Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It is still crazy that the cloud stuff is only available at the top tier of Game Pass and they haven't launched a $5 tier just for streaming. You can say it's still technically in beta all you want but they're running ads for the cloud streaming now, you don't run mainstream ads for beta software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Was a bit sad that Hifi Buzz was running so badly, then I remembered I'd set the TDP way down. Turned it off and ahhhh smooth 60.

Game rocks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

njsykora posted:

you don't run mainstream ads for beta software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnA7tepsc7s

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rinkles posted:

how in the

3080* i realize that would have been insane

Still, I use my deck almost exclusively.

Also, for people contemplating the 64GB, it might be better to get a better SSD instead of using an SD card, for 1TB they're roughly the same price.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Anyone try Hitman 3 on the Deck yet? I'm curious how well it runs

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I have never played a MechWarrior game in earnest but I'm playing 5 now on Deck and it loving rules.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Tibbeh posted:

Anyone try Hitman 3 on the Deck yet? I'm curious how well it runs

I played it a bunch pre-World of Assassination update or whatever it's called. Runs totally fine, no real complaints. Biggest pain in the rear end is how poo poo the always-online servers are.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Beastie posted:

I have never played a MechWarrior game in earnest but I'm playing 5 now on Deck and it loving rules.

I heard DLC and Mods make the game better, but I cant vouch for that myself. I just own the base game, and I like it. Played 3+4 back in the day.

Vegastar posted:

I played it a bunch pre-World of Assassination update or whatever it's called. Runs totally fine, no real complaints. Biggest pain in the rear end is how poo poo the always-online servers are.

You can make an offline profile, as I remember. You just dont get any online specific stuff. Which of course is fine.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Beastie posted:

Just fyi, an enterprising reddit poster put together a guide for running Mechwarriors 1-4. They're also very good! They're also abandonware (the devs even released the MW4 source a few years ago) so should be easy to find.

I'm wrestling with Mechwarrior 3 (the display is rotated in desktop mode due to a resolution issue somewhere, but when you run it in gaming mode there's a glitch where the skybox takes up the entire FOV) but that game in particular has always been a nightmare to run properly and it's frankly a miracle the Deck can run it at all.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can’t imagine playing any mechwarrior without a mouse and keyboard (or some sort of HOTAS) because that sounds like just asking for a terrible, clumsy time

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can’t imagine playing any mechwarrior without a mouse and keyboard (or some sort of HOTAS) because that sounds like just asking for a terrible, clumsy time

I got your HOTAS right here *smacks the back of my mech*

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah I've spent a *lot* of time remapping controls. Almost there. It helps that MW5 controls fine, so I know it can be done. Still working out the Virtual Menus to handle all the radar functions and other doohickeys.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Almost done with Bully. Downloaded Yakuza 5 last night. I haven't finished 4 yet (I have that one on console) but after thinking about it the actual overarching plot of these games doesn't matter to me so much as the moment to moment stuff, so I'm just gonna play both and not worry about it too much.

Bully has been an incredible Deck game, and has cemented itself as one of my favorite open-worlds ever. I can't believe Mr. Hattrick called ME a twerp!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The wire on the official dock won’t connect when I have my kickstand case on the deck. Do you all know if something like this to extend the usb c connection would work?

https://a.co/d/1nE5hCq

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Any trip reports on dead space?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

They also just added "FPS" style controls for MW5 for controllers, whatever that actually means.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Almost done with Bully. Downloaded Yakuza 5 last night. I haven't finished 4 yet (I have that one on console) but after thinking about it the actual overarching plot of these games doesn't matter to me so much as the moment to moment stuff, so I'm just gonna play both and not worry about it too much.

Bully has been an incredible Deck game, and has cemented itself as one of my favorite open-worlds ever. I can't believe Mr. Hattrick called ME a twerp!

unfortunately yakuza 5s cutscenes are borked on the deck and play the wrong audio tracks. havent seen any working fixes for it

sucks cos its the only one i havent played to death yet and would otherwise be a perfect fit for the deck

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Squiggle posted:

They also just added "FPS" style controls for MW5 for controllers, whatever that actually means.

This is how I'm playing. It's got UI changes although sometimes they bug. It's very doable in handheld. I'm only a few hours in and it's perfectly serviceable

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

You can’t add Game Pass games to Steam (on Windows), can you? You can launch them, but without Steam input support afaik.
https://glossi.flatspot.pictures/

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

jokes posted:

Any trip reports on dead space?

No luck this far. Crashes at start screens.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
so i just got my dock, and...it doesn't work. first time i plugged the steam deck into it, i got a firmware update wizard, which failed, and i since haven't been able to even get that to pop back up. power is passing through, but displayport isn't working. should i just RMA it or is there a solution somewhere?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Try a different DP cable and/or HDMI if you have one - it's much pickier than my RTX 3080 when it comes to putting out a signal.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Risutora posted:

unfortunately yakuza 5s cutscenes are borked on the deck and play the wrong audio tracks. havent seen any working fixes for it

sucks cos its the only one i havent played to death yet and would otherwise be a perfect fit for the deck

Well poo poo

Whatever it was $7

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Dead space works on the deck, but it crashes if you look at the map. So best wait until that’s fixed

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
I travel on long flights often for work and the Deck has transformed the experience. I'm loving it. Currently I still have to bring a laptop for productivity apps and streaming off netflix/amazon/etc. Has anyone successfully used a combination of a dock+portable keyboard&mouse to cover all those functions? Most hotels I stay in have a TV I could hook up to with an HDMI cable. Is there any good solution for streaming off of conventional web-based services? Would be great to be able to get a more portable package and leave the laptop at home.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
It should be fine to stream through chrome on desktop mode. I know plex worked like that when I tried.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bruxism posted:

I travel on long flights often for work and the Deck has transformed the experience. I'm loving it. Currently I still have to bring a laptop for productivity apps and streaming off netflix/amazon/etc. Has anyone successfully used a combination of a dock+portable keyboard&mouse to cover all those functions? Most hotels I stay in have a TV I could hook up to with an HDMI cable. Is there any good solution for streaming off of conventional web-based services? Would be great to be able to get a more portable package and leave the laptop at home.

I use the Logitech Master MX 3 mouse and the Logitech Mx Keyboard (wireless). They each have a button that lets you pair it to a different 'saved' machine. 1 being my work laptop and 2 being my Deck. Lots of M/KBs have similar functionality. Logitech also has unifying receivers that you can plug into a dock that lets you use their 2.4GHz poo poo instead of bluetooth.

When you're done with work, you can just close the laptop, push "2" on your keyboard and mouse, and start using your deck like a computer without moving poo poo around. It might not be able to run games at high resolution but you can do desktop poo poo, including streaming off a website, super easy in desktop mode at 4k. Or you can set your browser up to work within gaming mode. I personally like to play on my Deck while watching tv.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 28, 2023

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

If anyone got the cheap chromcast stadia bundle and have one of the controllers laying around like I did, now that Bluetooth is unlocked it shows up as an Xbox controller and works on the deck. I’ve used the controller more today than during the entire life of Stadia and it’s actually pretty nice. Thanks for the free controller google.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Hmm Watchdogs Legion is $12...might be a decent deck game

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s not a decent anything game

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah there’s one good Watch Dogs game and it’s the second one from the brief period where Ubisoft weren’t just reskinning the same open world game 3 times a year.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Whilst I see why it's be more popular than the first, I don't understand the praise WD2 gets.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Does anyone have one of these?
https://deckmate.me/products/deck-mate-entire-system

Want it mostly for the kickstand and battery pack connector

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Rinkles posted:

Whilst I see why it's be more popular than the first, I don't understand the praise WD2 gets.

It briefly seemed as though they really understood what abt the original game was so mortifying (that it even beat out Adam Jensen in the “what programmers think is cool” character design arms race). Naturally Aiden Pierce gets to unironically show up Poochie style anyway

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CharlestheHammer posted:

Dead space works on the deck, but it crashes if you look at the map. So best wait until that’s fixed

Chiming in to say I'm 5 hours into it and it works really well and looks fantastic. But yeah, it's... rough. The initial shaders took a long rear end time to compile and it seems to hitch hard when it has to make new ones. It can get pretty jarring.

However, the game is amazing so far. If anyone is a huge fan of the original, this has been better in ever conceivable way.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Is the steam deck still the best product for pc gaming on the go compared to some of these other things that have come out? I'm having to travel a lot more for work and I don't want to haul my computer and monitor around.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Without question

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

Is the steam deck still the best product for pc gaming on the go compared to some of these other things that have come out? I'm having to travel a lot more for work and I don't want to haul my computer and monitor around.

Yes, the other handheld PCs have their benefits but they don't give better performance unless you're cranking the power draw up and massively sacrificing battery life. Then the ones that have bigger batteries to counter that end up being stupidly heavy, and the main reason you'd get one over the Deck is because you think the Deck is too big and heavy. They're also all more expensive than the Deck. Maybe after another year there'll be actually more powerful handhelds (Ayaneo is saying they'll have a handheld out with a dedicated GPU this year but haven't said what that GPU will be, though I'm assuming an AMD laptop GPU) but that's going to be a full year at least.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 28, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

njsykora posted:

Yes, the other handheld PCs have their benefits but they don't give better performance unless you're cranking the power draw up and massively sacrificing battery life. Then the ones that have bigger batteries to counter that end up being stupidly heavy, and the main reason you'd get one over the Deck is because you think the Deck is too big and heavy. They're also all more expensive than the Deck.

And while there's cool stuff about those other handhelds, they can have multiple versions with notable differences and meanwhile power-wise the Deck is the Deck no matter what model you get. Being able to just look up a game and get a very definitive answer on how it runs on the Deck is lowkey a really nice feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm good with big and heavy though, as my use would primarily be sitting at home with it. Seems like the deck is still the best well rounded choice though, thanks everyone.