Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I agree with this but it's a bit of a shame that so much of the outside of the map is still random black forests and meadows. It'd be nice if the plains and mistlands dominated the edges a bit more.

Notwithstanding the far north and south for obvious reasons, Mistlands is all over the place near the edges of the map (and Meadows can't spawn anywhere near there). You're right about Black Forest and Plains though.

Relative to center of map, and setting aside the biomes that only care about absolute map position or altitude, the allowed spawn areas are something along these lines:

0-5%: Meadows
5-20%: Meadows, Black Forest
20-30%: Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp
30-50%: Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp, Plains
50-60%: Black Forest, Swamp, Plains
60-80%: Black Forest, Plains, Mistlands (in worlds created prior to the Mistlands update, you can also find Swamp in this range)
80-100%: Black Forest, Mistlands

So if you wanted maximum nighttime spawn fight club biome variety nearby, you'd either look in the 30-50% band (meadows but no mistlands), or right along the 60% mark (mistlands but no meadows), and either way you'd shoot for a spot that also happened to have the altitude to generate a mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I hope in the future there will be either a patch or a mod that adds more points of interest to generate on the map, finding old structures is neat but there could be more.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I hope in the future there will be either a patch or a mod that adds more points of interest to generate on the map, finding old structures is neat but there could be more.

Imagine if you could download someone's already played through server, complete with bases.

I know you can do that already but they could add some features that remove anything player built within a set distance of the spawn and resets things like ore veins and cleared mines/dungeons.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vil posted:

Notwithstanding the far north and south for obvious reasons, Mistlands is all over the place near the edges of the map (and Meadows can't spawn anywhere near there). You're right about Black Forest and Plains though.

Relative to center of map, and setting aside the biomes that only care about absolute map position or altitude, the allowed spawn areas are something along these lines:

0-5%: Meadows
5-20%: Meadows, Black Forest
20-30%: Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp
30-50%: Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp, Plains
50-60%: Black Forest, Swamp, Plains
60-80%: Black Forest, Plains, Mistlands (in worlds created prior to the Mistlands update, you can also find Swamp in this range)
80-100%: Black Forest, Mistlands

So if you wanted maximum nighttime spawn fight club biome variety nearby, you'd either look in the 30-50% band (meadows but no mistlands), or right along the 60% mark (mistlands but no meadows), and either way you'd shoot for a spot that also happened to have the altitude to generate a mountain.

Ahh well it's interesting to see it broken out like that. But ya it'd be way better imo to restrict Black Forest to the inner 50%, either make the sides all Mistlands, or a Plains/Mistlands split.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Imagine if you could download someone's already played through server, complete with bases.

I know you can do that already but they could add some features that remove anything player built within a set distance of the spawn and resets things like ore veins and cleared mines/dungeons.

Only if the base is absolutely ruined, like the roof has caved in and there’s draugr in the main hall.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

rjmccall posted:

Only if the base is absolutely ruined, like the roof has caved in and there’s draugr in the main hall.

drat that's even better.

They could hold a contest for people to submit servers to find the good ones then hand modify them to get that ruined look.

Hell that could just be a community project right now minus the draugr thing. Unless there's a way to dev command spawners.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Pretty sure that biome placement is something that can genuinely be blamed on the incomplete nature of the game. They were talking a couple more biomes in addition to the polar biomes iirc. The early game biomes would by necessity be cut off much earlier if that were the case.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Looking at mistlands it got me thinking. A gjall balloon-ship.

As a side, id like to see a "builder's harness" that reduces the weight of building materials and refined metals to ease up on how annoying building can get sometimes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm a bit burnt out on valheim at the moment, but I love the fishing changes I've read about. I know some people hate it, but to me, the fishing in this game is very good. It involves stamina management, it improves a skill, and it doesn't just auto spawn fish when you cast and there's no idiotic mini-game.

My small gaming group and I have moved over to Sea of Thieves, and while I truly love that game, the fishing in it is complete bullshit. Long long Valheim fishing!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Burns posted:

Looking at mistlands it got me thinking. A gjall balloon-ship.

As a side, id like to see a "builder's harness" that reduces the weight of building materials and refined metals to ease up on how annoying building can get sometimes.

I thought about something this idea- like either an outfit or an accessory that increases skills faster, creates more items and/or uses less stamina or materials: like a forester's suspenders, chef's hat, blacksmith's apron, etc. Stuff to make crafting/building easier at higher tiers of equipment.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
So everyone else using the beta are getting frame rates 17-30 where it used to be 60+, right?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The only time I notice a frame rate drop is when a world save happens. My view usually blurs too if I'm in a fight

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

Andrigaar posted:

So everyone else using the beta are getting frame rates 17-30 where it used to be 60+, right?

Yeah. I had to stop playing last night because the frame drops were giving me a headache.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Hold up. I thought there was supposed to be performance improvemnts since last patch.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Burns posted:

Hold up. I thought there was supposed to be performance improvemnts since last patch.

They are talking about a beta patch so presumably they'll get feedback and not enact it. A bunch of decisions from this beta patch seem kind of poor so hopefully they pay attention to feedback.

I've been listening to an early history podcast and it's been making me want to play this game a lot more. The narrator is just now getting to the copper age and I caught myself thinking "been there" sympathetically.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

That’s me when I watch the last kingdom. There was also a Viking movie I watched on Amazon where that looked like it was ripped from a valheim build

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I genuinely think the valheim people listened to this podcast or read some of the same sources at the very least.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What podcast?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

What podcast?

Tides of History

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Is there a mod that puts the circlet flashlight on a different item? Or makes it not take a head slot?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Tides of History

nice, solid choice

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

They really need to let you group different objects together and plop them down as a set.

Also, do enemies only spawn in the mists in the mistlands biome? I found a neat little mistlands archipelago which is just a bunch of rocks jutting out of the water, and no mists to be seen. If I build a base there, will I get owned? I just beat moder.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Also, do enemies only spawn in the mists in the mistlands biome? I found a neat little mistlands archipelago which is just a bunch of rocks jutting out of the water, and no mists to be seen. If I build a base there, will I get owned? I just beat moder.

I've fought seekers along the shoreline and very much not in the mist areas of the biome, so I assume the answer is "no".

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

They really need to let you group different objects together and plop them down as a set.

The base structures themselves will prevent spawns in a certain radius, so you can stay safe by proactively carpeting the area with workbenches and campfires. But if it's at the edge of a bigger mistlands, that's not going to stop a gjall from spawning further in and then delicately wafting its way over to your base.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

No. The most dangerous area in mistlands are the archipelagos , because seekers will fly out and drop attack you and your boat and it's really hard to fight them off if you can't just sail away instantly

I made several mistlands base and a giant road that went from one shore, up and over a big mountain, then down through mistlands to another shore. The seekers are by far the most dangerous thing because of their unexpectedness and accuracy. Gjalls can't aim for poo poo, soldiers can't traverse terrain

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just don't go anywhere near mists in a boat. Seems like a recipe for heartache. Fortunately I don't know if it's a bug or a feature or completely random but there always seems to be a little bit of black forest near the Mistlands where you can stash your boat.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Yeah one of the seeker attacks just sends you flying from the knockback, I fear getting caught by that on a high rock over the water will be a fast way to drown

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

No. The most dangerous area in mistlands are the archipelagos , because seekers will fly out and drop attack you and your boat and it's really hard to fight them off if you can't just sail away instantly

I made several mistlands base and a giant road that went from one shore, up and over a big mountain, then down through mistlands to another shore. The seekers are by far the most dangerous thing because of their unexpectedness and accuracy. Gjalls can't aim for poo poo, soldiers can't traverse terrain

Gjalls cant aim for poo poo but if they catch you on a boat, the ticks they drop will attach themselves to the bottom of the boat if they can't get to you and just destroy your boat from a position you can't do anything about.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
They've put out an Ashlands terrain picture on twitter. Looks like more jumping around https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1620828448221429761

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I guess I should have expected that the floor would be lava

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Presumably that means more liquids that aren't tar or the seas. Maybe the basis for mountain springs/waterfalls?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i just want more passive base defenses if this zone is going to be worse than mistlands, maybe a shield like the trader has

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Shibawanko posted:

i just want more passive base defenses if this zone is going to be worse than mistlands, maybe a shield like the trader has

Right? Isn't like one of the tips "it's a dangerous world so build a good defense"? loving how?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If a magic shield needed to be powered that would be an acceptable homestead task unlike refilling lanterns.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
They should buff up and add variety to existing biomes before adding a new one IMHO.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Kibayasu posted:

If a magic shield needed to be powered that would be an acceptable homestead task unlike refilling lanterns.

shield should take resin to keep running just to keep that special feeling

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Slow News Day posted:

They should buff up and add variety to existing biomes before adding a new one IMHO.

They are? ashlands already exists in the south of the map.

I imagine you wouldn't want any wood structures down there, probably stone only.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They are? ashlands already exists in the south of the map.

I imagine you wouldn't want any wood structures down there, probably stone only.

I think they mean they want more variety in the current pre Ashlands biomes but

That’s clearly not the design intent so it’s a futile request.

Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp, Mountain and Plains are all very clearly feature complete in terms of the depth the game aspires to achieve.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Bears.

This game needs bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think they mean they want more variety in the current pre Ashlands biomes but

That’s clearly not the design intent so it’s a futile request.

Meadows, Black Forest, Swamp, Mountain and Plains are all very clearly feature complete in terms of the depth the game aspires to achieve.
Ocean.

Imo, that should easily take precedent if they have any ideas on it at all.