Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pillowpants posted:

I got the worst yearly review of my life this week, and this is after helping with the supervisory duties over the holiday season to take things off his plate. They say what I got is "meets expectations," but on a scale of 1-100, it's failing.

That said, last year I got an amazing review and all I did during that time was yell at people to vote.

Reviews are all bullshit and made to justify whatever conclusions management has already come to. Corporate put in a wage freeze? Literally everyone in a group does "below average" compared to their peers despite that being mathematically impossible.

Edit: holy poo poo, how the hell did I end up on the first page, start reading it thinking these were new posts and replied to a 10+ year old post like it was fresh? :negative: I'm tired yo.

I wondered why there were all these new posts people posters I didn't recognize.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It’s a special kind of drained to reply to a page one post in an 800 page thread.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
To be fair the bullshit that is performance reviews is a subject that has probably come up on 150 of those 800 pages

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I’m glad we don’t have performance reviews (outside of management levels) in Australian retail.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If it makes you feel better the discussion of record being bullshit also happens this time of year in the corporate thread.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funktastic posted:

Another day another conference call telling people not to open the safe take $3000 out and deposit it to someone’s bank account bc some rando on the phone said they talked to the dm and they said it was ok

Ahaha, amazing. (I think we might be in the same district because we also got that warning.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I had a guy pull up and ask just for water, and if wasting my time with that wasn't bad enough, proceeded to go on a 10+ minute discussion about his life's problems about his daughter and her crackhead friends. I wanted to scream.

In positive news, starting next week I will be getting my third day off :toot:

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

I feel 'lucky' that all my reviews are based on vaguely decently measured metrics.

Process X items earns you Y hours. Clocking in and out gets you a total of Z hours. Put Y over Z see where your percentage falls. Bam there is your productivity.
Also nice cause they do measure it monthly instead of daily or weekly which can vary due to workflow so it should average out to something resembling your actual work rate.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Amazon Chime posted:

Person: @Alkydere: Line 2

Me: @Person: Yes, Singles Line 2 exists. Is something up with it?

Person: Its blue light (line full light) is blinking.

Me: Um, no, Line 2 is not full. Trust me, it goes directly above my desk. I'm very aware of what Line 2 does and doesn't do.

Person: Oh, I must be seeing another line.

Me: the adjacent light for the corkscrew to the downstairs pack department is on as they're over buffer. For reference 1) you cannot see the light for line 2 as that divert had its light smashed off by a flying tote years ago and has never been replaced 2) A backed up line is not my responsibility, that's the responsibility of the receiving department. A JAM is my responsibility which is an orange light.

Anyways, came in tonight expecting an easy shift since the warehouse was empty due to a sportsball game. Boy was I wrong: it only took a skeleton crew to create a massive clusterfuck. The system determining what does and does not get picked out of storage to ship refused to pick Tranship orders for hours, instead over-picking one of the pack departments. Then it reversed and picked all the Trans orders in a massive rush while under-picking everything else.

Honestly it was rather relaxing. It was quickly apparent it was a "let it burn" night and my radio was broken so I got to ignore everyone anyways.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I know there's some chicken insanity going on, but does that translate into why every pasta shelf I see is empty? Damnit I just want my veggie noodles!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know there's some chicken insanity going on, but does that translate into why every pasta shelf I see is empty? Damnit I just want my veggie noodles!

Eggs are so overpriced priced I am thinking of asking my boss if I could just buy some of the egg wash we use for our tenders so I can bread chicken at home. And I was planning on getting some lasagna noodles tonight, hoping my neck of the woods hasn't had the pasta raided.

I guess its a perk that I don't work at a grocery store anymore, don't have to hear about the price hikes. Now I get to hear people complain that they have to pay 3 bucks to have 2 other people cook and hand package food for them

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I kinda like kvetching with customers about this bullshit. I like to remind people that capitalism is taking us for a ride. I think I've mentioned before that I'm in a conservative area but even the most maga of chuds can see that private ownership of food* is easily abused (even if you can't convince them outright that it's bad in every way.)

it's the same with the recent drop in produce quality: one thing leads to another and you're talking about regional climate change and the destruction of fragile ecosystems and people in their maga hats are like :hmmyes:

*most things

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Produce is such a shitshow right now. Like, I can’t even get decent lettuce to make sandwiches with. It’s stupid.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Was sent to pack this week because everything's hosed up, and enough of the gently caress-ups are coming from control centers outside our building it's easier to send me to help pack out the bullshit then have me do my usual job of trying to tamp down on the bullshit on the sorter.

And I have to say: goddamn, Amazon is shipping a fuckton of Plan B pills these days. It's great that we offer the service but it really sucks that its come to this for a lot of people.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

Was sent to pack this week because everything's hosed up, and enough of the gently caress-ups are coming from control centers outside our building it's easier to send me to help pack out the bullshit then have me do my usual job of trying to tamp down on the bullshit on the sorter.

And I have to say: goddamn, Amazon is shipping a fuckton of Plan B pills these days. It's great that we offer the service but it really sucks that its come to this for a lot of people.

Something something murcah

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

I am gaining even more of a hatred for customers who repeat 'this is against the Consumer Law' like it's some sort of magic invocation that will let them pull a fast one. I'm sorry sir, but someone (surely not you) putting some party-size bags of chips in the same spot on the shelf as the currently-on-special single-serve bags does not mean we have to sell you the party size bags for that price or it's 'false advertising'. The national supermarket chain is in fact aware of this stupid gambit and specifies everything down to the pack size on the shelf ticket.

See also people who ask me, the shop floor/bakery pleb, 'how can you be out of eggs/hash browns/frozen chips?' all incredulous like this isn't a known issue. I don't mind going and asking relevant people if they know if/when we might be getting something (even if the answer is usually :shrug: maybe this afternoon or tomorrow?) if someone asks like a normal human being, but turns out it's pretty easy for us to not have something when lots of people want to buy it and there's very little coming in to sell.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I haven't had the chance to actually do it yet, but if someone tells me that something is against the consumer law, I am going to ask them to pull it up and show me. Even if they were able to come up with some bullshit that looks legit, there's nothing I can do about it anyway, so they're just gonna have to contact the corporate office about it and be their problem.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jingleheimer posted:

I haven't had the chance to actually do it yet, but if someone tells me that something is against the consumer law, I am going to ask them to pull it up and show me. Even if they were able to come up with some bullshit that looks legit, there's nothing I can do about it anyway, so they're just gonna have to contact the corporate office about it and be their problem.

"You'll have to contact our legal department about that. By policy I can now no longer interact with you. Have a nice day.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Jingleheimer posted:

lmao

It's guaranteed that the more someone invokes "consumer law" in a store to get their way, the less they actually know about it.

Maybe it's different in the US or whatever, but at least here in Denmark no major chain or franchise is going to dare tangle with the basic consumer protections that are established on both a national and usually also EU level with murderous penalties for breaking them.

It's like when someone asks me if a product is certified for use in Denmark. Yes, of course it loving is, why would we have illegal items openly displayed on the store shelves? loving morons every one of them.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

Maybe it's different in the US or whatever, but at least here in Denmark no major chain or franchise is going to dare tangle with the basic consumer protections that are established on both a national and usually also EU level with murderous penalties for breaking them.

Basic consumer protections in the USA are extremely weak, to the point where the Consumer Product Safety Commission didn't even have the power to force an involuntary recall until like 10 yrs ago (and even now is super-limited). We literally had IKEA furniture killing children and no legal mechanism to force a recall. YMMV at state level, but typically they'll be so limited and the penalties so minor for breaking them that it's worth it to the company to just eat the fine. At a store level, you're going to be referred up to a manager, to another manager, to a number for a district/regional manager who isn't at the store, who will tell you to contact their legal department's hotline, and by now you've been complaining to people for a week so you're fed up and just move on with life. Maybe if you are really mad, you contact your state's enforcement division, whose automated phone line tells you that the wait list for your case to be handled is approximately 113 years because they're staffed by a single intern and an elderly parrot qualified as a notary.

quote:

"You'll have to contact our legal department about that. By policy I can now no longer interact with you. Have a nice day.

Exactly.
"Hey, that new stove I bought zapped me when I touched it."
"This call is concluded. Please contact our legal department at [number]. *CLICK*"

Sundae fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 27, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sundae posted:

At a store level, you're going to be referred up to a manager, to another manager, to a number for a district/regional manager who isn't at the store, who will tell you to contact their legal department's hotline, and by now you've been complaining to people for a week so you're fed up and just move on with life.

You might be underestimating how many people have a lot of time on their hands and complaining as their favorite hobby to fill it with.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

gently caress

there should be a Make Work program for Karens where you give them a list of your grievances and they call the people who wronged you so they can scream and yell as much as they want

I feel like I'm sitting on a goldmine here

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

an app called "Your Outside Voice" or something

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rainbow Knight posted:

gently caress

there should be a Make Work program for Karens where you give them a list of your grievances and they call the people who wronged you so they can scream and yell as much as they want

There used to be a goon company that sort of did this! They would get on the phone with your cable / internet company and negotiate lower costs for you, and they charged you a % of the amount saved.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Generated Wizards posted:

See also people who ask me, the shop floor/bakery pleb, 'how can you be out of eggs/hash browns/frozen chips?' all incredulous like this isn't a known issue. I don't mind going and asking relevant people if they know if/when we might be getting something (even if the answer is usually :shrug: maybe this afternoon or tomorrow?) if someone asks like a normal human being, but turns out it's pretty easy for us to not have something when lots of people want to buy it and there's very little coming in to sell.

I flat out tell people "just because I order it doesn't mean they send it"

shuts them up most of the time

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
like, what would you like me to do, drive to the DC four hours away and demand a product that they list out of stock?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

like, what would you like me to do, drive to the DC four hours away and demand a product that they list out of stock?

I mean, that's 4 hours, each way, likely paid on the clock where you're not at the store dealing with the idiot if that were to magically happen.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Alkydere posted:

I mean, that's 4 hours, each way, likely paid on the clock where you're not at the store dealing with the idiot if that were to magically happen.

like hell, I have fifty five hours of poo poo to do that I gotta make happen in forty

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao

It's guaranteed that the more someone invokes "consumer law" in a store to get their way, the less they actually know about it.

It's like when someone asks me if a product is certified for use in Denmark. Yes, of course it loving is, why would we have illegal items openly displayed on the store shelves? loving morons every one of them.

The consumer law in question is the Australian consumer law, which doesn't have particularly strong penalties for breaking it and it does get broken fairly often (mostly in terms of refunds/exchanges or information practices), but 'some rear end in a top hat put this product in the wrong spot so legally it's that price now' is definitely not in there.

I'm not asking these morons to provide evidence that they're legally entitled to their Twisties because that would involve continuing to talk to them, I have the privilege of kicking it up to the supervisor and letting him explain that 90 grams is not 270 grams.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

gently caress

A Karen Mill, if you will. Alternatively; Hire a Karen.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Generated Wizards posted:

The consumer law in question is the Australian consumer law, which doesn't have particularly strong penalties for breaking it and it does get broken fairly often (mostly in terms of refunds/exchanges or information practices), but 'some rear end in a top hat put this product in the wrong spot so legally it's that price now' is definitely not in there.

I'm not asking these morons to provide evidence that they're legally entitled to their Twisties because that would involve continuing to talk to them, I have the privilege of kicking it up to the supervisor and letting him explain that 90 grams is not 270 grams.

Australian consumer law is actually pretty good, and the ACCC is pretty litigious - they’ve taken both Apple and Valve by the balls in the past.

My rule of thumb for this sort of thing is, if someone randomly dropped something in the wrong spot or the area was just untidy and it should be bleedingly obvious if the customer actually looked at the ticket, then I’m not doing poo poo. If it’s our fault - like something was flat out filled in the wrong spot then I’ll use my discretion and honor the ticket depending on the situation.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

The Lord Bude posted:

My rule of thumb for this sort of thing is, if someone randomly dropped something in the wrong spot or the area was just untidy and it should be bleedingly obvious if the customer actually looked at the ticket, then I’m not doing poo poo. If it’s our fault - like something was flat out filled in the wrong spot then I’ll use my discretion and honor the ticket depending on the situation.

My rule of thumb was similar to this. Exceptions when you knew the label had been moved in front of the other product and you could see them on the camera doing that. That resulted in asking them kindly to leave.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

The Lord Bude posted:

Australian consumer law is actually pretty good, and the ACCC is pretty litigious - they’ve taken both Apple and Valve by the balls in the past.

Yeah, if it's an honest mistake on the customer's part or clearly out fault for mislabelling, sure. If it looks completely out of place and costs three times as much as everything in the same section of shelving, lmao no. If it's been a long day and I just do not give a gently caress, also sure, store profits are worth notably less than my blood pressure.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

after years of working nights I'm now being forced to work at 5am. this sucks.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
What’s worse is when you have to work opens and closes in the same week. Makes it impossible to set a proper sleep schedule.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Coasterphreak posted:

What’s worse is when you have to work opens and closes in the same week. Makes it impossible to set a proper sleep schedule.

I did this for a while constantly flipping from opens to closes every two weeks before finally going to the scheduling manager and telling him to just loving pick one.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A big thing that led me to quitting my last job was the fact that every solitary week they would have me work 1 or more opening shifts. I'd have to stay up till 10 pm to close, get a day off to "adjust", except not really cause that same night I'll need to have already go to bed at 7 pm to wake up at 3 am. Then go right back to staying up till 10 pm.

E: Also while doing this they would cut me a day, sometimes even a day and a half. I've had weeks where I lost a day, and then when I would come in at 4 am I would leave by 8 am.

Leal fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 28, 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
gently caress that last part, I don’t show up for less than 6 unless it’s my idea. Not when I’m sinking an hour and a half or more getting up, ready, commuting, etc plus answering phone calls and texts off the clock.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

You might be underestimating how many people have a lot of time on their hands and complaining as their favorite hobby to fill it with.

See also: QCS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

Fair enough.

quote:

See also: QCS

Yeah, definitely fair enough.