Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I genuinely can't think of a character who I enjoy more with a costume I despise less than Bullseye.

Edit: poo poo.

Okay, this thread has got me reading Punisher v Bullseye and it is loving wild.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Uncle Scrooge #11 (1955)

Foolkiller #5 (2017)

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Darthemed posted:

Uncle Scrooge #11 (1955)

There was some kind of brief uranium prospecting fad in the 50s. I've seen an episode of the Jack Benny show where he and his wife go prospecting for uranium.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pure uranium! The flesh is melting right off our bones!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
There's an I Love Lucy episode about it too!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

There was some kind of brief uranium prospecting fad in the 50s. I've seen an episode of the Jack Benny show where he and his wife go prospecting for uranium.

IIRC the old version of the boardgame Life had one way of winning money involving uranium mines.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

sebmojo posted:

all I can think is the Fallout 4 sound track.

Uranium fever has got a hold of me...

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Mooseontheloose posted:

all I can think is the Fallout 4 sound track.

Uranium fever has got a hold of me...

Which was in fact a song originally about said uranium prospecting fad.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

I had a weird moment just now realizing that all of the nuke-themed songs in fallout were like, actual cold war era songs about ICBMs n nukes n poo poo and not parody songs to fit Fallout's setting. Like on some level I knew that because Fallout always uses real music but it didn't really click in my brain

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Enough to make you rich for the rest of your life!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acMqxcdxE0E

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

every goddamn word in a permanent groove etched in a circle in my brain, like the world's stupidest record

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

arsenicCatnip posted:

I had a weird moment just now realizing that all of the nuke-themed songs in fallout were like, actual cold war era songs about ICBMs n nukes n poo poo and not parody songs to fit Fallout's setting. Like on some level I knew that because Fallout always uses real music but it didn't really click in my brain

And if you mod in more radio stations, you find out there was a lot of that music and people were really poo poo-scared of the atom bomb. I went to search one up and found it hosted on the same channel hosting Uranium Fever above.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

arsenicCatnip posted:

There's actually exactly one "parody" song on the Fallout 4 soundtrack, which is to say one that isn't being sincere -- namely Crawl Out Through the Fallout. But it's also a period novelty song from 1960, by comedy allstar Sheldon Allman, and it still fits PERFECTLY because it could go either way in Fallout's hosed up world. You can either take it straight on its face as a sincere song, or as a parody that Fallout's USA would never hope to get because it doesn't understand subtlety whatsoever.

The rest of 'em, though? Yeah, they're all real -- Uranium Fever, Atom Bomb Baby, Rocket 69, the lot (though exactly how "serious" you're supposed to take some of 'em like Rocket 69 is, well, up to you). It's really difficult in the modern era to comprehend just how much the atomic revolution and the space race changed and obsessed our culture for the duration; decades later neither of them seem that special because we've had decades to get used to them, but back in the 50's and 60's there really didn't seem to be any limit to what either one could do.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Fantastic Four #129 (1972)

The Fury of Firestorm, The Nuclear Man #17 (1983)

PunisherMax #20 (2012)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

*a clumsy Spanish waiter appears from behind a panel, starts running around exclaiming in panic*

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Redeye Flight posted:

There's actually exactly one "parody" song on the Fallout 4 soundtrack, which is to say one that isn't being sincere -- namely Crawl Out Through the Fallout. But it's also a period novelty song from 1960, by comedy allstar Sheldon Allman, and it still fits PERFECTLY because it could go either way in Fallout's hosed up world. You can either take it straight on its face as a sincere song, or as a parody that Fallout's USA would never hope to get because it doesn't understand subtlety whatsoever.

The rest of 'em, though? Yeah, they're all real -- Uranium Fever, Atom Bomb Baby, Rocket 69, the lot (though exactly how "serious" you're supposed to take some of 'em like Rocket 69 is, well, up to you). It's really difficult in the modern era to comprehend just how much the atomic revolution and the space race changed and obsessed our culture for the duration; decades later neither of them seem that special because we've had decades to get used to them, but back in the 50's and 60's there really didn't seem to be any limit to what either one could do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW4-ljxZ9Cs

This was my introduction to the genre. Dad explained to me what it was a parody of.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bruceski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW4-ljxZ9Cs

This was my introduction to the genre. Dad explained to me what it was a parody of.

God bless Tom Lehrer.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

God bless Tom Lehrer.

His humor seems really good here, but I've never heard of him. What's his deal?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Darthemed posted:

Dav
Nov 6, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

God bless Tom Lehrer.

evilmiera posted:

He made all his songs freely available, so you can find out for yourself: https://tomlehrersongs.com/

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

They shouldn’t have problems at all considering they have two Tony Starks on board

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GPTribefan posted:

They shouldn’t have problems at all considering they have two Tony Starks on board

anyone else not seeing any of these at all?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

evilmiera posted:

Famous for Parody / Satirical songs from the 50's-60's.

Most relevant / influential song is probably Werner von Braun, other bangers include uber-nerd favorite the Elements song and Poisoning Pigeons in the Park. Listen to those and you'll know if you want to listen to the rest.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

evilmiera posted:

It's sort of cliche to describe Lehrer as "Weird Al before we had Weird Al". Lehrer's best known for his various comedy songs, most of which have a satirical element to them. His Wikipedia page gives a good rundown on his life so far (he's still around at the age of 94!). Of course Lehrer's greatest contribution to humanity is probably not his work in mathematics, or even his songs, but instead his invention of the Jello Shot!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

evilmiera posted:

He was a musical satirist from the 50s onward. Big for his day, which was on it's way out just before I started growing up in the 80s, but influenced a bunch of folks who came afterward. I first found out about him when one of the songs he did for the Electric Company public broadcasting kids' show came on and my dad recognized the voice. While he wasn't fond of going full-on protest like some folk singers, his bouncy musical style added lovely bite to satirical songs like National Brotherhood Week or Werner von Braun. His recent legacy is notable because he put his entire work into the public domain. First music and lyrics, recently the full recording and performing rights.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Synthbuttrange posted:

He looked like that through a lot of the late 70s and early 80s

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Judging by the colour, he's off his tits on Yoohoo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Synthbuttrange posted:

I mentioned a few pages ago that Darthemed's imgpile.com images don't load well or often for me, yeah

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kalli posted:

Famous for Parody / Satirical songs from the 50's-60's.

Most relevant / influential song is probably Werner von Braun, other bangers include uber-nerd favorite the Elements song and Poisoning Pigeons in the Park. Listen to those and you'll know if you want to listen to the rest.

Don't forget "We Will All Go Together When We Go", it's extremely topic-relevant and the last rhyme is one of my all-time favorite things that any person has said

(When the air becomes uraneous/we will all go simultaneous)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

In this context, So Long, Mom should not be missed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pklr0UD9eSo

(which is my personal take for favorite final lines of a song)

stringless fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 29, 2023

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There's also "So Long Mom," his pre-nostalgic song for World War III ("I feel that if any songs are going to come out of World War III we'd better start writing them now"), which has its own classic conclusion:

I'll look for you
When the war is over
An hour and a half from now!

Edit: Bah! Ninja'd!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

GPTribefan posted:

He looked like that through a lot of the late 70s and early 80s

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Judging by the colour, he's off his tits on Yoohoo.

Ah, just like me at 9.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Ah, just like me at 9.

You're always 9 somewhere.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Manhunter #9 (1989)

Punisher War Journal #1 (2007)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the old version of the boardgame Life had one way of winning money involving uranium mines.
I grew up with a family board game called 'Careers' and an entire career pathway was "become a uranium prospector". It was the most financially profitable career on the board.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I grew up with a family board game called 'Careers' and an entire career pathway was "become a uranium prospector". It was the most financially profitable career on the board.
Jesus, here I thought it was Big Business all along. Then again we only played it when I was at an age with a very loose grasp of math.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

muscles like this! posted:

You might be thinking of Careers (designed by a sociologist! about balancing goals!), in which (in the original 1955 edition, which I inexplicably had as a kid) one of the best/riskiest career tracks was Uranium Prospecting (Astronaut was also available). https://fgbradleys.com/rules//Careers%20Original.pdf for a blast from the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The_Other posted:

It's sort of cliche to describe Lehrer as "Weird Al before we had Weird Al". Lehrer's best known for his various comedy songs, most of which have a satirical element to them. His Wikipedia page gives a good rundown on his life so far (he's still around at the age of 94!). Of course Lehrer's greatest contribution to humanity is probably not his work in mathematics, or even his songs, but instead his invention of the Jello Shot!

Whether you dig him or not, dude made his entire discography public domain last year, so he is good and cool.

Lest we forget though, he helped spawn the painfully unfunny Mark Russell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-72CpCR3ZoQ