Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Farg posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1618323298135203840?t=_U3vxawP42t5edIRWmsnjA&s=19

drat guess the amazon show is doing pretty well. renewed through season 3 and another show announced

Honestly good for them. They made a thing and they largely own it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I was looking more for a style guide along the lines of "capitalize This, don't capitalize that" and "numbers should be spelled out until 100, unless they are modifiers, then +4" and "don't capitalize the d in 1d6", etc.

Not how to write, but how to format.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

I was looking more for a style guide along the lines of "capitalize This, don't capitalize that" and "numbers should be spelled out until 100, unless they are modifiers, then +4" and "don't capitalize the d in 1d6", etc.

Not how to write, but how to format.

I did some proofreading and editing for FFG a while ago and theirs is "Chicago Manual of Style, plus these that the IP holder wants" which is property-specific stuff like "stormtrooper is not capitalized."

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

homullus posted:

I did some proofreading and editing for FFG a while ago and theirs is "Chicago Manual of Style, plus these that the IP holder wants" which is property-specific stuff like "stormtrooper is not capitalized."

Yeah, I've seen some RPG-specific ones before in the last thirty years, I just can't find any now and I'd love to find a good one to use as an example for something. The whole "is it player character or Player Character", etc.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

CitizenKeen posted:

Yeah, I've seen some RPG-specific ones before in the last thirty years, I just can't find any now and I'd love to find a good one to use as an example for something. The whole "is it player character or Player Character", etc.

I capitalize things that are discrete and important Game Mechanics, but that's just in my personal text documents and not anything for publishing. If I ever do publish something, it's going to be a mess, even with an editor.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Pvt.Scott posted:

I capitalize things that are discrete and important Game Mechanics, but that's just in my personal text documents and not anything for publishing. If I ever do publish something, it's going to be a mess, even with an editor.

Well, 95% of the stuff the industry publishes is a mess.

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

M. Night Skymall posted:

Mwangi Expanse is a great book, so many cool ideas.

it's deadass a book that is frustrating (in a good way!) because i don't think the things it does should feel so Exceptional. it shouldn't feel wild to me that a game be so invested in, for instance, showing how everyone (not just humans) have different cultures and are part of the world around them. also a few fun examples of how deities don't just have one face, and different groups see themselves in the gods. and in the opening pages being really invested in trying to drive home to readers that 'this isn't some exotic new land of discovery, it's a different place thats full of people who have always been here. don't be a freak.'

i don't even mean to act like paizo is perfect or anything, its just that i think something on the level of mwangi expanse should be the baseline hurdle of what rpgs should be on a sensitivity level. :hai:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The thing I remember about 2e is getting more and more frustrated with it, because it didn't support heroic fantasy at all. Gaming culture has changed a lot, the thing about AD&D and 2e is that a lot of Gamemasters took cues to be pedantic pricks to the players and heavily punish anything that wasn't hyper-tactical or magical. You would get these cool locations or supplements like Al-Qadim but the system was so wack and fell apart so badly after level 8 or so that you never got to really experience it beyond DM fiat.

It actually worked really well for Dark Sun, though. Like the setting and the rules meshed up nicely there. Any kind of heroic fantasy just bit the big one under AD&D and 2e.

I played one game of 3e (after I blind bought the player's and dungeon master's guide, alas) and absolutely HATED it. Just hated how it played.

4e is when they got me back, because although it isn't particularly "real" you can do everything you want to do from heroic fantasy. I was so sick of being able to either a) attack for damage or b) make a series of skill/attribute rolls whose outcome for success was less than 15% (because my DM didn't understand math and didn't realize that a 50% roll 3 times has a very high chance of failure) to do something other than a) attack for damage.

Pathfinder 2e has also solved this problem for martials, so that's good. I hope 5e and every other dogshit system that forces characters to wield magic to do anything interesting collapses, because it's been a continual problem for me for most of my fantasy adventuring days.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

CitizenKeen posted:

I edit RPGs and boardgames for a living, and every publisher has their own style (or a lack thereof). It really is usually a "per product line" decision, tailored to the game, tone, target demographic, mechanical complexity, etc. I haven't seen a good general style guide for RPGs anywhere (though I've only been at it for a few years), but this general one for boardgames by Mike Lee is good: https://docs.google.com/document/d/101P3El5zUTnmv_FwDW-X176CTIl8p5MLMKkAE-LwVUQ/edit

WotC has a short one for 5e DnD that's not bad, if that's the style you're wanting to write for: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/267467/DMs-Guild-Creator-Resource--Style-Guide-Resources

I default to the Chicago Manual of Style, which is what WotC's style guides are based on, and it's what I used to write a style guide for a client's RPG line (based heavily on 5e's). I think it's a good balance for texts that are somewhere between technical and artistic.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Paizo are announcing that they blew through an 8 month supply of the PF2 Core in 2 weeks. That’s, what, sales up 1600%?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

JMBosch posted:

I edit RPGs and boardgames for a living, and every publisher has their own style (or a lack thereof). It really is usually a "per product line" decision, tailored to the game, tone, target demographic, mechanical complexity, etc. I haven't seen a good general style guide for RPGs anywhere (though I've only been at it for a few years), but this general one for boardgames by Mike Lee is good: https://docs.google.com/document/d/101P3El5zUTnmv_FwDW-X176CTIl8p5MLMKkAE-LwVUQ/edit

WotC has a short one for 5e DnD that's not bad, if that's the style you're wanting to write for: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/267467/DMs-Guild-Creator-Resource--Style-Guide-Resources

I default to the Chicago Manual of Style, which is what WotC's style guides are based on, and it's what I used to write a style guide for a client's RPG line (based heavily on 5e's). I think it's a good balance for texts that are somewhere between technical and artistic.

Sorry, I'm not looking for a general one. Specific ones, even to small RPGs, is fine. 5th Edition D&D is perfect. Thank you!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

hyphz posted:

Paizo are announcing that they blew through an 8 month supply of the PF2 Core in 2 weeks. That’s, what, sales up 1600%?

It's a poo poo ton, that's for sure. They had a giveaway and a huge sale yesterday too on a lot of the core stuff so that probably helped.

And I watch a lot of the Glass Cannon shows, they made it sound like Paizo has been expecting something like this for quite some time. Maybe not quite this, but similar enough that they had a plan in place for when it happened.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Speaking of Paizo, are they still moving forward with the unionization efforts?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Their union still exists, yeah. It's been pretty quiet which is probably a good sign?

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

CitizenKeen posted:

Sorry, I'm not looking for a general one. Specific ones, even to small RPGs, is fine. 5th Edition D&D is perfect. Thank you!

Oh, well then there are, like, at least 7 more game-specific style guides free on DTRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?keywords=%22style+guide%22&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Their union still exists, yeah. It's been pretty quiet which is probably a good sign?

Huh yeah guess they're actually progressing on the negotiation front, too. Good for them!

https://twitter.com/PaizoWorkers/status/1616505268850024448

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Presumably the new printing of the PF2e books won’t have any OGL text in them?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

JMBosch posted:

Oh, well then there are, like, at least 7 more game-specific style guides free on DTRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?keywords=%22style+guide%22&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

Oh, this is perfect! Thank you!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Lumbermouth posted:

Presumably the new printing of the PF2e books won’t have any OGL text in them?

We'll see. The bestiaries, at the very least, still need OGL text because they are unquestionably still using SRD-derived content (the planar beings most specifically).

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 27, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

We'll see. The bestiaries, at the very least, still need OGL text because they are unquestionably still using SRD-derived content (the planar beings most specifically).

Yeah the interesting thing is what Paizo’s going to do with the small handful of monsters they use from the Tome of Horrors, which require very specific OGL citation sub licensing from WotC.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

hyphz posted:

That explains why no one in my city has the core or pocket core books. Finally just gave up and ordered a pocket through Barnes and Noble.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Arivia posted:

Yeah the interesting thing is what Paizo’s going to do with the small handful of monsters they use from the Tome of Horrors, which require very specific OGL citation sub licensing from WotC.

I presume those are simply going to go away and not get referenced in any future products. Legacy products from 1E that feature them might not see any new print runs.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Which monsters? I imagine they could be rewritten to be copyright free

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
All the monsters in PF 2e, including devils, angels, etc, are already rewritten to the point that the only concrete thing they even share with any SRD or Tome of Horrors forebear is a name and the names of some spells. There's no way that's enough for a successful copyright case, and they aren't using any of them for marketing so it's not like a trademark case would have any chance (and I'm Wizards really wouldn't want a court looking closely at its "original" names for things like prismatic spray or githyanki).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I would have thought that after this whole debacle, Wizards going after Paizo in court would be absolutely suicidal, and even the Hasbro execs now realise this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

The custom single-player modules for NWN1 and NWN2, however, are pretty cool, especially in co-op.

Sadly the NWN1 multi-player scene has hit a rough patch as of recent years, mostly due to people being impatient with patches and the like. I recommend checking out the preview patch on Steam by writing previewpreview in the beta page, because we've gotten cool new features like getting the multiclass limit raised from 3 to 8.

This might make you tempted to install the PRC (players resource consortium), but it's still being worked on to allow for this expanded class limit. You might still want to try it though as new classes like Warblade have been fixed to be playable and as fun as in PnP, shadowcasters are in, shadowsmith and so on. It adds a lot of playtime with a lot of races too, albeit almost nothing visual outside of sfx's.

ad over.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mordaedil posted:

Sadly the NWN1 multi-player scene has hit a rough patch as of recent years, mostly due to people being impatient with patches and the like. I recommend checking out the preview patch on Steam by writing previewpreview in the beta page, because we've gotten cool new features like getting the multiclass limit raised from 3 to 8.

This might make you tempted to install the PRC (players resource consortium), but it's still being worked on to allow for this expanded class limit. You might still want to try it though as new classes like Warblade have been fixed to be playable and as fun as in PnP, shadowcasters are in, shadowsmith and so on. It adds a lot of playtime with a lot of races too, albeit almost nothing visual outside of sfx's.

ad over.

My experience with the NWN1/2 multiplayer scene is primarily in the nightmare hellscape of PWs, god help me, so I wasn't even aware that there'd been much in the way of new activity in the module side of things - nice! Are there any good new-ish modules out there for a small pre-arranged co-op crew? And by newish I mean released after EE became a thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mordaedil posted:

ad over.

What is the best source for NWN mods?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/newbiedm/status/1619064291587690496?t=8xyB1AIuG1Uq68GNEi-CKA&s=19

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
the dumbest outcome of this whole thing is if people actually use the OGL at all anymore. Regardless of whatever WotC does.

It's bad when the default open licensing thing is owned by one company.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I suspect the damage is done now. Good luck Wizards....

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Original source:

https://twitter.com/dndbeyond/status/1619064403466326027?s=46&t=9n6Ai9zzSMVVWxDsN9zPuQ

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dexo posted:

the dumbest outcome of this whole thing is if people actually use the OGL at all anymore. Regardless of whatever WotC does.

It would stupid if anyone used it for new projects, but I guess it's way less of a headache for people who used OGL in the last decades.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The entire SRD being under CC-BY-4.0 is a pretty big deal, instead of just the mechanics.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1439-ogl-1-0a-creative-commons

Here is the full announcement. Including 5e's basic ruleset going under Creative Commons meaning it can't be altered by Wizards anymore and anyone is free to use it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I am genuinely surprised they didn't fight harder for a cut of people's royalties.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dexo posted:

5e at least is now under creative commons so people don't have to care.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I am genuinely surprised they didn't fight harder for a cut of people's royalties.
They already had people volunteering to give them a cut in return for only selling their product in their wallet garden of the DMs Guild. Causing a massive PR disaster to try and get a cut from the people who don't need to rely on WotC was always going to be a long shot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm not, Once Paizo et al publishers of that level correctly said, "lmao we don't actually need to use the OGL we were just using it out of habit, and to easily allow derivative works of our new stuff under it"

The Royalty stuff was literally just a tax on like 10 people/companies in the space. And Those companies were like "lmao sure, we just won't use it anymore and will pull out anything that requires it going forward"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also like Tibalt said above the real money for them is just going to be in whatever the marketplace for their New VTT/DnDBeyond ends up being. Because you will have to pay them their blood money there.