Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ArmZ posted:

billions does the same thing and is better

nah billions is a load of fun, but doesnt actually paint the hyperwealthy as inhuman in the same way.

like the scene where in succession where they decide to leave the summer estate, so they force the staff to throw out all the food. we get a montage of all this beautiful food being trashed, all the extra work that caused etc. in billions that wouldnt have been shown at all.

billions is breath of the wild as succession is to elden ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

succession is the only show about rich people that depicts them as the inhuman beings they are. like doug married into the family, acts like a psychopathic freak, yet still has a moral compass despite himself. meanwhile cousin greg does from clueless oaf to servile sociopath within a like a month of hanging out with the family again

except ewan. ewan rules

its incredibly funny that the gerri and roman thing felt like one of the most genuine and human relationships in the show

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

ewan is a feckless wealthy msnbc watching lib who's gonna donate his immense fortunate to fuckin greenpeace lmao

I know he's awesome, dude calls his brother worse than hitler and still defends him because he's ~family~

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

how'd you do on the SAT?

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ArmZ posted:

billions does the same thing and is better

billions is a story about unlikeable people you're supposed to like, succession is a story about unlikeable people you're supposed to dislike

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ewan's lawyer is actually the best character on Succession

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

you're supposed to watch billions and think the characters are based, you're supposed to watch succession and think the characters are pathetic little worms

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

He's right (blade 3 sucks)

Wish I could find it but I remember seeing a longer breakdown of that movie's troubled production and it seemed like the entire cast knew the script sucked from the beginning and that the director didn't know what he was doing. Snipes just made things worst by acting out.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Antonymous posted:

how'd you do on the SAT?

He just took the ACT, the BotW of tests.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

Wish I could find it but I remember seeing a longer breakdown of that movie's troubled production and it seemed like the entire cast knew the script sucked from the beginning and that the director didn't know what he was doing. Snipes just made things worst by acting out.

He turned a bad movie into a bad movie with one funny anecdote.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Doktor Avalanche posted:

billions is a story about unlikeable people you're supposed to like, succession is a story about unlikeable people you're supposed to dislike

you aren't supposed to like them hth

it's not mad Men ffs

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ArmZ posted:

you aren't supposed to like them hth

it's not mad Men ffs

ever billions character is "wow look at this badasssss!!!" all the time, it's pretty clear you're supposed to see them as cool

meanwhile ken is making GBS threads himself in his sleep in the bed of his family's arch-enemies' billion dollar mansion caus ehe's too drugged/drunk to keep his literal poo poo in his bowels
his brother (BIG S3 SPOILER) sent a dick pic to their dad

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Jan 28, 2023

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

i hope greg and tom kiss

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Started watching Peacock's new mystery show Poker Face. It isn't bad so far.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Trabisnikof posted:

like the scene where in succession where they decide to leave the summer estate, so they force the staff to throw out all the food. we get a montage of all this beautiful food being trashed, all the extra work that caused etc. in billions that wouldnt have been shown at all.

oh so they didn’t waste a ton of food for real? yeah that's a worse artistic decision

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
in the new blade the vampires are the irs

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Doktor Avalanche posted:

ever billions character is "wow look at this badasssss!!!" all the time, it's pretty clear you're supposed to see them as cool

meanwhile ken is making GBS threads himself in his sleep in the bed of his family's arch-enemies' billion dollar mansion caus ehe's too drugged/drunk to keep his literal poo poo in his bowels
his brother (BIG S3 SPOILER) sent a dick pic to their dad

lol you're projecting your own anxieties

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Started watching Peacock's new mystery show Poker Face. It isn't bad so far.

i've got this primed in the pump

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Love his pop up at the end

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

indigi posted:

oh so they didn’t waste a ton of food for real? yeah that's a worse artistic decision

when you think about it, it’s all media is a waste

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Frosted Flake posted:

My problem with The Last of Us, like any zombie fiction I guess, is that it's trivially easy to kill unarmed, foot-mobile targets. In a crisis that was considered existential, with the amount of ordnance that could be thrown around, and for something as fragile as a fungi, there's no reason CBRN weapons wouldn't be employed. It would still be bad, and I realize there's no plot if national militaries just flatten population centres during the first week, but the genre always makes it out like it's an unsurmountable problem when I'd expect a result about on par with Omdurman, even if the first day was more similar to Khartoum.
fast zombies with guns and artillery

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

the show addresses that in the second ep

also the funghi is deep in the ground and everywhere, you'd basically be glassing all organic life on the planet.

i like how they're really leaning into the mycelia network and other aspects of funghi more than the game (unless it was in lore you find)

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I’m sure it’s been said, but I feel happy for Naughty Dog that they could finally make a prestige TV show, as that’s what they always trying to turn the game into.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Succession is great just for this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk3lcEeoEy8

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

more movies should have wrestling moves

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1619123238231236609?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Blade 2 is great you nerds wouldn't know culture if it dropped you into a big vat of blood to defeat you

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

She's got a grenade launcher now?

She's got a grenade launcher now.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Laterite posted:

one time i started blade 2 after hearing endlessly about how it's actually an underrated gem and the opening scene cgi and camera work was so 2002-era cheap bad that i couldn't continue

change my mind

Blade 2 was a testbed for some new CGI techniques which were impressive at the time but didn't age well at all, and they ate up an enormous amount of the budget

it features Ron Perlman playing an rear end in a top hat vampire which is worth the price of admission alone, and a young Norman Reedus who's nothing special in the role but it's interesting to see how different he's cast now than he was back then

Blade 2 doesn't do much differently from the first one and the super vampires plotline stinks in this movie (and every other monster movie sequel that does this that I can think of) but it's still good enough to watch

Blade Trinity is garbage though, I won't defend that one at all

Trabisnikof posted:

nah billions is a load of fun, but doesnt actually paint the hyperwealthy as inhuman in the same way.

you're right, also Billions clearly fetishizes elements of the wealth even as it ridicules them, and the product placements by car companies, watch companies etc. are shamelessly blatant

it's a fun soap opera but isn't in the same genre as Succession and I don't view them as in competition with each other

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The worst thing Blade 2 did was completely waste Donnie Yen

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Buck Wildman posted:

"some motherfuckers always gotta iceskate uphill" still ranks as the best one liner in cinematic history imo

Pead posted:

Story goes that Snipes said it in a conversation and the director overheard and insisted it get put into the movie. It's so out of place and bad that it absolutely rules

Snipes was stunningly good in his early career and it's a real shame his colossal ego got the better of him, amongst his many acting virtues was impeccable comic timing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The blade 2 commentary with snipes and giullermo is an all timer.
snipes spends every scene telling you exactly what kind of karate he just did on screen.
guillermo spends the whole movie being horny (all these doors look like pussies, it's because my set designers aren't having enough sex) and talking about how they wanted to have a sex scene but weren't allowed it so blade 3 is gonna be called Blade Gets Laid.

I wish they had made that one

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Filthy Hans posted:

Snipes was stunningly good in his early career and it's a real shame his colossal ego got the better of him, amongst his many acting virtues was impeccable comic timing

Snipes steals every scene he's in in Dolemite is my Name

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

ArmZ posted:

lol you're projecting your own anxieties

no, you're just wrong

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Substandard posted:

He only started the book club because he has a crush on Carol Danvers and is trying to bang her, but then Captain America overheard their discussion about starting a book club and wanted to join and it expanded from there to include the PC and Wolverine as well. It's dumb as hell.
oh, so it's Community

XCommunity

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
When are we getting an X-Com movie?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
After the mass effect trilogy

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Doktor Avalanche posted:

no, you're just wrong

no you

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Filthy Hans posted:

I disagree it's cool when actors burn out early rather than shamble on for decades and decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If only Bruce Willis had flamed out all at once