Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

I'm lovin' it. :911:

Slylock Fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Hempuli posted:

I probably complained about it last time too, but that last comic there encapsulates why this comic sucks really well.

It's a well made comic but it's such a downer to the point that it stops being funny. All I think after every batch is "Virt would be really happy if he got in his car and drove in one direction. Or murdered everyone he knew."

Making me miss Mr Milquetoast, who was pretty well meaning while being the butt of the joke almost every time.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 27, 2023

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Ralph Crammed In posted:

So they just had drifter monkeys back in the 40s?

I screwed up the order (sometimes the book puts days out of order when they do a full-page)

Here's the strip from the day before:

1/25

And today's Nancy 1943

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I appreciate that he's eating cat food

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That is clearly a box of dehydrated cat.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 14, 1935)

Peanuts (January 30, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 14, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 29, 1939)

Out Our Way (December 5-7, 1940)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Doomykins posted:

It's a well made comic but it's such a downer to the point that it stops being funny. All I think after every batch is "Virt would be really happy if he got in his car and drove in one direction. Or murdered everyone he knew."

There's especially something in the concept of "I hate my family and a divorce would make me happier, but somehow doing that isn't an option so I must wait for my wife to leave me" that annoys me; I'm aware that it plays on traditional views on marriage & divorce, but the way Virtanen talks about it manages to make every person in the equation seem like a jerk and makes it hard to really root for anyone in the strip, even though I *think* we're supposed to root for Virtanen. Or maybe the reader isn't meant to root for anyone?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I wonder if Maggie is in a wheel chair actually because honestly to me it looks more like just a chair with a wheel on it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lunch

Pondus

Storefri

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Good Listener posted:

I wonder if Maggie is in a wheel chair actually because honestly to me it looks more like just a chair with a wheel on it.

Yeah I thought it was a wheelchair at first but I think it's like a wheeled garden chair, just fancy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Esplanade posted:

Miss Peach isn't the best thing in this thread by any means, but it's usually good for a sensible chuckle.
It's better than Momma at least.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

Um Bread

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/2-4/50

A dollar for a bottle of water! What an incredible scam, right, folks?

Archie 5/9-11/46

But first, I wanted to call out this panel from yesterday:

Bob Montana's alma mater, Haverhill High School, also has a "Thinker" statue out front -- although theirs is copied from Michelangelo, not Rodin.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Selachian posted:

Archie 5/9-11/46

Bob Montana's alma mater, Haverhill High School, also has a "Thinker" statue out front -- although theirs is copied from Michelangelo, not Rodin.

Having the sculpture that tops the gates to hell in front of the high school is certainly more apropos.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

Haverhill High School, also the alma mater of Rob Zombie and Seth Romatelli

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Capitalize! On! Your! Cultural! Trauma!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 19, 1955)

I'm such a huge fan of the way that the real Prince Valiant (i.e. Hal Foster) incorporates facts into his fantasy historical fiction. One of the biggest of the many problems with chivalric culture (which many historians posit is one of the worst things to happen to western civ.), as Prince Valiant is referring to here, is that the knights were only trained to wage war and didn't know how to do anything else. They had no other skills, and despite being "high class" they were almost all illiterate (and proudly so - whadya need to know to read for if all ya need to do is kick peasant rear end?). More than once Foster has alluded to the illiterate nature of the "knight" class.
Of course, then there's the artwork, which perfects the whole thing...

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember, but does Planck know Maggie moved on and got married and had a kid because he LITERALLY DISAPPEARED FOR YEARS WITHOUT CONTACT?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"The new car doesn't actively endanger my life and the lives of other people around it."
"-nostalgic sobbing-"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Good for them!

Avid readers of Ballard Street will know that pulley system enthusiasm is a common feature of the neighbourhood.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Got dang Ballard Street is awesome.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 10, 1954)

Something I've noticed about Schultz is that he's really bad at drawing action and this is a perfect example of it. Need to draw a reaction to a surprise? Just take a standing pose and turn it upside down!

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 10-11, 1992)

Big Nate

Didn't we just recently have an arc where Nate told her he wasn't interested and she agreed to back off?

Blind Alley

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate

Didn't we just recently have an arc where Nate told her he wasn't interested and she agreed to back off

She's the strip's Pepe Le Pew.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

She's the strip's Pepe Le Pew.

always has to be a rather unattractive girl, doesn't it? This strip, the dog from Poncho, etc.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I see her as more of a force of nature. An inexorable future. Nate’s opposite.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Splitting the two comic pages apart in today's poorly formatted scans, DAWRG:

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol, love it

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Feb 10, 1954)

Something I've noticed about Schultz is that he's really bad at drawing action and this is a perfect example of it. Need to draw a reaction to a surprise? Just take a standing pose and turn it upside down!

I dunno, I kinda like how his characters hover in surprise, especially upside down. It's not as static-feeling as it could be since it seems right in place with the style. I admit I have a fondness for his on-the-run pose, especially when it's part of a punchline.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/27/03

Modern Satchel fantasizes about visiting the Pearl Milling Company.

Stephen Collins, still political.

Brenda Starr 4/17-19/50

Smokey Stover 8/10/52

Everyday Movies 1/16/36

"Oh, Madge, Betty knocked over your goldfish bowl and it nearly frightened the poor child half to death."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/5-7/40

Bonus News Story! Further proof that horny teenagers have always been stupid.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Green Intern posted:

Also the old man was rowing a boat in a full tux?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_P7yWnAAd0&t=12s

I think of all the comics currently in the thread I look forward to Prince Valiant and Archie the most.

Also, don't forget Scarlet O'Neil is invulnerable; she strolled through a burning building.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 24, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

I love these all, but especially Harry.

In today's Blueberry: OK, I hate to draw in another thread, but THIS Mookie? This is how you do a comic without dialogue, or You're pretty good..., or Will and Simon talk about the future of America