Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

there certainly is something to be said for a device that needs to be used the way the manufacturer intended, and then going off and using it the way you want to use it instead.

One of the reviews I read of the Philips pasta maker before I bought one was a woman that was a pro at making pasta and just used one of her normal recipes and didn’t understand why the machine was pissing glop all over the counter like guess what when you’re hand making pasta it’s not getting extruded at 1400 psi so maybe try the manufacturers recipes first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I don’t know if there is an air fryer thread but does anyone actually use their air fryer at temps other than 400 (the max on ours)?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I generally do 390. No, I don’t know why.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

All the time. I defrost hot dogs at the lowest setting before blasting them. I do 350 for thick leftovers like chicken or French toast so the heat has time to penetrate. Same for my wife's leftover pizza, since her crust is a bit thicker than mine. Everything else, including my thin crust pizza, gets 390 since that's the default temp on my Ninja

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

BrianBoitano posted:

Creami is wonderful and that review has 0 basis in reality. Kind of makes me think ATK can't be trusted for gadget reviews. It stinks of intentional bias. Probably because they have loads of books for other style makers, and a long relationship with other manufacturers.

Something similar happened with ATK and the first wave of multicooker/Instant Pot devices.

From what I can tell, this issue isn't so much intentional bias as the their judging criteria for kitchen devices. They're looking for equipment that can make their own recipes to spec, without the need for reworking or massively adjusting the recipe. They slagged the Instant Pot and its ilk for the same reason -- they didn't work well with their stovetop pressure cooker recipes without needing adjustments (the IP more than other brands, apparently), but with the wild popularity of the IP caused them to change their tune and start creating recipes that work specifically with these devices.

Obviously, this system works for items without huge variations in how they function, like pots, pans, or traditional kitchen tools; if nothing else, it at least weeds out the really awful devices even if what determines their top marks can sometimes feel a bit arbitrary. But their system becomes less useful the more unique or idiosyncratic the device becomes: Creami works completely differently from an ice cream freezer, so expecting it to work flawlessly with a recipe designed for an ice cream freezer is rather foolhardy.

I think there's something to be said for evaluating the versatility of a product by seeing how it works with recipes that aren't designed specifically for it -- especially as, often, the recipes in the device manual aren't exactly great -- but this seems like a fairly egregious example of square peg, round hole.

(To wit, I'm neither pro- nor anti-Creami; I've never used one or eaten anything produced by one.)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They also didn't season a pan that needs seasoning, then cooked an egg with no fat per the comments.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

They also didn't season a pan that needs seasoning, then cooked an egg with no fat per the comments.

that one i can get behind, though. the hexclad is advertised as nonstick and contains the same materials as any other nonstick pan; it’s fair to treat it as a nonstick pan, even if the manufacturer tells you in the fine print it’s actually nonstick*

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Marketing doesn't mean a tool is invalid.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Marketing doesn't mean a tool is invalid.

it’s a combo tool that is supposed to combine the upside of both things it is (nonstick with the durability of bare aluminum) but actually combines the downside of those things (fragility of nonstick with the stickiness of bare aluminum). It only exists because of marketing.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

hypnophant posted:

it’s a combo tool that is supposed to combine the upside of both things it is (nonstick with the durability of bare aluminum) but actually combines the downside of those things (fragility of nonstick with the stickiness of bare aluminum). It only exists because of marketing.

Yeah, I've seen reviews of the Hexclad and the "nonstick" claim is misleading at best, even if you use it according to manufacturer's instructions. It attempts to lead people to believe that it's comparable to Teflon, when it's really (at best) more comparable to carbon steel or cast iron in terms of food sticking. And Hexclad is a hell of a lot more expensive than either CS or CI.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dead Of Winter posted:

Yeah, I've seen reviews of the Hexclad and the "nonstick" claim is misleading at best, even if you use it according to manufacturer's instructions. It attempts to lead people to believe that it's comparable to Teflon, when it's really (at best) more comparable to carbon steel or cast iron in terms of food sticking. And Hexclad is a hell of a lot more expensive than either CS or CI.
I mean, aside from the grid part it is teflon, and when people have tested it, the grid doesn't really significantly prevent the teflon from being damaged, so it's not clear what advantage it would have over just being careful with a cheap teflon pan

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's an attempt for a lasting non stick you can throw in a dishwasher and use metal utensils with. I'd never get one, I can care for iron or steel, but to say it's just expensive Teflon is disingenuous.

mystes
May 31, 2006

All of its non-stick properties come from the teflon parts so that's only disingenuous if the stainless parts are effective and therefore functional, and it doesn't seem to be clear that they are.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can season stainless and thats what it needs, I think it came up earlier in this thread even.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I discovered that my vent hood is ducted after all, but that it ALSO vents back into the kitchen, so I put duct tape over the vent that goes back into the kitchen so now it’s just going into the duct

Now my question is does it need a charcoal filter if I’m just blowing it into the duct?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I discovered that my vent hood is ducted after all, but that it ALSO vents back into the kitchen, so I put duct tape over the vent that goes back into the kitchen so now it’s just going into the duct

Now my question is does it need a charcoal filter if I’m just blowing it into the duct?

I’ve never seen one that blew both ways. Normally there is a baffle inside that you set that determines if it’s blowing into an exhaust hookup or back into the kitchen.

Shouldn’t need a charcoal filter but it should have one of those stainless mesh filters to trap oil so your duct doesn’t get fouled (as quickly). Sometimes those filters are combined.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

hypnophant posted:

This is exactly what I was thinking. I'm not even sure how you take care of a pan like that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Seems to be set up like this

There was a flapper for the duct that I took out in order to maximize the airflow. Maybe it was meant to close the top vent in order to direct all airflow to the front vent but I didn’t see a way to close the forward vent so I covered it with duct tape

My place was a repossession from the 2008 housing crash, all the appliances were brand new landlord specials, this one being a Broan Nu-Tone

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

If the ducting goes outdoors no need for a charcoal filter, they are just used to remove odor. As stated though you should have some kind of mesh or baffle for oils to accumulate on no matter what. The damper flap is to keep outside air from flowing into the kitchen when the fan isn’t running.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hexclad is by all accounts I've read, complete bullshit

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

It's an attempt for a lasting non stick you can throw in a dishwasher and use metal utensils with. I'd never get one, I can care for iron or steel, but to say it's just expensive Teflon is disingenuous.

if it were “just” expensive teflon that would be a significant upgrade over what it actually is, which is expensive teflon which has been deliberately compromised for a marketing gimmick

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Honey can you get the citrus juicer out of the garage

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7190011381435862278

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Honey can you get the citrus juicer out of the garage

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7190011381435862278

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Apparently the aluminum attachments that come with KitchenAid stand mixers have lead?

https://tamararubin.com/2022/12/a-p...er-attachments/

https://tamararubin.com/2022/12/a-p...er-attachments/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 23, 2023

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I've spent the past year occasionally trying to figure out where to find a stovetop cookware set that matches my particular needs to almost no avail. I wondered where the heck I would even ask a question this specific until I realized, oh, right, Something Awful has a cooking forum. So I am here to humbly request aid in my search for a new perfect stovetop set.

First, my current set! No longer available for sale anywhere that I could Google, otherwise I would rebuy it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IVHP48?fbclid=IwAR0yc_rLq-CfiHvGuPF8aNXCzg7P8NaFxQvygPyCiH-FaS7kt3HhMCYpyVA

I've had this set for longer than I can remember. It put me through a lot of learning experiences which means it has some pretty bad wear and tear on it and it's high time for a refresh. Thanks to using this set for over a decade, I've grown accustomed to the quality of life features inherent to the set... features which seem utterly lacking from most stovetop sets I've come across! So here's what I'm looking for in a replacement.

- No budget. I don't want anyone to hold suggestions back just because they're overpriced. That said, this set I linked was less than a hundred bucks.
- Non-stick. I'm an idiot, I can't take care of metal. Ceramic is probably fine, though? I don't know, I've never had a ceramic pot or pan!
- Glass surface, electric stove-top friendly.
- I'm at least looking to replace the 2 sauce pans and 1 skillet from the original set, so keep an eye on those sizes specifically. All 3 should have their own lids. The large pot and small pan don't need replacing since they don't get much use but I'm not opposed to a set that includes these or other extras.
- The large pan has to have a 90 degree angle side. Most stuff I find has curved sides which, to me, just means food slides off while I'm mixing it. I extremely like the pan having a sharp 90 degree angle on the side.
- I need the colander lids. These have been so incredibly helpful with draining water and fat, they are essential. Somehow, this is also a rarity among cookware sets I've looked up. I actually do not understand how this isn't the norm.
- The lids should be see-through.
- It would be nice if the handles had holes in them so I could hang the stuff from hooks.
- It would be nice if the handles didn't heat up with the pot. I shouldn't have to ask this but... I once got an "authentic" wok that had its metal handle welded to the bowl and uhh, that poo poo was just dangerous.

The closest I could come to finding something similar is this:
https://www.surlatable.com/pro-6550164-set-11pc-ha-levels/PRO-6550164.html?cgid=SCA-389602&start=94

But the large pan doesn't have the angles I like and the photos don't make it obvious exactly what it is I'm getting. I want a better look at those two smaller pans and it seems like this was all built for stackability, which isn't my concern.

Sorry if this post is just me being a crazy person but trying to replace this set drove me to it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

DaveKap posted:

I've spent the past year occasionally trying to figure out where to find a stovetop cookware set that matches my particular needs to almost no avail. I wondered where the heck I would even ask a question this specific until I realized, oh, right, Something Awful has a cooking forum. So I am here to humbly request aid in my search for a new perfect stovetop set.

First, my current set! No longer available for sale anywhere that I could Google, otherwise I would rebuy it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IVHP48?fbclid=IwAR0yc_rLq-CfiHvGuPF8aNXCzg7P8NaFxQvygPyCiH-FaS7kt3HhMCYpyVA

I've had this set for longer than I can remember. It put me through a lot of learning experiences which means it has some pretty bad wear and tear on it and it's high time for a refresh. Thanks to using this set for over a decade, I've grown accustomed to the quality of life features inherent to the set... features which seem utterly lacking from most stovetop sets I've come across! So here's what I'm looking for in a replacement.

- No budget. I don't want anyone to hold suggestions back just because they're overpriced. That said, this set I linked was less than a hundred bucks.
- Non-stick. I'm an idiot, I can't take care of metal. Ceramic is probably fine, though? I don't know, I've never had a ceramic pot or pan!
- Glass surface, electric stove-top friendly.
- I'm at least looking to replace the 2 sauce pans and 1 skillet from the original set, so keep an eye on those sizes specifically. All 3 should have their own lids. The large pot and small pan don't need replacing since they don't get much use but I'm not opposed to a set that includes these or other extras.
- The large pan has to have a 90 degree angle side. Most stuff I find has curved sides which, to me, just means food slides off while I'm mixing it. I extremely like the pan having a sharp 90 degree angle on the side.
- I need the colander lids. These have been so incredibly helpful with draining water and fat, they are essential. Somehow, this is also a rarity among cookware sets I've looked up. I actually do not understand how this isn't the norm.
- The lids should be see-through.
- It would be nice if the handles had holes in them so I could hang the stuff from hooks.
- It would be nice if the handles didn't heat up with the pot. I shouldn't have to ask this but... I once got an "authentic" wok that had its metal handle welded to the bowl and uhh, that poo poo was just dangerous.

The closest I could come to finding something similar is this:
https://www.surlatable.com/pro-6550164-set-11pc-ha-levels/PRO-6550164.html?cgid=SCA-389602&start=94

But the large pan doesn't have the angles I like and the photos don't make it obvious exactly what it is I'm getting. I want a better look at those two smaller pans and it seems like this was all built for stackability, which isn't my concern.

Sorry if this post is just me being a crazy person but trying to replace this set drove me to it.

150 smackeroos

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-12-piece-non-stick-cookware-set.product.100494015.html

Don’t use metal utensils in them and they’ll last longer

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 26, 2023

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Steve Yun posted:

Don’t use metal utensils in them and they’ll last longer
drat that was fast. Yeah, I think this hits the mark and the only metal utensil I have is a whisk I try to use exclusively with my plastic and glass mixing bowls. I'll still take other suggestions if anyone's got them before I make the purchase, since this set has a few extras I don't need, but wow. Thanks so much!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

another thing is to please not store them like they look in the picture. i think we all know this but the less metal on metal the better

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A paper towel between would be fine

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I sold my calphalon tri-ply 6 quart and got an 8 quart from Homegoods for $40. It’s so nice being able to make batches and stir hard without worrying about it spilling over

Nice to brown in too because the walls are taller and less oil ends up on the countertop

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

A paper towel between would be fine

Home Goods / Marshall's / similar stores have felt pan divides, $8 for a set of 6 IIRC. Huge quality of life improvement since they're bigger than the kitchen rags we had been using, so they stay in place and putting pans or glass bowls away is a one handed operation instead of two.

E: this general style - each has 6 wings https://a.co/d/5TCC0OX

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 26, 2023

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Does anyone have a Wok they would recommend? I'm hoping to do some asian-style stir fry and I've never done wok cooking before, so I don't imagine I'd jump right into top-of-the-line, but something that's a good value that still provides the main benefits woks provide. It'd be on a gas stove.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Does anyone have a Wok they would recommend? I'm hoping to do some asian-style stir fry and I've never done wok cooking before, so I don't imagine I'd jump right into top-of-the-line, but something that's a good value that still provides the main benefits woks provide. It'd be on a gas stove.

The Joyce Chen woks get the job done. Handles are removable so it's easy to oven season them if you want to go that route.
Flat Bottomed: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001VQIP4
Round bottom: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RBTH

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I’m no expert on the subject, but I recently got a carbon steel one from The Wok Shop as I’d seen it recommended by a few places (including Kenji, whose opinion I generally trust at this point). They’re pretty reasonable pricewise, though shipping can drive that up.

I’m still breaking it in but so far I’ve been happy with it. The model I got has a metal handle which does get hot during use, I’d also ordered a silicone cover for it but I guess they sold out of them between ordering and shipping as they refunded that. It’d probably help, I just use my oven mitts (welding gloves) when it gets too much for bare hands.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don’t need to spend a lot of money on a wok. Joyce Chen is fine or wok shop or any number of nameless brands found on Amazon. Decide if you want a wooden or metal handle and what size and go from there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

.Z. posted:

The Joyce Chen woks get the job done. Handles are removable so it's easy to oven season them if you want to go that route.
Flat Bottomed: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001VQIP4
Round bottom: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RBTH

I would recommend something with 3-4 rivets or a welded joint, 2 rivets act like a hinge and allow the handle to rock loose over time

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NKUDRP2/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Our apartment has one of those glass-top electric stoves that I hate. Luckily, my cast iron wok does eventually get up to a pretty acceptable heat. It's got a flat bottom that picks up the heat pretty well. I'm pretty sure it's made by Lodge.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Have decided that this is the year when I stop whining about not having a kitchen scale, and actually get a kitchen scale. What should I be looking at?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

C-Euro posted:

Have decided that this is the year when I stop whining about not having a kitchen scale, and actually get a kitchen scale. What should I be looking at?

Kitchen Scale - Bakers Math Kitchen Scale - KD8000 Scale by My Weight, Silver https://a.co/d/5fv7E6f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

C-Euro posted:

The My Weight KD-8000 unless you need < 1 g accuracy.