Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That secretary could certainly Rockefeller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ericwhiteback/status/1617946436272033792

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Is that a screenshot from a video game ?

Also, the name Papi Punk is truly blursed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lady Disdain posted:

Is that a screenshot from a video game ?

Also, the name Papi Punk is truly blursed.

Yeah, those are tanks from the Halo games.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh poo poo

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, those are tanks from the Halo games.

It's all Halo references.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

If you track down the full article, it doesn't. It's a form of metal with a really low melting point that they can use magnetic fields to heat up and liquefy, then will re-harden when they turn the magnetic fields off. The re-forming into a Lego man is after they've put it back in the Lego man mold, just to demonstrate that it can be reused. It's intended to be used it situations where you want to coat something with metal but can't make it too hot, like in medical procedures. There's not actually any robotics involved, other than maybe whatever's moving the magnetic fields around. The pop-sci articles are being extremely clickbaity and referring to the metal Lego guy as a "robot".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/Kholdseid/status/1618391264499732481?s=20&t=6GsCPaI09QlqbTblnqFmoA

This is a 4chan bot alright.

But also one created by a trans programmer.

https://twitter.com/SpinyDykeLizard/status/1618478789914431490?s=20&t=6GsCPaI09QlqbTblnqFmoA

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That first sentence makes very little sense, to me.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Jan 27, 2023

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That first sentence makes very little sense, to me.

Breaking News is when news has just come out and people are sharing it.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

A cut trading card is basically just a signed baseball card. But Babe Ruth isn't signing any new autographs any time soon, so they find other stuff he signed, like his 1912 apartment lease or something, then they cut the signature part out and attach it to the card. In this case, they attached the wrong signature to the card.

If this sounds like a scam to you, then you're probably too smart to buy a 2022 signed special edition baseball card of a player who retired in 1935.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Inceltown posted:

Breaking News is when news has just come out and people are sharing it.

BREAKING NEWS is not a sentence by any definition of sentence known to mortal man.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tobermory posted:

A cut trading card is basically just a signed baseball card. But Babe Ruth isn't signing any new autographs any time soon, so they find other stuff he signed, like his 1912 apartment lease or something, then they cut the signature part out and attach it to the card. In this case, they attached the wrong signature to the card.

If this sounds like a scam to you, then you're probably too smart to buy a 2022 signed special edition baseball card of a player who retired in 1935.

Ah, OK. Last time I had any interest in collectible collectibles "cut" was just the antonym of "uncut" as in a whole dang sheet.

Now explain "pulled"?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Ah, OK. Last time I had any interest in collectible collectibles "cut" was just the antonym of "uncut" as in a whole dang sheet.

Now explain "pulled"?

"Pulled" is because the cards are sold gacha-style, where you don't know what you're purchasing until you open the box. In this case a "pull" means that somebody spent way too much money on a box of baseball cards, opened it, and was briefly excited that they got one of the good cards. The stamp collecting equivalent would be those crazies who hang around estate sales looking for old mail still in the original envelopes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tobermory posted:

"Pulled" is because the cards are sold gacha-style, where you don't know what you're purchasing until you open the box. In this case a "pull" means that somebody spent way too much money on a box of baseball cards, opened it, and was briefly excited that they got one of the good cards. The stamp collecting equivalent would be those crazies who hang around estate sales looking for old mail still in the original envelopes.

OK to me "pulled" means "taken off the market" which is (now) obviously the opposite of what happened. They should just say "found" SMHD.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Urgent public health warning issued over lost radioactive capsule in Western Australia

A missing radioactive capsule lost somewhere between Perth and a Pilbara mine site over an area of 1,400 kilometres has sparked an urgent health warning.

In an emergency press conference on Friday afternoon, WA's chief health officer urged people to stay away from the capsule if they see it because of its radioactive properties.

The capsule is tiny – 6mm diameter by 8mm high.

The radioactive gauges are commonly used in mining. It went missing from a truck sometime after January 10.

The radioactive capsule could be anywhere along the more than 1,400 km journey between Malaga, in Perth and Newman in WA's remote north.

Any motorists who have travelled along the Great Northern Highway between Newman and Perth since January 10 should check their tyres, in case the capsule has become lodged in them.

Chief Health Officer Andy Robertson said the capsule was lost while it was being transported, somewhere between a mine site north of Newman and Malaga, north east of Perth.

It is believed the capsule fell through the gap left by a bolt hole, after the bolt was dislodged when a container collapsed as a result of vibrations during the trip.

Authorities are searching Great Northern Highway in a desperate effort to find the capsule, which is the size of a 10-cent piece.

DFES said the capsule "cannot be weaponised" but are still urging caution due to potentially serious health consequences.

Radiation equivalent to 10 X-rays an hour
Mr Robertson said it does emit a "reasonable" amount of radiation.

He says the radiation emitted is equivalent to receiving 10 X-rays in one hour or the amount of natural radiation a body is exposed to over a year.

"It emits both beta rays and gamma rays so if you have it close to you, you could either end up with skin damage including skin burns," he said.

"And if you have it long enough near you, it could cause acute radiation sickness.

"Now that will take a period of time but obviously we are recommending people not be close to it or hang on to it."

Mr Robertson advised anyone who finds the capsule not to go near it, and to rather call DFES on 133 337.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services is leading search efforts, coordinating a team involving the Department of Health, WA Police, and other subject matter experts.

DFES Country North chief superintendent David Gill said there would be "challenges" in locating such a small object.

"The start and finish of the transportation from the mine site north of Newman, and the transport depot in Perth, are among some of the locations that are searched, and being searched yesterday, but the capsule remains unfound," he said.

"There are challenges here. It is 1,400 kilometres between the mine site … to the north of Newman, and Perth."

DFES have issued a warning for people to stay at least five metres away from it if they see something that resembles the capsule.

People are urged to avoid coming into contact with it, and immediately contact DFES.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-27/radioactive-capsule-lost-in-wa-emergency-public-health-warning/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tobermory posted:

Who is selling the grab bags? The stamp collection comparison is a bit unfair since a high quality penny black is a high quality penny black, nobody is, to my knowledge, finding old penny blacks and then putting them in "pictures of Queen Victoria" gachas.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

The grab bags come from the card manufacturer, in this case Panini. They sell their cards in very expensive blind boxes. The boxes are targeted at people who collect the cards as investments, rather than looking at them or doing whatever other things one can do with baseball cards. The supposed value of each card is based on its rarity. The 1/1 in the headline means that there was precisely one of those cards in the entire production run, making it ultra-rare and theoretically very valuable. Of course, the rarity of each card (as well as the overall supply of cards) is carefully controlled by the manufacturer to artificially inflate the values.

I only brought up stamps because 3D Megadoodoo mentioned seeing uncut sheets. A better example might be Magic cards, if they existed in a world where nobody actually played MTG and people only wanted the cards as a retirement portfolio, and also if the booster packs sold for $2k a piece. It makes more sense to think of it as a gambling/investment scam, rather than part of a hobby. Panini is also big into NFTs, which should give you some idea of their target market.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/joshua_boe/status/1618814247160647680?s=46&t=3datE4wsO_Wt5-8lYPiuAQ

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Huh neat.
AAP says it's Caesium-137
This says eating some blue is highly effective for Cs-137 contamination.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Croccers posted:

Huh neat.
AAP says it's Caesium-137
This says eating some blue is highly effective for Cs-137 contamination.

30 year half life, this thing is going to be deadly for a long time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tobermory posted:

The grab bags come from the card manufacturer, in this case Panini. They sell their cards in very expensive blind boxes. The boxes are targeted at people who collect the cards as investments, rather than looking at them or doing whatever other things one can do with baseball cards. The supposed value of each card is based on its rarity. The 1/1 in the headline means that there was precisely one of those cards in the entire production run, making it ultra-rare and theoretically very valuable. Of course, the rarity of each card (as well as the overall supply of cards) is carefully controlled by the manufacturer to artificially inflate the values.

I only brought up stamps because 3D Megadoodoo mentioned seeing uncut sheets. A better example might be Magic cards, if they existed in a world where nobody actually played MTG and people only wanted the cards as a retirement portfolio, and also if the booster packs sold for $2k a piece. It makes more sense to think of it as a gambling/investment scam, rather than part of a hobby. Panini is also big into NFTs, which should give you some idea of their target market.
So a stamp analogy would be a private company printing limited numbers of stamp-shaped objects and some of them come with a tiny bit of a famous letter taped to them and also the "stamps" aren't actually legal to post letters with.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Splicer posted:

So a stamp analogy would CTO FDCs.

e: eh, not really, but anyway

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Galway brother and sister who threw 32 eggs at their aunt have shown 'no remorse' - as they're fined in court

quote:

A judge has said that a brother and sister who threw up to 32 eggs at their aunt during a five minute long ‘egg assault’ have shown ‘no remorse’ and ‘no apology’ for their actions.

At Gort District Court on Thursday, Judge Mary Larkin convicted and fined brother and sister, Cathal Connors, 26, and Michelle Connors, 21, both of Fannaun, Peterswell, Co Galway, concerning the egg assault on their aunt, Mary Fahy outside their home at around 6.30pm on October 17th 2019.

Judge Larkin fined each €500 for the assault on Mary Fahy and fined each an additional €500 for the criminal damage of Ms Fahy’s Ford Kuga.

In evidence, Mary Fahy told the court previously said that her face got 'banged' and ‘bashed’ with the eggs thrown by her nephew and niece on the date.

Mrs Fahy told the court: “It was bang, bang, bang, bang. I thought they were stones and they continued for five minutes or thereabouts and banging eggs off my face.” Mrs Fahy told the court that her niece and nephew threw “a dozen and a score of eggs” at her.

The Field 2: Eggsacting Revenge

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Splicer posted:

So a stamp analogy would be a private company printing limited numbers of stamp-shaped objects and some of them come with a tiny bit of a famous letter taped to them and also the "stamps" aren't actually legal to post letters with.

Except they ran out of famous letter and instead its a fragment of a famous-letter-writer's grocery list.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nobody throws eggs at someone for five minutes straight without a pretty good reason.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Topless Church Rampage is probably a cheaply made tittler run on cable television in the late 90's

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ultrafilter posted:

Nobody throws eggs at someone for five minutes straight without a pretty good reason.

It appears Ms. Fahy is involved in a dispute over farmland (sigh) with her brother, who wants the land, and her sister, who owns the land.
It sounds like a silly stereotype, but Irish farmers really do go absolutely psycho over farmland. As far as I can tell, shootings in Ireland are either gangland stuff, or farmers shooting family members over inheritances. I can think of at least three recent cases where whole families ended up dead over land disputes.

Getting egged is very much on the lower scale of possible attacks. That said, a full five minutes of getting egged in the face through a car window was probably on the rougher end of the Getting Egged scale.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Jan 27, 2023

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/man-dies-after-being-crushed-by-telescopic-urinal-in-londons-west-end-12796833

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Tobermory posted:

Well, to be fair to Panini, Babe Ruth cards with George Brett's cut signature probably are ultra-rare.

Side note: why are they bothering to cut Brett's signature ? Wiktionary says he's still alive, and presumably therefore still capable of signing baseball cards.

e: also, thanks for clarifying what the gently caress the original tweet had to do with panini; that bit was a real head-scratcher.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This was a lot more interesting when I misread it as a headless woman in a topless rampage.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

ultrafilter posted:

And a lot of loving eggs too, does the family have a poultry farm?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pookah posted:

It appears Ms. Fahy is involved in a dispute over farmland (sigh) with her brother, who wants the land, and her sister, who owns the land.
It sounds like a silly stereotype, but Irish farmers really do go absolutely psycho over farmland. As far as I can tell, shootings in Ireland are either gangland stuff, or farmers shooting family members over inheritances. I can think of at least three recent cases where whole families ended up dead over land disputes.

Getting egged is very much on the lower scale of possible attacks. That said, a full five minutes of getting egged in the face through a car window was probably on the rougher end of the Getting Egged scale.

😬

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

That's more than 9 seconds between eggs. If you get hit with an egg and then stand there for 10 seconds waiting for the next egg, and then do that 30 more times, I don't know what to tell you.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Cork man sounds like the goat man's nemesis.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's more than 9 seconds between eggs. If you get hit with an egg and then stand there for 10 seconds waiting for the next egg, and then do that 30 more times, I don't know what to tell you.

And the talent agent says, "that's a hell of an act. What do you call it?" The man replies, "the eggristocrats!"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Banshees of Inisheggin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Tobermory posted:

I thought baseball cards died in the late 80s/early 90s when Topps went ballistic and flooded the market and everybody hosed off.