Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

As determined by the DeVos DOE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Ok. You asked a question, and I answered as someone who has been following PSLF very closely.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Right the question is what happened to all those people. Did they get to reapply under this administration?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I suppose I didn't answer the second half of the question.

Yes, the Waiver issued that ended in October let people reapply even if their payments didn't meet the requirements of the original legislation, and has helped some people get PSLF issued who had the wrong type of loan or payment. That has ended, but the changes to IBR should help going forward. But for some people that didn't qualify in time for the October waiver deadline, are being hung out to dry.

e: Biden admin has helped some, but not in all the ways they could have.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Well, this is crappy, if I’m reading this correctly. MOHELA states that while Im technically eligible for PSLF, I can go gently caress myself for the foreseeable future.

I started paying on my student loans in… 2006-2007, after consolidating them with Nelnet, shortly after I got my degree.

When PSLF was originally announced, I submitted my form and was rejected because apparently my consolidation loan through Nelnet was the wrong kind of loan. Which I thought was lovely, since there was no way to know a given consolidation loan type in 2006 would not cut the mustard years later when they came up with PSLF.

In this latest go-round, with all the talk of making things less Byzantine so that people might actually qualify this time, I resubmitted everything and reconsolidated through MOHELA.

I just got a letter from MOHELA telling me that I have 119 qualifying payments remaining. So it seems like I’m back to square one again, despite having worked in the public sector and faithfully paying off my loan for the last 16 loving years.

I’m a little discouraged. Is it worth it to dredge up my Nelnet payment history and appeal their payment count calculation?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm kind of in the same boat, I consolidated but I don't think my pslf payments carried over. My only hope is that I can get on the new IDR and pay just little payments until it just gets forgiven.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My payment count updated multiple times before they finally got things right. Nelnet was my servicer for at least part of the time, and seemed to be the last time period updated.

I’d call and at least ask for general info first. The whole point of TEPSLF was to fix things for those of us screwed over by a badly designed system.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The Cubelodyte posted:

I’m a little discouraged. Is it worth it to dredge up my Nelnet payment history and appeal their payment count calculation?

It's potentially worth 119 payments.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
A check for 10 grand just showed up in the mail. Did something happen?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TheScott2K posted:

A check for 10 grand just showed up in the mail. Did something happen?

Nothing with forgiveness. Who is it from?

Did you pay $10k during the pause and/or request a refund?

Were you part of the settlement the DOE organized for people scammed by student loan consolidators?

Did you qualify for PSLF?

If it's a check from the DOE and it's not for any of those three, then I have no idea.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

We paid off the remaining $25K in 2021, so this appears to be the $10,000 refund from that. It's from the Department of Treasury. I used their authenticity checker on their website and it's legit, real check. I wasn't part of any settlement. I had just thought they weren't issuing any of these until after the court case, if they won. Honestly I'd written the whole thing off at this point.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheScott2K posted:

We paid off the remaining $25K in 2021, so this appears to be the $10,000 refund from that. It's from the Department of Treasury. I used their authenticity checker on their website and it's legit, real check. I wasn't part of any settlement. I had just thought they weren't issuing any of these until after the court case, if they won. Honestly I'd written the whole thing off at this point.

I'm not sure what the check is, but it's not part of the $10k relief program. That's still in flux.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

"this refund is being sent due to customer refund req of payment due to covid 19 cares act" I'm pretty sure it's a student loan refund. We haven't applied for anything else.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

loving cash that thing asap op

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
If student loan forgiveness does actually happen, will it be a check like that that we could then use on whatever we want?
I guess I just assumed it would be automatically applied to the loan balances. A check would be dope.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheScott2K posted:

"this refund is being sent due to customer refund req of payment due to covid 19 cares act" I'm pretty sure it's a student loan refund. We haven't applied for anything else.

Right that is different from the $10k relief act that is currently held up in courts.

If you made payments during the COVID emergency pause, you are eligible to get those payments back as a refund (but technically you'll still have to repay that amount back when the emergency pause ends).

That is totally separate from the relief act held up in court.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 28, 2023

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barreft posted:

loving cash that thing asap op

LoL rolling straight into the kids' college fund

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I missed the boat to file for PSLF that would include the deferment period (deadline was end of November I think?) according to coworkers. Is it correct that if I file for PSLF now it will not count the last 3 years of deferred payments, only actual payments made as a federal employee?

I have less than 10k in loans since I worked my way through university, but that's still 1/4 of my annual income so gently caress off I'm not paying it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheScott2K posted:

LoL rolling straight into the kids' college fund

Technically you still owe that money btw. You've just been granted a temporary relief from it. Just want to make sure you're aware. This is *not* the forgiveness part!!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Technically you still owe that money btw. You've just been granted a temporary relief from it. Just want to make sure you're aware. This is *not* the forgiveness part!!

I really don't get the sense you know what you're talking about

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheScott2K posted:

I really don't get the sense you know what you're talking about

You kinda sound like you're trolling, but not sure why you'd troll the Student Loan thread.

Anyway, in case you're not - what you received was a refund request for loans you paid during the pandemic pause.

I mean, you said it yourself: "this refund is being sent due to customer refund req of payment due to covid 19 cares act"

That is *not* a forgiveness of that amount. You will still owe it back once the pandemic pause ends.

The $10,000 (or $20,000 if you have Pell Grant) *forgiveness* is still tied up in the courts and has not been doled out yet.

The CARES act from which you received *temporary* relief is NOT the Biden forgiveness plan.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

No troll here.

We owed $0 on our student loans after wholly paying them off during the panny to the tune of something like $25k. We applied for the $10k refund, as our understanding was that the refund functioned as forgiveness for people who had paid their poo poo off during the pause. Why would the government be sending people who owe $0 "temporary relief" or whatever?

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I made a few loan payments during the pause and now I'm wondering if I should ask for a refund and just park the money in a high-yield savings account until the forgiveness is sorted one way or the other.

I'd still have a balance even if I received the maximum relief, so it's technically a wash. But between 6% inflation and 3% savings interest, seems like it could yield an advantage.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheScott2K posted:

No troll here.

We owed $0 on our student loans after wholly paying them off during the panny to the tune of something like $25k. We applied for the $10k refund, as our understanding was that the refund functioned as forgiveness for people who had paid their poo poo off during the pause. Why would the government be sending people who owe $0 "temporary relief" or whatever?

It *does* seem a little counter-intuitive at first, but yes anybody that made payments during the CARES pause (which is still ongoing) can ask for it back. Even if they have paid down to $0! But that is not free money. You're getting it back and it's put back on your balance.

But I mean you have to apply for it and it sounds like from what you quoted you did actually apply for it.

Some people probably underwent some serious hardship thinking they had to make payments and getting the refund could provide some financial relief to them (and kick the can down the road of payment). Who knows. But that's what happened.

I just don't want you to be surprised. That was *not* the $10,000 Biden Forgiveness plan. That has not actually happened. You will owe that $10K back.

Now, hopefully Biden's relief plan goes into effect eventually and that $10K balance will be wiped and you can't leave it in your kids savings account! But just be prepared for it not happening.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

T Zero posted:

I made a few loan payments during the pause and now I'm wondering if I should ask for a refund and just park the money in a high-yield savings account until the forgiveness is sorted one way or the other.

I'd still have a balance even if I received the maximum relief, so it's technically a wash. But between 6% inflation and 3% savings interest, seems like it could yield an advantage.

Lots of people doing things like this.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Is there any downside or risk though?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

T Zero posted:

Is there any downside or risk though?

As long as you don't forget plaything the loan once payments start back up, no.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

To be clear there are to unrelated programs:

The CARES act that allows you to get any money back that you paid into your loans after mid-march 2020 (I think). This amount comes back to you in the form of a check from the treasury but then your loans are reinstated for that amount of money.

Loan forgiveness is separate and tied up in courts.

And to be 100% clear: unless you got forgiveness through some other program you still owe any money refunded to you by the CARES act.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

TheScott2K posted:

No troll here.

The ‘temporary relief’ is the ongoing payment pause due to Covid that started in March 2020, wholly separate from the Biden $10K forgiveness plan.

Have you logged into your account with your loan servicer? There should be a $10K balance waiting for you after that refund (that may or may not be later forgiven depending on how Biden’s court case goes)

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 28, 2023

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

The Cubelodyte posted:

Well, this is crappy, if I’m reading this correctly. MOHELA states that while Im technically eligible for PSLF, I can go gently caress myself for the foreseeable future.

I started paying on my student loans in… 2006-2007, after consolidating them with Nelnet, shortly after I got my degree.

When PSLF was originally announced, I submitted my form and was rejected because apparently my consolidation loan through Nelnet was the wrong kind of loan. Which I thought was lovely, since there was no way to know a given consolidation loan type in 2006 would not cut the mustard years later when they came up with PSLF.

In this latest go-round, with all the talk of making things less Byzantine so that people might actually qualify this time, I resubmitted everything and reconsolidated through MOHELA.

I just got a letter from MOHELA telling me that I have 119 qualifying payments remaining. So it seems like I’m back to square one again, despite having worked in the public sector and faithfully paying off my loan for the last 16 loving years.

Not sure if you're still looking at this thread, but did you ever get any update to this? My PSLF application finally processed, but so far is only showing payment history from after I consolidated to Mohela. I'm assuming they're still working through my payment history with prior servicers but I wish the language were a little more clear.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So my consolidation I applied for in August.... Just went through. Jesus.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My PSLF was just approved. 250k of debt off my shoulders.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Beerdeer posted:

My PSLF was just approved. 250k of debt off my shoulders.

good lord, congrats

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Illusive Man posted:

Not sure if you're still looking at this thread, but did you ever get any update to this? My PSLF application finally processed, but so far is only showing payment history from after I consolidated to Mohela. I'm assuming they're still working through my payment history with prior servicers but I wish the language were a little more clear.

MOHELA was in no way ready to transfer all PSLF loans over and they have an absolutely massive backlog. I submitted an ECF in early November and it still hasn't been processed.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

The Illusive Man posted:

I did, finally, two days ago. I was happily surprised to get another letter from MOHELA stating that they'd completed their review of my payment history and all my current outstanding loan balances were forgiven. I was in the exact same boat as you. I'd been sort of avoiding calling them to appeal their earlier findings, since I was dreading spending hours on hold only to be told to gently caress off or whatever, but either there was some second phase of loan analysis they completed, or maybe it took them a bit to get the data from Nelnet. In any event, my outstanding balances all read $0.00, so I'm pretty pleased about it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Cubelodyte posted:

I did, finally, two days ago. I was happily surprised to get another letter from MOHELA stating that they'd completed their review of my payment history and all my current outstanding loan balances were forgiven. I was in the exact same boat as you. I'd been sort of avoiding calling them to appeal their earlier findings, since I was dreading spending hours on hold only to be told to gently caress off or whatever, but either there was some second phase of loan analysis they completed, or maybe it took them a bit to get the data from Nelnet. In any event, my outstanding balances all read $0.00, so I'm pretty pleased about it.

Congrats to both of you guys and thanks for sharing your info with other goons and helping people navigate this confusing process.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
So next Tuesday is just the day SCOTUS hears people argue before them about the forgiveness and it could still be a while before a decision is made?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thom12255 posted:

So next Tuesday is just the day SCOTUS hears people argue before them about the forgiveness and it could still be a while before a decision is made?

Yes. Oral arguments start next Tuesday.

Final decision won't be until June unless they expedite it and release the opinion by itself separate from the other opinions for the term. That is not super likely and only done for major emergencies. I doubt SCOTUS considers this a time-sensitive emergency.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

If they do strike it down I hope Biden has the stones to be obstinate and just keep extending the pause out of spite or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

pencilhands posted:

If they do strike it down I hope Biden has the stones to be obstinate and just keep extending the pause out of spite or something.

With the state of emergency ending in May I highly doubt it would be able to keep happening even if he wanted, he'd get sued and forced to end it I'm guessing.