Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

BonHair posted:

How does getting home after a night on the town even work in America? Normally, you get the bus/train after buying some lovely fast food, but America only has cars and apparently you can't even buy a burger without a car?

I was at a concert just out of LA last weekend and it took me around 6.5 hours to get back by bus. Thought for a sec if it would be better if I had one of those rideshare things but on the bus stop I met a lady who ordered two taxis and an Uber and nobody came lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ruffian Price posted:

I was at a concert just out of LA last weekend and it took me around 6.5 hours to get back by bus. Thought for a sec if it would be better if I had one of those rideshare things but on the bus stop I met a lady who ordered two taxis and an Uber and nobody came lol

On the topic of LA the subway system shuts down from anywhere between midnight and 1 until 5 or 6 am depending on the line and station.
It's so ridiculous. I lived and worked within 1-2 miles of big hub endpoints about a decade ago. It would have been perfect in a competently planned and managed city, but there were huge stretches of busy city street with literally 0 sidewalk between the station and where I worked.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Coolness Averted posted:

It would have been perfect in a competently planned and managed city,

Do we have those in this country

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Just get rid of single use plastics outside of very occasional and specific circumstances and stop making people feel guilty about their individual behaviors, goddamn

The guilt is load bearing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BonHair posted:

How does getting home after a night on the town even work in America? Normally, you get the bus/train after buying some lovely fast food, but America only has cars and apparently you can't even buy a burger without a car?

I mean, aside from drunk driving.

Visit family in the States often, and I've been driven home drunk by an NYPD cop ( didn't know how much he'd been drinking til afterwards cause it didn't cross my Euro mind that someone would take that kind of risk). It was wild, but he gave me his spare cop hat which was something

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Visit family in the States often, and I've been driven home drunk by an NYPD cop ( didn't know how much he'd been drinking til afterwards cause it didn't cross my Euro mind that someone would take that kind of risk). It was wild, but he gave me his spare cop hat which was something

The NYPD (at least pre-9/11) seems to have had a lot of Fun Party Cops. I had a retired one share his real good weed with me at a rocket launch once and tell me the hot tips the cops would use to be able to do cocaine all the time but still pass the random drug checks. Nice dude, shame about the cop thing but at least he'd been retired since 9/11 hosed up his health a bunch (and gave him some horrifying PTSD stories he shared once we were sufficiently high).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

But yeah drunk driving is so... under-appreciated as a risk that a hell of a lot of people will drink all they want, then "sober up" for an hour or two and drive home, except you're definitely not getting that much booze out of your system that fast and your ability to evaluate whether or not you're actually sober has been compromised so hey.

Oh also a hell of a lot of people drive high as balls on weed because obviously weed doesn't impair your driving ability and actually makes you better at driving in fact.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

hot tips the cops would use to be able to do cocaine all the time but still pass the random drug checks.

So, is the answer "only do coke when you know you won't be piss-tested for 2+ days", or "always have a number for a bag of clean piss", because I don't think NY's Finest are in the lab cooking up some catalytic antibodies or anything.

And idk, maybe tolerable NY cops exist, but the ones I've met have been obnoxious racist loudmouths.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Was out for a walk at lunch yesterday and, welp, I guess Amazon are in the haircut business now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Every single facet of every single life.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

BonHair posted:

I mean, aside from drunk driving.

Just move to New York or one of the like 4 places in America with a functioning mass transit system that doesn’t shut down at 11:00, and enjoy paying $3,000 a month rent for a studio apartment.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81DYZh6KaQ

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
no one wants to slave anymore

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

So, is the answer "only do coke when you know you won't be piss-tested for 2+ days", or "always have a number for a bag of clean piss", because I don't think NY's Finest are in the lab cooking up some catalytic antibodies or anything.

And idk, maybe tolerable NY cops exist, but the ones I've met have been obnoxious racist loudmouths.

Apparently the piss test they used at the time wasn't very sensitive so the secret was do a specific amount of coke right as you went on shift and drink tons of coffee and it wouldn't be detectable by the end of your shift when they did the random tests

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I love how obvious it is this person's never been unemployed cuz they think unemployment is just magic money you automatically get for not having a job

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also funny how you never see the opposite "if their primary motivation is extracting the value from my labor, why would I work for them in the first place??", weird!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The Nastier Nate posted:

Just move to New York or one of the like 4 places in America with a functioning mass transit system that doesn’t shut down at 11:00, and enjoy paying $3,000 a month rent for a studio apartment.

What are the other four

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are the other four

not san francisco, where you get massively reduced route running every half hour maybe if the stars align

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oneiros posted:

not san francisco, where you get massively reduced route running every half hour maybe if the stars align

Cuz they built a lot of sections out as single-track so they have to do literally all the maintenance jobs between the hours of like 1 AM and 6 AM since the line needs to be totally shut down and can't be routed around it. There's a neat video of them working incredibly fast to completely rip up and replace a section of track before the trains needed to start again I wish I could find.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

If the job doesn't have the salary range posted, it's because they know they're underpaying, hth

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are the other four

Not Philly cause the trains stop at midnight. I have many a memories of taking a drunken $40 cab ride home at 2 AM in my 20s.

I always assumed BART was pretty good but I’ve never been there.

Chicago…maybe?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Nastier Nate posted:

Not Philly cause the trains stop at midnight. I have many a memories of taking a drunken $40 cab ride home at 2 AM in my 20s.

Chicago…maybe?

BART stops at midnight too.

From what I read, most systems shut down overnight because that's the only way they can perform maintenance. New York can stay open because their system has so many redundancies and express tracks that it's possible to route around track work most of the time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I can chime in with "not Boston", but I don't know where they're actually supposed to be.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Apparently the piss test they used at the time wasn't very sensitive so the secret was do a specific amount of coke right as you went on shift and drink tons of coffee and it wouldn't be detectable by the end of your shift when they did the random tests

Ah yes, the "Bad Lieutenant Method"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Business Gorillas posted:

If the job doesn't have the salary range posted, it's because they know they're underpaying, hth

Ehhh kinda. A lot of fields, and a lot of countries, it's just not standard to ever list salaries. It's definitely a positive sign if they do list it though.

Of course, in the Marxian sense, every job is underpaid to a greater or lesser extent.

In my field I will usually be approached by recruiters with a salary -less job spec. If they can't provide a representative salary range then I simply tell them I'm not interested, but it can go either way

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Oh also a hell of a lot of people drive high as balls on weed because obviously weed doesn't impair your driving ability and actually makes you better at driving in fact.

correct.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Time to reenact the Big Shell Incident

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I almost added "(Cue every single person in this thread replying with 'yes, unironically')" at the bottom of that post but then I decided I should just let it happen naturally.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ah yes, the "Bad Lieutenant Method"

That is what I was thinking of when he told me yeah lmao

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it's funny because nina is a goldman sachs puppet who's friends with a person who denied hate crimes can ever happen and all that matters to the slavering idiots of team blue is that she once said something mean about a democrat therefore her right of center views are too left for normal democrats

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Chicago…maybe?
BART is a gently caress. Old, dirty, and insanely expensive

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zvahl posted:

it's funny because nina is a goldman sachs puppet who's friends with a person who denied hate crimes can ever happen and all that matters to the slavering idiots of team blue is that she once said something mean about a democrat therefore her right of center views are too left for normal democrats

I don't think any of the people in those screenshots would self-describe as democrats

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

no wonder they just kill people at the slightest provocation

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are the other four

Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Manhattan at a guess.

Also thanks for telling me once again that America is a gently caress. The idea that your best bet is having a sober friend to drive you home makes me claustrophobic, you can't just leave when you want.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just simply dont go out at night because all the drivers are drunk. its easy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Real hurthling! posted:

i just simply dont go out

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
if you havent driven high and drunk you havent really lived

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

also a significantly higher chance that you haven’t died