Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Warbird posted:

Mildly fun aside: I once got paid in pizza to go hang out in a stadium bathroom with umpteen hundred other people and coordinate flushing to make sure the associated systems could handle it.

Well, did they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Their posts are here, so evidently.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mobby_6kl posted:

"Auckland International Airport has been closed by flooding, hours after a landing plane hit and damaged several runway lights causing major delays to flights"

What a confusing sentence. What does the plane hitting runway lights have to do with the flooding?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BonoMan posted:

What a confusing sentence. What does the plane hitting runway lights have to do with the flooding?

it never rains, but it pours

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's a little known fact New Zealand runs on high pressure water lines. Every light has a little paddle wheel inside to generate electricity.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Pablo Bluth posted:

It's a little known fact New Zealand runs on high pressure water lines. Every light has a little paddle wheel inside to generate electricity.

Thats the definition of steampunk right there.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Correction: Waterpunk. There's no steam involved — do you think they're crazy?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Iirc one of the older sections of the stadium had some mild flooding but they apparently fixed it pretty quickly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Journalists aren't trained to write anymore and copy editors no longer exist.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Pablo Bluth posted:

Genius. The paddle wheels generate electricity which power the pumps which increase the water pressure which generate more electricity... the excess would be gargantuan and solve the carbon problem once and for all

Suck it fusion.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

slidebite posted:

Genius. The paddle wheels generate electricity which power the pumps which increase the water pressure which generate more electricity... the excess would be gargantuan and solve the carbon problem once and for all

Suck it fusion.

All the heat from all the paddles mechanical action and compressing the water can be used to heat other pipes and make steam which pumps pistons to push even more water through the pipes.

You've done it! A perpetual motion free energy machine. I expect an honorable mention in your Nobel speech.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BonoMan posted:

Those were floodlights.

Yeah it's not the best explanation, I just copied it from imgur or wherever I found it

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

Those were floodlights.

i will fight u

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pablo Bluth posted:

That’s district hydraulic power, and it existed in some cities into the space age.

London at its peak had three hundred kilometres of pipes holding water under fifty atmospheres of pressure.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mobby_6kl posted:

"Auckland International Airport has been closed by flooding, hours after a landing plane hit and damaged several runway lights causing major delays to flights"

We'll be making a water landing, but that's OK because this is a seaplane.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I flew Delta for the first time since.... At least 2000, possibly the mid 1990s

I always thought that's because Delta is a tiny dying airline simply because I hadn't ever flown it, that I could remember

Close calls...

2015 Flew dfw -> Gothenburg via Delta code share but clearly KLM marked/service
2019 flew SFO -> sea via compass airlines (dba Delta), return via Alaska
2019 flew SFO -> Guadalajara, actually on Delta, apparently? But via ATL wtf
2022 CLT to WAW, but code shares with endeavor, air France and again klm

Finally flew Delta again in January SFO to CLT via ATL

Anyways what the gently caress, I fly like, I dunno at least 4 times a year, probably double that. how did I manage to avoid flying Delta so long

2000-2015 I was in Dallas which is an American hub and then 15-22 I was mostly flying in and out of SFO which has large presence by AA and United. Really surprised that in all my flights that one wacky flight to Guadalajara was the only other actual Delta flight in 22 years. Do they mostly exclusively fly north south routes along the east coast and up through the great lakes area or what

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what is the point of that post

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
It is both aeronautic and insanity related.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

how did I manage to avoid flying Delta so long

Statistically if all three big carriers have roughly the same flight coverage it seems outrageously unlikely for me to never fly Delta

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Because coverage is not evenly distributed.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Hadlock posted:

how did I manage to avoid flying Delta so long

Statistically if all three big carriers have roughly the same flight coverage it seems outrageously unlikely for me to never fly Delta

They don't, and you forgot Southwest. Capacity is market-based.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Like, what does Delta as a name even mean man

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arson Daily posted:

Like, what does Delta as a name even mean man

Delta stuck me in Salt Lake last night after a fuel diversion. We landed, fueled, they told us to stay on board. They then told us to deplane so they could clean the jet. Then they reboarded us, had the doors closed and the tug hooked up, and dispatch told the captain that there weren’t enough gates at KJAC to accept us before the crew timed out, so they just postponed the flight to 8am the next day.

They then took FIVE HOURS to get our bags off the airplane, by which time every restaurant and bar in the area was closed. We missed the big group snowmobile trip that our entire vacation was kinda centered around, and we’re presently once again sitting in SLC wishing death on the widget.

gently caress Delta Airlines.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

MrYenko posted:

It’s Delta Air Lines.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They should rename themselves to AtlantAir, honestly.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

MrYenko posted:

Delta stuck me in Salt Lake last night after a fuel diversion. We landed, fueled, they told us to stay on board. They then told us to deplane so they could clean the jet. Then they reboarded us, had the doors closed and the tug hooked up, and dispatch told the captain that there weren’t enough gates at KJAC to accept us before the crew timed out, so they just postponed the flight to 8am the next day.

They then took FIVE HOURS to get our bags off the airplane, by which time every restaurant and bar in the area was closed. We missed the big group snowmobile trip that our entire vacation was kinda centered around, and we’re presently once again sitting in SLC wishing death on the widget.

Delta once left our luggage out in the rain at jfk and them sent it half way around the world before returning it to our doorstep 3 weeks later covered in mold.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

Delta once left our luggage out in the rain at jfk and them sent it half way around the world before returning it to our doorstep 3 weeks later covered in mold.

could be worse:

https://www.blogto.com/travel/2023/01/ontario-couple-tracking-lost-baggage-shocked-air-canada-gave-it-charity/

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Aw gently caress I think I'm flying air Canada this year for a leg of a trip

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

Aw gently caress I think I'm flying air Canada this year for a leg of a trip

If it’s within Canada there probably isn’t a better option.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They should rename themselves to AtlantAir, honestly.

And Detroit.

It keeps looking like they’re going to bring more flights through MSP but then not really. MSP still has a good amount of empty space, though I suppose much of that is the A/B regional concourses that have been forgotten to time.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
What is this parody of a plane I saw at the Virgin hangar at LHR yesterday?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I reckon that's a mock plane used for training by the airport fire service

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
That makes sense, given the amount of rust it's certainly been wet a lot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've never seen one painted before. On USAF bases they're just airplane-shaped RUST.

They're also not next to buildings.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Space is rather at a premium at Heathrow.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Apple Maps has it on satellite

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Weirdy all planes at Heathrow have been cloned out on google maps, including the green one in question. I spent ages trying to locate it before I twigged. Google Street view actually included the road shown in that image so you can see it through th we gate gap in the wall.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'd try going max in small claims court.

Judges will sometimes put a very dim view on a company that totally abuses the power differential when it slips towards gross negligence and incompetence.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I've had good luck with Delta, but you can't trust any airline to not gently caress you over at the worst time

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Indeed, all airlines absolutely will poo poo the bed from time to time. If you're in the middle of it, it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I always thought that's because Delta is a tiny dying airline simply because I hadn't ever flown it, that I could remember

Delta is the world's largest airline by market capitalization, revenue, and assets owned, and had the world's largest schedule by passenger-kilometer (350 billion!) pre-covid. It is also the primary tenant of the world's busiest passenger airport (KATL) that has been ranked as such for at least 20 years. Not sure where you got that idea.