Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

At 2-4 hours per week you'll be playing for a long time. Like, you can still make progress but you're gonna be playing for a hella long time.

I would definitely do the dedicated server thing if you decide to play, because that gives you some slightly flexible hours. If one person wants to hop on half an hour early or stay an hour later, you don't need the host player. You might want to make some sort of house rule about not doing tech unlocks until everyone is together or something like that.

(Also, you can set a dedicated server to keep running the world even when no players are on. Kinda wasteful, but it would mean you'd never be waiting on machines once you got coal power running.)

Playing for a really long time is fine as long as there's some progress every week. In fact it might work well, we're constantly struggling to find co-op games that support 5 players.

Setting up a persistent server is easy, one of the guys in the group does that regularly for games like this. The only issue with persistent servers is that we've had problems where someone in the group would put in 10x the hours everyone else was so it wasn't much fun for the other 4 in the weekly session. That someone was definitely me when we were on Valheim. After that happened with a few games in a row we might have learned our lesson though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Playing for a really long time is fine as long as there's some progress every week. In fact it might work well, we're constantly struggling to find co-op games that support 5 players.

There will be progress every week for a month or two. When you hit tier 5 & 6 it gets much slower, but by that point you'll either be hooked or you won't.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Setting up a persistent server is easy, one of the guys in the group does that regularly for games like this. The only issue with persistent servers is that we've had problems where someone in the group would put in 10x the hours everyone else was so it wasn't much fun for the other 4 in the weekly session. That someone was definitely me when we were on Valheim. After that happened with a few games in a row we might have learned our lesson though.

So the good thing about someone putting in extra hours is that everything is global unlocks and one person grinding won't make them overpowered. If that guy unlocks the jetpack, everyone can have a jetpack.

The bad thing is that y'all might come back and the game has gone from making steel to making computers and everyone else is kinda lost looking at the jump in complexity.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
I used the dedicated server while playing entirely solo, partly so that I could leave it running in the background producing without having the game client itself running, but mostly so that when the game client had one of its frequent crashes I wouldn't lose anything because it hadn't autosaved in a while.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Klyith posted:

There will be progress every week for a month or two. When you hit tier 5 & 6 it gets much slower, but by that point you'll either be hooked or you won't.

So the good thing about someone putting in extra hours is that everything is global unlocks and one person grinding won't make them overpowered. If that guy unlocks the jetpack, everyone can have a jetpack.

The bad thing is that y'all might come back and the game has gone from making steel to making computers and everyone else is kinda lost looking at the jump in complexity.

This happened with me. Started up together and a couple days later there was a 30 belt bus system set up with a smart splitter sushi belt sorter from a train station input. I hosed off to build satellite factories to train stuff in until I took a copy of the save and went to SP with it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

In my game I have a guy who does this but he's an artist and isn't as interested in the factory building stuff, so he'll go in for 8 hours and explore for new resource nodes and other goodies, and will also build structures and decorations around my and the other player's spaghetti mess. This is the ideal outcome in all ways.

If you think someone is gonna log in and dump 8 hours into advancing the tech tree that will probably kinda suck for everyone else if I'm being honest. There will be a massive jump in complexity everyone suddenly has to deal with.

Your server guy might also want to do regular resets of the server, when a single session is running for too long historically that causes substantial performance problems. Idk if they fixed that in the 2 more recent updates though I haven't been able to convince my buddies to play in a little bit.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the multiplayer advice everyone.

I pitched the game last night and I think the guys are interested so we'll probably give it a go when we're bored with our current game.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The game slowed down for me around the time I was dealing with oil, I started having enough projects to think about that I'd spend days or weeks figuring one out and just switch to another. Multiple people might make that part easier. You'll also probably struggle with having enough power for the first chunk of the game, that's one job that someone could work on for a long time and not really effect what other people are doing in a negative way. It sucks to finish a nice big steel factory or something and it immediately shuts down because you don't produce enough power.

Transport also becomes an issue, setting up a rail network or trucks takes a large amount of time. Aluminum production is a hell of a thing to figure out. Ongoing exploration for hard drives. Producing enough consumables (med inhalers, ammo, nobelisks, etc) and equipment for everyone to have what they need would be no small thing and they can't necessarily be automated (there's no way to make inhalers from 100% mined resources right?)

Then of course is the ongoing struggle to make things pretty. I have a ring railroad around the map but I'd really like to make some nice big bridges instead of having things just floating out in space.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The trick is to play with people who don't step on each other's toes and more importantly, can tolerate each other's chaos. I play a duos game with my partner and while she loves dumb projects and handling transport, whenever we have to make something like a heavy modular frame assembly line that's left to me (and I like it). Don't look under any foundations we use to hide our belt spaghetti.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

boxen posted:

(there's no way to make inhalers from 100% mined resources right?)

Unfortunately no. There are four different recipes for inhalers but they all require plants/fungus or animal parts and none of them can be automated. It used to be one of the main things I wanted in the game but after regenerating health was introduced it's not that big a deal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I turn all creatures to passive instantly. They don’t add anything to the game for me

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

SettingSun posted:

The trick is to play with people who don't step on each other's toes and more importantly, can tolerate each other's chaos. I play a duos game with my partner and while she loves dumb projects and handling transport, whenever we have to make something like a heavy modular frame assembly line that's left to me (and I like it). Don't look under any foundations we use to hide our belt spaghetti.

If I do end playing with my group I'll have to let go of my need to keep things neat and organized. With only a few hours a week to gently caress around that shouldn't be too difficult.

The group's game personalities range from "efficiency at all costs" to "chaos elemental" so these things are always interesting.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

I turn all creatures to passive instantly. They don’t add anything to the game for me

I went so far as to get the mod that not only removes the creatures entirely but also removes gas pockets. None of that enhances my gameplay in any way shape or form

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

I went so far as to get the mod that not only removes the creatures entirely but also removes gas pockets. None of that enhances my gameplay in any way shape or form

Yeah, the noises they make are disgusting to me, so passive doesn't work. Also I did the same with gas after I found out there's no way to remove them. I'm fine working around stuff if there's an official way to deal with it down the line but if it's just persistent than no thanks.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Animal protein is a great boost to sink ticket sales so I actually go out of my way to bash some heads now. Or rather, shoot at them with these hugely damaging bolts of explosive rebar.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SettingSun posted:

more importantly, can tolerate each other's chaos. I

When my brother goes off to make a factory and I go to check on his progress:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When my partner goes to make something and asks me to check it out I can only go 'looks good babe!' while screaming internally.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
BELTS

Still a lot of work to be done but that's the hardest part out of the way. Setting up the item mall is always one of the best parts of any playthrough, looking forward to having this one functional.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Has anyone got any tips for nuclear power? I am at the stage where I need to spin up another power plant and I've just unlocked nuclear, just not sure if it is going to be a massive pita compared to another fuel plant.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

BELTS

Still a lot of work to be done but that's the hardest part out of the way. Setting up the item mall is always one of the best parts of any playthrough, looking forward to having this one functional.

Are the trucks acting as the overflow relief in this set up ?

Hard for me to see things on my phone

euphronius fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 27, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dravs posted:

Has anyone got any tips for nuclear power? I am at the stage where I need to spin up another power plant and I've just unlocked nuclear, just not sure if it is going to be a massive pita compared to another fuel plant.

Nuclear is going to be a big pain to set up compared to fuel, but that's the fun of it. It requires basically everything, and needs you to figure out a way to deal with the waste. In return you're probably never going to have to worry about power again.

Compared to oil there's not much in the way of secret tips for efficiency or anything. The nuclear items have alternate recipes but they're not objectively better. Just settle in to build a nice new facility to handle it.
A bit later you'll unlock plutonium power, which offers you a choice between being able to sink the fuel rods (making your nuclear power infinitely sustainable) or burn them for quite a lot more power. Up to you which way you want to go.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 27, 2023

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
if you're gonna go nuclear I say just find your most convenient uranium ore node, max it out with a mark 3 miner with 3 power shards, and base your production around that number. it's going to be roughly the same level of complicated whether you build 1 nuke gen or 12, so go big.

getting the base power itself up and running is a task but not ridiculous-- adding on the waste management components to sink plutonium fuel rods gives it a whole other level of complexity. it is definitely manageable though, and I now have 66 gigawatts of power!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

euphronius posted:

Are the trucks acting as the overflow relief in this set up ?

Hard for me to see things on my phone

There are 33 truck stations linked to 33 storage bins, each station acts as a dropoff point for a specific building material. Fuel (batteries at this point) is brought in by the drone port and distributed to all the stations. Not going to do overflow at the mall, I always do that at the subfactories producing the supplies.

Every delivery route will be run by Cyberwagons being launched across the world by bounce pads. Probably underestimating what a hassle this will be.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Sarcasm doesn't come through written word quite so well.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

M_Gargantua posted:

Sarcasm doesn't come through written word quite so well.

I 100% believe they're serious

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

If you mean NoEyedSquareGuy, that is not sarcasm...

They have done some crazy stuff, like all factory cart worlds.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884092&userid=148423&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post519553835

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

100% real thing I'm doing. Cyber wagons are a silly easter egg but it's still possible to use them for automation and throughput doesn't really matter for an item mall. They have square wheels and drive like you would expect, can only transport one item stack at a time, and consume fuel faster than any other vehicle. They're the shittiest possible choice for transporting materials, worse than factory carts even, but they have a unique property where driving one onto a bounce pad will send them flying about 20 times farther than what the indicator shows. Might actually be easier to set up than the factory cart only world, and I don't have to build the big towers everywhere this time.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 27, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
But does it magically not unload as a physics object when it gets too far away from the player? All the other vehicles become abstractions at distance.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

It will become simplified at a distance but the route will still work. The introduction of ghosting made vehicle routes 100% reliable as long as they don't gridlock with another vehicle, even if something weird happens with the physics and they get knocked off course they'll ghost to the next node in the route after a few seconds.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Oh thats a nice fix.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Entirely blueprint constructed 20GW fuel plant in progress.

About 75% done. The best part about this is that right next door is my game's original 20GW fuel plant. It took me like two/three weeks to build and when I was done I decided to take a break from the game, just completely burnt out. This took me 2ish days to design the blueprints to my liking (98% of that time on aesthetics) and I threw this much of the plant up in a single day.

The old plant is 4 floors of generators and a floor of refineries/blenders. This one is a single floor. The building is so long that I'm running into the map's limits. I didn't know until today that the game will begin to kill you for straying outside the invisible border.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenebrais posted:

A bit later you'll unlock plutonium power, which offers you a choice between being able to sink the fuel rods (making your nuclear power infinitely sustainable) or burn them for quite a lot more power. Up to you which way you want to go.

IMO do not build a nuke plant without having plutonium unlocked and part of your build plan. If you're making large amounts of power -- enough that nukes are a good idea vs a turbo blend plant -- you're making too much waste to store.

OTOH totally agreed that the alt recipes for nuke stuff aren't needed or even really a good idea for most people. Pretty much all of them are to use uranium ore more efficiently at the cost of more buildings & more inputs. But you really don't need to use uranium more efficiently, a single node is up to like 75GW already. (And making plutonium more efficiently is straight up counterproductive if the goal is to have zero waste.)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ice Fist posted:

Entirely blueprint constructed 20GW fuel plant in progress.

Generator house done. Easily the longest building I've done right next to one of the tallest

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I haven't played this in years. Glad to see Blueprints in but the size is very restrictive, I can't even figure out how to get a 2 row setup of smelters to fit in this square.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

So I haven't played this in years. Glad to see Blueprints in but the size is very restrictive, I can't even figure out how to get a 2 row setup of smelters to fit in this square.

Embrace

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L
I
T
Y

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Embrace

V
E
R
T
I
C
A
L
I
T
Y

I refuse Factorio was too good for a Z-axis so I'm gonna pretend this is too!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

socialsecurity posted:

Did you mean more than 2 rows of smelters? Because 2 rows of smelters fits in the BP box just fine:

Foundries too:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How about a coal generator?

After looking it up and seeing that the hoverpack is gated behind like, the entire game, I cheated myself one with an editor and it is actually unbelievable they don't give you access to this earlier. It's restricted enough with the power pole distances and power usage requirements. I would say probably half my time playing is fighting with the camera/perspective and undoing things I placed just one square off, or getting back to places I fell off of or other poo poo. This should be unlocked with coal.

When you are placing walls on a square and they meet at the edge you get this little guy:

Is that just how it is

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

It's done.

I used the map editor to delete the only plant and I'm going to copy this one (I feel like I've paid my dues building two plants already). Then I'm not touching fuel power again for the rest of the playthrough. I'll be ~20 GW ahead of my max consumption which should be enough to get me to nuclear after I get drones going.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
All that fuel stuff is kind of off-putting, considering how large of a grid of the same it becomes, bringing some weird uniformity. Some double efficiency Mk.2 type of buildings to reduce the footprint would be nice.

I've been trying some decentralized power generation before my hiatus, to break it up visually, but that requires hauling fuel around the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zoux posted:

How about a coal generator?

They fixed the coal generators so they fit in the BP box, so yes you can do those.

zoux posted:

When you are placing walls on a square and they meet at the edge you get this little guy:

Is that just how it is

Yes. Walls used to be thinner and that notch was less visible, but it caused a lot of clipping and z-fighting issues. So now they have some thickness but you get indents.

You can use beams or small pillars to make a decorative corner or quoins, it looks good on large builds.

I really like the wall styling! Particularly on the generator section.

Combat Pretzel posted:

All that fuel stuff is kind of off-putting, considering how large of a grid of the same it becomes, bringing some weird uniformity. Some double efficiency Mk.2 type of buildings to reduce the footprint would be nice.

Power shards are better now. IMO a 250% machine is balanced about where I'd call a good mk2 version. And they've always been great for generators.

But also, that isn't that huge of a build that Ice Fist has there. It's just very long, and the main production space looks like it has some high ceilings so a lot of airspace. I think I'd have run the generator hall at right angles to make an overall T shape, which would make it a bit more visually compact from the outside. But I also always shard my fuel generators.