Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Print out a picture of a friends face who will be attending. Some string and clothes that look like theirs can do alot. Be weird about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rip/cut up some old clothes. Make some fake blood out of flour, water and food dye and smear it on your face, hair and shirt. You're a werewolf.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Okay so I've been in an environment where I didn't have to make decisions about light bulbs for the last 7 years. Now light bulbs have become complicated and unintelligible to me. What bulbs do I buy to get the warmest light? What bulbs get me closest to incandescents? I just want the warmest most buttery light best for somebody with the sensitivities

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Okay so I've been in an environment where I didn't have to make decisions about light bulbs for the last 7 years. Now light bulbs have become complicated and unintelligible to me. What bulbs do I buy to get the warmest light? What bulbs get me closest to incandescents? I just want the warmest most buttery light best for somebody with the sensitivities

https://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/resources/colour_temperature/

quote:

Correlated colour temperature (CCT) is measured in degrees Kelvin on a scale from 1,000 to 10,000. Unlike measuring temperature in degrees celsius, the warmer a bulb’s light is, the lower its temperature will be. A cooler temperature will have a higher value.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Get 2k -> 10k smart bulbs and then just set them to whatever you prefer.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Warm white is 2700K. Higher numbers are cooler, lower numbers are warmer. They go lower than that and get noticeably more orange.

You can also get bulbs that change colour temperature as you dim them, so they behave more like incandescents in that respect, if that's what you mean. Also, not all LEDs are dimmable, so that's something to look out for.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Boba Pearl posted:

Get 2k -> 10k smart bulbs and then just set them to whatever you prefer.

don't buy anything 'smart' or with an app

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Dr. Stab posted:

Also, not all LEDs are dimmable, so that's something to look out for.
Be careful though, dimmable LEDs don't work well with old ("legacy") dimmer switches, that's burnt me before. Modern dimmer switches will usually be rated for CFL and LED bulbs, and you can check compatibility on their websites, if you feel like upgrading your switches.

So yah the 'smart' bulbs are probably the easiest if you want dimmable (plus adjustable color temp).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't need dimmable I just want closest to incandescent and can't read the packaging. I'm such an old

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Go with soft or warm white, if you hit up home depot most of them have little displays where you can see the different color temperatures.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Most Home Depot/Lowe's will have a display where you can turn on different light bulbs and see what they look like to give you a better idea.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I don't need dimmable I just want closest to incandescent and can't read the packaging. I'm such an old

Then "warm white" or "2700K" are all you need to look for. This is the colour meant to look like a standard incandescent bulb.

Everything else about a bulb is the same as before. It can be frosted or clear. It can list brightness a bunch of different ways, but there will usually be something like "100w equivalent" on the package.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Trapick posted:

Be careful though, dimmable LEDs don't work well with old ("legacy") dimmer switches, that's burnt me before. Modern dimmer switches will usually be rated for CFL and LED bulbs, and you can check compatibility on their websites, if you feel like upgrading your switches.

...well, poo poo, that explains my situation too!

It was a pain even finding dimmable LEDs, and then the one didn't even last properly. The replacement batch flicker if the dimmer isn't set juuuuuuust right, which is "darker than normal"...

In the process is getting an electrician to take the loving dimmers out. I've never liked/wanted them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

don't buy anything 'smart' or with an app

Counterpoint: go full Hue like I did. Being able to go to the bathroom in the night with minimal light is good as gently caress, and so is low warm light when posting in the evening.

But yeah, just but warm white. If you feel like learning something, you want to internalise lumen as the measure of brightness instead of watts.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

NotNut posted:

Besides a sheet with eye holes, does anyone have ideas for a costume I could get in 24 hours for a party? Doesn't matter if it's lovely

Go to a costume leasing shop

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You want high CRI bulbs, “high” being usually defined as > 90. The higher the better in principle, but don’t sweat a few points at the high end. There isn’t always a strict relationship between CRI and light quality, just avoid the 80 CRI trash and get something greater than 90.

For warmth, incandescents are nominally 2700 K. You presumably want at least that, though you can go warmer (lower numbers) if you want and can find them. A lot of them will have bare “filaments” for that old timey look.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Thank you all for your illuminating advice!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

In the process is getting an electrician to take the loving dimmers out. I've never liked/wanted them.

Changing a switch out for another switch is the easiest possible babby's first electrical project, fwiw, if that's really all you're getting done you could consider doing it yourself or getting a handyman instead of an electrician. It's kind of a waste of time for an electrician.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

actionjackson posted:

there is no "university of new jersey." rutgers is apparently also referred to as "the state university of NJ" but i'm just speaking verbatim here

Yeah, every so often the legislature tries to rename it. The last try I remember ended up with “Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey” as the official name rather than “Rutgers University”.

There is also The College of NJ, TCNJ, which used to be Trenton State. But that one is public.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

NotNut posted:

Besides a sheet with eye holes, does anyone have ideas for a costume I could get in 24 hours for a party? Doesn't matter if it's lovely

its january so i bet theres a lot of cheap santa costumes people want to get rid of

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

alnilam posted:

Changing a switch out for another switch is the easiest possible babby's first electrical project, fwiw, if that's really all you're getting done you could consider doing it yourself or getting a handyman instead of an electrician. It's kind of a waste of time for an electrician.

This and swapping out light fittings made me feel like a Real Grown Up Dad. Though I am still scared of the hallway with switches at each end that I don't know the magic combination to make work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Counterpoint: go full Hue like I did. Being able to go to the bathroom in the night with minimal light is good as gently caress, and so is low warm light when posting in the evening.

But yeah, just but warm white. If you feel like learning something, you want to internalise lumen as the measure of brightness instead of watts.

I got a couple of red LED night lights for this. They come on automatically when it's dark out, and draw half a watt. Because they're red, they don't mess with your night vision or wake you up a bunch, but you can still see well enough to navigate and piss. And best of all, they don't require some loving app or network connectivity to function!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I’m not finding a thread in YLLS that fits this question: I’m looking for a men’s ring with an amethyst stone, something affordable. I’m having a hard time telling what’s real and what’s fake. Any suggested sites that you know are legit?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

alnilam posted:

Absolutely loving not.

It's not legal to mess with your own wiring in my country unless you're qualified, and quite frankly it shouldn't be anywhere else either.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 28, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Lol oh no the danger noodles gonna do me a hecking zappin better pay 1200 to protect me.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

e: nah, forget it. don't post mad, folks.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

Lol oh no the danger noodles gonna do me a hecking zappin better pay 1200 to protect me.

More like accidentally used too thin wire in an enclosed space that gets way hot and sets fire to your insulation or something. The immediate danger is not why you get an electrician.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

More like accidentally used too thin wire in an enclosed space that gets way hot and sets fire to your insulation or something. The immediate danger is not why you get an electrician.

You’re not running wire when you replace an outlet. You throw a breaker, check for voltage, then unscrew some screws and then reverse that process with the new outlet.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Check and follow your local laws! In terms of difficulty and risk replacing a switch or outlet is pretty low but not zero.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BonHair posted:

Different countries also have different standards for wiring with different levels of danger, for example the UK's "ring mains" are supposed to kinda be deathtraps if installed improperly.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You basically can’t gently caress up switching an outlet unless:
You don’t pay attention to where the wires were screwed on the old outlet and mix them up

Or

It was installed improperly to begin with

E: or you start loving with the wires because???

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I know so little that I don't know what is or isn't dangerous to do. I cannot distinguish between the two, I have no education or training in that area.

If it were okay for people to do their own electrical work, it's also up to them to educate themselves to the point where they can make that distinction too! I'm not okay with trusting that, eg, my neighbour has done this, knows where the limit is, and doesn't, say, bite off more then they can chew and cause a fire in the apartment next to me.

And it means when you move in to a new place you know the chances are the wiring wasn't done by some absolute clown, and a hair's breadth from failing.

I mean, unless you're saying I could actually do whatever the gently caress I like with the wiring in my apartment with zero chance of killing myself or starting a fire? Because otherwise you're relying on people to know when what they're doing is dangerous or beyond their abilities, which is a loving stupid idea thanks to the Dunning Kruger effect.

No, better to leave it to people who are actually trained and qualified.

E: and it's nowhere near costing me $1200USD, for that matter

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 28, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You are free to have your own opinions, of course. Just be aware that a lot of people happen to disagree with them.

Would you object to your neighbor owning a deep fryer? How about to them smoking? I don't know the exact stats but I believe both are rather more dangerous than DIY wiring, statistically speaking.

Anyway, nobody will object to you calling an electrician in for this job. You might have trouble finding one willing to do such a small job though.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

My jurisdiction requires a permit for any work done by a layperson on their own property and any major work done by an electrician; so I wanted to e.g. change a dimmer switch I'd have to apply for the permit, which includes a bunch of stuff like type of building, what changes are desired, do I have any clue what I'm doing, etc.

If the risk is low enough they'll approve it and send an inspector later.

edit: there's zero chance I could get an electrician (or plumber or any other licensed tradesperson) to walk into my house for under $200. So if you're going to hire someone think through all the things you want first and have them ready - like 1 switch replacement will cost you $200 but I bet 5 switch replacements will also cost $200.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 28, 2023

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Same. It's one of those things I would never do myself, no matter how simple people tell me it is, even with a guide with pictures and poo poo. Dealing with potentially dangerous poo poo is terrifying if you don't even know what to look for and what's risky or not.

It's also something I would have no issue with letting my brother in law do because I do recognize It's a simple thing to do if you're handy and you know what you're doing and he's very capable with that kind of stuff despite not being an electrician. (He's more of a carpenter and does bathrooms and stuff.) Anything more than that I'd still get a trained professional though.

Same idea with chemicals and poo poo. I watch that Nilered channel and looking at it, I'm sure that if I had a chemist next to me telling me what to do I could succesfully do a lot of the poo poo on there because the actual steps aren't all that difficult to accomplish. But gently caress that because messing up has serious consequences so I'm just going to let someone qualified do it.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I tried some plumbing one night and learned very quickly the level of plumbing I should not attempt. It's hard to get a plumber at night on short notice when you realize (too late) that the shutoff valve doesn't work. Also always test that the shutoff valve works before you remove the thing after the shutoff valve.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Maybe this is a regional custom. Here IKEA sells cheap ceiling lamps with instructions and the expectation that customers wire them themselves. The process is essentially the same as switching outlets and many apartments come with wires dangling out of the ceiling or at ceiling height for exactly that. (Safely capped, unless the previous owners were exceptionally careless).

One could pay an electrician but it would cost $400 at a minimum. I would still get an electrician if I had a suspicion that the wiring was outdated or done incorrectly but standards are pretty good here so it’s not something I’ve been concerned about apart from my grandparents’ house that was originally knob and tube

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 29, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Different countries also have different standards for wiring with different levels of danger, for example the UK's "ring mains" are supposed to kinda be deathtraps if installed improperly.

If you're modifying a ring main then absolutely call in an electrician, but if you're modifying ceiling lights or especially unpluggable lamps, then if you are confident in what you're doing you can do it yourself.

As for myself? I'm not confident with anything where I have to calculate voltage or amps so if I need that stuff done I'm hiring a sparky.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

If you can go to your local home depot equivalent and just buy a switch as a private, not formally qualified person without a permit, you can bet your rear end people are broadly doing these jobs themselves without notifying anyone, legal or not. I would not feel safer that my neighbor won't gently caress up because of a law forbidding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I have this cheap piano bench whose pleather cover is peeling off.

Any suggestions on ways to repair it? Structurally it's fine, but that foam is going to start coming apart now that it's no longer protected. I'd prefer not to just tape it because the adhesive gets gunky after awhile. I have some cloth, but any sewing would have to be done by hand since I don't have a sewing machine.