Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

kensei posted:

The previous thread is not in the GoldMine, where do I file the bug report?

e: vvvv loving lol

Sorry, I was away from a personal PC for a bit. Into the GoodMine it goes.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845247

A Frosty Witch posted:

I sent an email to lowtax about it. Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

Thank you for the new thread title. Sorry, I know the thread is new, I'm abusing my power, etc., but it needs to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

:glomp:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Internet Explorer posted:

Thank you for the new thread title.

Finally, my unfinished business is complete and I can move on to the afterlife

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

No! The logs got backed up!!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Deploy more buffalos

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A Frosty Witch posted:

Finally, my unfinished business is complete and I can move on to the afterlife

That doesn't absolve you.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That doesn't absolve you.

Are you suggesting it's still some of her concern?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Agrikk posted:

The actual problem we face is that the people we interact with in the daily don’t report to their superiors about operational issues due to a culture of pass-the-blame. [Customer] has a toxic culture of assigning blame rather than being solution focused and we’ve literally been in conference calls during customer outages during which production was on fire and yet eight people on the customer side argued about whose fault it was while we listened awkwardly and tried to redirect the conversation towards fixing the problem.

I was on a project for a large bank/financial services company where everyone was such a stupid, miserable rear end in a top hat to one another it blew my mind. Like they would spend an entire hour long call bickering and blaming one another and half the time it was about poo poo that wasn’t even adjacent to the project I was on. In eight years of consulting it was the only project I’ve ever demanded to be removed from and set my bar for ‘how lovely companies can be’ even lower than it had been. I assume it’s a response to a top-down culture that is punitive about mistakes, or they are purposely hiring miserable fuckwits for some reason.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

A Frosty Witch posted:

I sent an email to lowtax about it. Hopefully we'll hear back soon.

I literally just learned about this three days ago, Anyone else lose like 3 years recently?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Are you suggesting it's still some of her concern?

That doesn't concern you.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I literally just learned about this three days ago, Anyone else lose like 3 years recently?

I mean, yes, everybody. But don’t feel too bad. It was news for like a week and then completely disappeared as everyone forgot about him like they should.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The thread also got shitcanned pretty quickly once everything that needed to be said was said. So if you weren't around as much during that period, it would have been easy to miss.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The thread was dancing a fine line between "ding dong an rear end in a top hat's dead" and "Do we really want his living children to read this thread?".

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kurieg posted:

The thread was dancing a fine line between "ding dong an rear end in a top hat's dead" and "Do we really want his living children to read this thread?".

Plus there was a crazy person that kept reregging to defend Lowtax and to call Lady Ambien a liar.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Crossposting my post from the corporate thread because of the outcome:
I'm now being what feels like victim blamed for the Outlook on my new work laptop that IT just gave me not working.

Two different people in IT, my boss, and my wife: "Well did you change any settings?!?"
"Uh yeah I've been here 9 years, this is my third laptop that the company has given me... I did whatever I wanted with the prior two and had no issues, and was not warned that changing settings on this new laptop would cause Outlook to poo poo itself if I did crazy poo poo like "opening emails" and "scheduling meetings", so I turned off the dumbass "guess the next word I'm going to type" setting and changed a few other minor usability things."

God forbid I change a few minor settings so my current experience matches my old experience so I can work more efficiently. I'm now on my second brand new laptop in as many months and even on the new-new one, Outlook is still crashing even after I did not change any settings.

Today Microsoft word started crashing when I tried to.... open a word doc.

We found out that the issue is DNS, because we use OneDrive and IT now thinks the crashes are happening because of DNS issues we're having.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm now being what feels like victim blamed for the Outlook on my new work laptop that IT just gave me not working.

Two different people in IT, my boss, and my wife: "Well did you change any settings?!?"
"Uh yeah I've been here 9 years, this is my third laptop that the company has given me... I did whatever I wanted with the prior two and had no issues, and was not warned that changing settings on this new laptop would cause Outlook to poo poo itself if I did crazy poo poo like "opening emails" and "scheduling meetings", so I turned off the dumbass "guess the next word I'm going to type" setting and changed a few other minor usability things."

God forbid I change a few minor settings so my current experience matches my old experience so I can work more efficiently. I'm now on my second brand new laptop in as many months and even on the new-new one, Outlook is still crashing even after I did not change any settings.

We found out that the issue is DNS, because we use OneDrive and IT now thinks the crashes are happening because of DNS issues we're having.

Posting bullshit like this in this thread at 4:54 on a Friday....yeah pretty much tracks with the rest of your post.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Someone post the haiku

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I managed to pick the exact hex code for orange today that when you put it into the colour picker in MSPaint it silently crashes to desktop.

Twice.

And I didn't write it down :negative:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
A peer on the day side over in the warehouse was having an issue where excel kept hanging up so he put in a ticket and when on the phone with tier 1 they told him his problem was that he has more than 1 spreadsheet open and needed to only open them one at a time. :confused:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Arquinsiel posted:

I managed to pick the exact hex code for orange today that when you put it into the colour picker in MSPaint it silently crashes to desktop.

Twice.

And I didn't write it down :negative:

Wait, what? Are you serious? This sounds like "grandma keeps crashing her computer but she's not computer illiterate, she's just cursed" territory.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, the orange note

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Reminds me of the 8k file size bug in Dreamweaver many moons ago.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tactlessbastard posted:

A peer on the day side over in the warehouse was having an issue where excel kept hanging up so he put in a ticket and when on the phone with tier 1 they told him his problem was that he has more than 1 spreadsheet open and needed to only open them one at a time. :confused:

Excel will regularly not open a second file until I close the first one, so that tracks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My favorite excel quirk is that it is incapable of having two files with the same name open, even if they are at different locations.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
An escalation came in at 4:30 on Friday for a user having MFA issues:

-user confirmed that she was getting multiple codes but cant authenticate as she cant understand the codes
-user mentioned that she does not understand how to authenticate
-however user disconnected the line
-called back, got voicemail, left a message

We aren't helpdesk, we're infrastructure and networking. I am kinda surprised at how miffed I am at the very idea of going back to end user support, but someone else can explain how to type numbers into a box.

Feels good to be able to reply with "This doesn't concern me".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Wait, what? Are you serious? This sounds like "grandma keeps crashing her computer but she's not computer illiterate, she's just cursed" territory.
Yup, just kept happening as I was trying to redact a hash captured by Responder, and only stopped when I changes too many variables at once to really know what the issue is.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

What exact version of Office do you have? Like go into About and find the full 16.234.3235443 or whatever it says. That sounds a lot like a problem I spent like a month swapping out laptops for and getting ready to elevate to HP because reimages weren't fixing it, until I discovered our Office patching method had stopped working and there was a version of Office released mid-2022 that just flat-out randomly crashes. And that just happened to be be the version pushed after a reimage then never patched. If I remember I'll find the exact version that caused problems from my work PC tomorrow.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Knormal posted:

What exact version of Office do you have? Like go into About and find the full 16.234.3235443 or whatever it says. That sounds a lot like a problem I spent like a month swapping out laptops for and getting ready to elevate to HP because reimages weren't fixing it, until I discovered our Office patching method had stopped working and there was a version of Office released mid-2022 that just flat-out randomly crashes. And that just happened to be be the version pushed after a reimage then never patched. If I remember I'll find the exact version that caused problems from my work PC tomorrow.
Sent you a PM as to not poo poo up the thread with it.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

RFC2324 posted:

There were some true giants in the industry in those early days

I wonder if that's because things were less complicated to computer back then?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My guess is less abstraction layers between the user and the bare metal. Made it so getting a computer to do anything at all was low-level stuff.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Teams is giving out good advice now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Xerol posted:

Same

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004

Xerol posted:

Crack or whisker

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Smudge.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Post your best UI buttons with bad vibes

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Excel will regularly not open a second file until I close the first one, so that tracks.

Are you in cell edit mode on the first one?

If I double click on a cell to make the cursor blink in the text entry area at the top, subsequent spreadsheets won’t open until I hit enter in the first one to commit changes in the cell.

Could that be the issue? :shrug:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Entropic posted:

Post your best UI buttons with bad vibes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There was also a version of the printer queue dock icon that if you clicked on it just said "Stop Jobs" and I was like :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Agrikk posted:

Are you in cell edit mode on the first one?

If I double click on a cell to make the cursor blink in the text entry area at the top, subsequent spreadsheets won’t open until I hit enter in the first one to commit changes in the cell.

Could that be the issue? :shrug:

Turns out that is exactly the issue, lmao