Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
At a current market cap of 8.8 billion, you'd be looking at a buyout offer of about 10 billion to get serious consideration.

If you did it as a leveraged buyout you might be able to get away with just putting 1 billion down, or 2000 black lotuses if you were able to sell them all for half a million each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Khanstant posted:

How much would it cost to buy Hasbro? Ordered a bunch of these repacks with good chances to get dual lands and black lotuses off ebay and if I get enough black lotusii, i might just trade them for the company.

$8.809B market cap, which is the implied value. But a takeover bid almost always requires a significantly higher per-share price, because you have to entice people to sell to you who are holding for a higher long-term price, dividends, etc. That's to take the company private.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Probably only about $5B to get 51% and vote in your own board of directors. EZPZ

That seems about right. This would mean you're a majority shareholder and can effectively dictate terms; but you can't totally disregard the remaining shareholders, so it's not a pure ownership.

flatluigi posted:

it seems like every single corporation got a bug up their rear end to lay off 5-10% of their workforce at the end of q4 this year and i wanna know what big brained rear end in a top hat convinced them all to do it

Roughly 20% loss of total stock market value. Companies have actually mostly good earnings (although, lol @ Intel today) but they all "anticipate" a downturn and are pre-emptively firing people to try to juice their stock prices back up. Remember most execs get most of their wealth from their stock, so they're more interested in restoring high stock prices than any other consideration.

This is part of how anticipation of a recession is what actually causes the recession. Note that we may not actually have a recession anyway, but laying off lots of people is a big driver. Also note that inflation is already back down to like 2% so it sure seems like the economic pain that the fed was reacting to is over, they can stop raising rates, companies should have easier access to cheap equity.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 27, 2023

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

flatluigi posted:

it seems like every single corporation got a bug up their rear end to lay off 5-10% of their workforce at the end of q4 this year and i wanna know what big brained rear end in a top hat convinced them all to do it

https://www.reddit.com/r/LateStageCapitalism/comments/10k92tp/hedge_fund_directly_responsible_for_recent_tech/

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That's some unsurprisingly infuriating poo poo. And I'm going to be out of a computer toucher job by the end of February.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i feel like this entire set they've just decided to push everything up. i haven't been following it close so maybe im imagining it but every single card has some static ability, has toxic and some additional ability and it's an uncommon

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
^
I'm getting loving tired of this that every card has eight lines of text and does a million things

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
That's like 3 lines of text man

Flying
Toxic 1
When you proliferate, return card to hand

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
power creep is such that a bland vanilla creature is unplayable at best. they've gotta have some kind of keyword at minimum. Wasn't a recent set the first time not a single creature in the set was just stats and nothing else?

I wonder how long until we get a vanilla 3/3 or 3/1 for 1 (probably green) mana.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

flatluigi posted:

It's called a capital strike, but if you want to excoriate one person in particular Larry Summers is always pushing this kind of regressive economic bullshit.

https://twitter.com/surlybassey/status/1618618085703045121?s=19

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 27, 2023

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's called a capital strike, but if you want to excoriate one person in particular Larry Summers is also pushing this kind of regressive economic bullshit.

The kind of top down government-business collusion that really cements a permanent working underclass. We inch ever closer to a return to corvee labor

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Captain Invictus posted:

power creep is such that a bland vanilla creature is unplayable at best. they've gotta have some kind of keyword at minimum. Wasn't a recent set the first time not a single creature in the set was just stats and nothing else?

The last vanilla creature was printed in Strixhaven, there's none in Standard at the moment (which is a first)

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Strong Sauce posted:

i feel like this entire set they've just decided to push everything up. i haven't been following it close so maybe im imagining it but every single card has some static ability, has toxic and some additional ability and it's an uncommon

I feel like they'll often do this these days. Where Toxic does something powerful on it's own, but then also stuff will trigger off of it, (corrupted) and other stuff will enhance it (proliferate) and so in the past, the stuff with Toxic would cost 'more', since it's doing so much more, whereas nowadays, it will just cost the same, or less.

Like in the old days of Astral Slide, the stuff with cycling would cost slightly more, because it had cycling, so then getting the synergies set up came at a premium but were worth more than the sum of their parts.

I dunno, maybe I'm talking bullshit or over valuing it. But like how much would any of the stuff with Toxic cost if it didn't have Toxic? I feel like in every case, the same?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yeah the design around proliferate specifically in this set seems to be that it's worth between 0-1 mana

lotta cards that would still be playable without it just have it as a rider. its cool experimentation imo

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
They can push proliferate a bit for limited because there are only oil counters on creatures, which seem slightly weaker than regular power/toughness counters.

This has the side effect of making them more playable in standard.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Khanstant posted:

How much would it cost to buy Hasbro? Ordered a bunch of these repacks with good chances to get dual lands and black lotuses off ebay and if I get enough black lotusii, i might just trade them for the company.

wait what? Why would someone repack cards worth potentially tens of thousands of dollars for you to buy at any even remotely reasonable price?

That just sounds like a scam, you'd never be able to prove the repack them in a way where you could even get anything worth any money.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the full spoiler has me believing that the oil decks will actually be real in limited, which rules

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

studio mujahideen posted:

the full spoiler has me believing that the oil decks will actually be real in limited, which rules

OIL!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I'll always be a tad bitter that Bitterblossom was banned on inception of the format because they were terrified of standard faeries, and by the time they realized it wouldn't ever have been a problem in Modern and unbanned it it was too late for the card to even be playable.

I played against it once in Modern. On goblins with Legion Loyalists. They landed one game 1, I was a bit surprised. Game 2 they slam one on T2 and another on T3. They couldn't answer why they not only didn't side it out, but also slammed them instead of playing literally anything else.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

wait what? Why would someone repack cards worth potentially tens of thousands of dollars for you to buy at any even remotely reasonable price?

That just sounds like a scam, you'd never be able to prove the repack them in a way where you could even get anything worth any money.

I’m guessing that was a joke.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TotalHell posted:

I’m guessing that was a joke.

Ah ok, that would definitely make way more sense. Haven't been getting enough sleep lately rip

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
is All Will Be One (the card) legit or just a meme

e: wait nvm i misread the card to say it deals damage equal to the number of counters on the permanent, not equal to the number you put on it

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

is All Will Be One (the card) legit or just a meme

e: wait nvm i misread the card to say it deals damage equal to the number of counters on the permanent, not equal to the number you put on it

It’s cool, it combos with some weirdshit cards I’ve never heard of.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

It's weird the all will be one is a red card, but red is the one faction that isn't going along with Norn's plan (from my limited understanding of the story)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Realmbreaker connects to our world and the US military invades Phyrexia

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

snyprmag posted:

It's weird the all will be one is a red card, but red is the one faction that isn't going along with Norn's plan (from my limited understanding of the story)

there are red phyrexians (all the oil guys for example), the color is split (like white)

from the vibes I don't like the set at all, it's like Torment all over again

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

studio mujahideen posted:

Finally, the real reason we're invading Phyrexia comes to light.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

without vanilla creatures where are you going to weave in flavor text that isn't about the major plot but about giving a better feel for the small details of the world

Edit: I still think about this one, years later

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I've never played with a Limited set that uses poison counters as a major mechanic so I look forward to being super upset when I die on turn 5 to toxic creatures and proliferate.

Reprint Leeches, WOTC

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One hedge fund making demands is not "why companies laid people off." It's just one of many factors pushing companies to lay people off. TCI in particular doesn't solely wield this kind of power across the whole tech world.

Tech companies always react to a drop in stock price and anticipation of a recession with big layoffs. It's the done thing, basically institutionalized habit. Especially companies that spend a lot of money on product development, because they can cut product development and coast on their current product lines for a few quarters without tanking the company's long-term value. Also many of these big tech companies are sitting on piles of cash, which they invest, and with overall market losing 20% last year, they saw their cash reserves crash and want to restore them.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

In triple scars draft, you wanted to be either all in infectious or not really bother with it. I remember drafting some mixed decks that would get the opponent to six poison counters and six life and couldn't finish them off in either fashion.
Will be interesting to see how it plays it out this time.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

snyprmag posted:

In triple scars draft, you wanted to be either all in infectious or not really bother with it. I remember drafting some mixed decks that would get the opponent to six poison counters and six life and couldn't finish them off in either fashion.
Will be interesting to see how it plays it out this time.

Toxic creatures still do regular damage and corrupted gives some incentive to have some poison in your deck at least

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yo realtalk, modern with no banlist would be nothing but hogaak, kci and one dude playing boros burn

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Goa Tse-tung posted:

there are red phyrexians (all the oil guys for example), the color is split (like white)

from the vibes I don't like the set at all, it's like Torment all over again

the red phyrexians are urabrasks force, who are fighting against the other phyrexians because theyre the red guys so they dont like elesh norns plan. all will be one is red because the effect is red. the downside of designing cards to fit into story like this is they cant always have both story resonance and cards that make sense.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Silhouette posted:

Yo realtalk, modern with no banlist would be nothing but hogaak, kci and one dude playing boros burn

I would simply turn Hogaak or KCI into an elk.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

the red phyrexians are urabrasks force, who are fighting against the other phyrexians because theyre the red guys so they dont like elesh norns plan. all will be one is red because the effect is red. the downside of designing cards to fit into story like this is they cant always have both story resonance and cards that make sense.

I remember a similar issue with the card True Love's Kiss from Eldraine. Love (and emotions in general) are a very red sort of thing, but because the card was supposed to get rid of artifacts and enchantments (so you could use it to break all of the fairy tale curses throughout the set), they had to make it white instead, since red isn't supposed to get rid of enchantments.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Silhouette posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/kanister-s-no-banlist-modern-subscriber-tournament

KCI is nowhere near that power level

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yo that format looks loving awesome

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

sit on my Facebook posted:

I think the eternal formats could benefit from a big unbanning reset every few years. Just let everything be legal and see what happens to the degeneracy in a format no one has actually every played, and then rebalance from there. Let the formats actually evolve, instead of iterating on old bannings that may have been superseded in tech over the years.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

Does it? It looks like Dark Depths + Oko Artifacts, and then a lot of worse nonsense people were trying out. It looks like a great theorycraft tournament that would likely crystalize into a poo poo format to me.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I’d rather play against MH block constructed decks for the rest of my life than play against KCI again lol, I hated that deck so much.

I know it had a good WR but it never felt broken to me, just aggravating. Sometimes cards should be banned just for being annoying imo.

That being said, it was cool that a deck like KCI could exist next to decks like Humans or Shadow or Tron. One of the strengths of Magic imo is how weird decks can get while still working in the rules. Maybe it shouldn’t be banned idk.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 27, 2023