Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Just gonna say, if somebody does a good version of The Slap as :fuckoff: I'll buy it as a smilie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Vise the Stompy posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DAWN OF FOLD SOLDIER. ITS GUNDAM AERIAL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ERICHT SAMAYA. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN HAPPY BIRTHDAY SONGS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME EARTHIAN TERRORISTS

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

tsob posted:

Suletta is 17 and was assumed to be Ericht going into the show, the Vanadis Incident is 21 years ago when Ericht was 4 meaning Suletta can't really be Ericht without something going on but Prospera has outright said she's Elnora and refers to Suletta as her daughter; the fuckery going on inherently involves time because it's asking the viewer to question who is Suletta and the timing involved is one of the biggest aspects of why that's a question in the first place.

But the thing is, that is a contradiction that is easily resolved as long as you are not committed to Ericht = Suletta, and the show never says that. So the question simply becomes "Where or who is Ericht?"

Funnily, anyone who missed the prologue will have no problem squaring this all away.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do we have any real idea of what Prospera's revenge plan is? Because she seems supportive of Suletta's friendship and budding romance with Mio if her target is killing Delling, maybe that helps in getting closer to Delling, which in Episode 11 lets her give Delling a USB key with some info on it; but presumably that isn't like a virus. Feels like there's something deeper going on and it involves the Gundams?

No problem, glad we got it sorted. :)

I'm glad too.

We don't know, but Cradle Planet outright say her plot involves Suletta winning the duels and getting close to Miorine. It was assumed to be using it to get close to Delling and kill him, but now she's revealed to have been working for him all along...

Cradle Planet posted:

"Aerial, I'm home. Be happy for me. The door has opened."

The door? What are you talking about?

"They're holding mobile suit duels at the Asticassia School of Technology, and the winner will marry Delling's only daughter."

Fake Edit: At least I have the exact quote here!!

Yawgmoft posted:

"Cryo isn't interesting and it is a weak twist/mystery"

Semi-stable cryo. Prospera puts Eri into a semi-stable cryo pod and she wakes up 21 years later in a body that is 10 and a half years older.

Why is she so awkward and all her understanding of humans is through tv shows? Venture brothers sleep pods.

Prospera sacrificed her child's entire childhood for revenge. There, cryo is now interesting and it makes Prospera an evil witch without making the little girl from the prologue someone different than the girl you have been rooting for the entire show. All problems solved.

If we are using this to square away Ericht = Suletta, then this falls apart in Cradle Planet because she is awake for all of that, with Aerial never once hinting at Cryo and Suletta spending a lot of time becoming an amazing pilot. I'm curious how this is suppose to make cryo interesting and not a weak answer to the mystery, though. As someone else states, it kind of just.... ends the mystery with nothing gained for it.

Arc Hammer posted:

Some people just really want to upload a child's brain into the robot. It's Gundam it's happened before.

That's not the only answer.

Fake Edit: Dammit, beaten for most of my replies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's an option. It's not the option I want. I'd prefer it if Eri is still Suletta and there's some Permet or Gund fuckery going on that has caused her to be the way she is rather than being a clone or having a dead sister imprinted on thr AI

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kchama posted:

But the thing is, that is a contradiction that is easily resolved as long as you are not committed to Ericht = Suletta, and the show never says that. So the question simply becomes "Where or who is Ericht?"

Not really, beause assuming that Suletta isn't Ericht still leaves you with the immediate question of "so who or what the gently caress is she?" along with "where the gently caress did she come from to say she looks exactly like a grown up Ericht but Ericht was an only child and her father died?" and "what did Prospera do in the intervening years to have/get Suletta?". There is a still an obvioius question of what happened during the time period in question and why Suletta looks like Eri if she's not her. The show is inviting the audience to question the time since the prologue, and because several assumptions they had to know the audience would make (Suletta is Eri, Prospera wants revenge on Delling etc) have been punctured, the show is actively inviting people to doubt any assumptions that it's setting up.

Kchama posted:

If we are using this to square away Ericht = Suletta, then this falls apart in Cradle Planet because she is awake for all of that, with Aerial never once hinting at Cryo and Suletta spending a lot of time becoming an amazing pilot. I'm curious how this is suppose to make cryo interesting and not a weak answer to the mystery, though. As someone else states, it kind of just.... ends the mystery with nothing gained for it.

I don't think the actual answer is cryosleep, but at the same time I don't see how it's any worse as an answer than anything else because it can still be used as a jumping off point for new technology and new storylines and characterization once Suletta finds out she was in cryosleep for a few years; primarily why i.e. delving into the Vanadis Incident, her father's fate etc; especially if the cryosleep relates to GUND/permet scores, since it means Nadim is possibly alive in some form. What could other answers to the mystery offer that'd be inherently better? If she's a clone or a robot or whatever then she has to confront she's a clone or whatever, which can lead to character drama and plot, but it's not like it's impossible to mine "you were in cryosleep for x number of years" as a source of those things.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 27, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The new information I'm learning just makes the tweets I've seen along the lines of "Prospera's decades long plans depends on the romantic irresistibility of this doofus" even funnier. Because it's like, you mean she actually PLANNED on this happening!? :monocle:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aliens built a huge amount of drama out of Ripley being in cold storage for decades adrift in space. I don't see why it's a copout or somehow unsatisfactory if that does end up being the route they take.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Vise the Stompy posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A DAWN OF FOLD SOLDIER. ITS GUNDAM AERIAL AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ERICHT SAMAYA. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN HAPPY BIRTHDAY SONGS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME EARTHIAN TERRORISTS

:allears:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm just going with Ericht is Suletta and she just got her own age wrong because she's a dork

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

tsob posted:

Not really, beause assuming that Suletta isn't Ericht still leaves you with the immediate question of "so who or what the gently caress is she?" along with "where the gently caress did she come from to say she looks exactly like a grown up Ericht but Ericht was an only child and her father died?" and "what did Prospera do in the intervening years to have/get Suletta?". There is a still an obvioius question of what happened during the time period in question and why Suletta looks like Eri if she's not her. The show is inviting the audience to question the time since the prologue, and because several assumptions they had to know the audience would make (Suletta is Eri, Prospera wants revenge on Delling etc) have been punctured, the show is actively inviting people to doubt any assumptions that it's setting up.

Yes, but... none of those have to do with 'time fuckery'. They are questions, but there's nothing in you to inherently make you disbelieve the show when it says, constantly, that everything happened 21 years ago. Instead, indeed, the questions are all "So what happened in that massive 21 year gap?" questions.

quote:

I don't think the actual answer is cryosleep, but at the same time I don't see how it's any worse as an answer than anything else because it can still be used as a jumping off point for new technology and new storylines and characterization once Suletta finds out she was in cryosleep for a few years; primarily why i.e. delving into the Vanadis Incident, her father's fate etc; especially if the cryosleep relates to GUND/permet scores, since it means Nadim is possibly alive in some form. What could other answers to the mystery offer that'd be inherently better? If she's a clone or a robot or whatever then she has to confront she's a clone or whatever, which can lead to character drama and plot, but it's not like it's impossible to mine "you were in cryosleep for x number of years" as a source of those things.

Because there's literally nothing in the show that points to cryosleep, and the show at no point benefits from it being hidden from the viewer. And I'm not sure how there's any drama or mystery to be mined from cryosleep, because it answers everything and leads to nothing new. No one in the show knew her when she was 4 outside of her mother, who would obviously already know about the cryosleep, because she put her in it. Everyone who knew Ericht is dead. The only real question is "Why doesn't she remember anything about it or before it?" But there's no answer to that that changes anything, and indeed just means there's absolutely no drama from her meeting Miorine or Delling or anything.

As for the 'tech and storylines', unless there's going to be another big timeskip that needs Suletta or someone to stay the same age, I'm not sure the point. And it seems like seems like a huge steaming nothingburger if they dropped all those questions and the only intent was "Oh yeah, cyrosleep exists, I guess they can do experiments with it, yay." It doesn't seem particularly fruitful, and you'd think it would have come up already at all if it was in any way a part of GUND medical technology. Hell, you'd think Cardo's video would have mentioned it!

It just seems like a huge dead-end with no potential, and like a wet-fart answer to something the show has built up questions for the entire current run-time.

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

I'm just going with Ericht is Suletta and she just got her own age wrong because she's a dork

This just raises further questions!

Arc Hammer posted:

Aliens built a huge amount of drama out of Ripley being in cold storage for decades adrift in space. I don't see why it's a copout or somehow unsatisfactory if that does end up being the route they take.

... Because that was a completely different situation? And we knew cold sleep was a thing in Aliens because she literally wakes up in a cold sleep pod on screen in Aliens and and it's never treated as a mystery. She's told exactly what's going on and exactly how long she's been asleep. I'm not sure how you think that's comparable to G-Witch.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kchama posted:

Yes, but... none of those have to do with 'time fuckery'. They are questions, but there's nothing in you to inherently make you disbelieve the show when it says, constantly, that everything happened 21 years ago. Instead, indeed, the questions are all "So what happened in that massive 21 year gap?" questions.

They have to do with the time gap of 21 years, and the show going well "that was an incident at a Vanadis Institute" or whatever in a way that isn't definitive just invites the viewer to doubt whatever assumptions it sets up because, again, the show has set up and punctured assumptions multiple times as is.

Kchama posted:

Because there's literally nothing in the show that points to cryosleep, and the show at no point benefits from it being hidden from the viewer. And I'm not sure how there's any drama or mystery to be mined from cryosleep, because it answers everything and leads to nothing new. No one in the show knew her when she was 4 outside of her mother, who would obviously already know about the cryosleep, because she put her in it. Everyone who knew Ericht is dead. The only real question is "Why doesn't she remember anything about it or before it?" But there's no answer to that that changes anything, and indeed just means there's absolutely no drama from her meeting Miorine or Delling or anything.

The show doesn't benefit from hiding the answer at all if Suletta is Ericht no matter what the means is, and even if she isn't Ericht the show only benefits from it because of assumptions the prologue set up; a prologue that not everyone is guaranteed to have seen because it's not a direct part of the show. I'd also argue in a lot of such mystery cases the only benefit to hiding it from the viewer is that it drives discourse in the fandom, and not that it actually adds anything to the show itself. I don't know that this will definitively be the case in Witch from Mercury, but given who's directing it I at least suspect that it will. That aside, cryosleep doesn't lead to anything new for us as a viewer, but it can certainly lead to something new for the character in wanting to find out why she was in cryosleep in the first place, along with all the things she'd had to have forgotten like Cardo and Nadim in that instance. At which point it does link her to Delling and thus, Miorine, because she'd find out that ultimately, Delling was the one that killed her father.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 28, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

tsob posted:

They have to do with the time gap of 21 years, and the show going well "that was an incident at a Vanadis Institute" or whatever in a way that isn't definitive just invites the viewer to doubt whatever assumptions it sets up because, again, the show has set up and punctured assumptions multiple times as is.

The show was pretty definitive about it though. Like, yeah, it expected the viewer to be able to able to add 2 + 2 and get four and not insist that it's actually 10... in base 4 I'm FINE!, but it was pretty explicit in many areas, especially since the very first mention of the 21 year gap was "Your revenge for what happened 21 years ago" and "21 years ago was the Vanadis Incident, and at the same time Delling banned Gundams". The only way it wouldn't be obvious is if you were intent on some other theory being true that the 21 year gap would discredit.

quote:

The show doesn't benefit from hiding the answer at all if Suletta is Ericht no matter what the means is, and even if she isn't Ericht the show only benefits from it because of assumptions the prologue set up; a prologue that not everyone is guaranteed to have seen because it's not a direct part of the show. I'd also argue in a lot of such mystery cases the only benefit to hiding it from the viewer is that it drives discourse in the fandom, and not that it actually adds anything to the show itself. I don't know that this will definitively be the case in Witch from Mercury, but given who's directing it I at least suspect that it will. That aside, cryosleep doesn't lead to anything new for us as a viewer, but it can certainly lead to something new for the character in wanting to find out why she was in cryosleep in the first place, along with all the things she'd had to have forgotten like Cardo and Nadim in that instance. At which point it does link her to Delling and thus, Miorine, because she'd find out that ultimately, Delling was the one that killed her father.

The Prologue actually is a direct part of the show. They aired it as part of the regular broadcast, even, and streaming sites have it as 'Episode 0' in the episodes list. So any given viewer could be expected to know about the prologue. And it seems a lot less intended for 'hiding it from the viewer for discourse' because it's absolutely a thing that would effect the show and the plot. I mean, we're already seeing it effecting the show and plot as if Suletta was Eri she undoubtedly would be reacting differently.

As for the rest of it, while I guess, it seems like it'd be far too late to impact anything. She already knows and loves Miorine so at best we'd get a "Oh no! Anyways." because by then it'd be much easier to rationalize away. She doesn't remember Cardo and Nadim and if she was intended to be remembering them, it would have come up when Cardo came up originally, instead of just "who is she? Oh. Okay." And no real interest shown beyond surface level curiosity. That instead points to Suletta having zero knowledge of Cardo and never having met her if learning about her doesn't trigger anything. They already had a good chance to get the ball rolling if she had amnesia, and very specifically showed that there was nothing there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or she has those memories locked away somehow. Doesn't the OP have lyrics that allude to Suletta having memories she can't recall?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arc Hammer posted:

Or she has those memories locked away somehow. Doesn't the OP have lyrics that allude to Suletta having memories she can't recall?

Yeah, but again if you want to go down that road, you need to infer it's there to begin with. Asking who Cardo was with no further interest is a very specific response to use in a show, and the question shouldn't be "How has she forgotten Cardo?" but "Why does she not know who Cardo is?", because that has a much broader range of potential answers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, but again if you want to go down that road, you need to infer it's there to begin with. Asking who Cardo was with no further interest is a very specific response to use in a show, and the question shouldn't be "How has she forgotten Cardo?" but "Why does she not know who Cardo is?", because that has a much broader range of potential answers.

You could also interpret her asking "who is she" as Suletta experiencing a sense of deja vu. I certainly don't ask "who is s/he" when I see an infomercial host start in on something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kchama posted:

The only way it wouldn't be obvious is if you were intent on some other theory being true that the 21 year gap would discredit.

Or if, again, the show had primed you to doubt anything not definitively stated. Which it wasn't. You know how I know it wasn't? Because the question of whether the "Vanadis Incident" was the prologue permeated at least the entire English speaking fanbase, and the proof people have provided came after the final episode of the season from a website. You didn't doubt it, bully for you; that doesn't mean anyone who did had to have been locked into one specific theory.

Kchama posted:

The Prologue actually is a direct part of the show. They aired it as part of the regular broadcast, even, and streaming sites have it as 'Episode 0' in the episodes list.

It was only added to the Crunchyroll page several episodes in and plenty of people didn't know about it initially. It was also listed seperately on YouTube for a good while.

Kchama posted:

So any given viewer could be expected to know about the prologue. And it seems a lot less intended for 'hiding it from the viewer for discourse' because it's absolutely a thing that would effect the show and the plot. I mean, we're already seeing it effecting the show and plot as if Suletta was Eri she undoubtedly would be reacting differently.

I disagree, because if Suletta was Eri everything in the prologue would be a vague memory at best since to her all that happened was she was a bit scared and then saw some pretty lights and heard her dad singing. Not exactly the kind of trauama that sticks around for life or anything.

Kchama posted:

As for the rest of it, while I guess, it seems like it'd be far too late to impact anything. She already knows and loves Miorine so at best we'd get a "Oh no! Anyways." because by then it'd be much easier to rationalize away.

If that is the case then the drama the finale created with Suletta pulping a man 2 foot from her as Miorine reacts in shock would have no meaning either, because she loves Suletta so she'll just start the next episode by going "Anyways" and nothing ever being made of it. I kind of doubt that's the case, but maybe it will. We'll see, I guess.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wdarkk posted:

You could also interpret her asking "who is she" as Suletta experiencing a sense of deja vu. I certainly don't ask "who is s/he" when I see an infomercial host start in on something.

Sure, but the way it's portrayed isn't deja vu though. Suletta's just inquiring about Cardo to show the audience she has no prior knowledge of Cardo. That's the thing to catch there.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

love conquers manslaughter

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

love conquers manslaughter

As a Gundam fan I can confirm.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Except this wasn't the infomerical host, but the person whose work they are adapting for their business. It makes sense to be curious who she was.

tsob posted:

Or if, again, the show had primed you to doubt anything not definitively stated. Which it wasn't. You know how I know it wasn't? Because the question of whether the "Vanadis Incident" was the prologue permeated at least the entire English speaking fanbase, and the proof people have provided came after the final episode of the season from a website. You didn't doubt it, bully for you; that doesn't mean anyone who did had to have been locked into one specific theory.

It was only added to the Crunchyroll page several episodes in and plenty of people didn't know about it initially. It was also listed seperately on YouTube for a good while.

I mean Japan fucks up marketing in America all the time, but the fact that it aired as the first broadcast episode makes it clear they intended for people to have seen it.

And the question only permeated because people didn't WANT to believe that the Vanadis Incident was 21 years ago. You can question a lot when you feel it's in your best interest to doubt. We learned about the 'revenge for 21 years ago' in episode 4, and episode 6 specifically stated that 21 years ago was the Vanadis Incident directly. The only reason to doubt this is if you didn't want it to be 21 years ago, which is why people started making up complete nonsense to try and make it otherwise. I didn't doubt it because it gave literally no evidence to doubt it with. If you have to make up stuff completely unsupported by the show to support your theory, then you don't really care if something is definitively stated or not. I don't think I've ever seen any evidence AGAINST it being 21 years ago outside of "Well, Suletta is 17..."

Like, this is why I don't have any truck with the robot or clone theories cuz there's nothing to indicate that these are a possibility.

quote:

I disagree, because if Suletta was Eri everything in the prologue would be a vague memory at best since to her all that happened was she was a bit scared and then saw some pretty lights and heard her dad singing. Not exactly the kind of trauama that sticks around for life or anything.

Okay, but she'd remember who Cardo was, who she and her mother were both very close to, and she wouldn't have to ask who Cardo was (since the video has at the same age as when Ericht last saw her!) and just shrug off the information with "Oh, ok."

quote:

If that is the case then the drama the finale created with Suletta pulping a man 2 foot from her as Miorine reacts in shock would have no meaning either, because she loves Suletta so she'll just start the next episode by going "Anyways" and nothing ever being made of it. I kind of doubt that's the case, but maybe it will. We'll see, I guess.

This is different purely because Miorine has gotten to know Suletta. Suletta has shown to be the opposite of someone who just crushes someone and laughs it off. So a 'murderer' is someone who completely contrasts with Miorine's view of Suletta.

Whereas Suletta already knows who Miorine is and her relationship with Delling very well, so there's a lot less relationship drama there because, well, she knows exactly how much Miorine knows about the attack on the Vanadis Institute and the death of Ericht's family: Literally nothing until she read up on it for the GUNDAM Corporation research. She also knows that Miorine has never had a good relationship with her father, because he's a huge jerk. One contrasts Miorine's knowledge of Suletta and is heightened by it, while the other is disarmed by Suletta's knowledge of Miorine. Pretty much most "Your father killed mine!" plots hinge on the two parties not having each other's complete trust and strong knowledge of the other, as they can just be disarmed by "I didn't know either, he's a real jerk."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do you have any theory at all as to what is up with Suletta or are you just waiting for the show to reveal stuff?

Like really, if it's not a robot or cryo or some other shenanigans what do you think it actually is that somehow completely adheres to everything the show tells us. We've heard how everything suggested doesn't work. What does work.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 28, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Do you have any theory at all as to what is up with Suletta or are you just waiting for the show to reveal stuff?

I honestly don't have a clue, so I don't feel like explaining any theory of mine would be able to convince anyone since it's bound to be wrong when the show reveals stuff. I have mentioned that I think it's possible that Eri is Prospera, which would explain why Prospera still looks about the same age Elnora did. But there's holes in the theory and stuff that points to Prospera being Elnora so I don't really think I could argue it convincingly. It also wouldn't explain where the hell Elnora is. I haven't seen anything that really gives me an idea who Suletta is though. I just don't think robots or clones are convincing enough to consider, as there hasn't been any good evidence in their favor.

Fun theories are fine, and I have those, but in a serious argument over what I think is going to happen, the show really has me mystified. It's pretty much why I primarily argue against theories that I see too much evidence against.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 28, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Right now I think I'll stick to my something something Gund tech mixed with safe permet scores and an incomplete understanding of the man machine interface on a Gundam has caused some shenanigans wrt Suletta and Prospera.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
One thing I read in case anyone else saw the same subs I did where Mio seems to call Suletta a murderer? Apparently that's not actually the proper/intended meaning? The intended meaning/translation is apparently "Why are you laughing like a murderer?" while the subs I had were more (glados joke here) "Why are you laughing, you murderer." The former is definitely a little more hopeful going into Season 2 because it emphasizes more her shock; while the latter is a helluva lot more accusatory?

I did a quick thread search to see if this was already mentioned but doesn't seem like it; Crunchyroll strikes again?

Another theory I read as a result of one of those Youtuber Psychiatrists apparently reviewed the scene. I can't find the video as it's something I read from reddit but their overview as relayed was interesting and I think reinforces the themes of miscommunication that I think have been a big aspect of the series so far. Such as Mio and her father's miscommunication via his bad parenting; and then later Suletta's and Mio's "fight"; the psychiatrist argues that the final scene is basically a result of Suletta and Mio having different trauma reactions, especially considering the way their parental figures acted.

The basic gist goes like, Delling showed Mio that the best way in a life or death situation to save someone you care about is to willingly sacrifice yourself for them (which we see Mio following when she instinctively is trying to put herself inbetween her assailant and her father). Suletta is taught that if there is someone whose life is in danger you want to save you must immediately kill them to protect the life of another. Which she immediately and also instinctively follows through on.

Their reactions, Mio's shock and horror and Suletta's dazed chipper non-reaction to killing someone are both shell-shocked trauma responses; and neither has had time to process what had happened to either of them.

If this argument is correct then it could be possible there's no Gundam shenanigans involved (for this incident anyways) and this is yet another communication problem that they need to work hard to resolve and overcome.

If true it helps keep Suletta's and Mio's relationship grounded as a normal human relationship affected by the typical tragedies of the human condition, so I think I'm hopeful for this being the case, though even if true it doesn't completely rule out the more fanciful theories about Suletta's identities.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Right now I think I'll stick to my something something Gund tech mixed with safe permet scores and an incomplete understanding of the man machine interface on a Gundam has caused some shenanigans wrt Suletta and Prospera.

That's a possibility I've considered, and it at least has some thematic and in-show support, even if my ideas of how it could work are equally vague.

Raenir Salazar posted:

One thing I read in case anyone else saw the same subs I did where Mio seems to call Suletta a murderer? Apparently that's not actually the proper/intended meaning? The intended meaning/translation is apparently "Why are you laughing like a murderer?" while the subs I had were more (glados joke here) "Why are you laughing, you murderer." The former is definitely a little more hopeful going into Season 2 because it emphasizes more her shock; while the latter is a helluva lot more accusatory?

I did a quick thread search to see if this was already mentioned but doesn't seem like it; Crunchyroll strikes again?

The Japanese is literally "How can you be smiling? Murderer!". I listened to it again and even sent it to my Japanese-fluent friend and he confirmed it for me. So whoever said that was wrong.

quote:

Another theory I read as a result of one of those Youtuber Psychiatrists apparently reviewed the scene. I can't find the video as it's something I read from reddit but their overview as relayed was interesting and I think reinforces the themes of miscommunication that I think have been a big aspect of the series so far. Such as Mio and her father's miscommunication via his bad parenting; and then later Suletta's and Mio's "fight"; the psychiatrist argues that the final scene is basically a result of Suletta and Mio having different trauma reactions, especially considering the way their parental figures acted.

The basic gist goes like, Delling showed Mio that the best way in a life or death situation to save someone you care about is to willingly sacrifice yourself for them (which we see Mio following when she instinctively is trying to put herself inbetween her assailant and her father). Suletta is taught that if there is someone whose life is in danger you want to save you must immediately kill them to protect the life of another. Which she immediately and also instinctively follows through on.

Their reactions, Mio's shock and horror and Suletta's dazed chipper non-reaction to killing someone are both shell-shocked trauma responses; and neither has had time to process what had happened to either of them.

If this argument is correct then it could be possible there's no Gundam shenanigans involved (for this incident anyways) and this is yet another communication problem that they need to work hard to resolve and overcome.

If true it helps keep Suletta's and Mio's relationship grounded as a normal human relationship affected by the typical tragedies of the human condition, so I think I'm hopeful for this being the case, though even if true it doesn't completely rule out the more fanciful theories about Suletta's identities.

Miscommunication and, in fact, being terrible at communicating are very important themes for the story, I agree. Suletta having trouble talking to people and building up the miscommunications until they boil over happens more than once. When she feels useless with the Earth House, or when she thinks Miorine doesn't want her help anymore, even little stuff builds up and causes trouble until she communicates.

tsob posted:

Okay. There's no point in even trying to talk about this anymore if you'll just flat out refuse to believe someone :shrug:

I do believe people. And in fact I've seen posts, not just here but elsewhere, explicitly stated they didn't want to believe it, so they were coming up with other theories instead. I forget who it was said that they thought Eri not being Suletta was dumb so they preferred to think it was wrong.

That's why I stated that there was no evidence provided that the Vanadis Incident wasn't the prologue. I mean, it's a moot point now because it's been absolutely proven to the point that you can't argue otherwise now that they are the same so of course there's no evidence... But if you had no evidence of a belief and only evidence against, why would you keep believing it? Because you want to. This isn't a slam on them.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 28, 2023

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kchama posted:

And the question only permeated because people didn't WANT to believe that the Vanadis Incident was 21 years ago.

Okay. There's no point in even trying to talk about this anymore if you'll just flat out refuse to believe someone :shrug:

tsob fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 28, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wanna elaborate a bit that part of the reason why my mind overlooked it was because I thought originally it has been only one year since the Prologue because that's how my brain interpreted someone's post in the Chat thread; so most of the time if/when the 21 year number came up my brain just did the jedi hand swoosh and I didn't reflect on it until Episode 12.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

tsob posted:

I do believe people. And part of the reason I'm so sure they are believing it because they want to and without any compelling evidence is thatI've seen posts, not just here but elsewhere, explicitly stated they didn't want to believe it, so they were coming up with other theories instead. I forget who it was said that they thought Eri not being Suletta was dumb so they preferred to think it was wrong.

That's why I stated that there was no evidence provided that the Vanadis Incident wasn't the prologue. I mean, it's a moot point now because it's been absolutely proven to the point that you can't argue otherwise now that they are the same so of course there's no evidence... But if you had no evidence of a belief and only evidence against, why would you keep believing it? Because you want to. This isn't a slam on them. It's what theories are about, yaknow? They can believe it if they want, it's no problem to me. But I'll still point out the issues with it, just like I have no problem pointing out the issues in my own theories.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 28, 2023

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Akasukiane04/status/1618983588434944003

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kchama posted:

The Japanese is literally "How can you be smiling? Murderer!". I listened to it again and even sent it to my Japanese-fluent friend and he confirmed it for me. So whoever said that was wrong.

Miscommunication and, in fact, being terrible at communicating are very important themes for the story, I agree. Suletta having trouble talking to people and building up the miscommunications until they boil over happens more than once. When she feels useless with the Earth House, or when she thinks Miorine doesn't want her help anymore, even little stuff builds up and causes trouble until she communicates.

I dug up the reddit post for the translation bit (leaving out some editorializing as this redditor is arguing with someone else):

quote:

She didn't say killer, she said "How can you smile, (after) you just killed someone"
but she said it after she said "nande waraderuno", you need to read the whole sentence

Edit: If you translate the sentence directly word by word, it will be "Why are you laughing, murderer"

She basically means "How can you laugh as a murderer" (As in you just murdered someone, how can you still laugh.")

The laughing part is important

It would match up with what little I know of Japanese of how context-dependant Japanese is (the example that comes to my mind is how many ways "unagi da" can be translated without context from my grammar booklet), I would maybe take it with a grain of salt what your friend said, not that I am saying he's wrong, but I think there's maybe a reasonable superposition of two possibility spaces here regarding the translation that I think we could consider going into Season 2.

e: I found another reddit post by someone else who at least sounds confident that the translation is misleading: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gundam/comments/108pd1y/misleading_translation_in_the_c_part/

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 28, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I dug up the reddit post for the translation bit (leaving out some editorializing as this redditor is arguing with someone else):

Considering how context-dependant Japanese is (see for example how many ways "unagi da" can be translated without context), I would maybe sorta take with a grain of salt what your friend says, because what they say could be correct but it might also not be. Because the literal translation could be one thing and the intended translation might be something different.

e: I found another reddit post by someone else who at least sounds confident that the translation is misleading: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gundam/comments/108pd1y/misleading_translation_in_the_c_part/

These people are what is known as 'confidently wrong'. "nande waraderuno" does not mean "Why are you smiling"?, by the way. But "Why is straw coming out of you?" The spoken line is "nande waratte irareru no". So I would uhh not trust their analysis of the translation.

The second one is just trying to use super literal translations of the line to disprove it. They recognize one word but don't actually understand what they're talking about.

My friend is now ranting at me about amateur translators who don't know the language but did five minutes of research and are now supremely confident, so this is on you.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 28, 2023

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kchama posted:

My friend is now ranting at me about amateur translators who don't know the language but did five minutes of research and are now supremely confident, so this is on you.

Kchama posted:

These people are what is known as 'confidently wrong'. "nande waraderuno" does not mean "Why are you smiling"?, by the way. But "Why is straw coming out of you?" The spoken line is "nande waratte irareru no". So I would uhh not trust their analysis of the translation.

The second one is just trying to use super literal translations of the line to disprove it. They recognize one word but don't actually understand what they're talking about.

Yeah looking it up my assumption would be they just misstyped the Causative tense but that doesn't seem to me like the right tense at all.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 28, 2023

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Vise the Stompy posted:

:lol:

NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE EARTH SPHERES MOST DANGEROUS COLONY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY ASTICASSIA CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN TECHNOLOGY CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE MOVES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY DORM ROOM LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I don't really remember anything from when I was 4 years old so I don't think Suletta not remembering is a huge stretch

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

I don't really remember anything from when I was 4 years old so I don't think Suletta not remembering is a huge stretch

I can remember significant events if something happens to prompt my memory, and also my grandmother who died when I was four. Not really significant evidence, but I feel like if they just wanted to go with 'she has childhood amnesia' Suletta probably would have shown more interest in Cardo, who was basically her grandmother. She doesn't recognize anything about the Lfriths either, though that's a lot more understandable since their forms have changed since then.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
She had literally just turned four *that day*. It's really not odd for her to not remember Cardo at that age, even if she didn't have a gigantic heaping helping of trauma layered on top.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

She had literally just turned four *that day*. It's really not odd for her to not remember Cardo at that age, even if she didn't have a gigantic heaping helping of trauma layered on top.

Except it's an answer that goes nowhere.

Why doesn't she know Cardo? She was too young to remember.

Okay, now how do you build on an answer that is basically "No" to any further development?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i have trouble envisioning what the show gains by having suletta not go "she seems familiar" or something more directly confirming the relationship in this scenario. why is it important for suletta to have absolutely no recollection of her when either direction would very easily work for that scene? in service of some even greater mystery we're either all missing or there has been no foreshadowing for yet i suppose

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 28, 2023

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you don't think this show has mysteries, you're either not paying attention or actively ignoring them.

Has mysteries != is a Mystery. I used capital letters on purpose. The story is primarily about Suletta and Mio's relationship. It isn't Lost.

You're supposed to be wondering "how is Mio gonna save Suletta from her mother", not "is Suletta am entity that is even capable of love" or something.

The entire 21 years/backstory stuff isn't even the B plot at this time. If you are watching the entire show through the lens of "how does this affect Eri!=Suletta" frankly you are doing it wrong.

ninjewtsu posted:

i have trouble envisioning what the show gains by having suletta not go "she seems familiar" or something more directly confirming the relationship in this scenario. why is it important for suletta to have absolutely no recollection of her when either direction would very easily work for that scene? in service of some even greater mystery we're either all missing or there has been no foreshadowing for yet i suppose

Why does it have to serve the mystery? In the immediate moment of the story, it has an effect - it establishes that Suletta is actually emotionally unengaged from the decision of choosing to go for weapons or medical GUND. As opposed to herself choosing to uphold Cardo's legacy at this time, because of any personal attachment to Cardo, Their Choice is about the Earth House kids and Miorine's decision. This is foreshadowing the later events of Ep 12.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fangz posted:

Has mysteries != is a Mystery. I used capital letters on purpose. The story is primarily about Suletta and Mio's relationship. It isn't Lost.

You're supposed to be wondering "how is Mio gonna save Suletta from her mother", not "is Suletta am entity that is even capable of love" or something.

The entire 21 years/backstory stuff isn't even the B plot at this time. If you are watching the entire show through the lens of "how does this affect Eri!=Suletta" frankly you are doing it wrong.

"Stop having fun your way, my way is the only way!" isn't the winning argument you think it is.

All these questions are equally valid and will most likely all intertwine by the end anyway, that you favour some more than other's doesn't make the others pointless.