Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pizza Tower is loving perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Last time I checked I couldn't find a good solution. Is there a way to enable the Steam overlay/Input for Game Pass games? (I know you can sort of use Steam Input by making custom desktop configs)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hi-Fi Rush is pretty cool.

The writing is fairly cringey but I do like how the cutscenes are copying the Baby Driver schtick.
The combat feels pretty good as well, clearly aping Platinum's style but the fact that they forgot to implement dodge offset loving blows.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The writing for Hi-Fi Rush is genuinely great. Snappy dialogue, some really funny sight gags, even all the tongue-in-cheek datapoints are fun to read. I haven't laughed this hard playing a video game in quite some time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

also the loading screen is a robot cat farting music

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The writing for Hi-Fi Rush is genuinely great. Snappy dialogue, some really funny sight gags, even all the tongue-in-cheek datapoints are fun to read. I haven't laughed this hard playing a video game in quite some time.

I've only done one mission so far but the only joke that somewhat landed for me so far was the tutorial bot being a creep, for a moment it gave me a chuckle, but of course the game instantly ruined the joke by having the main character go "golly gee was that creepy!" Everything else is just making me roll my eyes.
At least the support character is attempting to dunk on the protagonist for being an insufferable moron, even though her dunks are all incredibly limp.

EDIT: The "overconfident moron that never gets punished for his overconfidence because of sheer luck" is the most insufferable protagonist archetype. I'd rather have a non-charatcer instead.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 27, 2023

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I uh, certainly never expected a Xenogears reference to be in Hi-Fi Rush.

https://twitter.com/DucklinQuackin/status/1618749993841725440

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I watched one of those 'first 20 minutes' videos of Hifi Rush and I thought that the writing perfectly captures the feeling of a Saturday morning cartoon. Which is fine if it's not your bag but seeing goons who are probably in their... 30/40s? Get all worked up about how it doesn't land for them is sad and hilarious.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I watched one of those 'first 20 minutes' videos of Hifi Rush and I thought that the writing perfectly captures the feeling of a Saturday morning cartoon. Which is fine if it's not your bag but seeing goons who are probably in their... 30/40s? Get all worked up about how it doesn't land for them is sad and hilarious.
Does anyone younger than 30s/40s know what a saturday morning cartoon is?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

oh, this made me much sadder

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

No Wave posted:

took some psychic damage with this one

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
"After these messages...

...you'll be deeead soon!"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Resistance Mode recommended for a first playthrough of Watch Dogs Legion?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

No Wave posted:

drat

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Resistance Mode recommended for a first playthrough of Watch Dogs Legion?

It does solve a couple of the issues with the gameplay. Not enough but it's a marginal improvement over the base game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I mean...yeah? It's exactly like a saturday morning cartoon, which is why I assumed that it was expected that a 30-something wouldn't enjoy, since it's written for idiot children.
I didn't even say anything besides "not very good" until someone came in claiming that actually it's great, so I'm not sure where you're getting the "worked up" part from.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I mean...yeah? It's exactly like a saturday morning cartoon, which is why I assumed that it was expected that a 30-something wouldn't enjoy, since it's written for idiot children.
I didn't even say anything besides "not very good" until someone came in claiming that actually it's great, so I'm not sure where you're getting the "worked up" part from.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

I mean, different mediums but same idea. Acting like Saturday morning cartoons are cringe for idiot babies and adults can't enjoy them is way more cringe than just enjoying the ride.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

― C.S. Lewis

I mean, different mediums but same idea. Acting like Saturday morning cartoons are cringe for idiot babies and adults can't enjoy them is way more cringe than just enjoying the ride.

Children are stupid. Not in a derogatory way, they just don't have any experience and don't know any better. That's why children's media is written in such a way as to have otherwise obvious things be spelled out and repeated in a non-subtle way, to maybe it more easily understood by a child.

I really don't know why it is so controversial to say that I don't enjoy that style of writing.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jack Trades posted:

It does solve a couple of the issues with the gameplay. Not enough but it's a marginal improvement over the base game.

Neato. I got it for like 85% off so I know what I'm getting into to a certain degree, but I'd like to have a good a time as possible getting to the cool stuff in the game a friend has told me about.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I merely said the thing you enjoyed was for idiot children, how could anyone be upset at such a logical statement?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

― C.S. Lewis

sounds like he was butt-chugging hardcore copium to me op

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Children are stupid. Not in a derogatory way, they just don't have any experience and don't know any better. That's why children's media is written in such a way as to have otherwise obvious things be spelled out and repeated in a non-subtle way, to maybe it more easily understood by a child.

I really don't know why it is so controversial to say that I don't enjoy that style of writing.
Agreed, children are stupid. That's why they enjoy children's media like video games rather than enjoying more mature forms of leisure.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

One of the better RPGMaker-style horror games. I think it's worth the current price.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Pigbuster posted:

Pizza Tower is loving perfect.

That is the Frenchest looking thing I've ever seen.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Agreed, children are stupid. That's why they enjoy children's media like video games rather than enjoying more mature forms of leisure.

Like whiskey and cheating on your spouse

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I'm so relieved that they didn't screw up the Dead Space remake.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

EricFate posted:

I'm so relieved that they didn't screw up the Dead Space remake.

There's still time to screw up the PC version, which isn't released yet (I think)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ymgve posted:

There's still time to screw up the PC version, which isn't released yet (I think)

Doubt there's too much they can do in an hour

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad other people are excited about it but I never got the hype for a Dead Space remake. When the first one came out I remember the reaction was a fairly large "yeah it's not bad I guess" and then when I played it I was pretty underwhelmed. To me it's a very average third person corridor shooter with really cliche horror mechanics and jump scares. I'm really surprised at the hype the remake has got.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I never did play Dead Space but I specifically remember it being a huge hit and everyone wouldn't stop talking about how great it was.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The later parts aren’t that great, but it starts off quite strong imo.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

kazil posted:

Doubt there's too much they can do in an hour

I mean, it's possible it's got bad performance or is crash happy and PC reviewers have been pinky promised it will be patched at launch. Just remember: No preorders!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ymgve posted:

I mean, it's possible it's got bad performance or is crash happy and PC reviewers have been pinky promised it will be patched at launch. Just remember: No preorders!

Apparently it doesn't run on the deck (according to SkillUp). Seems fairly demanding, but not unreasonably.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mystes posted:

I didn’t know fun until I found Zima as a 13 year old…I have a Steam account and play video games as well!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Aphex- posted:

I'm glad other people are excited about it but I never got the hype for a Dead Space remake. When the first one came out I remember the reaction was a fairly large "yeah it's not bad I guess" and then when I played it I was pretty underwhelmed. To me it's a very average third person corridor shooter with really cliche horror mechanics and jump scares. I'm really surprised at the hype the remake has got.

resident evil 4 was the vanguard of behind-the-back action horror but dead space took RE4’s “shooting gallery” style of combat and adapted it into the free-movement type everyone uses today. it’s also one of the biggest examples of space horror in the genre

I also thought it was merely decent at the time but it had the clout to justify a remake, especially after EA broke the original series in their usual way

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm not complaining because it sounds like they knocked it out of the park, but I wonder why they made it. It's not really the type of game EA makes much of anymore, and nothing about DS1 was screaming for a remake.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Because remakes sell better than new titles and are much easier to make. Its 2023 everyone is always looking for things to remake.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Game publishers have recently discovered what the music industry has already known for years: New properties are huge financial risks and you can just re-release your back catalogue over and over on the cheap.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

I'm not complaining because it sounds like they knocked it out of the park, but I wonder why they made it. It's not really the type of game EA makes much of anymore, and nothing about DS1 was screaming for a remake.

Because the Resident Evil 2 remake was super successful and EA thought "we have a horror franchise, let's try that too!".

Thankfully, it sounds like they took it seriously!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Game publishers have recently discovered what the music industry has already known for years: New properties are huge financial risks and you can just re-release your back catalogue over and over on the cheap.
Its even more true for games. Games arent just IP theyre big software projects and remakes can be extremely resistant to development hell because they're so easy to plan. There are exceptions like FF7R which are basically new games but for stuff like RE remakes you have so much safety starting them, all the unknown unknowns are gone.