Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I left infernal/special mobs in my Gtnh run, but I cheated in an op crossbow/bolts with self repair.

In other news, I've been just trundling along and got babies first tree farm with Steve's Carts 2,i don't remember it being so finicky to insert and remove items, but I figured it out after much "wtfing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
It doesn't take that long to get an OP crossbow. Problem is, Vengeance is a possible mod for infernal, which means you smash your own HP when you kill a mob, along with a bunch of other annoying poo poo I've been turning off. Some of the Special Mobs are particularly annoying as well.

Here's my modifications:

quote:

infernal mobs(blastoff gravity ghastly storm vengeance),
special mobs(conflag blaze, witch (cave)spiders, dirt gravel drowning creepers, unholy ghast, fishing vampire pigmen, fishing silverfish, spitfire skeleton)
gregtech arrows
warp theory (fake explosion, fake/friendly creeper, fake gregtech sounds, fake enderman, jump boost, wind, ender pearl, blaze fireball) ...or just turn them all off via B:addWarpEffects=false
angermod(turn kamikaze off)

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i've never bothered disabling the mob mods. they're not much of a problem once you set up a base + bed if you're careful. and yeah getting a crossbow isn't *that* far into a playthrough.

btw they patched the vengeance thing so you take way less damage from it. it's not killed me since.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Damage reflect effects are never fun in anything and especially in things as already sketch as Minecraft combat. People need to fuckin' stop creating them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I've been trying for about an hour to get oracle to send me a verification email. Is this normal? Its my weekend and I want to try out Astral Create with my brother, I'm willing to go "gently caress it" and throw like thirty bucks at a hosting website.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Leal posted:

I've been trying for about an hour to get oracle to send me a verification email. Is this normal? Its my weekend and I want to try out Astral Create with my brother, I'm willing to go "gently caress it" and throw like thirty bucks at a hosting website.

When I set one up a few days ago I got the email within a few minutes of signing up so there's one data point for "not normal".

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I know it took a while for mine to show up, I just have literally never been able to use it because every time I try, San Jose AD-1 (the only AD for San Jose) is always out of capacity for the free-tier servers. And you can't change region once the account is made.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I've been trying at random points each day since my last post with no luck getting capacity on the region I set. Could try making a new account, though.

Edit: uh I guess I can't make a new account because the credit card verification isn't working.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 27, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Black Pants posted:

Yeah I've been trying at random points each day since my last post with no luck getting capacity on the region I set. Could try making a new account, though.

Edit: uh I guess I can't make a new account because the credit card verification isn't working.

I couldn't get it to send me a verification email, my brother got past that point but the credit card verification stopped working. I ended up throwing some money at ScalaCube, because it is the only server host that has Astral Create as a modpack, none of the others did and looking up info on how to upload the server pack was so tedious and confusing.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's actually not that complicated, though it can.. take a while. You get an installation of the forge server, which a host will most likely be able to set up for you in one click, and then you just drag-and-drop the pack's poo poo into the server via an FTP client like FileZilla. The annoying part is that transferring stuff via ftp can be as slow as molasses for some reason.

And yeah I'm considering just getting back on Shockbyte again I guess.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Found this floating island that is right above a big ol' trader outpost tower with villagers of all kind. Skyslimes periodically fall off this island and cause chaos.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Also took a look at the oracle solution, and if nothing else it's letting me tinker with something I never had before.

Cloud stuff is weird. There's a way to make this functionality similar to a traditional host though, I imagine.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Leal posted:

Found this floating island that is right above a big ol' trader outpost tower with villagers of all kind. Skyslimes periodically fall off this island and cause chaos.

That is a tinkers construct floating slime island. Good place to get slime trees and slime blocks and a few other slime things.
I haven't played modded minecraft for so long and I instantly knew what that was. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Really digging All The Mods 8. Started next to a giant lighthouse, so we built our base there. Made myself a little tavern to use as a house and magic workspace. Probably gonna add BeerCraft and get that going for some novelty.

Actually, I'm trying to figure out the best way to transfer levels around, the XP tap is super slow for high-level enchanting. Neverming, the UtiliX Experience Crystal is great and can have XP pumped directly into it.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 30, 2023

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

:toot: I built a new thing in GTNH:

This is the Space Elevator. Yes, the thing on the cable is animated; it goes up and down. It allows me to exploit nearby planets and asteroids for goodies.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

:toot: I built a new thing in GTNH:

This is the Space Elevator. Yes, the thing on the cable is animated; it goes up and down. It allows me to exploit nearby planets and asteroids for goodies.

Wow. Was that added in a recent patch?
On a side note, is there some way to automatically place blocks for mega-multiblocks like that?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Wow. Was that added in a recent patch?
On a side note, is there some way to automatically place blocks for mega-multiblocks like that?

Yes to both. The Space Elevator is a new multiblock, and you need a dev version from their discord to have it.
The multiblock hologram projector can autobuild most multiblocks by shift right clicking the controller. It pulls material from your inventory, backpacks, and even your ME system if you have a wireless terminal in your inventory. Not all multis support it, but thankfully the space elevator does. Sadly it's kinda stupid at placing hatches or buses intelligently, so I usually place those myself, then use the projector to finish the job.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I ran some chunk generation which took many hours. After which, I was thinking about how small of an area I generated (7500 blocks from spawn), when I realized something was off with my calculation.

code:
sqrt(((400,000 chunks)*16^2) / pi ) = ~7,500 block radius
I rechecked the formula and realized I was only squaring the 16 blocks, and not the 400,000 chunks.

code:
sqrt(((400,000 chunks*16)^2) / pi ) = ~3.6 million block radius
JESUS! I think the farthest anyone will go in our group of friends is about 10,000 blocks, so this was way overkill. Luckily the server has unlimited space, and I am only using 8GB. But still, I spent probably 20+ hours generating chunks for the overworld.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Our AllTheMods server is coming along nicely. Need to sort out the area in the middle of our buildings, but I have some ideas for that.

And the inside of the tavern. Pretty pleased with the overall vibe of it.

Actually, having a bit of Botany Pots weirdness. There's two recipes for the Twilight Forest trees, one that doesn't generate saplings and one that does. Is there a way to tell which is the one that'll be handled? It looks like the one without, but I don't see any way to use the other one.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 1, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

How the gently caress do you even get enough ore to get into MV in GT:NH? Ore generation is loving agony in this pack and it's starting to piss me off. I even have the ore finder telling me I'm in a Stibnite vein in the Nether and I'm in the process of emptying out the whole area with no actual Stibnite ore in sight.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

RocketMermaid posted:

How the gently caress do you even get enough ore to get into MV in GT:NH? Ore generation is loving agony in this pack and it's starting to piss me off. I even have the ore finder telling me I'm in a Stibnite vein in the Nether and I'm in the process of emptying out the whole area with no actual Stibnite ore in sight.

the nether sucks without flying, because ores can also be above you

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are you getting tetrahedrite etc and just not finding any stibnite, or are you seeing no ore at all?

if it's the former, well, centrifuge the tetrahedrite dust to get some antimony. if the latter, yeah, you need to be at the z-levels where it spawns. i think you can check that by looking at the recipe for the ore, but from a casual google the default levels are y80 - y120

i didn't have any problems with a tinkers hammer and just stripmining, but other posters itt swear by the automatic miners and i trust their advice

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Strip mining in GTNH is kind of cathartic with the massive veins. Autominers are also effective but not the biggest radius so early.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i didn't have any problems with a tinkers hammer and just stripmining, but other posters itt swear by the automatic miners and i trust their advice

I don't bother with the auto miners until HV, personally. HV miners when they gain enough radius to actually cover an entire vein. Power is usually trivial by HV due to diesel/cbd or benzene. And, most importantly, you unlock compressed chests, which can easily hold multiple veins of output and can be picked up with inventory intact.

Rynoto posted:

Strip mining in GTNH is kind of cathartic with the massive veins. Autominers are also effective but not the biggest radius so early.

Yeah, in my current map there were a lot of zen moments before HV where I'd just take my TiCon hammer out to a vein and devour all 9 layers while I waited for steam to bank or for kanthal to cool or whatever. The fact that they're so predictable in shape means you can confidently strip down the entire vein and know you haven't missed anything. Mining has a start and end point and it rules. I dunno if I could play a pack with standard Minecraft ore gen any more.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
A few months ago I mentioned that some college students had gotten really into blightfall and were making a community edition type update- it just went live in the technic launcher as 3.0.0-CE. Here's the changelogs:

quote:

- Configuration Changes

Basalz spawning has been disabled
Yellorite Ore will spawn in the Bedrock Dimension
Ore Dictionary entries were modified to adjust the balancing of the Unifier, as it was easily exploitable
Blood Magic's Mark of the Fallen Tower meteors have been reconfigured to spawn different ores
The lignite --> coal recipe has been changed to only require eight lignite instead of nine to preserve fuel efficiency
New infusion recipe for a Giant Tainticle Spawn Egg to allow for renewable Primordial Pearls, as well as guaranteed 100% Xenobiologist completion
You can now use Natura sticks for smeltery fuel or torches, and can create charcoal from Natura logs
An induction smelter recipe to "reverse" angmallen creation has been added
An infusion recipe for the Ember Heart has been added to allow for Nethermind creation
An alchemic chemistry set recipe for stone swords has been added to assist in Nethermind rune creation
There is now a shapeless crafting recipe to make plaintext book and quill versions of lore books for accessibility
You can now put ketchup on a drying rack to create a slimeball
Conversion between the two sulfer types is possible via a shapeless crafting recipe

- Bugfixes

Amaranth planks no longer sawmill into eucalyptus planks
Natura trapdoors, fences, etc. are all craftable

Patched several duplication glitches, including the bag of holding dupe, teleposer dupe, satchel dupe, oven dupe, servo dupe

Fixed vanilla mob spawning
Mooshrooms should now spawn on the Mushroom Island
Hostile mobs will no longer spawn on the Mushroom Island
Ghasts, blazes, etc. should now spawn in Hell biomes in the volcano
Pechs, wisps, and other modded mobs should now spawn in their respective biomes

The Purity Focus no longer wastes vis in the Obsidian Tower and Silverwood Grove
Flesh blocks are no longer recognized as taint in some instances
You can no longer teleport the Dawn Machine inside of you using a Dawn Offering
Missing language entries have been added
Wood is now properly registered in your materials book
Dawn Machine now places the correct sapling types in each biomes
Fixed a crash when having a corrupted scanner.dat file

Patched an exploit allowing players to reach the Nether

Awakened Ichorium Pickaxe no longer ignores metadata when breaking in square/line mode
Several crashes with infused seeds have been resolved
Several loot table bugs with infused seeds have been resolved
Dislocation Focus crash has been resolved

Several items with broken aspect amounts have been fixed

Several typos across localization entries have been fixed

- Gameplay/Mechanical Changes

Blood Magic:
- The questline has been reworked
- Tier 6 progression has been changed to have Thaumcraft integration, check the Apocryphia tab.
- Several new meteors for the Mark of the Fallen Tower, including Mithril Block, Coal Block, and Cobalt Block
- A "bound ring", created from putting an Angel Ring through the Ritual of Binding, has been added and can be used as a Bound Armor augment
- The Obsidian Tower has been fully fleshed out

Black Market
- Questline has been expanded to include more ores and alloys and have more diverse rewards

Dawn Machine:
- The Dawn Machine has been completely reworked, as we felt is was underpowered for the cost and hype. It will now clean an entire chunk at a time, instead of a single block. If fully powered with essentia, the effect will spiral out to clean the entire map without the need to relocate the Dawn Machine.
- Base radius for Dawn Machine without essentia has been upped to 9x9 chunks from 8x8
- Botania, Blood Magic integration as alternative ways to halve essentia costs
- Dawn Offering will no longer move Thermal Expansion energy cells, instead you can use the Dawn Charger to power it wirelessly if you wish.

Misc:
- Modified the dark oak sapling quest reward to give all four saplings required, instead of just one
- New "Completionist" quest that will lock you out of the "cheat" and Undie quests to allow for legitimate 100% Instructor completion
- Hopseed, sakura saplings added to the sapling bag loot table
- Cinderpearls and cacti will be planted in the Desert when the Dawn Machine is supplied with Arbor
- Removed Herobrine

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

30.5 Days posted:

A few months ago I mentioned that some college students had gotten really into blightfall and were making a community edition type update- it just went live in the technic launcher as 3.0.0-CE. Here's the changelogs:

Are you involved with that at all? If so, tell them to look into integrating the GTNH version of NEI for 1.7.10. It's legitimately better than 1.12 JEI at this point.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I will pass along that message- "involved" is too strong of a word, but I did end up pushing all the solder buttons to get it out since it turned out my access was never revoked and there aren't any full time employees at technic anymore.

EDIT:

Midnight posted:

that's literally the version in it lmao

Here's the full mod list update:

quote:

Forge Mod Loader 10.13.2.1291 --> 10.13.4.1614
AppleCore 1.1.0 --> 3.1.1
Applied Energistics 2 rv2-stable-1 --> rv3-beta6
Automagy 0.24.1 --> 0.28.2
BiblioCraft v1.10.3 --> v1.11.7
BigReactors 0.4.1A2 --> 0.4.3A
BlightBuster (reqcredit) 1.2.19 --> 2.0.5
blightcore 1.2.0 --> 1.3.0
Blood Magic 1.3.0a-1 --> 1.3.4-blight
Botania r1.6-191 --> r1.7-208
ChickenChunks 1.3.4.16 --> 1.3.4.19
CodeChickenCore 1.0.4.29 --> 1.0.7.48
CodeChickenLib 1.13.127 --> 1.1.3.141
CoFHCore 3.0.2-268 --> 1.0.7.48
Cooking for Blockheads 1.0.92 --> 1.9.140
EnderStorage 1.4.5.24 --> 1.4.7.37
ExtraTiC 1.4.5 --> 1.4.6
ExtraUtilities 2 1.2.5 --> 1.2.12
Forbidden Magic 0.562 --> 0.575
Forge Multipart 1.1.1.321 --> 1.2.0.345
IguanaTinkerTweaks 2.1.4 --> 2.1.6
JABBA 1.1.4 --> 1.2.2
Metallurgy 4.0.5.75 --> 4.0.9.148
MetallurgyCore 4.0.4.18 --> 4.0.5.30
MineFactoryReloaded 2.8.0-104 --> 2.8.1-174
MineTweaker3 3.0.9C --> 3.0.10B
MobiusCore 1.2.3 --> 1.2.5
ModTweaker2 0.7.5 --> 0.9.6
NEIAddons 1.12.2.9 --> 1.12.14.40
Netherless 0.9.0 --> 1.0.0
NetherOres 2.3.0RC4-4 --> 2.3.1-22
NotEnoughItems 1.0.4.83 --> 2.1.5-GTNH
Pam's HarvestCraft 1.7.10H --> 1.7.10Lb
Redstone Arsenal 1.1.0-80 --> 1.1.2-92
SpiceOfLife 1.2.4 --> 1.3.11
StorageDrawers 1.5.3 --> 1.10.9
TCNodeTracker 1.1.0 --> 1.1.2
Tinkers Construct 1.8.3-RFNerf --> 1.8.8
Terrain Control 2.7.0-colored-lockhack --> 2.7.0-colored-lockhack-spawnfix
Thaumcraft NEI Plugin 1.7 --> 1.7a
Thaumic Energistics --> 0.8.10.10 --> 1.1.3.0
Thaumic Tinkerer 2.5-1.7.10-471 --> 2.5-1.7.10-blight
ThermalDynamics 1.0.0RC7-98 --> 1.2.1-172
ThermalExpansion 4.0.1-182 --> 4.1.5-248
ThermalFoundation 1.0.0-81 --> 1.2.6-118
TooMuchLoot 3.0.1.B22 --> 4.0.1.B0
UBCOres 0.1.2.0 --> 0.2.9.4
Underground Biomes Constructs 1.7.2-test41 --> 1.7.10-0.8-beta49
VoxelMap 1.5.13 --> 1.7.0b
Waila 1.5.9 --> 1.5.10
WailaHarvestability 1.1.0 --> 1.1.6

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 2, 2023

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

30.5 Days posted:

there aren't any full time employees at technic anymore.

RIP Technic

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

HOLY MOLY.

Speaking of Technic, it's pretty neat that ATLauncher has Technic support. It's a good launcher these days.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Are you involved with that at all? If so, tell them to look into integrating the GTNH version of NEI for 1.7.10. It's legitimately better than 1.12 JEI at this point.

It's already there.

Also hm, Botania update concerns me. Intended progression always seemed to me to use the few passive flowers you find until you get enough mana to make other stuff, but as far as I know the version in Blightfall is the latest version to have passives that don't decay.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 5, 2023

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Black Pants posted:

Also hm, Botania update concerns me. Intended progression always seemed to me to use the few passive flowers you find until you get enough mana to make other stuff, but as far as I know the version in Blightfall is the latest version to have passives that don't decay.

The botania version includes passive wither, but it has been deactivated in the configs

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey everyone, back for my bi-annual Progress promotion!

Progress is back, and I've been more ambitious than ever. If you've never played on it, Progress is a modpack/server I've been running for.... definitely more than a decade now, changing a bit with every single iteration. We're just starting a brand new server - this pack is built around Create, has a full questline and tutorialization for all the complex mods, shaders out of the box and gorgeous worldgen. It's not a hardcore pack like many of you are probably used to but it has customized progression and a fun questline to follow. A whole bunch of super chill goons have been playing on this server for years and years and we'd love for more to join us :)

There is no whitelist, so you can simply download and jump in.

PGS thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023381

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

The botania version includes passive wither, but it has been deactivated in the configs

Ah! I didn't think it could be disabled. Vazkii is funny about that. But, cool.

I wonder if moving a Dawn Machine with an AE2 system attached will still cause Bad Things...

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 6, 2023

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Ah! I didn't think it could be disabled. Vazkii is funny about that. But, cool.

I wonder if moving a Dawn Machine with an AE2 system attached will still cause Bad Things...

For those that want to play blightfall 3.0, I have rented a server. You can find it over on private games server subforums.: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016299

The moderator hasn't gotten around to changing the thread title yet.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'd try it, but last time I made the mistake of logging in the day after it started and the world was already cleaned up.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Looking at the logs I'm the only one to have ever logged onto my server, and at this point I just made a flint pickaxe head then logged out. I can still just reinstall the world to make you happy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Nah I'll just see where it is when I'm at a spot for playing with it. Given that might have been a bit, it may have just been better to reset whenever I do actually go to it because it might have gotten cleaned out by then (at a more leisurely pace hahaha).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

restarted gregtech new horizons after a several year hiatus due to giving in to the Urge, and have been unable to get JEI recipe search to work for a while

it turns out that this is because i am a moron, and was searching in the right-hand textbox (which seems to control stack size of cheated-in items) rather than the centre textbox

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the right-hand textbox (which seems to control stack size of cheated-in items) rather than the centre textbox

More critically, it controls the size of ghost item stacks. If you click, hold, and drag any item in NEI or your bookmarks, it'll create a ghost stack that you can use to configure things like stocking input buses, AE2 autocrafting patterns, conduits, and so on. I used this feature to bookmark every single sifting recipe and configure a storage bus on a multiblock sifter without actually having the items in question.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

More critically, it controls the size of ghost item stacks. If you click, hold, and drag any item in NEI or your bookmarks, it'll create a ghost stack that you can use to configure things like stocking input buses, AE2 autocrafting patterns, conduits, and so on. I used this feature to bookmark every single sifting recipe and configure a storage bus on a multiblock sifter without actually having the items in question.

That is actually super cool and useful to know! I knew about the ghost stacks but not that you could use it for that kind of functionality!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What the gently caress!

Blightfall 3.0 spoilers:
The Eerie island tower is now some sort of skeleton castle.