Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is cost creep referring to the price increase of buildings as you do more of them? I'm getting ready for my 2nd MAD and can finally get some CRISPR selections. I see the cost creep and storage space ones but no crafting yet.

Also what are "challenge traits"?
Yeah, cost creep refers to the escalating cost increase of all your buildings as you buy more. The creep reduction decreases that growth allowing you to build way more buildings for cost. It is very powerful. This mechanic is in basically every idle game in existence.

Challenge traits are the thing that enable the 1-4 star runs. After you unlock them in the crispr you can enable them for increased prestige rewards and better achievements in your run (important for mastery). Check the wiki for details on the specifics. There are several schools of thought about how many to enable and when, but eventually the game's end state is to 4 star every achievement in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

WTFBEES posted:

That would explain it, but does that mean there's no prestige upgrades other than the occasional new modules at the listed distances? That would be real weird and apparently mean there's no reason to prestige unless you're changing your ship's config?

I haven't unlocked them yet but there's an upgrade that gives you v2 weapons in the mechanic you unlock at zone 13

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

WTFBEES posted:

That would explain it, but does that mean there's no prestige upgrades other than the occasional new modules at the listed distances? That would be real weird and apparently mean there's no reason to prestige unless you're changing your ship's config?

You will eventually unlock a reason to prestige more often once you unlock the Base mechanic, but before then, yes, the only reason to prestige is to change your ship config (and you eventually get the ability to retrofit your ship during a run without having to prestige)

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Well that sure is different, particularly from a NGU-like. Long runs here I come.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

WTFBEES posted:

There's a bit more, plus multiple progression items are preserved like research and synth progress.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I don't know how much content there really is right now but getting the first base cleared should be just a touch smoother and soother. It's just long enough you start wondering if the game is actually as shallow as it seems or if there's another mechanic right there. I mean you have the visual of the base getting larger in the main view so yeah it's leading up to something and does expand the game. I think the mechanic unlocked is too important to leave off the first 24 hours. I'd probably try and make it in the first 8-12.

I got it at like 16-20 hours but there's sleep in there and work. I feel like someone could miss it in their first 24.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I wasn't too concerned just because I saw the number of locked tabs and went "well I'm obviously missing something here".

But I could see making it appear a bit earlier.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
There's a second prestige system you unlock after beating sector 13.

edit: oh hey refreshing before posting, thats a good idea

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I accidentally deleted a stack of the gem things in unnamed space idle because I forgot the button combination to combine them and there's no way to undo it or confirmation prompt of any kind. Feels real bad, man!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
edit: Nevermind

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 27, 2023

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

explosivo posted:

I accidentally deleted a stack of the gem things in unnamed space idle because I forgot the button combination to combine them and there's no way to undo it or confirmation prompt of any kind. Feels real bad, man!
:smith:
To help in the future you can "lock" them to prevent this by holding shift. Hotkeys are also on the only screen that uses them. UI could use some improvements.

My game decided to freeze about 4 hours ago without me noticing and local save is hosed up. Cloud save is from 11PM well I didn't do a hell of a lot with this today. So beware of save eating freezes I guess? Could be just me though I had the RAMnear max. I didn't see the normal black screen your video driver has recovered associated with a game freezing like that, I wasn't exactly at my desk from about an hour before it crashed until now. Still this is a warning that there's a crash state that eats your local save and it doesn't have a fall back you have your cloud and any daily exports you have done for AI.

Keep a backup save.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

explosivo posted:

yeah you have to shift-click to "protect" them to prevent that, which is a lousy system (well it wouldn't be as bad if you could rebind the buttons that do each action)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God damnit I had no idea you could lock them, thanks for the tip!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What module setups and combinations are you guys using? I've been keeping weapon/ shields on like 24/7. Then at the start of a prestige use the salvage and VM gain until I max the core upgrades. Then I turn salvage off for the computer speed booster.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Early in a run I tend to run Engine/Compute/Salvage/Synth, later in a run I add Damage/Research and usually drop Engine/Salvage/Compute, in that order. Shields is nice for pushing but I don't find it allows me to idle at a further distance in any meaningful way.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zotix posted:

What module setups and combinations are you guys using? I've been keeping weapon/ shields on like 24/7. Then at the start of a prestige use the salvage and VM gain until I max the core upgrades. Then I turn salvage off for the computer speed booster.
same, plus I'm automating laser boost because you can get it to 5 seconds cooldown / 10 seconds uptime (so it's up all the time)

anyone know if the Kinetic Cannon is any good? I haven't made it past the boss of 20 yet to get to 21 to find out

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Arzaac posted:

Early in a run I tend to run Engine/Compute/Salvage/Synth, later in a run I add Damage/Research and usually drop Engine/Salvage/Compute, in that order. Shields is nice for pushing but I don't find it allows me to idle at a further distance in any meaningful way.

There's not an engine module, is there? Or are you thinking of reactor?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

The UI for the core is horrendous by the way I love how you can scroll the left to scroll through them but then each of them has mile stones that you can also scroll if you hover over the right hand side and there's choices in these mile stones so you have to navigate it. Why?!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Zotix posted:

There's not an engine module, is there? Or are you thinking of reactor?

....poo poo, yes, I am thinking reactor. :v:

Although honestly my answer is still kinda the same. I run Synth/Compute (which does give an engine bonus)/Salvage early on, then when I've decided I'm good enough on Compute I typically switch to Synth/Research/Battle. Which gem goes where mostly depends on which Research I'm focusing on, and if I have to drop Synth for Research I usually just pop the Compute shard back in.

I like, just unlocked the blue slot, so that pretty much always has the Damage Up shard, because I don't care about Void Generation unless I'm specifically trying to upgrade reactor.

Sorry, apologies, I keep reading your question wrong for some reason.

Modules, yes, I guess it depends on where you are? When I had less than 5 slots I would usually try to keep Salvage/Void Matter/Compute up as long as possible, then I'd slowly drop them starting with Salvage to get Damage Up and Shields running. Whether I dropped Void Matter or Computing honestly depended on whether my current reactor setup could be maintained without the module.

With 5 slots now I can keep all 5 running, but lately I've been dropping salvage for Auto-Laser, as I can keep the laser active up permanently with that. Void Power Capacity and Generation I basically leave untouched unless I'm actively upgrading reactor.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 27, 2023

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Okay I think I figured out why my save was "eaten"

there's a checkbox next to save that if you click turns off autosave. Why is this on the main screen and not in settings?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Unnamed Space Idle is fun. Im nowhere near as progressed as most in here, currently at distance 150.

That thing where the various synth products gets upgrades/benefits as you level them, eventually becoming infinite, is genius. It seems like such an obvious progression mechanic yet i have not seen a game do this before.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I'm noticing something weird/confusing with USI -- I've mainly been doing active play, but if I accidentally minimize the window or go into offline mode for whatever reason, it seems like I get a massively higher void matter generation in that offline mode. I normally get about 1 per second, but even going offline for just five minutes means I come back to 100k or so.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Edit:
Generation after about a minute and a half of being offline versus what the game tells me I generate normally while active:

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I've noticed this too but I really only get it early in a run; I think it might happen when your offline mode would kill a boss? Something to test for sure.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Arzaac posted:

So I've noticed this too but I really only get it early in a run; I think it might happen when your offline mode would kill a boss? Something to test for sure.

I think this might be right -- I just cleared the Sector 13 boss and went idle again and got the normal amount.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Arzaac posted:

I'll swear up and down that this is caused by idling with the "void orb" buff up, or whatever its called.

And remind folks to fool with the targeting parameters for your guns as you go through different sectors. The charge laser in particular is amazing when you can one shot ships and tell it not to shoot things that are already being targeted by other guns.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

This seems really powerful

my current idea is to keep regen ships from regenerating with the beam, the charge goes around 1 shotting things and the cannon is mostly for the cooldown bonus on the special. The current priority is to have it just kill anything small or something that was hit with the charge laser and not finished off.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Bleh I keep bouncing off the Zone 15 end to get the next progression milestone. I could reset to get the bonus from the first base but I am so close.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Getting back up to where you were isn't that hard with the gem for engine speed and engine reactor buff.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Bleh I keep bouncing off the Zone 15 end to get the next progression milestone. I could reset to get the bonus from the first base but I am so close.

whenever I was in that situation, I would just save and come back to the game the next day, by which point my Compute power has typically increased enough to get me to the point where I can squeak by

That's my USI tip, I guess - don't be afraid to go take a nap

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Rynoto posted:

Getting back up to where you were isn't that hard with the gem for engine speed and engine reactor buff.

its the principle of the thing! But I know you're right. also my Synths are pretty progressed.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

whenever I was in that situation, I would just save and come back to the game the next day, by which point my Compute power has typically increased enough to get me to the point where I can squeak by

That's my USI tip, I guess - don't be afraid to go take a nap

Yeah, good call

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

pixaal posted:

This seems really powerful

my current idea is to keep regen ships from regenerating with the beam, the charge goes around 1 shotting things and the cannon is mostly for the cooldown bonus on the special. The current priority is to have it just kill anything small or something that was hit with the charge laser and not finished off.

Hey, switch your charge laser to switch targets to avoid massive overkill. Maybe also switch it to max hp.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Personally I think 2 beams beats out 1 charge and 1 beam, but either way I agree the third should be the normal laser. It's just such a great support weapon.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I've got two beams, a regular laser and two bulk generators, but I'm still kinda stuck on wave 16B... I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be doing here, I just keep synthing green ingots.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

e.: nevermind, working again

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 28, 2023

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I've got two beams, a regular laser and two bulk generators, but I'm still kinda stuck on wave 16B... I'm really not sure what I'm supposed to be doing here, I just keep synthing green ingots.

This is my loadout too and I think it's the best there is at the current tier.

I think to break through zones 16-17 we just have to keep working up the synth exp to get to higher level modules and build up the base. I'm pretty close to getting the first unlock off the base as well as building up a sizable pile of battle upgrades, which will be enough to go over the top and into zone 18.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Agent355 posted:

This is my loadout too and I think it's the best there is at the current tier.

I think to break through zones 16-17 we just have to keep working up the synth exp to get to higher level modules and build up the base. I'm pretty close to getting the first unlock off the base as well as building up a sizable pile of battle upgrades, which will be enough to go over the top and into zone 18.

I guess there's nothing for it, huh? I unlocked and prestiged for one new square in the base already, and I have another ready to go on my next prestige. I want to unlock the other 6e4 square before I actually commit though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, I'm staying up late to unlock the last 6 million point square which will let me set it up to run overnight at a nice breakpoint. 2e7 shouldn't be that much farther at that point so we'll see what the reactor upgrades do.

Also making good research progress in the zones 17a/b/c, so those are incremental upgrades too. Just gonna be a bit of a grind, which is fine.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How fast is the average reset in USI? I never got that much into NGU (or that DBZ protagonist game it was based on for that matter) because of each reset being a day long.
I also looked at USI before but completely disregarded it because of the name :v:

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

How fast is the average reset in USI? I never got that much into NGU (or that DBZ protagonist game it was based on for that matter) because of each reset being a day long.
I also looked at USI before but completely disregarded it because of the name :v:
my experience was:

*first few resets were active-play speed; a constant drip of new features
*after that it starts to slow down
*now at sector 20, and it's slowed down to something to do every half-day or so (might be optimizing incorrectly; i suspect i should be pouring all my points into synth base production, but i really wanna save up for the next synth slot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DACK FAYDEN posted:

anyone know if the Kinetic Cannon is any good? I haven't made it past the boss of 20 yet to get to 21 to find out
trip report: lmao it loving shreds things alive and it's expensive as gently caress, no wonder salvage buffs exist because you can't even start leveling it until like 1e10 (and wave 21 has mooks with "armor" that resists lasers so you have to use it anyway)