Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

my alma mater's baseball field is named Curtis Granderson field. there are 5 MLBers who went to UIC, including Mickey McDonald who had 6 PAs with the A's last year and posted an enviable .000/.333/.000 slashline

e: 4, counted Ken Holtzman twice because he appears on the "batting" list as well as the "pitching" list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

General Bullshit posted:

Is Buster Posey going to be the only person from the Even Year Bullshit teams to get into the hall?

Tim Hudson was on the 2014 team, but Posey is the almost certainly the only core player from that group. It wasn't called bullshit because they had a loaded roster every year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

plus winning an MVP as a catcher is pretty loving rare, I think he gets in pretty easily
It may be now, but there was a period in the 50's when the writers were obsessed with giving catcher MVPs

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Should have had a shot of him holding 4 fingers up

https://twitter.com/wegoticezo/status/1618698200495579136?s=20&t=xCphb39g1hoZYuXPa3y8-g

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Joe Mauer's biggest strike is the same thing that kept his career alive: moving to first. Had he been a catcher the whole time, he'd a be a lock. Turns out that catcher is hard to play when you're a big dude, between the wear on your knees and your brains getting scrombled a few times.

I really, really hope he makes it, what with the hardware and being the face of the game for a few years there. But I can see grumpy writers making the same argument grumpy fans made: if he's gonna play first he's gotta produce like a first baseman (despite playing at a GG level there defensively.)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Good Dog posted:

My alma mater had the likes of Longo, Tulo, Weaver, Jason Vargas, Marco Estrada and Jared Hughes roll through in 2004-2005. Longo and Tulo playing third and short is a pretty good left side of the infield. I don't think Long Beach has had anyone of note since.

those Dirtbag teams were really fun

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

please be real

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you play as LaRussa you have to play a mini game where you try to drive to the field without crashing and avoiding check points.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Good Dog posted:

My alma mater had the likes of Longo, Tulo, Weaver, Jason Vargas, Marco Estrada and Jared Hughes roll through in 2004-2005. Longo and Tulo playing third and short is a pretty good left side of the infield. I don't think Long Beach has had anyone of note since.

Go Beach!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

patented DualSense/Breathalyzer technology requires players to blow into the controller before going online

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

patented DualSense/Breathalyzer technology requires players to blow into the controller before going online

Requires a minimum .08 BAC to play.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

singlehandedly beating the Royals

Godammit :cry: Too soon

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Yadier Molina is a future HoFer right? I have been thinking "yes, of course" cause he's the best defensive catcher I've ever seen, but I just looked and he's only got like 40 WAR so idk what'll happen

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

rickiep00h posted:

Joe Mauer's biggest strike is the same thing that kept his career alive: moving to first. Had he been a catcher the whole time, he'd a be a lock. Turns out that catcher is hard to play when you're a big dude, between the wear on your knees and your brains getting scrombled a few times.

He still played catcher for 10 seasons (twice as long as he spent at first base) and had plenty of PAs at the position, along with an MVP and three batting titles. What's more, the WAR from his 7-year peak as a catcher is higher than Yogi Berra and Carlton Fisk.

He'll be fine. I'd put the over-under at three years on the ballot.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

camoseven posted:

Yadier Molina is a future HoFer right? I have been thinking "yes, of course" cause he's the best defensive catcher I've ever seen, but I just looked and he's only got like 40 WAR so idk what'll happen

Molina is a lock the way Ortiz was.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

camoseven posted:

fWAR likes him quite a bit better than bWAR does, for what it's worth. I've made my peace with the fact that he's just too beloved not to get in, even if Mauer and Posey were both probably better. Defense and clubhouse poo poo are always harder to measure, and it's not like this is some Jack Morris case where he's undeserving and the old-timers are obviously wrong.

As long as he doesn't get in before Mauer does, I'm cool with it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Molina like Braun should go in prison

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Blind Pineapple posted:

Tim Hudson was on the 2014 team, but Posey is the almost certainly the only core player from that group. It wasn't called bullshit because they had a loaded roster every year.

:lol: at this lineup sweeping the series.

https://twitter.com/Starting9/status/1618640801311133697

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Look at the name directly in the middle to understand why this team couldn't lose

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

maruhkati posted:

I've made my peace with the fact that he's just too beloved not to get in, even if Mauer and Posey were both probably better.

Buster's a lock for getting in on the first ballot, right? I figured that was just assumed.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

camoseven posted:

No, because hes a Cardinal so gently caress him.

But he also took a 102 mph foul tip directly to the nuts and needed surgery and that alone should be cause for induction.

So I'm torn.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Just like that scrotum

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Buster's a lock for getting in on the first ballot, right? I figured that was just assumed.

Statistically he looks like a borderline guy but the MVP and being the best player on a dynasty probably pushes him over.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's extremely hard for a catcher to rack up crazy WAR numbers. The all time bWAR leader is Johnny Bench at 75. Only four catchers make it over 60 WAR. Every other fielding position has at least one player over 100 career bWAR. That's largely because of the toll the position takes on players, the career leader in plate appearances among those listed as catchers is Ivan Rodriguez with just over 10,000. Every other position has at least a couple people with over 12,000 on the lists, even if all those PAs didn't come at the position they're listed under.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah I guess he is more of a peak case than I assumed, but I feel like he was practically the face of baseball during the EYBS years.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Posey's career bWAR is nine below the Hall of Fame average but his 7-year peak is two over, and he retired young and when he was still good. He'll definitely get in and all the accolades will probably help him go first ballot.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Buster's easily a top-10 catcher all time based on rate stats and WAR per season. The only thing that hurts his case is retiring at 34. He also sat out the covid season. He has way fewer PAs than other all time great catchers.

Buster hit .304/.390/.499 in his final season so I don't think you can label him a short peak guy. His hip was finally healthy and he could've played at a high level for a few more years, IMO.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

rickiep00h posted:

I really, really hope he makes it, what with the hardware and being the face of the game for a few years there. But I can see grumpy writers making the same argument grumpy fans made: if he's gonna play first he's gotta produce like a first baseman (despite playing at a GG level there defensively.)
I think if he gets the Gold Glove he deserved at first, he's a first ballot guy. Or if Phil Cuzzi isn't a total piece of poo poo. The new school guys seem universally in on him and I feel like Gold Gloves at 2 positions sways the boomers.

Forget batting titles and MVPs and gold gloves though. Man earned it on these two moments alone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBO2sQnIs9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb_Z2kKYy3Y

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

TIL that it took Jimmie Foxx 7! years of voting to get in the Hall

Keep in mind that the 500 HR club was like 4 people at this point

https://twitter.com/baseballhall/status/1618695321810247701?s=46&t=aj4WRw9P3GCuOwdNYuqGSQ
Joe Dimaggio - All-Star every year of his career, 56-game hitting streak, .325 career average, 9 rings, ~80 WAR - got less than 50% on his first ballot. BBWAA members have always been assholes.

That's why the NBA is the best Hall of Fame by far. Were you involved with basketball? Were you famous because of your involvement in basketball for a period of time? Congratulations you are a Hall of Famer. "Inclusive" HoF's are far superior.

Related Hall of Fame note: former Indians prospect/washout Alex Ramirez was voted into the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame....last week? He hit 380 home runs in 13 season in Japan and also managed an NPB team for five years. He was elected along with Randy Bass - the first two foreign-born players elected in three decades.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 27, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Joe Dimaggio - All-Star every year of his career, 56-game hitting streak, .325 career average, 9 rings, ~80 WAR - got less than 50% on his first ballot. BBWAA members have always been assholes.

That's why the NBA is the best Hall of Fame by far. Were you involved with basketball? Were you famous because of your involvement in basketball for a period of time? Congratulations you are a Hall of Famer. "Inclusive" HoF's are far superior.

The hockey HoF is great too, a lot of fun.

People that think the exclusivity and bullshit involved in getting into baseball's is a good and positive thing are just huffing the farts of dinosaur losers.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Paracaidas posted:

I think if he gets the Gold Glove he deserved at first, he's a first ballot guy. Or if Phil Cuzzi isn't a total piece of poo poo. The new school guys seem universally in on him and I feel like Gold Gloves at 2 positions sways the boomers.

Forget batting titles and MVPs and gold gloves though. Man earned it on these two moments alone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBO2sQnIs9A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb_Z2kKYy3Y

God.

I really miss that cake-eating bastard. The Twins from the era right at the opening of Target Field were an incredible squad to enjoy that got completely screwed by MLB's playoffs seeding system ensuring they could never go anywhere.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

camoseven posted:

Absolutely.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

camoseven posted:

Molina is an exception guy where he doesn't have the WAR or counting stats to really deserve the Hall but will 100% get in because he was like the platonic ideal of the franchise catcher.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah, he seems like the kind of guy that even if he never found his offense the way he did he was gonna make it.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1618719182224506881?s=20&t=yJFURm5pcK-alz4qXMtXHg

Absolutely the best news of the offseason and a major silver lining in the cloud of all the stupid poo poo the White Sox have done in the last few years.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Reiche posted:

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1618719182224506881?s=20&t=yJFURm5pcK-alz4qXMtXHg

Absolutely the best news of the offseason and a major silver lining in the cloud of all the stupid poo poo the White Sox have done in the last few years.

Bring back Hawk

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Just wait til Steve Stone is critical of the players and they call up to the booth during the game and get him fired.

Oh wait that was the Cubs and Dusty Baker

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
There will be at least one voter who won’t vote for Yadi because of neck tattoos.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/Padres/status/1618671794893819905

Love these promos, will have to try and grab some off ebay. That city connect Hawaiian shirt :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sydin posted:

Molina is an exception guy where he doesn't have the WAR or counting stats to really deserve the Hall but will 100% get in because he was like the platonic ideal of the franchise catcher.

"played for only one team" always gives a boost to people.

Also from a few pages ago, I have no idea who the Saudi player is, because there have only been 2, and the last one played in 2019 (both were born there to American parents working there.)