Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

nom epique posted:

those are series 7 OP

Sorry that i wasn't specifically saying the 1 year old watches were S7. The stainless are still dropping in price, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

incoherent posted:

Sorry that i wasn't specifically saying the 1 year old watches were S7. The stainless are still dropping in price, however.

Huh? I don’t know Apple Watch well so isn’t S7 1 year old?

Anyways I bought one so thanks for the link. Never tried one at a store but have been wanting one a while. Got the smaller one for my dainty gentle wrists. Free returns if I don’t like it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m at a month with my ultra and I love it. I happen to think it’s the best looking watch they’ve put out and it doesn’t wear as big as it looks in the pics. I appreciate the larger screen (my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be) and I like my scuba band even though the closest it will come to diving is the shower.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Pants Donkey posted:

Most apps will blur so people can’t read off your watch. This more or less applies to anything that could be considered private, so text messages, workouts, music, and basically everything except the watch face.
ah that makes sense, thanks!

eightysixed posted:

How is that even possible? What were you doing :2monocle:
maybe washing my hands wrong?? ha I dunno, it's usualliy either theater mode, the weather clock thing, or podcast playback getting sped up (granted the latter 2 make more sense since they'd have controls on the main screen at the time)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m at a month with my ultra and I love it. I happen to think it’s the best looking watch they’ve put out and it doesn’t wear as big as it looks in the pics. I appreciate the larger screen (my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be) and I like my scuba band even though the closest it will come to diving is the shower.

I 100% agree with this after also having mine for a month.

It’s a fantastic watch

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I would have considered an ultra if I didn’t have little bird twig wrists. I would have found a way to justify it even if my most action packed activity is indoor HIIT.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Completely agree.

My only complaint is that due to the larger size, I'm constantly hitting the action button when I'm in a pushup/plank position, causing it to fire off a segment break. And during hockey, the water lock is being dis-engaged randomly and I had my hockey workout end prematurely probably 5 times last night. Never had the issue with workouts ending early with my 6.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Whoever suggested Slopes for skiing, y’all rock. I’ve used it twice and man is it great. They emailed me a 1-day premium pass after I used it for the first time, so I used that pass a couple days ago. The stats, run views, and live friend tracking are really cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nice.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Whoever suggested Slopes for skiing, y’all rock. I’ve used it twice and man is it great. They emailed me a 1-day premium pass after I used it for the first time, so I used that pass a couple days ago. The stats, run views, and live friend tracking are really cool.

It’s one of the best apps I’ve ever used! Also the dev is super cool and engaged.

I had a bug this season just how that meant I lost a couple of days and they just threw some premium passes at me and fixed the bug in a few days.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

well they also finally knocked out the api for dark sky on the watch. it's just a bunch of dotted lines where the current weather, high/low temp, and sunrise/sunset would be

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Where those mountains at? Don't have any mountains here in IL.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Where those mountains at? Don't have any mountains here in IL.

Tahoe!

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I don’t think we’re ok with people making posts that achieve the level of adventure shown in Tim’s ads.

Watch yourself

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I don’t think we’re ok with people making posts that achieve the level of adventure shown in Tim’s ads.

Watch yourself

What if I told you, I don't like to paddleboard on the lake while taking work calls on my cellular Apple Watch Series 3?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think I remember there was an ad a few years back of a guy taking a call while surfing and I can’t think of anything worse

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Where are the ads showing a guy dismissing his "it's time to stand up" notification 3 separate times across the same video game session

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Red_Fred posted:

I think I remember there was an ad a few years back of a guy taking a call while surfing and I can’t think of anything worse

Real life example of worse. Buddy was learning how to Downwind in the ocean. So Stand Up Paddle (with a foil) in strong winds. People called the lifeguards on him since it looks like he's struggling and it's to windy to be out on a SUP. He's out there just fighting the fight, trying to figure it out. His watch starts blowing up. It was the Coast Guard who were searching for him with a helicopter and rescue boat, and finally got a hold of him by texting his apple watch. :) He politely declined help and finished the run.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Watch yourself

You don’t want to sleep in a tent attached to the side of a mountain ?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Duckman2008 posted:

You don’t want to sleep in a tent attached to the side of a mountain ?

:gary:

Nah, I sleep in a big bed with my wife

Just kidding I'm pretty lonely

Anyway, I got the 41mm Series 7 Stainless Steel and Abyss Blue Sport Band, linked upthread. My first AW. It's pretty dope.

The stainless body is very nice. I have yet to try the aluminum one in store to compare. I see that stainless has for all intents and purposes been discontinued for Series 8, except for some $800 exorbitant special edition with a chintzy band. I guess not enough people ordered it, or the material was difficult enough to do that the profit margin wasn't making it worth it. :shrug:

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch?preSelect=false&product=MNKW3LL/A&step=detail

The band looks cool and I'd like to try it if my wallet weren't already hurt and sad.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 29, 2023

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

It was already time to replace my Series 5, I had just been procrastinating deciding between SS or another aluminum watch, really leaning towards SS, until I saw an Ultra an an actual person on Friday and picked up one today.

I get why Apple is really leaning into the extreme fitness angle, but in my mind it was like an old school Forerunner sized device, Apple even heavily suggests it is by saying they are supporting you having two personal Apple watches, an Ultra for athletic stuff and a Series 8 for everyday.

It is for sure a chunky watch, but it's like a chunky watch in the everyday chunky watch sense, not in the competitive athlete sense, it's really not that much larger than my Series 5 44mm, almost all of the size is depth, which really isn't noticeable just seeing it on someone's wrist, the crown protector, but still, an embellishment, not like some massive watch element, it's not that much larger than the protruding crown on the Series 5.

If anything, side by side, the Ultra doesn't look large compared to the 44mm, it makes the 44mm look kind of, dainty.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Has anyone had Touchscreen issues out of nowhere somewhat recently? I feel like it’s been happening quite a bit after the 9.3 update

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Chiming in to say I picked up one of the magnetic Milano steel straps and it’s the most comfortable watch strap I’ve ever worn. Have gone from swapping straps depending on whether I’m exercising/sleeping/going out to just using this one consistently.

Got it second hand off eBay for cheap though, I’m not a monster, don’t pay apple prices for it

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are showers…bad for your hearing? Whenever my watch comes with me it complains about detected noise levels of +100dba. I figure it’s a fluke it’s just funny that it gets triggered 100% of the time each time it goes in there with me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The HR tracking of my watch has been pretty impeccable for general use as well as running and mountain biking. But when I'm snowboarding, I should be dying according to the heart rate peaks. I guess too much shaking and vibrations. I'm surprised it hasn't attempted to call emergency services with what false positives on crash detection.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

buglord posted:

Are showers…bad for your hearing? Whenever my watch comes with me it complains about detected noise levels of +100dba. I figure it’s a fluke it’s just funny that it gets triggered 100% of the time each time it goes in there with me.

I think water getting in the mic fucks with the sound measurement, as I’ve observed the same thing. Turning on water lock mode disables the sound level measurement, probably for that reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a fluke. The shower drops are hitting the microphone, which it is interpreting as really loud sounds (since "sound" is just an interpretation of pressure waves)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I've gotten the warning while putting away dishes.

I assume it's because there are some noises that happen by your hands that are pretty loud out there but not really powerful, and the mic is looking for sounds that are equally loud across your whole body because the watch assumes it's measuring sounds from loudspeakers or whatever which can be safely assumed to be the same volume at wrist and ear level.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah every time I use an automatic hand dryer I get told off for putting myself at severe risk of deafness

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

The HR tracking of my watch has been pretty impeccable for general use as well as running and mountain biking. But when I'm snowboarding, I should be dying according to the heart rate peaks. I guess too much shaking and vibrations. I'm surprised it hasn't attempted to call emergency services with what false positives on crash detection.

I feel like you might underestimate the exertion during snowboarding? Also if you’re higher up the air is thinner so your heart rate would be higher I think.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

I feel like you might underestimate the exertion during snowboarding? Also if you’re higher up the air is thinner so your heart rate would be higher I think.

Elevation raises heart rate but it typically doesn’t kick in until ~7-8k feet ASL, and scales from there. Also it raises your RHR, not your max; it doesn’t cause a bigger peak, it gives you a higher floor and a steeper rise to max.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I got a noise warning a few weeks ago at like 4:30am while I was in bed sleeping. Either I was being abducted by aliens or I guess my watch rubbed the pillow at the precise angle so that the microphone was overwhelmed.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do people find sleep tracking useful? I’ve been messing with it lately and it just seems like “yep, there is some rem and there is a lot of core and a little deep sleep and there is where my cat woke me up.”

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, I find no use for sleep tracking outside of the novelty of it. I wear my watch to bed to use the silent alarm in the morning so I don’t wake my wife.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

smackfu posted:

Do people find sleep tracking useful? I’ve been messing with it lately and it just seems like “yep, there is some rem and there is a lot of core and a little deep sleep and there is where my cat woke me up.”

I always struggled with my sleep schedule and having sleep tracking really helped me get better about it and find and cut out a couple bad habits that were really loving me up. But I don’t get much value from the like, analysis of how I slept, pretty much just the total.

I also use an app, AutoSleep, rather than the built-in one, mostly out of habit from before it was built in, but it’s also nice now that I have a newborn that I can tell how long of a nap I got when I fall asleep in my chair

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

I only wear the watch on the indoor slope, which is at like 300m/900ft elevation above the sea level and only 400m/1200ft long. Not much to get exerted for. At least not to 175-180 BPM levels. On outside slopes, I wear wrist protection, no place for a watch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

smackfu posted:

Those are exactly my thoughts. I can't stand the haptic alarms on my wrist either.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I thought I cared enough about sleep tracking to get one of those under-mattress trackers.

This post is the first time in probably eight months that I remembered I even have it.

I couldn't imagine sleeping with a watch though. Would have not been feasible on my lovely battery S4. The S8 might do a better job, but I still don't think I'd like something sitting on my arm all night.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I did sleep tracking for a while then realized that data wasn’t remotely useful to me. I know whether or not I got a good night’s sleep, I don’t need my watch to confirm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Silent vibrating alarm for waking up is p. nice, tho. I don't need some synthetic siren waking me up.