Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Wait a minute, how does paying with blockchain for anything physical you need shipped to you from another country sidestep international shipping??? Does the blockchain come with magical teleportation fairies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DominoKitten posted:

Wait a minute, how does paying with blockchain for anything physical you need shipped to you from another country sidestep international shipping??? Does the blockchain come with magical teleportation fairies?

Yes, if you get in on the groundfloor of my Decentralized Magical Transportation Fairies Coin. You'd better get in soon, though - we are going to the moon!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

thing about bitcoin is: imagine being the first guy to have a dollar. dont you want to be that guy? well, if so, give me $170 million

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

DominoKitten posted:

The idea is that having a certificate saying "you own issue 15 of Bloodwall, serial number 15783" is just as good as physically owning a copy of issue 15 of Bloodwall. The fact that the one the blockchain says you own is in a warehouse three thousand miles away is, apparently, not actually relevant here.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

MechaCrash posted:

The idea is that having a certificate saying "you own issue 15 of Bloodwall, serial number 15783" is just as good as physically owning a copy of issue 15 of Bloodwall. The fact that the one the blockchain says you own is in a warehouse three thousand miles away is, apparently, not actually relevant here.

don't rich people already do that with art without a blockchain?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

Their reply:
"I don't agree with this. There are many things that the blockchain brings to the party.

I live in the united states, so its not a big deal, but if I were in singapore or japan, or maybe lets include Brazil or Argentina, its pretty expensive to buy stuff in USD on eBay. I literally have to jump through 3 layers of transaction fees and then have to deal with international shipping. Instead, with blockchain, I can use my local crypto exchange and get USDC with 0 fees and then buy on a 2% fee marketplace.

Composability and decentralization are two things that cannot happen without the blockchain. You probably stuck your head in the ground with the internet as well. You should have kept your head there because now you just use the internet to jump on and call other people's ideas garbage."

This person's supporting points in no way reinforce their argument. "International transactions are a PITA! If only there were a global unregulated currency I can use to purchase what I want from a marketplace away from any sovereign overreach. Blockchain. Also this fixes international shipping but don't ask me how."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

wyoak posted:

with nfts now they think that the nft is just as good as the real thing, so you can destroy it yet still own the object as long as you have the nft

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so in the collectible world there exists things called collector vaults which are run basically off reputation. eBay started getting into this space but if you know anything about card grading I believe one of the big graders also offered vaults. obviously there are also other startups offering the same thing.

but basically a vault is this: they "guarantee" that they will hold your valuables for you and you can trade between other users. they won't actually ship the cards out to you but they're just switch the owner property in their database and poof, you're now the new owner of the billy ripken gently caress face error card.

there needs to be some trust of the company holding the vault. so its basically reputation-based. and of course shady poo poo happens in this space.

now add on top of that cryptocurrency.

so yes for the 2% fee you trade the "NFT" which guarantees our ownership of the real item stored in their vault. this avoids international shipping! all you have to do is trust that the company won't go under and really actually has those items for real.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

I live in the united states, so its not a big deal, but if I were in singapore or japan, or maybe lets include Brazil or Argentina, its pretty expensive to buy stuff in USD on eBay. I literally have to jump through 3 layers of transaction fees and then have to deal with international shipping. Instead, with blockchain, I can use my local crypto exchange and get USDC with 0 fees and then buy on a 2% fee marketplace.
buying "real things" is expensive, and you have to use real dollars to do it! i simply avoid all that by going on Voyager Celsius FTX Binance to buy a bunch of IOUs for real dollars, and then I trade those IOUs for a receipt for a thing, and I save a ton on shipping because they never actually ship me the thing!! why can't people see that this is the future of collecting!!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wouldn't international shipping fees still be required to be paid by the sender and thus become baked into the purchasing price with Bitcoin?

Also if cryptocurrencies ever actually became common use every government on Earth will impose taxes on it. It's not like they're just going to shrug their shoulders and accept losing out on all income/sales taxes because it's on the blockchain.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

wyoak posted:

yes, called "freeports", which the EU has been cracking down on lately because - surprise surprise - they're great for money laundering and tax evasion

so this is yet another instance of tech dipshits reinventing something that already exists, but worse, for the purpose of fleecing not-rich people at scale

e:

Popete posted:

Wouldn't international shipping fees still be required to be paid by the sender and thus become baked into the purchasing price with Bitcoin?

no, because they never actually ship the thing! that's the genius of it, instead of paying an arm and a leg to get a collectible shipped by someone on ebay, i can pay somewhat less to get a receipt for a collectible that they never send to me! they tell me they keep it in a super special vault where it's friends with a bunch of the other collectibles, really it's happier there than it would be here at my house

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 27, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was referring to the original argument.

Strong Sauce posted:

If you purchase something internationally using Bitcoin somebody still has to pay to have it shipped and that will just be baked into the original purchase price.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Popete posted:

I was referring to the original argument.

If you purchase something internationally using Bitcoin somebody still has to pay to have it shipped and that will just be baked into the original purchase price.

if you are assuming that something physical is being shipped, yes, correct. but per strong sauce's original post, that dude was arguing on behalf of a thing called "collector crypt", which I stupidly googled and appears to be a wanna-be freeport for poo poo like trading cards. so I think that dude was (poorly, not very coherently) arguing that you save on shipping costs not by passing them off to the seller (which would not actually save anything), but rather by not shipping anything at all

e: goes without saying that freeports are bad if you care about tax evasion and money laundering, but the key thing about them is that they are a legally-recognized thing in certain jurisdictions. i'm gonna climb out on a limb and assume that even if you assume the "collector crypt" guys are operating in good faith (lol), they are not actually in any kind of freeport and there is a host of legal and tax problems that would arise here under the best of circumstances

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 27, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Seems to be about exchange fees? So if I go onto collectorvault.butts and pay in yen for American collectibles that I will not want shipped to me right away, I have to pay layers of conversion fees, but if I buy buttcoins with my yen -

Wait, I still have to pay the fees, just to different people!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

we've solved the issue of faster than light travel! we don't do it and instead just pretend we did, on the blockchain, so that makes it real

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blotto_Otter posted:

if you are assuming that something physical is being shipped, yes, correct. but per strong sauce's original post, that dude was arguing on behalf of a thing called "collector crypt", which I stupidly googled and appears to be a wanna-be freeport for poo poo like trading cards. so I think that dude was (poorly, not very coherently) arguing that you save on shipping costs not by passing them off to the seller (which would not actually save anything), but rather by not shipping anything at all

e: goes without saying that freeports are bad if you care about tax evasion and money laundering, but the key thing about them is that they are a legally-recognized thing in certain jurisdictions. i'm gonna climb out on a limb and assume that even if you assume the "collector crypt" guys are operating in good faith (lol), they are not actually in any kind of freeport and there is a host of legal and tax problems that would arise here under the best of circumstances

I think the part I quoted wasn't about Collector Crypt but he was giving an example about how using Bitcoin to purchase stuff internationally (e.g. on Ebay) you save money. Which I don't think is actually true at least in regards to shipping fees. You may be avoiding some exchange fees but you're probably supposed to report the purchase and pay the appropriate taxes (lol nobody is doing this).

I could be misreading all that, it's difficult to follow these weird hypotheticals crypto-bros dream up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Strong Sauce posted:

so in the collectible world there exists things called collector vaults which are run basically off reputation. eBay started getting into this space but if you know anything about card grading I believe one of the big graders also offered vaults. obviously there are also other startups offering the same thing.

but basically a vault is this: they "guarantee" that they will hold your valuables for you and you can trade between other users. they won't actually ship the cards out to you but they're just switch the owner property in their database and poof, you're now the new owner of the billy ripken gently caress face error card.

there needs to be some trust of the company holding the vault. so its basically reputation-based. and of course shady poo poo happens in this space.

so yes for the 2% fee you trade the "NFT" which guarantees our ownership of the real item stored in their vault. this avoids international shipping! all you have to do is trust that the company won't go under and really actually has those items for real.

it seems to me that it would not be impossible to sell a single item multiple times in this scenario

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Mozi posted:

it seems to me that it would not be impossible to sell a single item multiple times in this scenario

NFTS BLOCKCHAIN

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
instead of owning a link to a jpeg, i can own a link to a jpeg

magnificent

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

NFTs sound great, has anyone tried putting the blockchain on one?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Boxturret posted:

"you can see the score on the side now, that's really nice actually, wow"

i love things like this and star citizen where the people trying really hard to pretend that it's fun obviously have never played a game in their life:allears:

"You can actually check the ranks? No way!"

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Nessus posted:

Seems to be about exchange fees? So if I go onto collectorvault.butts and pay in yen for American collectibles that I will not want shipped to me right away, I have to pay layers of conversion fees, but if I buy buttcoins with my yen -

Wait, I still have to pay the fees, just to different people!

they're only "fees" if they come from the conventional banking system, otherwise they're just sparkling price inclusions

also, because I hate myself and all of you, I took a quick gander at Collector Crypt's terms of service and "lightpaper", and in addition to the previously-mentioned pitfalls, their own stated business model makes zero sense even at face value. The legal responsibility for custody of the actual collectibles is ambiguous, but apparently the actual collectibles are to be stored with "third-party vault partners", for whom Collector Crypt disclaims all responsibility, and it is not clear to me how those third-party vaults are supposed to generate the recurring revenue they'd theoretically need to cover storage costs. The only thing that's made clear is that if you ever foolishly try to redeem your NFT for the actual object they represent, you're on the hook for an unspecified amount of shipping and transfer fees.

Popete posted:

You may be avoiding some exchange fees but you're probably supposed to report the purchase and pay the appropriate taxes (lol nobody is doing this).
oh sure, they're all supposed to do that and they all don't. that would theoretically apply here as well on Collector Crypt items, and their terms of service do reiterate that point, and of course they'll all ignore it. but the funny thing about that, is that a key part of of any of these proposals to use blockchains in buying stuff (whether real stuff or pretend IOUs for stuff) involves putting all of their sales transactions on display via an immutable public ledger for all of the world's tax agents to inspect, if they ever feel motivated to do so

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Blotto_Otter posted:

oh sure, they're all supposed to do that and they all don't. that would theoretically apply here as well on Collector Crypt items, and their terms of service do reiterate that point, and of course they'll all ignore it. but the funny thing about that, is that a key part of of any of these proposals to use blockchains in buying stuff (whether real stuff or pretend IOUs for stuff) involves putting all of their sales transactions on display via an immutable public ledger for all of the world's tax agents to inspect, if they ever feel motivated to do so

Putting aside all the myriad problems legally/technically that cryptocurrencies have if they were one day widely adopted as actual currency it would become regulated just as much as any other currency. It's supposed benefits (avoiding fees) are really just people committing tax fraud and current regulators not bothering to crack down on it.

Popete fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 27, 2023

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Geez, at least Edward Norton had the actual Mona Lisa

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Strong Sauce posted:

Say what you will about Tenet but the vault break-in scene owned.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Boxturret posted:

we've solved the issue of faster than light travel! we don't do it and instead just pretend we did, on the blockchain, so that makes it real

It's funny because it's honestly incredible that we've progressed technologically where we can exchange ownership-- immutable ownership-- of things across great distances at the speed of light. It's called telephones backed up by a legal system. It was further enhanced with the internet.

Then, in their stupid minds, they made it harder to exchange immutable ownership rights and use it to sell nothing except for basically things that exist solely to encapsulate arbitrary ownership rights.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

DickParasite posted:

Say what you will about Tenet but the vault break-in scene owned.

stealing fakes from the rich.. but with time travel

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

jokes posted:

It's funny because it's honestly incredible that we've progressed technologically where we can exchange ownership-- immutable ownership-- of things across great distances at the speed of light. It's called telephones backed up by a legal system. It was further enhanced with the internet.

Then, in their stupid minds, they made it harder to exchange immutable ownership rights and use it to sell nothing except for basically things that exist solely to encapsulate arbitrary ownership rights.

bitcoin's whole history is basically: take something that already exists, make a worse version of it, then sell it to a bunch of greedy ignorant people who have no idea how anything works, but since this thing they invested in to does it it must be new and ground breaking and never done before!

see: bitcoiners genuinely thinking that bitcoin invented accounting or application specific integrated circuits

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They make a worse version of a thing so they can repackage it to people who don't understand the thing already exists in a superior way. Like Cable TV just taking OTA signal and piping it through their cable boxes, lol

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Strong Sauce posted:

stealing fakes from the rich.. but with time travel

All my apes… arrived?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

So if I have a physical copy of a valuable card, comic, art, etc what you’re telling me is I can send that physical item to a vault (trusting a shady crypto company to keep it safe) and then receive an NFT telling me I own the thing and then sell the NFT? I’m assuming there are storage fees, vault transaction fees, crypto transaction fees and who knows what kind of tax clusterfuck if it’s all international.

Why the gently caress would I do that?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sophy Wackles posted:

So if I have a physical copy of a valuable card, comic, art, etc what you’re telling me is I can send that physical item to a vault (trusting a shady crypto company to keep it safe) and then receive an NFT telling me I own the thing and then sell the NFT? I’m assuming there are storage fees, vault transaction fees, crypto transaction fees and who knows what kind of tax clusterfuck if it’s all international.

Clout, or whatever these dipshits call it?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sophy Wackles posted:

Because then it will be on the blockchain! A digital thing that will make you money. somehow

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1619124247774756865?s=46&t=m-aX_NQbeWG8k1s2vsyDVw

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm sure he'll tell us all about his witness tampering in his next blog post.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Boxturret posted:

bitcoin's whole history is basically: take something that already exists, make a worse version of it, then sell it to a bunch of greedy ignorant people who have no idea how anything works, but since this thing they invested in to does it it must be new and ground breaking and never done before!

That is just silicon valley 'disruptors' in general.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
in a back alley rn gettin my apes touched

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
dj kool voice: LET ME TOUCH MY APE

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

dj kool voice: LET ME TOUCH MY APE

Gawd drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

SettingSun posted:

Speaking of bitcoin as legal tender, how's El Salvador doing nowadays?

There was Chivo Wallet with Santa Claus:

"I want Bitcoin to go up"
"Ho-ho-ho, ho-ho-ho, ho-ho!"

they just approved a lovely new Digital Assets Law written by Tether to let them issue Volcano Bonds

now all they need is buyers who aren't sanctioned Russian oligarchs, ho-ho-ho, ho-ho-ho, ho-ho