Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Started the remake and successfully made it 30 minutes before I tried to throw a flare by hitting F. Not bad, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This is loving great. Just did the morgue part and my heart is racing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

...! posted:

Extraction wasn't an exclusive, OP. It was on PS3 too.

Oh whoops, I guess it was ported to that later.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Started the remake and successfully made it 30 minutes before I tried to throw a flare by hitting F. Not bad, imo.

drat, flares would look dope in Dead Space

MrMel
May 12, 2011
Oh god they kept in the extremely loud engineering room

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mordja posted:

Them turning Isaac into a voiced protagonist kinda made me worry that we'd have another "AAA-game won't shut up" situation but from what I've seen it doesn't look like that's the case.

Isaac needs to talk because the Ishimura was a metal hell of a spaceship before the Necromorphs ever got there and you'll be doing dumb bullshit to try and fix it all the time, so if he can volunteer himself to go try and solve the latest crisis it makes his useless co workers slightly more bearable.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Little ways into Chapter 3 just passed the decon room and yeah, this game is basically perfect. Everything that was good about the original has been kept, everything that was sensible to backport from DS2 has been, and there's been enough modern flair that I don't just feel like I'm playing the exact same game.

One of the things I really appreciate is that they kind of reward veterans in letting them anticipate and prepare for certain setpieces. I'm pretty sure I sort of sabotaged the intended experience for the Chapter 2 climax because I knew what was coming and saw how the designers had set up the room. But at the same time, it's still an intense enough sequence that I didn't feel cheated. Instead, I felt really pleased with myself that I had thought that through and readied myself for it. Really, really excellent design.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game is seriously unbelievable. I'm only to Chapter 5, just completed the ADS sequence, and the remake has completely blown me away, stands firm as a love letter to the entire series while retaining its own unique identity. It feels like someone threw every Dead Space game in a blender and stuck the result in an IV straight into my veins. It's everything I wanted and vastly, vastly more. The developers at EA Motive took steps to establish the foundation of Dead Space all over again, and then built an entire skyscraper of their own on top of it. A truly astounding level of care and attention to detail with respect to the original. This must be how Resident Evil fans feel!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 28, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Every game at once in a single tiny little advertisement for the church. I'm in love.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

Every game at once in a single tiny little advertisement for the church. I'm in love.

They got the important details.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

CJacobs posted:

lmao I didn't notice that. I hope that means what I think it means.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
i spotted a "make us whole" in one of the text logs, so yes, they've definitely added those touches (if it wasn't in DS1 because honestly it's been so long since I played the original that I can't remember if "make us whole" started in 1 or 2)

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

God drat, I played 7 hours of this today lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wiltsghost posted:

God drat, I played 7 hours of this today lol

I streamed 9 hours of it and I absolutely didn't want to stop save hydration breaks. It hooks you in just like the original did with its own new fascinating methods like the unbroken shot cinematics and the side quests. The characterization of Nicole has simply been amazing (no spoilers on context here) and as a fan of all the weird cameos she made in the comics etc it's so good to see her in full as a doctor.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Going to note that anyone playing with headphones should go into the audio options and turn on 3D sound, it's not activated by default and I forgot about it for the first hour or so. It was great in the RE2 remake with Mr. X stomping around everywhere and it's great here as well.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I was doing a decent job keeping my cool until (Chapter 5) the return to Medical. I'm only about 75% certain the Hunter isn't Mr. X-ing you through the level.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I only just did Chapter 1 for the evening.

I wasn't super on board with a remake since I think the original holds up just fine but this is loving incredible

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The infested suit from the digital deluxe edition is pretty gnarly

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I had to refund the PC version because of really bad performance issues. :( But god drat this is good when it's working.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's a side quest that all but confirms Motive will be keeping the lore from DS2 and 3. Mercer straight up does the eye needle thing to a guy to help him interpret the Marker signal and the victim immediately says "They're hungry, they're coming."

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

dropkickpikachu posted:

I had to refund the PC version because of really bad performance issues. :( But god drat this is good when it's working.

FWIW, the performance issues mostly clear up as you progress. It's kind of weird, the game seems to stutter a bit whenever it needs to load in a new visual effect for the first time and certain areas (the first completely dark room, the cutscene where your shuttle explodes) were giving me single digit FPS no matter what combination of settings I tried. Could still do with a patch but it's been fine 95% of the time past the opening areas.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

i spotted a "make us whole" in one of the text logs, so yes, they've definitely added those touches (if it wasn't in DS1 because honestly it's been so long since I played the original that I can't remember if "make us whole" started in 1 or 2)

The catch phrase was in one, but the meaning was mostly about combining the marker and final boss. The sequel retconed it to the grander and cooler meaning.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

FWIW, the performance issues mostly clear up as you progress. It's kind of weird, the game seems to stutter a bit whenever it needs to load in a new visual effect for the first time and certain areas (the first completely dark room, the cutscene where your shuttle explodes) were giving me single digit FPS no matter what combination of settings I tried. Could still do with a patch but it's been fine 95% of the time past the opening areas.

I was approaching the 2 hour cutoff mark and it hadn't let up so I decided to play it safe and refund for now. I will definitely be grabbing it again once those issues are cleared up. It was unplayable, frequently single digit FPS during combat. Really souring the whole experience.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isaac must be the fuckin Hulk with how fast and far physics items go when you melee

Speaking of melee, anyone know if there’s any point in destroying the vents? Does that prevent enemies from coming through there?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

dropkickpikachu posted:

I was approaching the 2 hour cutoff mark and it hadn't let up so I decided to play it safe and refund for now. I will definitely be grabbing it again once those issues are cleared up. It was unplayable, frequently single digit FPS during combat. Really souring the whole experience.

Fair enough, it's still persisting at certain points and souring it a bit for me as well. Shame how it seems like every AAA title released on PC has problems of some kind recently but the rest of the experience is good enough that I'm inclined to power through the occasions when it drops to 3 FPS. Callisto Protocol gets brought up a lot for generally unfavorable reasons but that was completely hosed on launch and they were able to patch most of the major performance problems within a week, I'd hope for a similar response time here.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A Sometimes Food posted:

How well does it run on PS5?

Really well. The performance mode is at a constant 60.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Even with performance mode turned off I've had no serious frame drops happen yet and I'm in chapter 4

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

RatHat posted:

Isaac must be the fuckin Hulk with how fast and far physics items go when you melee

Speaking of melee, anyone know if there’s any point in destroying the vents? Does that prevent enemies from coming through there?

Free fanblades. They save you ammo when you get telekinesis.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

RevolverDivider posted:

I only just did Chapter 1 for the evening.

I wasn't super on board with a remake since I think the original holds up just fine but this is loving incredible

I treated myself to the game despite my reservations as I'm in the mood for some horror.

I only had time to get the to the first save point after the plasma cutter, but wasn't really blown away by anything yet vs the original (which I last played about a year and a half ago).

The bit I played was just as good as the original, though that's probably to be expected.

I've not put on the 3D PS5 headphones yet, so that might add another layer to things I didn't have before

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Free fanblades. They save you ammo when you get telekinesis.

Oh poo poo that’s a good tip

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
hearing twinkle twinkle start up in an elevator sent a loving chill down my spine :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My absolute favorite thing they do so far are when scares from the original do not occur......... because they have yet to occur just as often as they might not at all. They know exactly how to use nostalgia bait to gonna entrap you into some goofy nightmare scenario. :allears:

edit: Just replayed up to the ADS sequence on Impossible and it's really well balanced. The decision to make it a barely modified Hard was a good one given the stakes. Damage between you and enemies isn't changed at all, only item weight. Far fewer health kits, far more money to spend on either health kits or whatever you want! Mimics the original very well in that way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 28, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
CHAPTER 5 NEW CONTENT: Discovering Johnston's body floating inside the broken hull of the Kellion made me feel some kind of melancholy peace. At least they didn't get her, man.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Anyone who got that far, did they include the hydroponics sprinkler scare? This is very important and decides whether or not i'll get the game

Also, is the door slamming shut right in front of you as you're backtracking still in, because these two were my favorite moments from the first game.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i hope everyone remembers to try and grab the Peng in the hangar bay

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Did the original have the spooky whispers in the sound design?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
There are no spooky whispers in the bathrooms. You are not hearing things from just out of sight. You have nothing to worry about, those are simply echoes from the ship settling. There is absolutely nothing wrong in the bathrooms.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I'll just make myself whole. That'll probably do it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know in order to keep myself calm I was DEFINITELY going to put on some nice soothing atmospheric whale sounds but it turns out this time around they've been incorporated into the god drat soundscape which is so brilliant. Tau Volantis here we come. :unsmigghh:

drkeiscool posted:

i hope everyone remembers to try and grab the Peng in the hangar bay

This This This, seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

CJacobs posted:

for comparison's sake: