Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, summer is like me, someone who falls inlove hard and fast for anything that makes them decently happy and usually with mixed results.

also was that birdgirl show anygood? i tried watching it and it just didnt make me laugh because it played everything super straight talking comedy instead whatever the loving harvey birdman was.

I ended up liking it! It doesn't always mesh tonally though, it's trying to have emotional story beats that genuinely take the problems of it's main characters seriously while also doing the completely deranged comedy that made the original Harvey Birdman Attorney at law cartoon so great and it can't quite pull it off, but a lot of the jokes still worked for me. Birdman not being part of the cast anymore really hurts the show, his aggressively average guy energy was what held the insanity of the original show together.

Oh, and after episode five I officially like Velma, I've gone from "this doesn't deserve as much as it's getting, but it still sucks" to "okay this has some good parts, but it's still mostly bad" to "I'm enjoying this a moderate amount, I'm kinda sad that it's most likely going to get cancelled after one season because it front loaded all of its worst ideas and jokes into its first few episodes and now the damage to its reputation is irreversible."

Once all the episodes are out I kinda want to do a deep dive what I think it did right and what I think it did wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Start to implode? Its already imploded. He has been kicked out of both the TV industry and the games industry, and he probably won't be able to sneak back in after a few years.

I just he ll have to make funny voices and edgy jokes on the side of the road.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Ups_rail posted:

I just he ll have to make funny voices and edgy jokes on the side of the road.

Hey now! That's MY business he'd be edging in on. :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Brak's voice is funny

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Macaluso posted:

Brak's voice is funny

The whole "I'm not animated to explode" segment is probably one of the best bits of meta humor in the history of Western Animation

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

I thought the first season of 'Birdgirl' was just.. okay. Couple of good moments but nothing special. Second season was excellent. Some properly strange and wild storytelling. Felt like the creative team just went for it.

Finished 'Koala Man', just delightful. Feel like a lot of it may not work all that well for people who didn't grow up in suburban Australia, plenty of the shows best jokes, moments and plotlines revolve around ultra niche australiana. The voice cast is stacked, big highlight for me was Hugo Weaving showing up as the king of the Emu's. Roiland only shows up in a single ep so easy to look past that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drrockso20 posted:

The whole "I'm not animated to explode" segment is probably one of the best bits of meta humor in the history of Western Animation

Kid's show or adult humor or somewhere in between, I think Cartoon Planet is just the pinnacle of late-90s dadaist Cartoon Network freak energy.

The Brak Show has always held a special place in my heart but I wouldn't say it's great or isn't full of stupid stuff I dislike.

Andy sure did haul the mail. But I'm just glad we got as much Croker as we did.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Andy sure did haul the mail. But I'm just glad we got as much Croker as we did.

Yeah. I just wish he'd gotten paid for it. :smith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I ended up liking it! It doesn't always mesh tonally though, it's trying to have emotional story beats that genuinely take the problems of it's main characters seriously while also doing the completely deranged comedy that made the original Harvey Birdman Attorney at law cartoon so great and it can't quite pull it off, but a lot of the jokes still worked for me. Birdman not being part of the cast anymore really hurts the show, his aggressively average guy energy was what held the insanity of the original show together.

Oh, and after episode five I officially like Velma, I've gone from "this doesn't deserve as much as it's getting, but it still sucks" to "okay this has some good parts, but it's still mostly bad" to "I'm enjoying this a moderate amount, I'm kinda sad that it's most likely going to get cancelled after one season because it front loaded all of its worst ideas and jokes into its first few episodes and now the damage to its reputation is irreversible."

Once all the episodes are out I kinda want to do a deep dive what I think it did right and what I think it did wrong.

Yeah, same on both counts -- I liked Birdgirl and I'm increasingly enjoying Velma.

I love where they seem to be going with their version of Scooby, though even if they do go with the transplant route that's probably still less wild than Mystery Incorporated's brand of nonsense (I say that with a respect for wild nonsense). if that is the case, any guesses on who's gonna get transplanted? My guess would be Fred's dad, because the casting works out, but I'm open to whomever.

But yeah, enjoying Velma quite a bit now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also btw I spent years wondering what the hell musical the "Wake Up Song" was from, I mean it's really well done and the lyrics are great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szN9f3iHpE8

Turns out it's a track from a royalty-free music collection they had in their library lmao https://www.universalproductionmusic.com/en-us/discover/albums/1238/its-showtime

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

masterpine posted:

Finished 'Koala Man', just delightful. Feel like a lot of it may not work all that well for people who didn't grow up in suburban Australia, plenty of the shows best jokes, moments and plotlines revolve around ultra niche australiana. The voice cast is stacked, big highlight for me was Hugo Weaving showing up as the king of the Emu's. Roiland only shows up in a single ep so easy to look past that.

I also enjoyed it quite a bit. I’d be interested in the expanding the focus on the growth of the characters if they continue but I’m fine with it being a single season documentary if not. It’s not my favorite cultural export of the continent but it’s a fun ride.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, same on both counts -- I liked Birdgirl and I'm increasingly enjoying Velma.

I love where they seem to be going with their version of Scooby, though even if they do go with the transplant route that's probably still less wild than Mystery Incorporated's brand of nonsense (I say that with a respect for wild nonsense). if that is the case, any guesses on who's gonna get transplanted? My guess would be Fred's dad, because the casting works out, but I'm open to whomever.

But yeah, enjoying Velma quite a bit now.

If they do go the dog brain transplant route I'm guessing they'll use a character we haven't met yet because so far no one really fits Scooby as a character, and yeah it'll be weird but like you said nothing is topping Mystery Incorporated's "scooby is a lovecraftian monster descended from Cthulhu" backstory so it's not like it's any weirder than Scooby Doo has ever been before.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The loving what now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

see the thing about Velma is that way way back in the 1980s, secret government employees dug up scooby guys and ladies, and made amusing genetic copies. Now their clones are teens, and they're gonna make it if they try (living, laughing, sharing, judging).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd actually watch that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

When is the new season starting anyway? It should be pretty soon.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Warbird posted:

New season of what?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Clone High

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Warbird posted:

The loving what now

The most recent episode of Velma revealed that the central mystery of the show involves a mad scientist who invented a machine that can swap brains. This machine was called "Scooby". I'm guessing that themachine is going to be used to put someone's brain inside a great dane at some point and that's how the gang gets a talking dog, but who knows.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Warbird posted:

I'd like to know when the new season of Ten Year Old Tom comes out.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The most recent episode of Velma revealed that the central mystery of the show involves a mad scientist who invented a machine that can swap brains. This machine was called "Scooby". I'm guessing that themachine is going to be used to put someone's brain inside a great dane at some point and that's how the gang gets a talking dog, but who knows.

Uggghghgh....Lovecraft Scoob all the way please. At least that concept opens the door for a lot more enjoyable things.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
re, the killer's identity in Velma (episode six spoilers) I reckon it's almost definitely Velma's mother, who was initially targeting people who've been lovely to Velma. End goal is either to stick Velma in a more popular person's body (Daphne?) or to take over the body of her husband's new wife. Maybe both.

Flopsy posted:

Uggghghgh....Lovecraft Scoob all the way please. At least that concept opens the door for a lot more enjoyable things.

I think this concept already does this tbh. The "murdered" girls are probably being abducted in order to perform some sort of body swap on them, so there's a non-zero chance that the killer is stuffing brains into the bodies of animals. So we could end up with, I dunno, two monkeys with the brains of the popular girls, or maybe Ming Na's character will end up in a cheetah or something. That'd own.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

re, the killer's identity in Velma (episode six spoilers) I reckon it's almost definitely Velma's mother, who was initially targeting people who've been lovely to Velma. End goal is either to stick Velma in a more popular person's body (Daphne?) or to take over the body of her husband's new wife. Maybe both.

I think this concept already does this tbh. The "murdered" girls are probably being abducted in order to perform some sort of body swap on them, so there's a non-zero chance that the killer is stuffing brains into the bodies of animals. So we could end up with, I dunno, two monkeys with the brains of the popular girls, or maybe Ming Na's character will end up in a cheetah or something. That'd own.

My theory is that the mom has already taken over the body of new wife, she's been gaslighting her husband and her daughter all along because she's got some weird evil plan involving the murders.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A haircut is often called a 'do.

So, the people being found with the tops of their heads removed have had Scoody Do's

If this is literally a joke in the show, kill me.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The Scooby version they'll end up with will be a fiend for Mountain Dew but it'll be some legally distinct version like Alpine Dew or something.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I think I prefer the supernatural aspect over the more gory brain swap stuff. Although if they hadn't managed to turn me off so hard it would definitely be intriguing I won't lie.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I think in Velma Norville is going to get his brain swapped with someone more like Shaggy, and she falls in love with him immediately. Norville is then either completely forgotten, or his brain ends up in some lesser-known character's body like Howdy Doo or something.

I'm not watching the show.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Warbird posted:

They're still stuck in the writer's room trying to figure out how to approach the Ghandi situation

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Re: Velma

Am I going crazy or do the “last week on” recaps show scenes that didn’t happen in the last episode? Like right now in I think episode 5 the recap showed Norville meeting Gigi and them becoming a couple, but I don’t remember that scene at all in any of the previous episodes. If I skipped the recap like I usually do then I’d be super confused when they revealed those two are dating.

e: I feel like the same thing happened in another episode as well but I don’t remember. Are there after credit scenes I’m missing?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 28, 2023

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megillah Gorilla posted:

A haircut is often called a 'do.

So, the people being found with the tops of their heads removed have had Scoody Do's

If this is literally a joke in the show, kill me.

Sort of! When she learns about about the Scooby machine Velma asks "What did Scooby do?!" so I guess you should be half killed?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Boris Galerkin posted:

Re: Velma

Am I going crazy or do the “last week on” recaps show scenes that didn’t happen in the last episode? Like right now in I think episode 5 the recap showed Norville meeting Gigi and them becoming a couple, but I don’t remember that scene at all in any of the previous episodes. If I skipped the recap like I usually do then I’d be super confused when they revealed those two are dating.

e: I feel like the same thing happened in another episode as well but I don’t remember. Are there after credit scenes I’m missing?

Yes, I was in the exact same boat you were until I released the show was including plot essential scenes after the "click here to watch next episode" button comes up and HBO max auto plays something else.

So yeah, there are after credit scenes. It's not a great design honestly, feels like there was some miscommunication between the show creators and the people who made HBO Max's auto play function.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Yes, I was in the exact same boat you were until I released the show was including plot essential scenes after the "click here to watch next episode" button comes up and HBO max auto plays something else.

So yeah, there are after credit scenes. It's not a great design honestly, feels like there was some miscommunication between the show creators and the people who made HBO Max's auto play function.

I see, thanks. I generally just watch one episode and close the HBO Max app when it's over so I've never seen those I guess.

I remembered the other "last time on" recap I was confused about : I think it was episode 3 and the recap showed a scene with Fred arriving in his jail cell and I definitely didn't remember that happening. Him being arrested yes, but him going to jail no.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I'd like to know when the new season of Ten Year Old Tom comes out.

You and me both.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
https://twitter.com/realwackyguy/status/1619971632021536770?t=cLfVfzMvZjqdVPBzbtINPA&s=19

This does not bode well.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Considering that Manson just got sued for sexual assault on a minor or something, ha ha oh no.

Also iirc Abe is usually wrong so it’ll probably be fine.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I did not see the leak before it was plugged, but a pal who did said "yeah it was still Clone High, not as tight but it's been 20 years"

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
At the very least, the characters still look really good

Warbird
May 23, 2012

secretly best girl posted:

not as tight but it's been 20 years"

Something something people with glass asses something.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

I heard the episode is mid but considering the show was literally canceled after activists were upset about the portrayal of Gandhi it should be expected that there'd be some meta-commentary on it and explaining him away if he's to be removed. I refuse to cringe till i see it myself. Based on the clip they posted it seems like a severe overreaction though.

Additional edit: lily white Michael McDonald voicing an Indian character in 2023 wasn't going to fly probably anyways. I'd give this show a lot of leeway to address it in the show. Just hope its better than the lame way Simpsons did with Apu.

MasterSitsu fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
edit: never mind, post above me said everything I was going to better