Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That reminds me, I'm on a two-monitor setup, and for some reason UE4 games love to have a bug in borderless mode where if I move the ingame mouse too far towards my second screen it seems like the (invisible) cursor slips out of the window and no longer register mouse clicks until I move it back the other way. Unsurprisingly that's very annoying in shooters, where it usually means I plain can't shoot while or directly after turning to the right.

The only reliable fix I've found for it so far is to set the games to exclusive fullscreen instead, and I was quickly reminded how that is just loving intolerable if you've gotten used to borderless window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Games where you alt+tab once or dare to click on something else before it loads and they decide you want to play in windowed mode, forever. Stop doing that!!

When I first got Infra (everyone who likes chill fps exploration puzzle games go get Infra) when i would get hopelessly stuck and try to check a guide, the game did NOT like exiting full screen on an alt tab at all, and the steam guides at the time were not very good at explaining how to do some steps/find some keys so shift-tab wasn't really an option. I lost a good chunk of time wandering around a huge level, and when I alt-tabbed the game permanently froze and I had to start back at the end of the last chapter. It was probably only about ten minutes of time to make up total, but it took me closer to an hour or two of wandering around an old steelworks only to start back at the front door :shepface:

I think it's been patched to fix that now though because now the game just stutters a fair bit when you alt tab out of full screen instead

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
To add to that, games who go "Oh, you wanna alt tab? Well we made your desktop's resolution smaller which jumbled around your icons, enjoy rear end in a top hat"

Fallout 4 has both done this and also did a thing where I tabbed back in and the game looks fullscreen, except the game's resolution went down to 800x600, to the top left, while the remaining screen space is filled with a still image of whatever was on screen when I tabbed out

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This is petty and about a game I generally like, but.

So much hate for Fire Emblem: Three Hopes, IntSys. You give me a support chain about Dimitri putting on a disguise to walk among the common people incognito so he can see firsthand what things are like and what the common people feel, and then don't let me see this certified dork's attempt to blend in?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I also hate games that will register you clicking back into the game as a command for the game.

Nothing like letting off a shot during a stealth mission or accidentally using an item because you wanted to refocus on the game.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why does everything in Elden Ring have to hit so goddamn loving hard.

gently caress

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

More like oldvigorless.

(Go level your vigor, it should be the primary stat you focus on for the early to mid parts of the game.)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

I also hate games that will register you clicking back into the game as a command for the game.

Nothing like letting off a shot during a stealth mission or accidentally using an item because you wanted to refocus on the game.

When you hear a gunshot in the first 3 seconds of a hunt match, you know someone just learned this lesson the hard way

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Vandar posted:

More like oldvigorless.

(Go level your vigor, it should be the primary stat you focus on for the early to mid parts of the game.)

Leveling vigor is important, but I do think it's a legit complaint that stuff in ER hits very hard

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

kazil posted:

Leveling vigor is important, but I do think it's a legit complaint that stuff in ER hits very hard

The damage jump from hitting the Mountain of the Giants is kinda absurd.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Forspoken has a lot of big problems but a little one thats come up in the otherwise fun postgame is map filling is a pain in the rear end. There's belfrys that sorta reveal the map, but not quite so much as to fill the clearly labled zones, so it makes me worry im going to miss equipment because i flat out dont know the location exists.

Also the health crafting item is so abundant but pings the same as the more valueble ones so i cant tell if im going to something useful or not until im nearly on top of it, and the only thing it makes is health potions so i cant even really use them up.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Early Elden Ring complaints:

Rolling feels weird, though coming off a ninja ring run of DS1 doesn't help.

Sure seems like enemies having bs bonus range by way of shockwave effects is going to be a thing.

Enemies not meshing well with the area geometry aint great. Nothing like getting wiped out by a giant's sword spin that was completely clipped into the ground.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

Early Elden Ring complaints:

Rolling feels weird, though coming off a ninja ring run of DS1 doesn't help.

Sure seems like enemies having bs bonus range by way of shockwave effects is going to be a thing.

Enemies not meshing well with the area geometry aint great. Nothing like getting wiped out by a giant's sword spin that was completely clipped into the ground.

I can't think of too many regular rear end enemies that just like, have shockwave attacks. But maybe I'm forgetting them all; far more annoying imo are the amount of dudes that have bloodborne style flurry combos.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
gently caress, in particular, the little stone imp guys.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

kazil posted:

Really my main complaint is that there's a big gulf between how hard you hit vs how hard the enemies hit. Any enemy of note can easily hit you for like a quarter to a third of your health each time, if not more, and even trash can get up there. Meanwhile if I hit them back it's often more like 5-10%, even with big heavy weapons, and it's so much worse against (mini-)bosses. Combine this with the way that most significant enemies have perfect poise but can still stagger you fairly easily, and the difficulty can end up feeling quite gamey and artificial.

It's something that I thought Nioh 2 did much better. Enemies can still kill you right quick, but you can usually kill them back just as quickly. Additionally, human enemies work by the same stamina rules the player does, while yokai have a less restrictive but still limiting equivalent. As a result, difficult parts tend to feel much more organic and less frustrating.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Jan 28, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

This is why Sekiro, still, is the finest from software game. Pure skill based combat

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

This is why Sekiro, still, is the finest from software game. Pure skill based combat

I was bad at it though, so it's the worst.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nuebot posted:

I was bad at it though, so it's the worst.

Being bad at videogames? Six months in the iso-cubes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sekiro doesn't let you be a magic nerd so it's in fact the worst Souls game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Sekiro doesn't let you be a magic nerd so it's in fact the worst Souls game.

It’s the worst Souls game but it’s still a real loving rad action game, but yeah, it would be basically perfect if it just let you cast your ninja mega man spells with actual magic instead of the weird janky Bloodborne system. As opposed to “pretty ducking good, probably like the second-third best non-mech From game”

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I jumped through the hoops to install eternal darkness on my wiiu

It doesn't have so much as a spiritual successor though

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I have been playing Persona 4 and Yosuke and Teddie drag it down. god they suck. any time any slice of life stuff is happening they're consistently the worst

Kanji owns though and has never done anything wrong in his life. I saw him tell off a police officer in a restaurant, who then left because he was so owned. it was BAD rear end

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Perestroika posted:

Really my main complaint is that there's a big gulf between how hard you hit vs how hard the enemies hit. Any enemy of note can easily hit you for like a quarter to a third of your health each time, if not more, and even trash can get up there. Meanwhile if I hit them back it's often more like 5-10%, even with big heavy weapons, and it's so much worse against (mini-)bosses. Combine this with the way that most significant enemies have perfect poise but can still stagger you fairly easily, and the difficulty can end up feeling quite gamey and artificial.

I think the problem here is you need to upgrade weapons a lot to get to the expected DPS value. And they hosed the economy of regular weapon upgrade materials because unless you have the bell bearings to buy them you can find maybe enough to full upgrade one without being a lunatic completionist. And even if you can buy the mats a regular weapon is like three times as expensive as a special weapon, when you might expect the opposite to be true. So it kind of trick you into having low damage while kicking your rear end.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it's insane how much easier 'special' weapons are to upgrade compared to normal weapons.
to max level a special weapon you only need 1 of each tier of upgrade mat, while a normal weapon needs 12 of each. and the special somber stones are nowhere near 12x rarer than normal stones

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I'm about 100 hours into AC Valhalla now, doing every region 100% including the stupidly difficult "build a stone cairn using the wonky physics engine" puzzles. Now I've reached Snotinghamscire, fairly late in the game.

It's here that it has what is clearly a tutorial version of this puzzle. Eivor explains to a kid how to do it and how it's about being zen etc. Really weirdly placed, especially seeing as the same region has one of the hardest versions of the puzzle. It seems clear that at one point this was an early game area, and hasn't been fully updated/shifted around.

And Christ, the kid voices in this game are awful. Where they seem to have got native English actors for the Anglo Saxon characters and Nordic actors for the Norse and Danes, all the kids have these super loving irritating American accents that sound like they're just middle aged office employees with voices made high pitched and twee.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

People talk about the Mountaintops of Giants HP jump in Elden Ring but I think it's disguising the real issue, which is that they reuse the 'Warrior of Zamor' boss to just be a regular guy in the 'Ruins of Zamor' sub-area that doesn't even have anything great in it.
It's clearly a rush job because as soon as you get past that, the rest of the Mountaintops aren't nearly so bad.
Except for the knifebirds who suddenly got megaswole.

And also the megahands, but just lol if you aren't riding straight by that section to get to the boss.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Yeah it’s quite a ways better than anything else they’ve done. Close to the perfect game.

ER is mid tier souls imo, it felt most like dark souls 2 2. However if you’ve any souls experience at all it’s definitely the easiest game by them and they absolutely shower you in souls. If you explore the areas at all you’ll have no trouble with anything I think. A lot of annoying bosses but none are too tough.

Imo DS3 pushed the souls formula as far as it can go and still be fun. ER bosses relied on a lot of area denial puking moves or flailing which wasn’t that hard to deal with but felt lame.

And I cleared the game without using any summons or ashes or magic or OP weapon arts so don’t say that’s why I found it easy. And if you use those things then you’ll have no trouble at all. God bless

Official ranking imo

Sekiro >>> DS3 = bb >>> er > dark souls > demon souls > ds 2

Bb is only okay but it has such a unique vibe and identity that helps it a lot despite a paucity of good bosses or challenges. DS3 is perfect but has no identity of its own

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I just want to throw lightning at fools.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The spells in er look cool. The gigantic bow and arrow one is badass. I tried doing a magic run in demons once to see how easy it would be but ended up just using the crescent falchion and doing melee the whole time anyway lol

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

bewilderment posted:

People talk about the Mountaintops of Giants HP jump in Elden Ring but I think it's disguising the real issue, which is that they reuse the 'Warrior of Zamor' boss to just be a regular guy in the 'Ruins of Zamor' sub-area that doesn't even have anything great in it.
It's clearly a rush job because as soon as you get past that, the rest of the Mountaintops aren't nearly so bad.
Except for the knifebirds who suddenly got megaswole.

And also the megahands, but just lol if you aren't riding straight by that section to get to the boss.

You mention the warrior of Zamor, and that's a doubly weird one, because they originally were going to use the Zamor as your spirit ash companion. It may have been that at some point in dev, the Zamor was the only summonable spirit, but their name in code even references them as a "buddy." There were screenshots of the warrior of Zamor as a summon!

But they're not actually a summon in the finished game. They're just a weirdly intense damage spike in what is actually a very ignorable part of the Mountaintops.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Zamor ruins has the one sorcery that seemed pretty good or at least cool (heh), an icestorm thing or something. I didn’t find it on my actual first run when I USED sorcery but still!

Also, the best (worst) thing about the smithing stones is that on launch, the cost to buy them was way higher, so you’d have to invest significantly more ruins than a unique weapon even once you killed the Godskin Duo and could just buy them. Although maybe that belongs in the sister thread, since even if some stuff I crutched hard on got nerfed (RIP Rot Breath/Flame of the Redmanes) it is legit great that this game they could have just washed their hands with post launch has received such extensive patches that amount to “we want you to use all the cool toys in this sandbox so we’re gonna buff a bunch of stuff and nerf a few things”.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Philippe posted:

gently caress, in particular, the little stone imp guys.

Check your throwables to see if any of them can help with the little imp shits

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Crystal+Dart the crystal darts can sort of short circuit them and shut them down. Works on the giant stone dog statue bosses too

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah it’s quite a ways better than anything else they’ve done. Close to the perfect game.

ER is mid tier souls imo, it felt most like dark souls 2 2. However if you’ve any souls experience at all it’s definitely the easiest game by them and they absolutely shower you in souls. If you explore the areas at all you’ll have no trouble with anything I think. A lot of annoying bosses but none are too tough.

Imo DS3 pushed the souls formula as far as it can go and still be fun. ER bosses relied on a lot of area denial puking moves or flailing which wasn’t that hard to deal with but felt lame.

And I cleared the game without using any summons or ashes or magic or OP weapon arts so don’t say that’s why I found it easy. And if you use those things then you’ll have no trouble at all. God bless

Official ranking imo

Sekiro >>> DS3 = bb >>> er > dark souls > demon souls > ds 2

Bb is only okay but it has such a unique vibe and identity that helps it a lot despite a paucity of good bosses or challenges. DS3 is perfect but has no identity of its own
Where do the Surge game sit in that ranking?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Perestroika posted:

I think the real problem comes down to bad balance between builds, because I had the opposite complaint - late-game enemies were too easy to bully to death without even paying attention to what they were doing, and it got kind of mindless.

Like it's dumb that I could basically win every fight by just doing this forever
https://i.imgur.com/tL2GhDY.mp4

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Check your throwables to see if any of them can help with the little imp shits

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Crystal+Dart the crystal darts can sort of short circuit them and shut them down. Works on the giant stone dog statue bosses too

A random consumable that you find like 10 of ever is not going to help against an enemy whose main annoying point is that they're tiny, small, and everywhere.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Special emphasis on everywhere.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Behind literally every corner of every mini-dungeon.

Gee, I wonder if this empty looking room with a piece of loot is going to have an ambush like all the other ones

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Breetai posted:

Where do the Surge game sit in that ranking?

I’ve never really been interested in any souls like not by from. I’ve played through each a few times the last few years and that’s scratched the itch for that style of game well enough. Even by them I feel the formula is played out unless they do a Sekiro 2 or a brand new IP as the former still feels like they could push the concept a lot.

I’d be a little interested in bloodborne 2 because I felt like that had some good ideas up until father gascoigne then just kind of gave up and became souls. I’d love enemies more enemies that feel essential to parry or multiple sequential parries to stagger.

I might try Mortal Shell sometime solely because I heard it’s very short and got it free on PS+

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mortal shell is complete garbo and not worth the time.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

A random consumable that you find like 10 of ever is not going to help against an enemy whose main annoying point is that they're tiny, small, and everywhere.

They're craftable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

EmmyOk posted:

I’ve never really been interested in any souls like not by from. I’ve played through each a few times the last few years and that’s scratched the itch for that style of game well enough. Even by them I feel the formula is played out unless they do a Sekiro 2 or a brand new IP as the former still feels like they could push the concept a lot.

I’d be a little interested in bloodborne 2 because I felt like that had some good ideas up until father gascoigne then just kind of gave up and became souls. I’d love enemies more enemies that feel essential to parry or multiple sequential parries to stagger.

I might try Mortal Shell sometime solely because I heard it’s very short and got it free on PS+

People keep calling Remnant From the Ashes a Souls-like and I don't quite see it

But the trailer for two gives me Bloodborne vibes which I'm here for

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8da6XwxmV30&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE