One of the few music-themed anime where the music actually slaps, too.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I second pretty much everything mentioned so far. Here are some others that come to mind.

Baccano: Vaguely historical (prohibition-era) and, while not in the time-loop/travel category, is non-chronological and also amazing, as long as you're okay with violence.

Planetes and Space Brothers: Two other space-related shows that are frequently recommended here. I haven't watched either of them (yet), but others have posted about them plenty of times.

Steins;Gate: This is time loops: the anime. It's also pretty anime/visual novel-tropey, so maybe not top of the list, but I still enjoyed it.

And, while these aren't specific to anything you mentioned, definitely check out any or all of Satoshi Kon's films (Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika). You can't go wrong with anything he directed before his untimely passing. Also, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood has the broadest appeal of pretty much any anime ever conceived, practically everyone thinks it's great so definitely worth a watch at some point.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 3, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Rochallor posted:

if you enjoyed eva and enjoy space adventure stories in general you may as well give a look to Martian Successor Nadesico. it's in some ways a parody and love letter to older mecha and space opera anime, other ways just a solidly constructed story of its own and a contemporary to eva that was equally as popular and arguably in deeper conversation with the ideas of the genre. that does mean there's more about it you won't get if you aren't deeper into mecha anime or space battleship yamato, though. the movie is not as interesting as the show, doesn't possess the larger collaboration of writers from different walks of the industry and thus is a lot more thematically and tonally narrow and almost solely exists to set up cliffhangers that were never followed up on due to lack of interest.

you might also enjoy some of yoshiyuki tomino's work, eva borrows a lot from him. the original Mobile Suit Gundam has some issues production-wise, you can watch the movies which cut down a lot of the script and skip parts some people find boring and the latter two movies reanimate major scenes in much finer detail, but if you're familiar with older space opera anime you might be comfortable enough with the show's flaws. Aura Battler Dunbine gets less talk and it isn't exactly a sci-fi story, but it's a classic in its own right with a fairly visually odd and colorful fantasy setting and deeper ties to some parts of the wider mecha genre than some people like to think. It plays less into adventure fantasy, more into bizarre intercontinental war between evil counts and barons, all of the isekai'd in characters are social rejects who want to kill each other over irl racism and one of the villains is a californian weapons dealer who has deep personal trauma over living in australia.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Rochallor posted:

Seconding the Shirobako recommendation, one of my absolute favorites. Yes technically it starts with the characters in high school but they graduate in like the first 15 minutes of the show. I'll throw in a plug for Haibane Renmei, an anime that features kids and adults in equal measure in a setting that could not be further removed from high school. It's got the same character designer as the guy from Lain, too, so that's a plus. From the New World / Shin Sekai Yori does have school-aged characters going to school, but their world is so different and terrifying that it doesn't count, imo. It's one of the few anime that managed to cultivate a sense of dread and maintain it all the way through. Bonus points for making an idyllic setting supremely dystopian. Steins;Gate is about college students messing around and getting themselves into some deep poo poo halfway through the show's runtime. I'll let you decide if that's too close to high schoolers. And since you liked the politics side of Legend of Galactic Heroes, give Fate/Zero a try. It is the (in my personal opinion) better-written prequel to the sprawling Fate franchise, but you can go ahead and watch it without knowing anything else about the setting. And while purists will bemoan that it spoils the other Fates, the other Fates also spoil Zero so does it really matter?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

planetes is about basically space garbagemen. near future sci-fi with easier space travel, they clean up space debris to make sure theres no accidents or disasters. the male lead wanted to be an astronaut/space explorer but wound up doing this, the female lead sees this as an important career, they clash over ideology and stuff, ideals vs reality, etc. it's solid stuff even if a couple of the side characters are a bit too goofy for the tone its going for. pretty unique in the sci-fi anime space since its not about space war or anything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

planetes is about basically space garbagemen. near future sci-fi with easier space travel, they clean up space debris to make sure theres no accidents or disasters. the male lead wanted to be an astronaut/space explorer but wound up doing this, the female lead sees this as an important career, they clash over ideology and stuff, ideals vs reality, etc. it's solid stuff even if a couple of the side characters are a bit too goofy for the tone its going for. pretty unique in the sci-fi anime space since its not about space war or anything.

Just as a note, the goofy side characters weren't in the manga. It actually diverges pretty heavily. For another example, the female lead for the anime doesn't show up until some time in the manga, despite her being the main focus character for the anime's initial arcs. It's kind of interesting.

Just as a followup to Tatami Galaxy, there's actually a few other anime based on the author's works. The Night is Short, Walk On Girl and Tatami Time Machine Blues are movie length kind of sidestories with shared characters and similar looks, while Penguin Highway and The Eccentric Family are their own things. (Penguin Highway is about a kid living in the boonies trying to find out what's the deal with penguins showing up in town, while the Eccentric Family is about a bunch of Tanooki trying to navigate life in the human world where some people want to eat them.) Might be worth checking out.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna throw gundam: iron blooded orphans and 86 out there as worth giving a look. Definitely seconding edgerunners as well

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The goofy side characters are perfect actually

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm going to stop replying to every recommendation to avoid clogging up the thread, but thanks for all of your ideas, I've got a long list of things to choose from next!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
This is a weird question, but years ago I watched an interview with a director, who was asked how he felt when accused of rotoscoping his anime. He answered that he felt both honored and insulted. I always meant to watch this anime, but forgot its name. Anyone familiar with that interview, or who/what I might be talking about?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is Re:Zero bad?

I started watching it because of seeing the masses of Rem dolls at cons and assuming there must be Something Good I’m Missing, but I’m 9 eps in (witch village) and it seems.. not very good.

Am I just not far enough in to See The Good Part or did I get bamboozled by the weird waifu crowd?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's probably just not for you. Its appeal is a combination of having a lot of interesting core mysteries combined with the main character going through a lot of trauma and the ongoing effects that has on his psychology, as well as how the difference in how he experiences reality vs how everyone else does changes his interpersonal relationships and how people see him. Its presentation and dialogue writing is very capital A Anime (in the sense that normies who don't watch much anime use the word) which is easily offputting.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i didn't like it either, i think time loop thrillers are just catnip for a lot of people. the mansion/village arc was honestly the closest it got to compelling for me, the next arc is bleh