Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Jon Irenicus posted:

okay so every single person I can recruit is a 1) dork 2) goofus 3) weirdo and Alear has to play straight man for all of them lol

You've woken up to a world full of absolute nutcases that you need to save the world. it's the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jon Irenicus posted:

okay so every single person I can recruit is a 1) dork 2) goofus 3) weirdo and Alear has to play straight man for all of them lol

Yeah it owns

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Lol I don’t know why but I didn’t consider that knife poison would add +1 damage for every hit of Lodestar Rush. I wouldn’t be able to kill Goldmary in two turns otherwise.

Game continues to own.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok at what point can I give people the Tome proficiency? Is Tiki the only one to give it or something? How are you all making Anna a mage?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 27, 2023

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAzKWUdwvL8&t=201s

timestamp is at 3:21

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok at what point can I give people the Tome proficiency? Is Tiki the only one to give it or something? How are you all making Anna a mage?

Celica...?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

ChrisBTY posted:

once you get someone to bond 5 you can keep going the second time

most proficiencies are at 6

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

celica bond level 6, micaiah bond level 9

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Oh gods I'm a dope. I never thought to do it until after chapter 11 Thank you.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I think the Est archetype has pretty much just been replaced by the...Donnel archetype, I guess? Your character who starts underlevelled and weak but becomes a god if trained* is the rando villager kid you pick up fairly early instead of showing up at the rear end end of the game.

*values of underlevelled may very wildly, godhood not guaranteed depending on which way they're handling aptitude this game

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Anna is basically an Est tbh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its not an Est if you get them within the first like 8 chapters.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

eh she can turn out incredibly bad if you don't get lucky

PoundofHumanHair
May 28, 2014
I’m going to sound like an idiot, but once you gain proficiency with a weapon type through a ring bond, you only have that proficiency while the emblem ring of that character is equipped, correct?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PoundofHumanHair posted:

I’m going to sound like an idiot, but once you gain proficiency with a weapon type through a ring bond, you only have that proficiency while the emblem ring of that character is equipped, correct?

Nope that character just has it forever*. Note that it only counts for class changing, it does not let a character use weapons which aren't native to their class.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The main difference between an Est and Donnel is that the latter requires a second seal to start being amazing honestly.

Donnel/Mozou need to get out of their base class asap, Mozou makes for a god tier archer on conquest as a niche.

Jean is fine as a healer, his unique double growth is wasted on monk growths, but staffs are stupid powerful that he's gonna be good anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

blizzardvizard posted:

joins about ten chapters too early

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Jean would be so much better if you got a second seal earlier than post-ch8 imo

Not to say he isn't still good but his personal skill could be so much better on a class that's more focused.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 27, 2023

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i do think it's very funny that the 'donnel' archetype is really more the Mozu archetype with donnel as a weird outlier. She and Cyril function better as units with very specific roles that don't actually outperform your other units, since they're player phase problem solvers rather than dedicated frontline units. donnel's basically ross 2 but without an axe that bails him out of his bad trainee class, but in exchange he gets to leverage awakening's stupid juggernauting tools (worse than vaike or gregor)

jean is the early troubadour but without a horse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PoundofHumanHair posted:

no, you just have the proficiency forever

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

blizzardvizard posted:

Anna wants to be Est but doesn't really have the growths to pull it off, and I say this as somebody who dragged her up through the mud to the late game. She's currently a level 13 warrior and probably the worst unit on my core team, mostly because she just absolutely refuses to gain a decent amount of STR or DEF. Her build is also pretty bad even as a warrior. Like she's fine, but a lot of units in my army are way better and if I ever do another run I'm probably just going to hold out for Panette who as a base level 1 berserker I've shown zero combat still has higher STR than Anna.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i'm honestly a bit thrown off by them starting anna as an axe fighter given that she very clearly wants to be awakening anna with a levin sword, staff access or even just magic. they trained her wrong on purpose, as a joke?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

It makes it much funnier though when she does turn into an absolute player phase beast in her base tree and the little girl ends up axemurdering the local dragonsatan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ungulateman posted:

i'm honestly a bit thrown off by them starting anna as an axe fighter given that she very clearly wants to be awakening anna with a levin sword, staff access or even just magic. they trained her wrong on purpose, as a joke?

So is Clanne

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

They know that smol girl plus lorge axe equals good and all else is secondary. They're just saving me the second seal for having to do it myself.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Yeah, Anna feels like a tutorial on Second Seals, except the message never pops up and you can't see growth rates in-game. As a Mage she's got 75/50/60 Magic/Speed/Resistance growths and decent bases and both Sage and Mage Knight are amazing for her, but as a Warrior she... can pretty much just use the Shining Bow, that's her purpose. She is way too fragile for the Hurricane Axe.

Also, chapter 20's boss is very funny to enemy phase. Double Qi Adept allies don't do a drat thing if you wait for him to attack first, and since his return-damage skill on the last two bars doesn't activate on fatal damage, if you one-shot him with a critical then you take no damage from it. I'm pretty sure him getting Echo on the last two bars is supposed to discourage you from enemy phasing him that way, but he never managed to hit Panette even once due to Speedtaker and Corrin's Engraving having +10 Avoid along with the +30 Crit. Guy just got utterly clowned on.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Hellioning posted:

They know that smol girl plus lorge axe equals good and all else is secondary. They're just saving me the second seal for having to do it myself.
if they wanted her to keep the axe they could've given her more than 15% str growth :colbert:

Einander posted:

Yeah, Anna feels like a tutorial on Second Seals, except the message never pops up and you can't see growth rates in-game. As a Mage she's got 75/50/60 Magic/Speed/Resistance growths and decent bases and both Sage and Mage Knight are amazing for her, but as a Warrior she... can pretty much just use the Shining Bow, that's her purpose. She is way too fragile for the Hurricane Axe.
this is honestly the most baffling thing to me about the series. you would think, surely, surely at some point, they would've buried this in a stats screen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Status update: Paladin Alear is actually solid as hell, not only did he get some solid stat boosts by second sealing but now he seems to be getting way more STR out of nowhere? Turns out the default dragon classes might just be bad, will report back.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they should really just let you see the growth rates

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
just give a vague indication of their 'aptitudes' or something somewhere

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Ike's Paralogue did not gently caress around. That was way harder than the actual map it was referencing

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Augus posted:

they should really just let you see the growth rates

lih posted:

just give a vague indication of their 'aptitudes' or something somewhere

I'm pretty sure this is the way pokemon does it (or did in the past, I haven't played Scarlet/Violet).

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Sydin posted:

Status update: Paladin Alear is actually solid as hell, not only did he get some solid stat boosts by second sealing but now he seems to be getting way more STR out of nowhere? Turns out the default dragon classes might just be bad, will report back.

The Divine Dragon class has pretty poor base stats for combat. I made Alear into a Griffin and he nearly has the same stats as Chloe.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I couldn't imagine giving up Dragon bonuses for anything, honestly.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Lyn we are friends why did you murder Framme in cold blood

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

PoundofHumanHair posted:

specifically

proficiencies are class locked, some classes have required profs. you get profs by doing ring rank ups. you sitll need a given class to use it, unless having the emblem specifically lets you use something (like miciah just going 'yea have sticks)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Tidal waves during a limited turn map are NOT cool!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I couldn't imagine giving up Dragon bonuses for anything, honestly.

And also punching is very cool

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

And also punching is very cool

No gonna lie I either forgot or didn't notice in the first place that Alear's promotion gave them arts until someone pointed out that is why it doesn't get S swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jon Irenicus posted:

every one of alear's c supports is just her allies being insanely weird and alear trying as hard as possible to be polite to them