Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Neito posted:

Theoretically there are protocols that could maintain the block chain over Ham, but like, even with current regulations and cooperation, sending a small email can be a nightmare, and there's some hams that are very protective of the spectrum independant of government regulation....

Since block chain traffic doesn't have to be encrypted (just signed, as I understand it) you could transmit it over ham frequencies, but you can't use ham frequencies for monetary gain.

Of course in a post-apocalyptic scenario that doesn't matter because there's nobody to enforce it. So you're now just dealing with technical limitations. Packet over shortwave is absolutely slow as balls, so let's talk about VHF, where I've seen people talk about data rates as high as 9600 bps. At 9600 bps, a 1MB Bitcoin block would take over 14 minutes to transmit, and that's without any sort of data integrity / retransmission taken into account (you will need this). But new blocks are added every 10 minutes... so I guess you better start hogging some more spectrum or you'll never have a prayer of keeping up.

steinrokkan posted:

memorized monkey JPEG ownership tables

forget "cellar door", we've found the new most beautiful phrase in the English language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Porfiriato posted:

Maybe they want to make it legal for people to still pay in gold certificates if they're so inclined?

Tangential, but that reminds me that I haven't seen a silver certificate in years, although some are apparently still in circulation. I also haven't seen a $2 bill in several years - the last time I did it was because I specifically requested a bunch of them from the bank for a gift I was giving.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ok I just looked up when they stopped printing $2 bills and apparently they still do! I guess it was just an urban legend that they had stopped printing them (they did between 1966 - 1976), I remember getting them as a gift and holding onto them as they were rare.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Popete posted:

Ok I just looked up when they stopped printing $2 bills and apparently they still do! I guess it was just an urban legend that they had stopped printing them (they did between 1966 - 1976), I remember getting them as a gift and holding onto them as they were rare.

People think they're bad luck so they're not as popular these days, but popular enough as novelties I guess?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i thought nobody wanted $2 bills because convincing idiots that they really are legit currency is a pain in the rear end

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I used a $2 bill for tooth fairy money, then switched to Sacagawea gold dollar coins.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

i thought nobody wanted $2 bills because convincing idiots that they really are legit currency is a pain in the rear end

I used to work for a financial company that had a huge stockpile of $2 bills and they'd hand them out like candy for any kind of like, minor achievement or recognition at work. And even a bunch of people who worked there, after years, thought they were just fake money made up by the company for giving out in that manner.

Whenever I tried to spend them at places, I generally didn't have any trouble getting people to believe they were real, but a whoooole lot of cashiers tried to talk me out of spending them because they thought they were rare, and not just a thing you could go to the bank and pick up by the boxload.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

The last time I saw $2 bills and dollar coins in person was years ago, when I was at a poutine stand. It was being ran by this hipster guy with a waxed mustache and his acne riddled, fedora wearing son and it was the only change they were giving out

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Neito posted:

Theoretically there are protocols that could maintain the block chain over Ham

That sounds cruel to the pigs.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

That sounds cruel to the pigs.

It's the PPB¹ protocol.

¹ pigpoopballs.jpg

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They say a man tried to create Pigballcoin, but he was immediately destroyed by those balls.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lazyfire posted:

The US went through a pretty weird set of monetary systems pre-income tax. State specific or even regional currencies weren't uncommon and you'd even have foreign currencies still circulating in old French territories or near the borders. Around the Civil War era things started to get more aligned, especially with soldiers pay being in USD, weapon purchases in USD and reconstruction money being financed with USD. The introduction of the income tax made the US Dollar the only currency that had legitimacy decades later, but at that time there were more places paying in company script than regional currencies. The US treasury has issued a bunch of different types and denominations of currency that are considered legal tender or specie and so those provisions are probably there if someone wants to pay in old gold coins or wooden nickels or something else that predates the modern Treasury system, sort of a protection from those stories about someone getting arrested because they tried to pay with a $3 bill.

Isn't the liberty dollar scenario also relevant? That was a recent one.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no joke, i've seen some coiners insist that they could keep the blockchain going via radio if the internet went away

Yeah the argument I heard when I pointed out how stupid these concepts were to coiners, was satellite. Because satellite will clearly magic away the whole "We declare this illegal/ban this activity" which is absolutely possible with Bitcoin.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

drk posted:

He is a "market maker" (in apes, millions of dollars of apes)

As a sophisticated businessman, posting on twitter the details of how you buy stolen goods and how you are mad that it is difficult to resell these stolen goods seems like a good idea

(seriously what is it with cryptobros posting details of their crimes on twitter)

it's cool and selfless of this guy to volunteer himself as the final bag holders for apes

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How has nobody made a rip off of BYAC that is just slightly different ape JPEGs but for a fraction of the price? Dilute the market with apes.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Popete posted:

How has nobody made a rip off of BYAC that is just slightly different ape JPEGs but for a fraction of the price? Dilute the market with apes.

lmao if you think they haven't

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That Ryder Ripps guy did that as some sort of dumb protest against them and they're suing him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Popete posted:

There's literally dozens.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
90% of nfts are some form of ape or elon musk

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well there goes my get rich quick scheme.

But perhaps I could make a game the utilizes the blockchain to sell items that would be unique and usable in other games...

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Boxturret posted:

90% of nfts are some form of ape or elon musk

What's the difference? :confused:

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Isnt BAYC basically the crypto version if supreme?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Popete posted:

But how do you tell the difference between the real thing and the lovely knockoff?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Pirate Radar posted:

But how do you tell the difference between the real thing and the lovely knockoff?

Because the blockchain records it. Duh!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

Since block chain traffic doesn't have to be encrypted (just signed, as I understand it) you could transmit it over ham frequencies, but you can't use ham frequencies for monetary gain.

Of course in a post-apocalyptic scenario that doesn't matter because there's nobody to enforce it. So you're now just dealing with technical limitations. Packet over shortwave is absolutely slow as balls, so let's talk about VHF, where I've seen people talk about data rates as high as 9600 bps. At 9600 bps, a 1MB Bitcoin block would take over 14 minutes to transmit, and that's without any sort of data integrity / retransmission taken into account (you will need this). But new blocks are added every 10 minutes... so I guess you better start hogging some more spectrum or you'll never have a prayer of keeping up.

The other technical problem is that bitcoin expects the network to be global. If the apocalypse cuts intercontinental communication off, you'll split the network into eg USA-bitcoin and China-bitcoin, which is all very well, until a couple of years later someone manages to get a long range link running and the networks merge again, undoing every transaction on the half which has the fewest miners

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It would be like a Numbers Station, but just more stupid.

"...A u 2 k 3 m N W 9 a X 1 9 e 3 ..End of block chain"

"Sounds like Old Zeke in bunker 2 bought himself some drugs"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

The other technical problem is that bitcoin expects the network to be global. If the apocalypse cuts intercontinental communication off, you'll split the network into eg USA-bitcoin and China-bitcoin, which is all very well, until a couple of years later someone manages to get a long range link running and the networks merge again, undoing every transaction on the half which has the fewest miners

Oh, yeah also when I talk about transmitting a block over VHF in 14 minutes, that's with a range of like 100 miles if you're lucky. You can retransmit hop after hop, but that means it takes all day for your single block (one generated every 10 minutes, recall) to cross the US.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ups_rail posted:

Isnt BAYC basically the crypto version if supreme?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i love how the red rectangle isn't aligned with the columns of icons

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Popete posted:

Steve Wozniak likes to get them in full uncut (but perforated) sheets and bind them together in a notebook and tear them off one at a time

He seems like the exact kind of dweeb you’d expect to do that

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pirate Radar posted:

What every time you look at an ape JPEG you don't verify it on the block chain to confirm it's the real deal? But what if you're looking at a copy or imitation??

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Popete posted:

What every time you look at an ape JPEG you don't verify it on the block chain to confirm it's the real deal? But what if you're looking at a copy or imitation??

pretty sure that makes you a criminal

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If I have a "mental image picture" of an ape picture in my organic neural network, do I owe the apeholder royalties?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nessus posted:

If I have a "mental image picture" of an ape picture in my organic neural network, do I owe the apeholder royalties?

Yes

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Nessus posted:

Please don't give them ideas. Now were going to see ai generatef art as nfts.

Edit: Or worse... ai prompts themselves

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

nullEntityRNG posted:

Please don't give them ideas. Now were going to see ai generatef art as nfts.

That became a thing about three seconds after AI art generators did

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

jokes posted:

I'm pretty sure crypto people honestly, truly, 100% believe that crypto will survive the apocalypse lol

It's loving insane that goldbugs are the reasonable ones in any arena

:eng101: Crypto is robust and versatile. Remember, the mining process can be reversed thus reclaiming the spent energy, although the currency is lost in the process. However, with some unconventional accounting, we can keep the internet up and ensure that the Blockchain functions even when the fiat power grid fails.

Gutcruncher posted:

Steve Wozniak likes to get them in full uncut (but perforated) sheets and bind them together in a notebook and tear them off one at a time

He seems like the exact kind of dweeb you’d expect to do that

Heading out to the gentleman's club? One sec while I grab the binder.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Ziv Zulander posted:

The last time I saw $2 bills and dollar coins in person was years ago, when I was at a poutine stand. It was being ran by this hipster guy with a waxed mustache and his acne riddled, fedora wearing son and it was the only change they were giving out

For many, many years the Pasadena swap meet only gave change in two dollar bills / dollar coins. For a while its ticketing system changed for covid, but I think it went back to cash.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

erosion posted:

:eng101: Crypto is robust and versatile. Remember, the mining process can be reversed thus reclaiming the spent energy, although the currency is lost in the process. However, with some unconventional accounting, we can keep the internet up and ensure that the Blockchain functions even when the fiat power grid fails.

Heading out to the gentleman's club? One sec while I grab the binder.

lol i think there are many bitcoin people who actually believe that

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

lol i think there are many bitcoin people who actually believe that

they literally think bitcoin is a battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

random dude was posting threads about collectibles that are both an nft and real collectible "stored" in their vault. dude was obviously shilling this poo poo while making it out to be, "have you seen this cool new thing?" the mods in the subreddit deleted his first post and then when he angrily reposted the same post he was eventually banned from the subreddit. with the thread off the subreddit and the guy blocked i didn't even know he wrote a reply to me until i went to see if he was still shilling this thing. (please don't go searching for this. assuming its even searchable)

the thing he was shilling is called Collector Crypt.
Me:
"There is literally zero reason this thing needs the "blockchain" for this. Except they want to additionally shill "NFT" as though a link to a jpeg in a json is worth the storage space being used for it.

Hint: If one company is the controller you don't need a blockchain for it. May as well spin up a MySQL database. It's just not as attractive as saying, "blockchain"."

Their reply:
"I don't agree with this. There are many things that the blockchain brings to the party.

I live in the united states, so its not a big deal, but if I were in singapore or japan, or maybe lets include Brazil or Argentina, its pretty expensive to buy stuff in USD on eBay. I literally have to jump through 3 layers of transaction fees and then have to deal with international shipping. Instead, with blockchain, I can use my local crypto exchange and get USDC with 0 fees and then buy on a 2% fee marketplace.

Composability and decentralization are two things that cannot happen without the blockchain. You probably stuck your head in the ground with the internet as well. You should have kept your head there because now you just use the internet to jump on and call other people's ideas garbage."