Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's some nutcase who does DOS attacks on the Titanfall servers all day. You can't play on consoles or PC. The only way to play PC consistently is to use the Northstar client, which you have to mod in.

However it's totally lost the casual fun appeal IMO, because only the really hardcore do the Northstar thing so I hope you're either Prime FPS MurderGod material or enjoy going 1 - 18 against guys who fly around the map at mach 2 and use you as a chew toy.

Did they ever figure out what was going on with the nutcase? He was mad about some other game or some poo poo right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Field Mousepad posted:

Did they ever figure out what was going on with the nutcase? He was mad about some other game or some poo poo right?

From my understanding his official reason is because he's mad about Apex Legends existing instead of Titanfall 3 and somehow thinks eternally DDOS'ing TF2 will eventually send a message to Respawn to do something else

Which of course makes no loving sense, much like the motivations of the people who run Sniper bots in the other TF2

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That's great news! Last time I tried it was fried. Good match quality? Do you remember which data center?

I used one of the Tokyo servers and got matches all night, but my ping was around 100

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I’ve just been playing for an hour or two. Completely seamless online experience (playing on PC, Attrition mode). I don’t know how many players are active right now but it was enough to matchmake into full games quickly.

Default game, too. Not using Northstar.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

drrockso20 posted:

From my understanding his official reason is because he's mad about Apex Legends existing instead of Titanfall 3 and somehow thinks eternally DDOS'ing TF2 will eventually send a message to Respawn to do something else

Which of course makes no loving sense, much like the motivations of the people who run Sniper bots in the other TF2

Well that sure is a thing :confused:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I’m jonesin’ for some Titanfall but I’m moving cross country and it’s probably gonna be a couple weeks before I’m all set up again

:negative:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You guys should set up Titanfall Tuesdays or Thursdays or something.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
It's a good idea but who knows with this DDOS. There's Northstar though it also isn't perfect

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I’m confused I thought the DDOS attacks stopped, or they’re more sporadic? Or does it depend on the server you’re on

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If they stopped it was after the majority of the playerbase had been driven away for good.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Keep getting server timeouts when trying to do Frontier Defence. At least the singleplayer is a masterpiece, fuggen hacker fucks can't take that from me.

EDIT: I actually did get into a match, and it was glorious.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 26, 2023

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

On PC during the height of the attacks you could maybe get into a game but everyone would get disconnected shortly after it started, and server location didn’t seem to matter much. They either fixed that or the attacker stopped, so once you’re in a game it should be good, but the sporadic timeouts during matchmaking have been happening ever since.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Did about four rounds of frontier defence and one attrition, and it was a bloody good time .

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Arbite posted:

I've had it on PS4 for years but got it on Steam as it's 90% off at the moment.

Now to figure out Northstar...

I think I’ve bought this game like 4 times now for every platform I owned in some dorky attempt to show my support

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

sticksy posted:

I think I’ve bought this game like 4 times now for every platform I owned in some dorky attempt to show my support

Respawn probably used this money to create a weapon reskin that costs $160 to acquire.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
160 bucks for a skin. What a world we're living in

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Field Mousepad posted:

160 bucks for a skin. What a world we're living in

There were far more expensive weapons (debatable utility) back in the RMAH in Diablo 3 launch era. I've seen 500$ weapons and they sold, it was crazy.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Oh I was there in the rmah days, I paid my rent for a few months with it.

Paying money for an item that actually benefits you that isn't just cosmetic sort of makes sense to me though.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

So I just finished the single player campaign in Titanfall 2. That was freakin great! Short, sweet, it felt like playing a (good) big budget sci fi movie. Why are single player FPS experiences like this so rare nowadays?

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
They aren't that rare since "big budget movie" is every CoD campaign. However there's no money in it so it's not the main attraction.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I wish some 20 man FPS studio would pick up the IP for Lancer and make a Titanfall clone out of it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

I wish some 20 man FPS studio would pick up the IP for Lancer and make a Titanfall clone out of it.

Show LANCER to Respawn and I'm sure Respawn could license it for $20 or so.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Squeezy Farm posted:

They aren't that rare since "big budget movie" is every CoD campaign. However there's no money in it so it's not the main attraction.

I think it's more the balance of the writing in TF2 is better. There's a particular mood to it that makes TF2 way more about the characters while also still being about a bigger overall story. CoD tends to lean all the way on standard rah rah military stuff. Zoomed out they're not that different but there's a particular flavor to TF2 that I prefer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Infinite Warfare is the perfect companion piece to Titanfall 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Argas posted:

I think it's more the balance of the writing in TF2 is better. There's a particular mood to it that makes TF2 way more about the characters while also still being about a bigger overall story. CoD tends to lean all the way on standard rah rah military stuff. Zoomed out they're not that different but there's a particular flavor to TF2 that I prefer.
Yeah thew way I see it is the COD stuff is much more military sci-fi, often trying to be comparatively grounded and therefore less inventive, TF2 is full on space opera.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Argas posted:

It's exactly this. Relatable kind of badass regular dude instead of super badass special team bro with a skull mask on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mordja posted:

Yeah thew way I see it is the COD stuff is much more military sci-fi, often trying to be comparatively grounded and therefore less inventive, TF2 is full on space opera.

Infinite Warfare is hard sci-fi as hell but verging on space opera at certain moments, like BSG or The Expanse level poo poo mixed with Wrath of Khan. It's awesome. And you're pretty much playing as the rear end in a top hat corporate space imperialist antagonists from Titanfall. Can't believe those two games came out in the same season.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The framing of Infinite Warfare was really off-putting. It worked for setting it up but good lord was it excessive.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Is it worth looking into if I'm zero percent interested in multiplayer(let's be real, zero percent interested in getting owned mercilessly)? I liked the single player for CoD 1, 2, 4, MW2, and 3, and thought the one Black Ops game I played was poo poo, but that's more Treyarch being poo poo. Didn't play any of the others.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oh it's propaganda for sure, but the spectacle is absolutely unmatched. I'm a COD hater and I loved IW, and there will never be another game like it, mainly because of how expertly Infinity Ward tread the line of using big budget military marketing cash to make something that kind of shrugs its shoulders at the military and then says look over here zero g space battle pew pew

Narzack posted:

Is it worth looking into if I'm zero percent interested in multiplayer(let's be real, zero percent interested in getting owned mercilessly)? I liked the single player for CoD 1, 2, 4, MW2, and 3, and thought the one Black Ops game I played was poo poo, but that's more Treyarch being poo poo. Didn't play any of the others.

Yes, play it for the story mode.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I haven’t played a CoD since mw2 and that story was enough for me to wonder why anyone plays the series for the plot. I imagine they’re all the same thing

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I try to play every CoD single player campaign out there and so far the last one I enjoyed was Black Ops 2. Black Ops 3 is awful and I'm still playing IW (not bad, and better than the ones that came out after like WWII). I have a copy of MW 2019 that I'm sure I'll like it and I'll wait for MW2 to drop price quite a bit. Once I'm done with a few games, I'll beat IW as so far it had a few cool spots. TF2 is still better at everything imo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FastestGunAlive posted:

I haven’t played a CoD since mw2 and that story was enough for me to wonder why anyone plays the series for the plot. I imagine they’re all the same thing

As games they are like sisters, and anyone who loved Titanfall 2 singleplayer should play IW singleplayer even if it's just to roleplay being the shitheel IMC as oorah space Americans doing a space Iraq War, with all the propaganda you might expect from that scenario.

Guillermus posted:

TF2 is still better at everything imo.

Oh yeah, this is never in doubt.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

As games they are like sisters, and anyone who loved Titanfall 2 singleplayer should play IW singleplayer even if it's just to roleplay being the shitheel IMC as oorah space Americans doing a space Iraq War, with all the propaganda you might expect from that scenario.

Oh yeah, this is never in doubt.

I'm doing the side missions Blops 2 style and I like it for sure. It has some super-ultra-generic CoD corridors with plenty of enemies and friendly NPCs that can't kill for poo poo that you need to clear to keep pushing but the dogfight mission and some of the space combat parts are really cool.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I tried playing IW after TF2 and I just could not get on with the movement, it felt so stilted. :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Imagine playing CoD for anything other than Zombies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I tried playing IW after TF2 and I just could not get on with the movement, it felt so stilted. :v:

Nearly every game ever made feels stilted compared to Titanfall 2 tho.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

sigher posted:

Imagine playing CoD for anything other than Zombies.

Never actually rated it as a mode. :v:

Correct, it has ruined a lot of games for me!

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Imo Source Engine and GoldSRC have always been the king of FPS movement, Titanfall adding wall-running to that was icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1620879582038732800?t=Kud0e6zkRVJC8CLao74gWw&s=19