Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
WFH is also a flashpoint because it seems like the first time in 70 years anglo workers have flexed their power in any real way, as anodyne as it is. Come back to the office, they say, no, gently caress off, we say. And similar to what we've seen with Richie Rich's Amazing Taxdodgers and the strikes, they cannot give an inch on anything even if it would literally be better for THEM if they did lest it all collapse and people start feeling their oats. But at some point they have to give up and allow flexible working, and Pret can go hang.

Next little tiny weeny step might be things like the tantrums over "Gen Z won't even apply for jobs unless the salary is published" type stuff. And then that'll be normalised and then it'll be something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's why I quit my previous job. While it's kind of an on site job to begin with being health and safety and requiring auditing - we requested to do 4 days instead of 6 on because we could easily do all that was required in that timeframe and take care of requests/logging/reporting from home. Ofcourse that got knocked back within seconds of it being muttered, but the catch to all this is the senior management (people who are responsible for maintenance and should absolutely be on site too) were doing 1 day and in some cases 0 days on site for 4 years.

The whole hypocrisy among a shopping list of other reasons was the final straw for me because we'd just spent the previous 3 years being on site full time during the pandemic, travelling in and putting ourselves at risk, having 0 support to call on, all whilst dealing with students and staff under immense stress which saw physical confrontations skyrocket because said management was so loving useless that the entire college and it's residences were falling apart because we went from proactively fixing issues to being purely reactive.

Long and short, don't go to uni or send your kids to uni. The whole notion of further education has been ruined by administrators running it like a loving business and the costs are absolutely extortion.

Even though I'm unemployed currently, I feel so much better and am in no rush to re-enter the work force because gently caress all that poo poo and then some.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Upside Down Cakette Taxxe

Did you know: cats do this because human faces look better to them upside down.

(Note: I just made this up.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Only Kindness posted:

Upside Down Cakette Taxxe

Did you know: cats do this because human faces look better to them upside down.

(Note: I just made this up.)

If you're bald and bearded she might just think you're doing upside-down face and trying to mirror

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Unkempt posted:

People actually pay money for stuff like that? I'm sure I've got some 80s bootleg tapes in the attic somewhere.

Yep!

I had a pile of cassettes and wanted rid so where possible I found stuff on spotify or youtube or soundcloud or internet archive but was left with some that weren't to be found anywhere already digital.

My cassette player (part of a lp/cd/cassette unit) was quite wonky. I recorded & uploaded to Youtube. A while later got a youtube message from someone saying they had been hoping for years that someone would post it and even though I said the tape was a bit wonky, they still bought it!
Apparently it wasn't wonky in their machine, mine had been in a shed for about 12 years between uses so that was probably why the tape bit wasn't playing right.

Unrelated: sorry someone my finger slipped and I may have accidentally reported someone but I didn't complete any form and backed out so hope it didn't go anywhere! Would be someone on this page anyway! Mods if you get a report from me it was an accident!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Without doxing myself, my job is in resourcing for large scale enterprises, and let me tell you hiring for in office work is near impossible. And the turnover for the ones we do manage to recruit is eyewateringly bad. No ones ditching WFH anytime soon no matter how much Rees Mogg and his landlord buddies piss and moan about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Without doxing myself, my job is in resourcing for large scale enterprises,

:thermidor:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Actor Alan Cumming has returned the OBE he was awarded in 2009 as part of the Queen's birthday honours list.

The X-Men star said although he had been "grateful", his eyes were now "opened" over "the toxicity of empire".

You can do things like star in leading roles on Broadway, produce musicals, author a novel, but you play a bit part in one X-men movie and to the BBC you're the X-man guy now.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You can do things like star in leading roles on Broadway, produce musicals, author a novel, but you play a bit part in one X-men movie and to the BBC you're the X-man guy now.

Everyone knows he's the hotel concierge from Eyes Wide Shut. Or Boris from Goldeneye.

Really I saw him as the MC in Cabaret and he was incredible. Also saw him doing a cabaret night at the Edinburgh Fringe. Also went to his bar Club Cumming in NYC for drag karaoke. Yes, my wife is an Alan Cumming superfan, why do you ask?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Only Kindness posted:

"Gen Z won't even apply for jobs unless the salary is published"

Is this really just a Gen Z thing? I've never applied for a job without an explicit salary in the advert. I'm not wasting my time filling in your personalised application form if you're not even going to tell me if the money I'm earning is worth applying

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My bosses don't think so. They're fully hybrid / wfh now and probably never going back to full in office working.

Same. We've even downsized the London office rather than renew our lease.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Private Speech posted:

BBC is pushing COME BACK TO THE OFFICE IT'S HARMING ECONOMIC GROWTH, ALL BOSSES THINK SO hard just now.

Work life balance, fuel/emissions savings and better empirical productivity; what's that?

Clearly the issue is that people aren't wasting 5% of their lives commuting to work so that their bosses can stare over their shoulder and make sure they are 'busy' and feel comforted that work is happening.

IIRC, the radio headlines had a quote from a business guy going "many businesses still haven't adjusted (read - accepted) to working from home and this means we're still in a period of flux from this"

And then all the reporting was as you say, saying WORKING FROM HOME HARMING ECONOMY says boss.

I go into the office most days because I get unproductive and depressed working from home, but then it's 20 minutes cycle in for me. There's certainly downsides from working at home, but avoidable ones with some forethought and planning. And the money not being spent on leases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rarity posted:

Is this really just a Gen Z thing? I've never applied for a job without an explicit salary in the advert. I'm not wasting my time filling in your personalised application form if you're not even going to tell me if the money I'm earning is worth applying

I think it is probably a case of lovely employers and lovely employer cheerleaders noticing a behaviour and deciding that it is the damned kids these days.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
An enterprising society would instead see the reduced demand for office space as the perfect opportunity for redevelopment to fit the country's woefully unmet demand for housing

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Without doxing myself, my job is in resourcing for large scale enterprises

I thought this was a cool-sounding job about securing raw resources for processing. 'we require more vespene gas' etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Workers are a kind of perishable resource.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Office can gently caress off.

I met with the MD of a potential employer just before christmas and he was insistent that I'd have to go to the office in London once a month just for the sake of it. Said that one can't form connections without being face to face, which is such bullshit.

Until my department's christmas do last year, I had not been to my office for more than a year. The man I refer to as my work wife is a Romanian that I've never met and probably never will.

These MDs, CEOs etc have obviously never frequented social media (including SA here).

I've FB friends who I've known for years now and often forget we've not ever met in real life!

Loans for literally life-saving operations have changed hands (even if they did take 10 years to pay back LOL), free accommodation (people I hardly knew!) has been offered to me and gratefully received when I was in a very difficult situation, general support & help back & forth.

And one of the most interesting things to me is people from my last 'proper job' which I left in 2007 (and the one before that left in 1997) with whom I'm still in contact and have occasional messenger chats (once or twice a year) with are not the people I would have imagined from work - again people who were in many respects peripheral to me when office based.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Nilbop posted:

The Order of the Great Bunch of Lads.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Work Hybrid, only because it forces me to walk to work and too much noise at home to work full week.
Was going cabin fever crazy when we were under lockdown.
Work has max 10 people in, in a place for 200 of us.
So its great being in a quiet place, only the hum of the aircon.
Oh yeah, the air con saves me money heating or cooling my place too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I had a manager who insisted on being in my presence I would assume that is because they are a controlling dickhead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Everyone knows he's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P_qjLhtA74

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

Same although I have suffered the dreaded Large Range depending on "experience."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

the dreaded Large Range

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

happyhippy posted:

Work Hybrid, only because it forces me to walk to work and too much noise at home to work full week.
Was going cabin fever crazy when we were under lockdown.
Work has max 10 people in, in a place for 200 of us.
So its great being in a quiet place, only the hum of the aircon.
Oh yeah, the air con saves me money heating or cooling my place too.

Saving money on home heating is the best bit. I was in the office for the first time in over a year this week, though, and they've rationalised the desks. Going into the section where there just wasn't an office any more was like being in the Backrooms.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1618973548206514177?t=tEXR_ozo6N9BzKdQsCmDHg&s=19

Is there some sort of physical law whereby one Numbers Lady becoming increasingly hosed up means the other Numbers Lady becomes increasingly good ?

E: obviously it would be better if this particular example of insider trading wasn't so adjacent to anti-vaxx bullshit but hey

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 27, 2023

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1618973548206514177?t=tEXR_ozo6N9BzKdQsCmDHg&s=19

Is there some sort of physical law whereby one Numbers Lady becoming increasingly hosed up means the other Numbers Lady becomes increasingly good ?

E: obviously it would be better if this particular example of insider trading wasn't so adjacent to anti-vaxx bullshit but hey

I was honestly confused as to what the accusation is here, since Moderna were obvious rising stars in medtech well before covid, then I googled it and saw the sweetheart investment deal announced last month lol

funniest option is if this isnt even a new investment and just sunak deciding to take credit for the ongoing cambridge club collab they have with astrazeneca

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guardian columnists legit give me aneurysms.

Like where is the actual correlation between working women in their post 50s and Madonna who is loaded with money and a globally known musician? She's not exactly having to go through loving HR is she

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Madonna in your performance review it shows that you've been singing and dressing rather inappropriately in the workplace.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Madonna we appreciate your passion for getting Into the Groove but there are issues with the way you Express Yourself and you only stick to a task for 4 Minutes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Even though I'm unemployed currently, I feel so much better and am in no rush to re-enter the work force because gently caress all that poo poo and then some.
There's also that a massive ramge of jobs have become available to disabled people now they're able to do them from environments they can manage. To a huge amount of people it's been a massive lifeline and has meant the difference between living on the breadline and honest-to-god self determination, and now a bunch of cunts want to walk it back.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Honestly, I just wish I had enough capital to start my own business. Far fetched when I can't even afford a mortgage.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rarity posted:

Madonna we appreciate your passion for getting Into the Groove but there are issues with the way you Express Yourself and you only stick to a task for 4 Minutes.

So Solid Crew could only manage 21seconds each

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So Solid Crew all got made redundant cause their employer didn't want to engage with their collective bargaining

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pray for Nick everyone, he's been feeling poorly!

https://twitter.com/pressgazette/status/1618989918558232576

(That's not all he's been feeling)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Diet Crack posted:

Honestly, I just wish I had enough capital to start my own business. Far fetched when I can't even afford a mortgage.

You and the majority of late Gen-Xers onwards.

Me? I've chosen to confront it by embracing the Japanese philosophy of ukiyo-e. You know, making a salary comfortable enough to keep myself in whiskey, silken kimonos and pirated music in my rented apartment until the liver finally shuts down.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"It was also revealed that the former prime minister Boris Johnson had picked up an advance of more than £500,000 for his forthcoming memoir. That came as it emerged that Johnson could get more taxpayers’ money to cover extra legal support as the inquiry into his Partygate denials drags on."

Johnson’s latest entry in the register of members’ interests says he “received £510,000 as an advance on an upcoming book yet to be published”.

UNITED
G
R
I
F
T
DOM

e: to the tune of £222,000 to cover legal expenses...

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 27, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's also that a massive ramge of jobs have become available to disabled people now they're able to do them from environments they can manage. To a huge amount of people it's been a massive lifeline and has meant the difference between living on the breadline and honest-to-god self determination, and now a bunch of cunts want to walk it back.

Extremely mysterious that the CEOs who get their travel expenses paid-for by the company and claim that any time when they could feasibly be thinking about work, such as being chauffered to the office, is time they're actually working. Unlike mere plebs below that exalted level who apparently need to pay for the privilege of being at work.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Pray for Nick everyone, he's been feeling poorly!

https://twitter.com/pressgazette/status/1618989918558232576

(That's not all he's been feeling)

Mysteriously this illness will not affect his regular columns in the spectator, the Jewish chronicle, unherd or any of the other fascist dirt sheets.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Can't imagine the kind of cognitive dissonance that would allow me to write for both the Guardian and the Spectator, but that's why I'm not a professional newspaper columnist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lord Bob posted:

I went into the office for one day this week, for the first time in 3 years.

Yesterday I had a sore throat and today it's turning into a cough.

LOL

Lol please see my post history for a view of what's to come! :rip: