Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm interested in more detail on them firing the fire paramedics who showed up.

Did they help hold him down? Take shots? Never heard of them getting fired in something like this.

loving horrible.

It's gonna get worse over the next couple of weeks between this and the escalations at Cop City

'member how in Syphon Filter you could taze enemies for so long that they'd spontaneously ignite?

I'm thinking something like that but with the zap paddles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Harold Fjord posted:

Did they help hold him down? Take shots? Never heard of them getting fired in something like this.

loving horrible.

It's gonna get worse over the next couple of weeks between this and the escalations at Cop City

They haven't actually said exactly why, but based on reports it seems to be for negligence and not reporting what they saw.

Apparently, after the cops "subdued" him, he complained of shortness of breath and the firefighter paramedics just did a quick check, then loaded him up to go to the hospital and didn't check on him beyond that. They also were on the scene (and I assume watching) the second time the cops "subdued" him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Interestingly, Trump is changing his campaign and platform to mimic DeSantis.

I think this is probably just a recognition that school things and anti-trans policies are the new social conservative hotness. It also doubles as an attempt to box DeSantis out a bit of his brand.

This is a huge expansion of his previous education platform, which was just expanding school vouchers and a tax credit for private school.

This is also the first set of policy proposals his campaign has officially released in the 4 months since he declared (there was one set of "unofficial" policies from the America First Institute).

The main planks:

- Cut federal funding for any school that "teaches critical race theory, gender ideology, or other inappropriate racial, sexual, or political content onto our children."
- Open civil rights investigations into any school district that has engaged in race-based discrimination - especially against Asian-Americans.
- Keep men out of women's sports and bathrooms at all levels.
- End federal funding for any school with teacher tenure.
- End federal funding for schools unless they elect their principals.
- Significant cuts to school administration staff.
- Create a national certification program for teachers who “embrace patriotic values.”
- Remove “the radical zealots and Marxists” from the Department of Education.
- Adopting a national "parental bill of rights" for all public schools to follow (no details on the specifics).

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1618748290375221248

quote:

Trump unveils new education policy loaded with culture war proposals

Former President Donald Trump is unveiling a 2024 education policy plan, one focusing heavily on the culture war components that have animated conservatives.

The plan, shared in advance with POLITICO, calls for cutting federal funding for any school or program that includes “critical race theory, gender ideology, or other inappropriate racial, sexual, or political content onto our children.” It also calls for opening “civil rights investigations into any school district that has engaged in race-based discrimination,” particularly against Asian American students, and promises to “keep men out of women’s sports.”

The proposals are not focused solely on social policy and school curriculum. In a video unveiling the plan, which was shared by his campaign, Trump also calls for making significant cuts to administrative personnel and the end of teacher tenure and the election of school principals.

“As the saying goes, personnel is policy and at the end of the day if we have pink-haired communists teaching our kids we have a major problem,” Trump said. “We’re at the end of the list on education and yet we spend the most, but we’re going to be tops in education no matter where you go anywhere in the world.”

Though large swaths of education policy are dictated by state and local governments, Trump’s proposals still represent a radical departure from long-standing approaches. Taken in full, they represent an attempt by the former president to put his own imprint on debates around the nation’s school systems that have popped up across state capitals.

Conservatives, for example, have pushed for restrictions on transgender athletes, even though transgender women have been allowed to compete in women’s categories in the Olympics since 2003 and the NCAA since 2010.

Just days ago, meanwhile, Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla.) — a potential 2024 competitor — blocked high schools in his state from teaching an Advanced Placement African American studies curriculum over what he described as the inclusion of topics like “queer theory” and movements that called for “abolishing prisons.”

The White House and education groups, including the College Board, have pushed back aggressively on DeSantis, arguing that he has no basis or credibility to make such determinations. More broadly, school administrators and progressive activists have noted that most public school officials across the country do not teach critical race theory, even in districts where lawmakers are seeking to ban it.

But Trump’s policy proposal underscores how primed Republicans are for these types of fights. During his time in office, the main thrust of Trump’s education platform was not so much on cultural elements as on a desire to expand school choice, including a federal tax credit to help parents pay for private school tuition.

Now running for office again, Trump is calling for a certification program for teachers who “embrace patriotic values” and “funding preferences and favorable treatment” for states and school districts that follow his calls for abolishing teacher tenure. He also calls for cutting administrative roles, and adopting a “parental bill of rights.” Trump said he would also remove “the radical zealots and Marxists” he claims have “infiltrated” the Department of Education.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

-Blackadder- posted:

So this led me to take a stroll down memory lane and revisit just how we got here...

Both compliments of Trotsky:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3983623&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=62#post519090851

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3986569&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post519685317

It's worth going back and reading through them, including the subsequent posts, to get a feel for how bad it was.

So I'm curious about what others' thoughts are about this?

Those focus groups had some seriously frustrating responses.

Did the Dems make any changes, and how does this all fit in with the Dems doing well in the midterms? Is it all just down to Abortion?

i think alot of dem leadership(leat outside CA/NY parties) realize winds shifting and the GOP isnt the oppsition part and are just psycho morons who are fine if everyone dies but them. i thin trump/those years/1/5 and dobbs kinda landed it home. its also the suburbs are pretty firmly blue because the GOP is insane now.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think this is probably just a recognition that school things and anti-trans policies are the new social conservative hotness. It also doubles as an attempt to box DeSantis out a bit of his brand.

This is a huge expansion of his previous education platform, which was just expanding school vouchers and a tax credit for private school.

This is also the first set of policy proposals his campaign has officially released in the 4 months since he declared (there was one set of "unofficial" policies from the America First Institute).

The main planks:

- Cut federal funding for any school that "teaches critical race theory, gender ideology, or other inappropriate racial, sexual, or political content onto our children."
- Open civil rights investigations into any school district that has engaged in race-based discrimination - especially against Asian-Americans.
- Keep men out of women's sports and bathrooms at all levels.
- End federal funding for any school with teacher tenure.
- End federal funding for schools unless they elect their principals.
- Significant cuts to school administration staff.
- Create a national certification program for teachers who “embrace patriotic values.”
- Remove “the radical zealots and Marxists” from the Department of Education.
- Adopting a national "parental bill of rights" for all public schools to follow (no details on the specifics).

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1618748290375221248

i mean whats funny is at best(for them) non chuds are annoyed and idifferent by all this insane poo poo from the GOP. I think once you become known as the weird moralizing prude(for good or mostly ill) your hosed and will be disliked, thats what the GOP is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, all 5 of the cops were fired within 2 weeks. It's almost certainly indefensibly bad.

they all got charged with a gently caress ton of charges including 2nd degree murder. video comes out 7pm est. its gonna be reall bad.

Kale
May 14, 2010

My parents who usually have pretty decent takes for older folks had a really bad one on this Tyre Nichols story or at least my dad had a loving brutal one this morning. Something to the effect of not hearing the other side of the story from the police and "its a shame that theres probably lots of good cops out there but you hear these stories and what not". I was like "you mean the only story we usually here like 'police say'" and how they clearly have systemtic problems and are in need of a complete overhaul of the police system in the United States at the absolure very least? Like the loving police chief herself is saying this is horseshit, I think that says it all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Harold Fjord posted:

loving horrible.

my guess is the stood around and did nothing mixed with probably being dicks.

Kale posted:

My parents who usually have pretty decent takes for older folks had a really bad one on this Tyre Nichols story or at least my dad had a loving brutal one this morning. Something to the effect of not hearing the other side of the story from the police and "its a shame that theres probably lots of good cops out there but you hear these stories and what not". I was like "you mean the only story we usually here like 'police say'" and how they clearly have systemtic problems and are in need of a complete overhaul of the police system in the United States at the absolure very least? Like the loving police chief herself is saying this is horseshit, I think that says it all.

that sucks. my dad is weird because he hates the rioting and etc but he also thinks cops like this who do awful poo poo should be sacked and arrested insantly and is pretty woke about privledge and stuff like that. so idk take what you can get.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Kale posted:

You know that old saying, one bad apple in a barrel is not a big deal and we should instead focus on how many good apples there are.

That kind of attitude seems to be near-universal with older folks. I guess kind of an empathetic blind spot formed by latent racism and the lack of systems thinking.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cat botherer posted:

You know that old saying, one bad apple in a barrel is not a big deal and we should instead focus on how many good apples there are.

That kind of attitude seems to be near-universal with older folks. I guess kind of an empathetic blind spot formed by latent racism and the lack of systems thinking.

Copaganda has rotted people's brains. My mom is getting pushed farther left every year on most things, but she still thinks Law and Order is a documentary.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Copaganda has rotted people's brains. My mom is getting pushed farther left every year on most things, but she still thinks Law and Order is a documentary.

It's drilled in starting at such a young age. There's decades worth of programming that has to be de-programmed.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Judgy Fucker posted:

It's drilled in starting at such a young age. There's decades worth of programming that has to be de-programmed.

The Paw Patrol to Blue Bloods pipeline

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

the only good blue is bluey.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the only good blue is bluey.

Yeah, I Back the Blue

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

Passive copaganda is one thing. Now that School Resource Officers (SROs for those unfamiliar) are omnipresent* kids are conditioned to being around cops and seeing them manhandle "unruly" students as early as lower elementary.

Of course Kale's parents probably didn't have SROs when they were kids, just makes me think about how much harder it's gonna be to get public opinion to move on the police as an institution going forward

*SROs are not actually "present" in the school, they will only be found outside the main office when there's skulls to crack because, like all cops, they're loving useless except for brutalizing people

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

Yeah, I Back the Blue

gently caress yeah.

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1619004806844059652

wow its almost as if trying to go moral majority culture war poo poo is deeply unpopular and people dont like when you ban books and cause bullying in schools.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lib and let die posted:

Don't forget their massive GOTV and fundraising database that just got gutted by private equity lmfao

That sort of ties in with the things I mentioned. A patronage network is for example promising money usually in the form of political favors at a higher level in exchange for more intimate knowledge of the local voter and more methods to motivate them to vote through that. Sure they buy ads too but the lower levels of a patronage network can disseminate it tailored, as well as guarantee that people actually go to vote. Fundraising from more then rich people has much the same basis.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress yeah.

wow its almost as if trying to go moral majority culture war poo poo is deeply unpopular and people dont like when you ban books and cause bullying in schools.

there is a non-zero percentage that think that being against Trump shirts in schools is bullying

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress yeah.

Banning books is really unpopular, but the rest of the chart isn't amazing either.

Almost 40% of Americans are "very concerned" about schools "indoctrinating kids with liberal ideas" and another 21% are "somewhat concerned."

It is almost on par with sexual abuse for "very concerned" people.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Gerund posted:

there is a non-zero percentage that think that being against Trump shirts in schools is bullying

Also that believe that students are "not meeting learning objectives" because schools spend too much time indoctrinating them with liberal ideas.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Banning books is really unpopular, but the rest of the chart isn't amazing either.

Almost 40% of Americans are "very concerned" about schools "indoctrinating kids with liberal ideas" and another 21% are "somewhat concerned."

It is almost on par with sexual abuse for "very concerned" people.

Yeah that number seems kinda bonkers. Like really? 60% of America is worried about liberal schools??

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Also that believe that students are "not meeting learning objectives" because schools spend too much time indoctrinating them with liberal ideas.

Agreed, but the mean child everywhere across the country is a year or two behind no matter what you control for*. Schools are going to be the angle until the average 4th grader can do simple multiplication.

You can't optics your way out of material circumstances, one must provide solutions.

*personal theory is that you can't easily control for the number of good teachers that got too sick to teach because talent is tough to quantify

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

That sort of ties in with the things I mentioned. A patronage network is for example promising money usually in the form of political favors at a higher level in exchange for more intimate knowledge of the local voter and more methods to motivate them to vote through that. Sure they buy ads too but the lower levels of a patronage network can disseminate it tailored, as well as guarantee that people actually go to vote. Fundraising from more then rich people has much the same basis.

No, I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying. All those emails people get begging for donations? All the phone and text banking done by volunteers? The company that used to own that - started as a personal project for some Senator's campaign in a dude's attic to get like, Tom Carper or some other piece of poo poo elected. It was sold off to a uk-based investment firm called Apax, and the first thing they did after 1/1 was lay off 10% of staff, some who had been with the company since the inception of VAN whose knowledge simply can't be replaced.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
At least 7% of respondents are concerned about both liberal and conservative indoctrination

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I feel like this is evidence that Trump's political career is essentially over. Much like that time he tried to claim credit for the COVID vaccine and got booed by his own base, it's a sign that he's totally lost control over his own movement. Instead of just getting up there and saying whatever the gently caress he wants, he's now opting to follow along with what his consultants and advisors say will appeal to the base, and that is absolutely not Trump at all. And if he's not Trump anymore, then he's just a generic fringe Republican whose chances aren't much better than the Cruzes or DeSantises.

While the Trump administration was pretty lovely to LGBT people, Trump himself didn't seem to have any interest in the transphobic agenda on the campaign trail in 2016. Hell, Cruz even tried to attack Trump for not supporting bathroom bills, and Trump simply ignored him because he wasn't scared of Cruz and he didn't give a poo poo about chasing the polls.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

cat botherer posted:

It's so annoying when people just say "it's one bad apple" to sound wise. I know a lot of the people, especially the older ones, know the actual phrase is "One bad apple spoils the bunch." They're using the idiom for the exact wrong purpose. I think it's just a lack of willingness to examine what's really happening and try to change it or confront it.

Edit: If any bunch has been spoiled, it's the police.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 27, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

I feel like this is evidence that Trump's political career is essentially over. Much like that time he tried to claim credit for the COVID vaccine and got booed by his own base, it's a sign that he's totally lost control over his own movement. Instead of just getting up there and saying whatever the gently caress he wants, he's now opting to follow along with what his consultants and advisors say will appeal to the base, and that is absolutely not Trump at all. And if he's not Trump anymore, then he's just a generic fringe Republican whose chances aren't much better than the Cruzes or DeSantises.

While the Trump administration was pretty lovely to LGBT people, Trump himself didn't seem to have any interest in the transphobic agenda on the campaign trail in 2016. Hell, Cruz even tried to attack Trump for not supporting bathroom bills, and Trump simply ignored him because he wasn't scared of Cruz and he didn't give a poo poo about chasing the polls.

yeah the trumpist chuds want full culture/morality police against LGBTQ and trump never really gave a gently caress about any of that poo poo because he is new york republican and more racist then bigoted against LGBTQ folks on a personal level(he would still flush their lives and rights down the shitter for claps) so now he has to play keep up.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah I don't think Desantis is going to win but I think 2016 primary Trump would have understood that people think campaigning on this poo poo is weird.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lib and let die posted:

No, I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying. All those emails people get begging for donations? All the phone and text banking done by volunteers? The company that used to own that - started as a personal project for some Senator's campaign in a dude's attic to get like, Tom Carper or some other piece of poo poo elected. It was sold off to a uk-based investment firm called Apax, and the first thing they did after 1/1 was lay off 10% of staff, some who had been with the company since the inception of VAN whose knowledge simply can't be replaced.

Call me Nostradamus, but I don't think that is going to effect the vote much. Dems have a deeper institutional legacy as to GOTV and will have no trouble re-establish the vote drives that allow establishment to win in primaries.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 27, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

Call me Nostradamus, but I don't think that is going to effect the vote much. Dems have a deeper institutional legacy as to GOTV and will have no trouble re-establish the vote drives that allow establishment to win in primaries.

Oh, you sweet, naive poster. You have no idea how fragile the system is, and it's only going to get worse from here under the guidance of private capital.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
You don't need to affect the vote "much" when you are also suppressing it, gerrymandering it, and preparing to outright overturn local results if you don't like them. There will be a straw that breaks the camels back. But whatever the opposite of that is. The Muntz Limit.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lib and let die posted:

Oh, you sweet, naive poster. You have no idea how fragile the system is, and it's only going to get worse from here under the guidance of private capital.

This won't stop black churches from canvassing for Biden, for example. I will 100 :toxx: that he will win the African American vote in the next Democratic primary. Biden is the God of incumbency but he is far from only Democratic establishment figure to have maintained their own personal political machine beyond a single corporation.

There is no institutional, organizational, financial or media ownership aisle for the left to challenge the establishment in the Democratic Party. There wasn't for the Trumpists and Tea Party before that in the GOP, yet they have taken control of the party in full and reduced the establishment like Kevin McCarthy into eternal butt monkey figureheads and accomplished major political victories. The Left must resort into the same weapons and strategy - an appealing message to the base. If you're hoping for some single screw up to unravel the Democratic establishment otherwise you're just being hopelessly naive.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Dems running for any office other than U.S. House Rep, U.S. Senator, or President (and maybe some governorships) do not have legacy GOTV machines they can fall back on. NGPVAN is/was critical in their electioneering. You have zero clue what you're talking about.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Judgy Fucker posted:

Dems running for any office other than U.S. House Rep, U.S. Senator, or President (and maybe some governorships) do not have legacy GOTV machines they can fall back on. NGPVAN is/was critical in their electioneering. You have zero clue what you're talking about.

You may cite your sources for this political revolution at this point to demonstrate how I don't have a clue about what I am talking about. I bet the Party will come to the rescue for any downballoteers.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

You may cite your sources

You're the one arguing in the affirmative, you cite your sources.

DarkCrawler posted:

for this political revolution at this point

I have no clue what the gently caress you're talking about here

DarkCrawler posted:

I bet the Party will come to the rescue for any downballoteers.

Lol. Lmao

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DarkCrawler posted:

You may cite your sources for this political revolution at this point to demonstrate how I don't have a clue about what I am talking about. I bet the Party will come to the rescue for any downballoteers.

Buddy, our union wasn't even allowed to publish a public statement on the layoffs. No help is coming from the Dems to save their own infrastructure.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://apple.news/At041uJ-RSKWIejQS2VXwlA

Paul Pelosi might’ve been loving close to death. The released body cam is from them showing up to the house and it seems like the perp wasn’t too far from wrecking Pelosi.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Vahakyla posted:

https://apple.news/At041uJ-RSKWIejQS2VXwlA

Paul Pelosi might’ve been loving close to death. The released body cam is from them showing up to the house and it seems like the perp wasn’t too far from wrecking Pelosi.

Here’s, uh, a real link https://www.wsj.com/articles/video-of-paul-pelosi-attack-shows-intruder-striking-house-speakers-husband-with-a-hammer-11674844013

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The five cops are black, so of course they will be charged and found guilty. I have no doubt in my mind. See how they've actually been fired already as well.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edit: beat the 10 second post timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Welp, I guess I know what a cheekbone getting broken by a hammer sounds like now.

I have no idea why the security didn't rush him when he started trying to pull the hammer out.