Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There are a ton of used discs available here, what is the best mainline Forza on One/Series consoles? With the caveat that a) you can't buy DLC (cars etc.) anymore, b) I'm not planning to play online and c) I played 7 and really, really hated the forced homologation. At least by the time I played it the lootbox bullshit was just laughable instead of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

exquisite tea posted:

Hi-Fi Rush rules!!!

Man, Parrying in this game sucks balls. It is not a timing issue.
It is 7-phase timing issue after a long fight and having to retry until you succeed or die.
Just let me take a 50% damage and skip this stupid bullshit. :argh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

orcane posted:

There are a ton of used discs available here, what is the best mainline Forza on One/Series consoles? With the caveat that a) you can't buy DLC (cars etc.) anymore, b) I'm not planning to play online and c) I played 7 and really, really hated the forced homologation. At least by the time I played it the lootbox bullshit was just laughable instead of annoying.

I take it you're excluding the Horizon games, so probably Forza Motorsport 6, although I don't think it's One X or Series enhanced.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

univbee posted:

I take it you're excluding the Horizon games, so probably Forza Motorsport 6, although I don't think it's One X or Series enhanced.

played a bit of forza 6 the other day on a xbox one x and it looked surprisingly nice; but idk if its the most tolerable forza - the mods are a poo poo system and you're introduced to each track with a voiceover even if its the 9000th time you're visiting the alps or w/e

also doesn't have maple valley

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Scatterfold posted:

played a bit of forza 6 the other day on a xbox one x and it looked surprisingly nice; but idk if its the most tolerable forza - the mods are a poo poo system and you're introduced to each track with a voiceover even if its the 9000th time you're visiting the alps or w/e

also doesn't have maple valley

there is no forza motorsport game that meets your criteria

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
1.) Best wireless controller for kids? Doesn't have to be super performant. I just think they'll yank it off the shelf if its wired.

2.) Is the Upgrade 3 Years of Gold to Gamepass Ultimate for $150/total still a thing?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BonoMan posted:

1.) Best wireless controller for kids? Doesn't have to be super performant. I just think they'll yank it off the shelf if its wired.

Is there a reason that a normal Series controller won't work? It has been redesigned for smaller hands compared to the Xbone controller. My 6 year old seems pretty comfortable and happy with a normal Series controller, to my surprise.

Edit: and Tinykin is a great kid game. Teaches 3d platforming better than any of the mascot platformer revivals.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 27, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Twerk from Home posted:

Is there a reason that a normal Series controller won't work? It has been redesigned for smaller hands compared to the Xbone controller. My 6 year old seems pretty comfortable and happy with a normal Series controller, to my surprise.

Oh I didn't know if there was a cheaper off-brand thing available. Sorry I should have mentioned "cheaper so if they break it I don't feel too bad."

For our Switch we had the funlab controllers and they were perfect.

Guess I can just go grab some used ones from GameStop or whatever.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can get new Series controllers for $35 if you look for a sale and they’re by far the best modern controllers available.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

American McGay posted:

You can get new Series controllers for $35 if you look for a sale and they’re by far the best modern controllers available.

Geez that's cheap. Was hoping to get it this weekend though.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

webmeister posted:

Yeah it's been really great so far, I've super enjoyed it.

Monster Hunter, on the other hand, I started up the other night for the first time and holy poo poo - what a boring loving slog that is. For a game called Monster Hunter, I think it was at least 30 minutes of following around some annoying anime girls exhaustively explaining the details of every single game system before I could actually hunt any monsters. And even then the "monsters" were like baby dinosaurs or something, and the "trainer" accompanying me just killed them anyway.

I'm sure it gets better, but playing that the night before trying HiFi which is like "2 minute cinematic, now go beat up some robots with your guitar arm" was like night and day.

Monster Hunter tends to have bad tutorials yeah, the rails completely go off afterwards though. I think that fight with the babies is the last one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Issaries posted:

Man, Parrying in this game sucks balls. It is not a timing issue.
It is 7-phase timing issue after a long fight and having to retry until you succeed or die.
Just let me take a 50% damage and skip this stupid bullshit. :argh:

Parry finishers are the easiest part of the combat for me. Don’t even look at the icons just feel the rhythm. Every elite machine has its own unique sequence so it’s hard to mess up after awhile. Alternatively, just do enough damage to it and bypass the parry phase altogether.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

love a good Myst 3 reference on a friday

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

webmeister posted:

Yeah it's been really great so far, I've super enjoyed it.

Monster Hunter, on the other hand, I started up the other night for the first time and holy poo poo - what a boring loving slog that is. For a game called Monster Hunter, I think it was at least 30 minutes of following around some annoying anime girls exhaustively explaining the details of every single game system before I could actually hunt any monsters. And even then the "monsters" were like baby dinosaurs or something, and the "trainer" accompanying me just killed them anyway.

I'm sure it gets better, but playing that the night before trying HiFi which is like "2 minute cinematic, now go beat up some robots with your guitar arm" was like night and day.

Lol this was exactly my experience too. I immediately uninstalled after I went back to town post baby dino tutorial and the quest board had like 69 new tasks to teach me about even more systems. How, in tyool 2023, are you requiring 3 different trigger + button combos for a motherfucking dash?

Artadius
Nov 5, 2012
Trying to play Monster Hunter for the first time while being in the middle of your third playthrough of the masterpiece which is Elden Ring caused me to uninstall MH Rise so quickly.

:fireman:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Hi Fi Rush reminds me of a very very pretty late 00s b-game like anything grasshopper manufacture put out, but in the nicest way I can say that because it feels very nice to play

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol MH Rise is the most accessible game in the series and has dumbed down the systems and tutorials to babby levels, it is not that hard at all

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Doesn’t read like they’re finding it difficult to me, just tedious.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Monster Hunter series is overrated. Hoping Wild Hearts will be really good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mh rise is good and phil is watching the monster slaying counter on his computer with his hand over the "cancel japanese deals" button right now so maybe stop being a snowflake

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Escobarbarian posted:

Doesn’t read like they’re finding it difficult to me, just tedious.

I had basically the same experience as the others mentioned. So much explanation for very simple things like "here you buy weapons" and "here you get quests", perhaps one too many naming and customizing of things I'm not yet invested in, so much talking and explaining and then the culmination is button mashing through a few baby dinosaurs. I uninstalled too.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah that's exactly it. If you're gonna make me spend the first 30 minutes of a game doing three different versions of character creation and then running around the hub talking to people, the pets and the NPCs better be immediately charming as hell.

Otherwise, if the game is all about the combat, let me jump right into that and explain the mechanics as I go.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Yeah I've always found that series exhausting. The monsters are cool and the combat is allright but there is just so much tedium in between and you are always just running around the same maps over and over. It's cool people like it so much but I have tried to get into MH like 4 or 5 times and I always get so bored with it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

Mh rise is good and phil is watching the monster slaying counter on his computer with his hand over the "cancel japanese deals" button right now so maybe stop being a snowflake
This tbh.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

It's okay, I'm playing Persona instead

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Japanese games that aren't made by Fromsoft always seem to have way too many tutorials. I really wish they would cool those down. Even Hi-Fi rush which is otherwise so to the point has at least 4x the tutorials it needs.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

veni veni veni posted:

Japanese games that aren't made by Fromsoft always seem to have way too many tutorials. I really wish they would cool those down. Even Hi-Fi rush which is otherwise so to the point has at least 4x the tutorials it needs.

I mean I figure that HiFi Rush gets a pass because it has a style of combat that is (mostly) unique to itself. There was stuff I needed to be told in the kind of extended 'stage' tutorials.

It's a real bugbear of mine when this stuff is heavy handed. Probably one of the reasons that Deus Ex and Morrowind are two of mine (and many others') all time favourites is it just drops you the gently caress in. Morrowind tutorials + character creation are 5 minutes and Deus Ex has you making your first fun choice within the first 60 seconds (GEP all day baby).

It's also part of why New Vegas beats Fallout 3, and why I can't just fire up Skyrim on a whim.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I checked out Rise and was confused by the new mobility options, coming off several hundred hours in World. These wirebugs will take some getting used to, but they seem real cool.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i bought a circle pad pro to play MH3U on 3DS and then never played more than 30 minutes. still use the circle pad though it makes the 3DS better to hold. anyway that's my monster hunter story

goldeneye is pretty good imho. it's goldeneye i don't really care about how it runs as long as it's fun to play and it is. no online is dogshit and im not paying for the expansion pack just to play it on switch so gently caress it i guess

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
High on Life and Hi Fi Rush are the Goofus and Gallant of game pass

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/wiredusagi/status/1618686112767295490?t=fudVq1SxLzzo5WqzCqghsw&s=19

Incredible W on the xbawks

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tango is my fav bethesda studio somehow despite their best efforts

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I haven’t played Ghost Wire yet but I’ve enjoyed every game Tango has put out. Currently the best Microsoft developer somehow

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Ghostwire Tokyo was a fun, weird game. It’s the most Dreamcast game I’ve played since the original Xbox.

Tho I did play it on PS5

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
lmao @ the James Bond game, it looks like poo poo!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Omon Ra posted:

what do you mean? GoldenEye is using next-gen graphics.

Ronin1138
Jan 16, 2019

by Hand Knit

Omon Ra posted:

Looks like an n64 game what the hell is Microsoft and Rare smoking?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just beat the first boss of Hifi Rush and I think I've seen enough. The game is stressing me out so I had to uninstall it.

Visually stunning though but it's too fast-paced and hectic for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1619084856457297920

Easy to take the blame for something when other people have to suffer the consequences for it lol