Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

the RDW vid also being sort of about the band PUP made it really special to me, personally

I played Mono R Sligh and Mono B Suicide Sligh exclusively in the last year I played in the tournament scene. I had already stated hating both of the formats I played in, and nothing else existed circa 1999, so I just started playing decks that could win or lose a match in under 15 minutes. I would know if I was going to win or lose very quickly in a game. Part of me misses the energy of those decks, but just... nothing else about standard or extended (I guess the equivalent would be Modern or Pioneer now).

It took me a while but I found a few decks for EDH that capture the same blistering aggressiveness of Sligh. Zada and a properly tuned Edgar Markov are my go-to decks for that sweet, sweet aggro hit. :blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanna make something like the Gonti deck he shows. Just old busted up cards held by an elastic, like in my childhood.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Railing Kill posted:

I played Mono R Sligh and Mono B Suicide Sligh exclusively in the last year I played in the tournament scene.

Are you me?

Exodus standard was wild, Hatred was a real fuckin card :getin:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Railing Kill posted:

It took me a while but I found a few decks for EDH that capture the same blistering aggressiveness of Sligh. Zada and a properly tuned Edgar Markov are my go-to decks for that sweet, sweet aggro hit. :blastu:

You should try Winota, Joiner of Forces. It's brutal how much power it can just vomit on the board.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Are you me?

Exodus standard was wild, Hatred was a real fuckin card :getin:

Hahaha

The power creep from Visions through Urza's Saga block slowly killed my love of the game over time. There was a hot minute (like a month or two) where Yawgmoth's Bargain was legal in both standard and extended, and Trix had it to run alongside Necropotence in extended. It was kind of fun in an increasingly stupid way, but even me as a dumb teenager could see the writing on the wall that standard was a loving rat race.

And don't even get me started about Tradewind Riders in Masques. They finally halted the power creep after the fiasco that was Urza's block, only to create a meta warped by Valium in MTG form. :suicide:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You should try Winota, Joiner of Forces. It's brutal how much power it can just vomit on the board.

I happen to be in the market for a Boros deck right now. Maybe I'll brew something up and see how it goes. Thanks for the recommendation.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Red/White is easily one of my favorite color pairs right now. It almost feels absurd to say that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Railing Kill posted:

Hahaha

The power creep from Visions through Urza's Saga block slowly killed my love of the game over time. There was a hot minute (like a month or two) where Yawgmoth's Bargain was legal in both standard and extended, and Trix had it to run alongside Necropotence in extended. It was kind of fun in an increasingly stupid way, but even me as a dumb teenager could see the writing on the wall that standard was a loving rat race.

And don't even get me started about Tradewind Riders in Masques. They finally halted the power creep after the fiasco that was Urza's block, only to create a meta warped by Valium in MTG form. :suicide:

I'm convinced you're some undiagnosed DID induced alternate personality of mine, because holy poo poo I also dropped the game because urzas block was absolute bullshit and ruined every format

The only evidence against you not being a figment of my subconscious is the fact that I remember that Tradewind Rider was from Tempest, and I fuckin hated that card :v:

Also, do you get hives when you remember being blown out multiple times by Honorable Passage too?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Go to play my Go-Shintai deck tonight and it was a lot of fun. I won but it wasn't a blowout, I just managed to stabilize and synergize fastest after our fourth board wipe lol. Just love a bunch of buildings kicking rear end kind of sitting around, pulling some weird nonsense just by existing. A few times I thought I was done for, unless I drew into Replenish or something, but the commander alone is good by itself to get a shrine back out and start the engine again.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Silhouette posted:

I'm convinced you're some undiagnosed DID induced alternate personality of mine, because holy poo poo I also dropped the game because urzas block was absolute bullshit and ruined every format

The only evidence against you not being a figment of my subconscious is the fact that I remember that Tradewind Rider was from Tempest, and I fuckin hated that card :v:

Also, do you get hives when you remember being blown out multiple times by Honorable Passage too?

Thatg's right! Riders was Tempest. Capsize and all that. Masques had Dust Bowl and a couple decks that ran that. A totally different kind of obnoxious, but obnoxious nonetheless.

But, yes, I would say I am some Philip K. Dick alt-reality shadow of you, but you're the one whose screenname is Silhouette. So I am the real me.

Am I....?!

:tinfoil:

Also: I am always tickled by the specific jank R/B aggro used to get by using. Phyrexian Negator is a 5/5 trample for 3CMC, but you have to sac a permanent for every point of damage it takes. Slammed a ton of those guys out on turn one with Dark Rituals live fast, die hard, motherfuckers. :black101:

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Railing Kill posted:

Also: I am always tickled by the specific jank R/B aggro used to get by using. Phyrexian Negator is a 5/5 trample for 3CMC, but you have to sac a permanent for every point of damage it takes. Slammed a ton of those guys out on turn one with Dark Rituals live fast, die hard, motherfuckers. :black101:

Jackal Pup winning 1st at a pro tour is wild to think about.

Any R/x commanders where you benefit from taking damage? I want to find a home for the pup.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

generatrix posted:

Jackal Pup winning 1st at a pro tour is wild to think about.

Any R/x commanders where you benefit from taking damage? I want to find a home for the pup.

Greven, Predator Captain has a pseudo-Hatred stapled to him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm only 3 cuts away from finishing this decklist for my Halo Fountain / Faerie tribal deck: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/rk9SvqVgEU23bGWnd6BSlg

IN addition to needing to cut 3 cards still, I also am worried about the "untap 15 tapped" part of Halo Fountain, I think I might need some way to reliably tap 15 creatures without risking them to die in combat.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Khanstant posted:

I'm only 3 cuts away from finishing this decklist for my Halo Fountain / Faerie tribal deck: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/rk9SvqVgEU23bGWnd6BSlg

IN addition to needing to cut 3 cards still, I also am worried about the "untap 15 tapped" part of Halo Fountain, I think I might need some way to reliably tap 15 creatures without risking them to die in combat.

Uh, why would they die in combat? Go to combat > declare all as attackers > activate Halo Fountain > the game ends

They won't die in combat because the game will be over.

As far as cuts, you could probably afford to cut a land or two, the artifact lands don't seem to do much for you besides getting blown up by Vandalblast. Peppersmoke is also not great, I know it synergizes with your commander but -1/-1 is rarely enough to be relevant removal in my experience.

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 28, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Khanstant posted:

Play some Convoke spells like Hour of Reckoning.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Uh, why would they die in combat? Go to combat > declare all as attackers > activate Halo Fountain > the game ends

They won't die in combat because the game will be over.

As far as cuts, you could probably afford to cut a land or two, the artifact lands don't seem to do much for you besides getting blown up by Vandalblast. Peppersmoke is also not great, I know it synergizes with your commander but -1/-1 is rarely enough to be relevant removal in my experience.

This.

Also, it isn’t even like your opponents can respond since untapping them is part of the cost. They’d have to do something before you even declare attackers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh, yeah, dumb question lol, was just skipping a step in my head, the most important one in my case.

Happy to cut a couple lands, I removed a couple artifact lands already since they don't actually matter much since I didn't lean into artifact synergy much anyway. Peppersmoke can go, it was mostly there for flavour and cantrip. Hour of Reckoning is a good consideration, need to see how often my non-tokens get to stick around. If nothing else, this is cool card and convoke in general I haven't played with yet. Thank y'all!

I also love that this tribal theme has two dedicated lands. Secluded Glen is a fine conditional dualland, Faerie Conclave seems a bit less helpful as a blue tapped land, but don't think I've ever gotten to build a deck with themed land before. I thought about making a deck just because of Griffin Canyon before, wonder what the most themy you can get with lands and tribal.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
If you really want your win condition to be Halo Fountain, it's probably worth running more artifact tutors. Fabricate, Trophy Mage, and Reshape are all good.

Glen Elendra Archmage is also very on theme and an excellent card.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah, good point, I usually try not to use tutors for my own reasons but usually my wincon involves my commander, halo fountain needs to be super accessible to work as my wincon so could use more than the 2 or so ways to nab it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://mtgcommander.net/index.php/2023/01/30/january-2023-quarterly-update/

No changes to poison counters, no preemptive action against new Elesh (lol), Dockside is off the chopping block (god bless).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

https://mtgcommander.net/index.php/2023/01/30/january-2023-quarterly-update/

No changes to poison counters, no preemptive action against new Elesh (lol), Dockside is off the chopping block (god bless).

quote:

While Sheldon’s article may have raised some eyebrows about Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines, the RC has had no discussions about banning it. Some of us had concerns about the design: stapling a casual-popular mechanic onto a casual-dangerous mechanic comes with some risks that are unrelated to power level, but there’s absolutely no way that would lead to a zero-day ban, and we doubt any action will be needed in the future.

Friendly reminder that Panharmonicon sees play in 4% of all decks, and Torpor Orb sees play in 1%. Even if there's been no actual talk of banning it, he sure continues to make new Norn into a boogeyman that it will never be.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Framboise posted:

Friendly reminder that Panharmonicon sees play in 4% of all decks, and Torpor Orb sees play in 1%. Even if there's been no actual talk of banning it, he sure continues to make new Norn into a boogeyman that it will never be.

I just don't know why it's "casual dangerous". If your deck can't deal with "a creature" then you deserve to lose. It's not as if it's Rhystic Study or Smothering Tithe or Winter Orb, things that absolutely distort the entire gamestate. If your whole deck relies on etbs then you should have some way to blow up torpor orb and Elesh Norn. If it's for the value of doubling etbs then it's just a value card, and you're saying it's better than Rhystic Study?

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012
Was Dockside really worth keeping an eye on or did people just want it banned because it's $70 lol

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Han Yolo posted:

Was Dockside really worth keeping an eye on or did people just want it banned because it's $70 lol

Dockside is a format-warping card in cEDH, as it's the strongest ritual ever made lol

It just isn't a problem in casual and that's why it isn't as big of a concern.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Keeping it at $70 does keep it out of the hands of a lot of casuals, so... it's a solution? Just a lovely one.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

I just don't know why it's "casual dangerous". If your deck can't deal with "a creature" then you deserve to lose. It's not as if it's Rhystic Study or Smothering Tithe or Winter Orb, things that absolutely distort the entire gamestate. If your whole deck relies on etbs then you should have some way to blow up torpor orb and Elesh Norn. If it's for the value of doubling etbs then it's just a value card, and you're saying it's better than Rhystic Study?

Me remembering that I built my Riku ETB deck with 95/100 cards being permanents and with no non-etb way to get rid of Torpor Orb or Elesh Norn:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Toshimo posted:

Keeping it at $70 does keep it out of the hands of a lot of casuals, so... it's a solution? Just a lovely one.

Dockside should've been reprinted in BRO as a rare

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

If Wizards won't reprint Dockside then players will just make their own at home in their bathtubs!

E:

Gonna troll Sheldon and ask him if Sylvan Primordial and Sundering Titan can come off the ban list now that the all-powerful, unstoppable Elesh Norn has been printed.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 31, 2023

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
"not a problem for casual tables" lmao

I printed a ton of them shits from the proxy guys and just hand em out like candy

OH IT'LL BE A PROBLEM

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Someone in this thread said Sheldon thinks the only moral way to play EDH is badly and that statement has lived rent free in my head since.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It's so wild that Dockside is basically not banned due to price. If it was $5 and everyone had one it would've been banned a year ago.

Come on Sheldon, unban Power 9, it won't affect casual tables so who cares??

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I don’t think Dockside would be banned if it was cheaper lol. It’s an extremely powerful card but I don’t think it’s out of line compared to the absolute best cards that nobody ever talks about banning.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The reason why Dockside is generally a non-issue for casual is that casual players' pods don't generally have all 4 decks loaded with fast mana all dropped on turn 1 (along with Mystic Remoras and Carpets of Flowers and such).

A Dockside that makes 5-6 mana on turn 4-5 is kinda whatever, but a Dockside that makes that much on turn 2 is pretty crazy (and WAY more on later turns).

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
if dockside was a common then all these nerds would be screeching about wanting it banned like Sol Ring.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lol, I hope this store gets reported: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/10q3g57/are_mdfc_placeholder_cards_proxies/

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah that's bullshit. That's exactly the point of those cards!

I don't like using them but I can understand if people don't like unsleeving to flip a card.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Framboise posted:

Yeah that's bullshit. That's exactly the point of those cards!

I don't like using them but I can understand if people don't like unsleeving to flip a card.

They're also good for people that are super paranoid in competitive play depending on exactly how opaque their sleeves are. People can and have gotten penalized for marked cards due to flip cards and insufficiently opaque sleeves.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
just sounds like a dumb paranoid LGS that wants to snub proxying to force people to buy their card stock which is usually also overpriced. when i was a kid you were also restricted from trading and selling yugioh cards at the place.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Last time I seriously played Commander, I loved my Maelstrom Wanderer deck. It was an interesting commander because it didn't want some staples as they were bad to cascade into. How's Maelstrom Wanderer hold up these days? There's been a lot more cascade tools printed since I last had the deck built.

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.

LifeLynx posted:

Last time I seriously played Commander, I loved my Maelstrom Wanderer deck. It was an interesting commander because it didn't want some staples as they were bad to cascade into. How's Maelstrom Wanderer hold up these days? There's been a lot more cascade tools printed since I last had the deck built.

I have a rough draft going here. Needs more refinement, was trying for landfall value with a few cards to help stack the deck and set up fun cascades. Maybe get some ideas there, maybe it's terrible. Also, the Warhammer 40k decks gave us this new cost reducer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope they reprint those cards/decks as Magic themed cards someday.