Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BRJurgis posted:

None of us wanted to be George. Don't let this world turn you into George.

Why not be Kramer? Smooth and you don't even smell. Loose as a goose and ready to roll.

But I don't wanna use the N word!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BRJurgis posted:

None of us wanted to be George. Don't let this world turn you into George.

Why not be Kramer? Smooth and you don't even smell. Loose as a goose and ready to roll.

It doesn’t have to be George.

If it was Kramer he’d fumble loading the bags and then they’d burst and he’d walk out of store carrying everything in his arms with milk and eggs dripping off his clothing

If it was Elaine she’d get in a physical altercation with the clerk

If it was Jerry he’d just turn to his girlfriend and tell her it’s time to earn her allowance so she can buy the junior year yearbook

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shame Boy posted:

This is like the first 5 minutes of a Seinfeld episode, one where George will obsess over that reaction for the rest of the episode.

You're George is what I'm saying.

Are you kidding? I never bring my own bags. You know my friend Bob Sacamono? He used to bring his own bags…

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I dunno. George actually had it decent at times. He worked a bullshit job for the yankees. He was engaged. He collaborated on a sitcom pilot. Summer of George.

But he often lived with his parents. Was bald. Obsessive over some very dumb poo poo. Faked a disability on more than one occasion.

Not particularly enviable, but he wasn't Newman.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the loathsome union man

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Everyone should cheat at risk because you can finish faster and play something good

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cat botherer posted:

It’s such an obvious solution and way easier than carrying a bunch of bags that rip.

I have a bag that doesn't rip. Suck it, bagailures.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HashtagGirlboss posted:

But how will you know where your groceries came from without the branding on the bag?

you not a real human being unless you are always selling THE BRANDS

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

Everyone should cheat at risk because you can finish faster and play something good

If you squeeze the plastic X it looks like a I when you place it and later you can be like NAW that's a ten! see??

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

If you squeeze the plastic X it looks like a I when you place it and later you can be like NAW that's a ten! see??

This is how you get knifed over a game of Risk

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That's why it's called that.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have a bag that doesn't rip. Suck it, bagailures.
Hold that bag

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Every bag rips if you pull hard enough

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

True for so many things.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wonder what happens when China stops accepting plastic waste from the US. It was really disappointing to discover that a lot of plastic material isn't really recyclable; I had assumed it could be melted down and reused.

While the most obvious solution is "make less plastic crap" we all know that's not going to happen. Are there any remotely carbon neutral things we can do with this junk? Shred it into insulation? An alternative to cotton batting for cushions or something? Any useful things we can make out of this junk?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Wonder what happens when China stops accepting plastic waste from the US. It was really disappointing to discover that a lot of plastic material isn't really recyclable; I had assumed it could be melted down and reused.

That has happened already and the answer is "it gets baled up into cubes and left at warehouses until they're full, at which point it's thrown in a landfill"

e: Yeah it happened in 2018 lol

https://e360.yale.edu/features/piling-up-how-chinas-ban-on-importing-waste-has-stalled-global-recycling

Hell it's prolly better for the environment to turn oil that would have otherwise been burned into plastic and then bury it in a landfill forever :thunk:

e2: lol

quote:

Even before China’s ban, only 9 percent of discarded plastics were being recycled, while 12 percent were burned. The rest were buried in landfills or simply dumped and left to wash into rivers and oceans.

Great!

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Jan 26, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Shame Boy posted:

That has happened already and the answer is "it gets baled up into cubes and left at warehouses until they're full, at which point it's thrown in a landfill"

Pretty sure a supermarket chain in Aussie just got busted for doing this with a "soft plastic recycling" scam a couple of weeks ago

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

so much china bad vitriol just from the link text lol

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Palladium posted:

so much china bad vitriol just from the link text lol

:lol:

quote:

The U.S. and Europe, where many cities have longstanding recycling collection programs, have been especially hard-hit. Decades of reliance on China had stifled development of domestic markets and infrastructure.
European nations that had exported most of their recyclables to China have faced growing piles of low-quality plastic scrap, causing “a congestion of the whole system,” says Chaim Waibel, advisor for the industry association Plastics Recyclers Europe. The displaced European plastic was mostly diverted to Indonesia, Turkey, India, Malaysia, and Vietnam, Waibel says.

Simon Ellin, CEO of The Recycling Association, a UK industry group, said these countries have struggled to cope with the volume displaced by the Chinese ban and were beginning to impose their own import restrictions.

How could china do this to us???

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
liberals consistently shocked by how useless they are

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Just bury it ffs, at least it's sequestered then

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
no that's the job of poor countries, that's how recycling works, I send my trash to someone else's house and then they figure out what to do with it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just get rid of single use plastics outside of very occasional and specific circumstances and stop making people feel guilty about their individual behaviors, goddamn

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
really symbolic when west whines about not being able export literal trash

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Consumers shouldn't feel bad about putting empty containers in the wrong bin or sipping on plastic straws they should feel bad about how they go to the convenience store and get a plastic bottle of soda instead of bringing a glass bottle to a fountain

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
there's a McDonald's near me and it's the cheapest place to get food that isn't a subway but you can only eat there if you drive through because the dining room has been closed for three years.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

there's a McDonald's near me and it's the cheapest place to get food that isn't a subway but you can only eat there if you drive through because the dining room has been closed for three years.

And if you ain't got a car you'll starve to death

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

congrats on living in the only place in the world where something is locked down

Milo and POTUS posted:

And if you ain't got a car you'll starve to death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlACmGvig7E

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wrex Ruckus posted:

congrats on living in the only place in the world where something is locked down

At least it's harder for people to throw poo poo at staff and start fights over nugget sauce this way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Oh not remotely. Vast swaths of suburban america basically never unlocked their doors

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah they said great we make enough business via the drive thru and don't have to spend time or cleaning supplies on maintaining a dining area, no customer bathroom to deal with. They certainly aren't doing it for covid reasons.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Wrex Ruckus posted:

that’s normal out here the Not McDonald’s fast foods places don’t even manage that. The Arby’s is just randomly closed some days and is never open past 6:00. the Burger King almost as bad. Just random days doesn’t manage to be open for lunch.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah they said great we make enough business via the drive thru and don't have to spend time or cleaning supplies on maintaining a dining area, no customer bathroom to deal with. They certainly aren't doing it for covid reasons.

nah it’s staffing they can’t hire cause they v don’t pay enough.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How does getting home after a night on the town even work in America? Normally, you get the bus/train after buying some lovely fast food, but America only has cars and apparently you can't even buy a burger without a car?

I mean, aside from drunk driving.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You got it in one

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

BonHair posted:

How does getting home after a night on the town even work in America? Normally, you get the bus/train after buying some lovely fast food, but America only has cars and apparently you can't even buy a burger without a car?

Or you hire a car servant (rideshare)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

BonHair posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BonHair posted:

We have PSA campaigns about how cool and good it is to have a "designated driver" in your friends group whose job is to not drink at all so they can drive everyone home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
no one will ever lie about drink driving