Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Interesting claim but still anecdotal.

I suspect baffled maps to pleasantly surprised.

I'm 25 and all my friends love The Cure and Elliott Smith. If you're into rock music at all in my age group you probably know the most famous song by The Cure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Goth rock/ethereal is having a major resurgence right now, too.

Cocteau Twins has their entire catalogue re-pressed.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

landgrabber posted:

i played boys don't cry in a guitar store just now and an older couple, baffled, asked me if i was playing the cure. i said yes and they said "that's good you should keep doing that"

maybe i look younger than 21 or look more like an androgynous lesbian than emo kid or something but it seemed odd to them that someone would know one of the biggest cure songs and play it

(watch it turn out that they post here)

I think some old people can't understand that people listen to music outside of their own generation. I have a friend who was crazy about The Clash and when an old punk asked him to name his favourite song and he named an album track from Combat Rock the guy got mad and said "I don't believe you."

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

landgrabber posted:

i played boys don't cry in a guitar store just now and an older couple, baffled, asked me if i was playing the cure. i said yes and they said "that's good you should keep doing that"

maybe i look younger than 21 or look more like an androgynous lesbian than emo kid or something but it seemed odd to them that someone would know one of the biggest cure songs and play it

They probably don’t know any 21 year olds.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I like these a lot and have a few sets. YMMV

https://graphtech.com/collections/string-saver-saddles-electric

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

funny enough i probably would piss them off with my take that i only really enjoy the poppy cure songs

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I just got a strymon reverberator V1 https://reverb.com/p/strymon-blue-sky-reverberator-v1 in the mail but it didn’t come with a power supply. I bought this power supply off of Amazon Sovvid Guitar Pedal Power Supply - DC 9V Power Supply for Guitar Pedals 1A (1000mA) with Cable Negative 5 Way Daisy Chain Cord Tip for Guitar Effect Pedals and More Devices 5 Free Rubber Caps https://a.co/d/4EN30yQ am I safe to use it?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

landgrabber posted:

Maybe it wasn't so much that you, a young person, knew about the Cure, but more you were trying out guitars in a store by playing the Cure.

I can't imagine many people would associate 'the Cure' with 'trying out guitars in a store'.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

honestly i feel a little bit bitter about this whole guitar.

i spent money i didn't have and barely paid it off in time, strained to do it... but it was what, six months into having it, that i had real bad fret buzz on the 4th fret? i was able to get it to a point where it wasn't so bad, but it still drove me from playing on that B string in that area. had similar issues with the high E string.

it just feels so stupid that this instrument has gotten logistically harder to play as i've gotten better at it. now i have to see about changing out saddles and bridge screws because one stripped -- i adjusted it twice with the wrench the guitar came with.

it's just all so demotivating.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Elissimpark posted:

Maybe it wasn't so much that you, a young person, knew about the Cure, but more you were trying out guitars in a store by playing the Cure.

I can't imagine many people would associate 'the Cure' with 'trying out guitars in a store'.

this is true actually, people playing guitar in guitar stores are often not pre-occupied with "good songs"

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

landgrabber posted:

is it worth just replacing the MIM bridge with a nicer one?

it's not all that necessary but the american bridges are definitely made out of higher quality metal and springs

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I just got a strymon reverberator V1 https://reverb.com/p/strymon-blue-sky-reverberator-v1 in the mail but it didn’t come with a power supply. I bought this power supply off of Amazon Sovvid Guitar Pedal Power Supply - DC 9V Power Supply for Guitar Pedals 1A (1000mA) with Cable Negative 5 Way Daisy Chain Cord Tip for Guitar Effect Pedals and More Devices 5 Free Rubber Caps https://a.co/d/4EN30yQ am I safe to use it?

probably will be fine on it own but if you daisy chain in other pedals that's where you can introduce EMI and otherwise noise issues and should switch to a supply with isolated connectors instead of daisy chained

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Disco Pope posted:

I think some old people can't understand that people listen to music outside of their own generation. I have a friend who was crazy about The Clash and when an old punk asked him to name his favourite song and he named an album track from Combat Rock the guy got mad and said "I don't believe you."

People on this very forum will constantly scold others that zoomers don't know or care about your old timey rock n roll, gramps, and act like cultural awareness dies and is reborn in exact 20 year generational cycles. Its really weird.

That said, I very embarrassingly did pretty much what that couple did to lg when I ended up talking to some 20 year old wearing a Tribe Called Quest hat. Total grampy moment as I told him I loved that group when I was his age and it was so cool that young people still like that kind of hip hop. I wanted to walk directly into the ocean the instant the words left my mouth.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

800peepee51doodoo posted:

That said, I very embarrassingly did pretty much what that couple did to lg when I ended up talking to some 20 year old wearing a Tribe Called Quest hat. Total grampy moment as I told him I loved that group when I was his age and it was so cool that young people still like that kind of hip hop. I wanted to walk directly into the ocean the instant the words left my mouth.

Feels like this happens more and more and it’s so embarrassing, we getting old eh.

In guitar news, had my first lesson back since 5 weeks off for the break. I was kinda nervous as I hadn’t practiced much and mentioned this to my teacher. He said he doesn’t expect his students to practise over the break, big relief! Then I proceeded to butcher some easy riffs from No More Tears :ughh:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My friend recently designed a couple tour posters for The Smashing Pumpkins. I was talking about this with my cousin when we were over for Christmas and her college-age son was like "oh, they're still out there? Good for them" and it was very [matt-damon-aging.gif]

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

I'm 25 and all my friends love The Cure and Elliott Smith. If you're into rock music at all in my age group you probably know the most famous song by The Cure

Good

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with "dummy pickups"? The idea is to either take the magnet(s) out of one of the pickups (or replace the magnets with ferrite), then that pickup will work with the remaining one to behave like a humbucker.

https://www.frettech.com/frettech/dummy/index.html

I had the idea when thinking about how single-pickup guitars have better sustain, and i was wondering if i could get that mojo with one of my two-pickup guitars by taking one of the magnets out.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Anyone have experience with "dummy pickups"? The idea is to either take the magnet(s) out of one of the pickups (or replace the magnets with ferrite), then that pickup will work with the remaining one to behave like a humbucker.

I had the idea when thinking about how single-pickup guitars have better sustain, and i was wondering if i could get that mojo with one of my two-pickup guitars by taking one of the magnets out.

I mean assuming you're okay with it then being a single pickup guitar then sure. You'll probably kill the pickup though, I'm not sure it's a reversible mod. Usually the dummy coil just sits in the back cavity out of the way - I believe it has to sit parallel to the strings on the same axis as the other "coil" to be effective.

Benefits are that, as you say, you then effectively have a humbucking single coil guitar. Not a common mod as most people seem to prefer just having a true humbucker or dealing with the noise.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I believe Prince had a mod like that in his pseudotele for a minute but he hated it. I think it was under the pickguard where a strat's middle pickup would be.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

landgrabber posted:

honestly i feel a little bit bitter about this whole guitar.

i spent money i didn't have and barely paid it off in time, strained to do it... but it was what, six months into having it, that i had real bad fret buzz on the 4th fret? i was able to get it to a point where it wasn't so bad, but it still drove me from playing on that B string in that area. had similar issues with the high E string.

it just feels so stupid that this instrument has gotten logistically harder to play as i've gotten better at it. now i have to see about changing out saddles and bridge screws because one stripped -- i adjusted it twice with the wrench the guitar came with.

it's just all so demotivating.

IMO you should consider cutting your losses and just sell it. It sucks to lose the money, but it happens. I think that guitar is just always going to give you bad vibes even if you eventually got it set up well. You don't seem the type to enjoy tweaking, so go find one that clicks better from the start and trade in that one. Just imo.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Week 3 of learning guitar:

Finger pain completely gone thanks to calluses and I can noodle around for an hour with no issues.

Learned 5 chords D, A, E, Am, and Em. My speed for switching up chords has improved A LOT and I don't really struggle to make the switch in one beat anymore, though I do still fumble over myself from time to time. Especially the first time I pick up the guitar on a day. But once I get a couple of minutes in it improves.

Learning strumming patterns + chord changes is challenging. Like patting your head and stroking your belly at the same time. Trying to switch up the way I grip the neck a bit so I can use my thumb to deaden the 6th string for D, A, and Am while doing strumming patterns because it's a lot to try and avoid that 6th string while doing all that and switching chords. Not been terribly sucessful since I just confuse myself on the chord changes half the time.

At least now I'm playing stuff that sorta vaguely sounds like songs now, rather than repetitious excercises so I like that a lot.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ColdPie posted:

IMO you should consider cutting your losses and just sell it. It sucks to lose the money, but it happens. I think that guitar is just always going to give you bad vibes even if you eventually got it set up well. You don't seem the type to enjoy tweaking, so go find one that clicks better from the start and trade in that one. Just imo.

i wouldnt . ive gone through periods of hating a particular guitar to loving it later and thinking it unimaginable to part with. trade in value is abymsal on guitars.

imo its better just to keep it and only part with it in a private sale after you get something else if you really still hate it

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 27, 2023

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but you got me thinking about this system that my teacher has mentioned a few times. He speaks pretty highly of it, and the reviews are good, but it definitely seems more expensive than I'm prepared to deal with for messing around with bedroom playing. Maybe if I find a guitar that REALLY feels right.

https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ilitch-electronics-pgncs-t

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

The Leck posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but you got me thinking about this system that my teacher has mentioned a few times. He speaks pretty highly of it, and the reviews are good, but it definitely seems more expensive than I'm prepared to deal with for messing around with bedroom playing. Maybe if I find a guitar that REALLY feels right.

https://www.ilitchelectronics.com/
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ilitch-electronics-pgncs-t

I’m sure this does something for the price, but that copy gives me stupid audiophile poo poo vibes.

Edit: oh there’s 2 links. It looked like one. The review is better.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Nitrousoxide posted:

Learning strumming patterns + chord changes is challenging. Like patting your head and stroking your belly at the same time. Trying to switch up the way I grip the neck a bit so I can use my thumb to deaden the 6th string for D, A, and Am while doing strumming patterns because it's a lot to try and avoid that 6th string while doing all that and switching chords. Not been terribly sucessful since I just confuse myself on the chord changes half the time.

There's different schools of thought on this but, imo, it would probably be better to try to strum the correct strings for the chords youre fretting and deaden the undesireable adjacent strings with your fretting fingers whenever possible. Right hand accuracy is important to develop as you're progressing and its ok if you hit some stray strings occasionally while practicing. Also, wrapping your thumb over the top will mean you're probably flattening your fingers rather than arching them to fret on your fingertips. Flat fingers can give you the opposite problem of deadening strings you want to ring out. Again, just my opinion and there are good players that have baseball bat grips but personally I find that wrapping my thumb over the top creates more problems than solutions.

Congrats on the progress! The first bits of learning guitar are kind of amazing because progress can feel really rapid as you learn chords and eventually some scales and the stuff you're playing starts sounding like music.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

I’m sure this does something for the price, but that copy gives me stupid audiophile poo poo vibes.

Edit: oh there’s 2 links. It looked like one. The review is better.

at those prices you may as well just buy fender noiseless pickups

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i really like the 57/62s i put in my vintera strat

edit: they are kinda the opposite of noise canceling tho

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

ColdPie posted:

I object to this.

Guitars are made out of natural materials. Wood changes with temp/humidity. Unless you live somewhere that it's consistently the same conditions every day, it's rare you'll ever find a guitar that doesn't need some adjustments over time. If you get frustrated with a guitar because it changed, you'll be frustrated with most guitars.

Yes, some guitars are worse than others. Some guitars just suck from a quality perspective, even with big brands. Bad piece of wood, poor quality control ... Things happen but it's not super common. I'd wager your neck moved and needs a truss rod adjustment, maybe a minor intonation tweak. If your neck bows up, your action will feel higher, and vise versa. Don't adjust your action. Adjust your neck until it's flat or slightly bowed up. Then adjust your action.

My necks with maple fretboards (strat and tele) always need more adjustments than my necks with rosewood/ebony/etc (gretsch, Les Paul). I keep them all in the same room, in their cases. My breedlove acoustic is shockingly stable.

The best thing is learn how to do the work on your guitar. Setups are pretty easy and straight forward compared to wiring. Truss rod, intonation, action. It doesn't require and restringing. Literally two different sized hex wrenches and maybe a Phillips screwdriver depending on your bridge.

Stewmac has incredibly thorough videos, almost to a fault. There are tons of tools on Amazon that are pretty inexpensive. Feeler gages, neck radius gage. Neck level with two sides for different scale lengths and a fret level although those can be tricky and unless you're planning on leveling a fret, maybe not for a beginner.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wonder if the fret buzz will go away in spring

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's just a consequence of 1) living in a humid hellhole and 2) playing the everloving poo poo out of that guitar. You're putting a lot of wear on that thing, LG.

The nice thing about keeping 2 guitars ready to go is you always have a backup wholethr other gets worked on. Try not to get discouraged, this happens and it's always something you can work around.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
NEVER sell a gear dont do it

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I was also thinking of selling my MIM Strat because I like my SG so much more and switching between scale lengths saps all of my already meagre skill

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Buschmaki posted:

I was also thinking of selling my MIM Strat because I like my SG so much more and switching between scale lengths saps all of my already meagre skill

As someone who also owns both - you will have periods where you feel the exact opposite. Consider carefully!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

alcatraz gently caress boy posted:

NEVER sell a gear dont do it

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How do people feel regarding string gauge? I've always used 10s for anything between E standard and D standard and 11s on my D standard guitar that I sometimes play in D drop C. I know it's all subjective besides the different tones of the strings, but I'm wondering if I'd be happier at least on my guitars above D with an 8 or a 9 gauge sets. I guess I could just swap strings and try them out (and will probably end up doing that eventually) but I thought I'd see if there was a consensus.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i use 9-42 super slinkies on my electrics and elixir 12-53s on my acoustic

i find the super slinkies nice for bending and 12-53 more comfortable than 13s it came with. Sometimes I debate going back to 13.

I did break high E recently after doing more aggressive bends so I may need to bump to 10 if that's becomes too common

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
10s on everything. 10s on acoustics, 10s on 25.5s, 10s on 24.75. Flat 10s, round 10s. Tens supremacy.

(I actually just put a set of rectified trebs on my classical, and I'm trying to decide how I feel about it. I want more projection to make up for no nails, and I'm not sure this is it. They seem a bit louder, but that may just be because I'm getting treble string noise for the first time. Maybe I'll get a set of Carbons/Titaniums or something next.)

e: what I really want obviously, is a new classical guitar. Obviously.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 27, 2023

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Huxley posted:

10s on everything

:hmmyes:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Huxley posted:

10s on everything. 10s on acoustics, 10s on 25.5s, 10s on 24.75.

I also use regular slinkies on my SG which I keep in drop a#

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

10-52 down a half step most of the time.