Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
GPU: AMD 5000 series (5500 XT) or above. Nvidia 1000 series (1060) or above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Twerk from Home posted:

Back in my day, system requirements said “Hardware transform and lighting” and you better believe people didn’t try and handwave about how their Voodoo3 was actually comparable to a GeForce, they just cried.

Very specifically, 3DMark 2000 made use of hardware t&l... BUT.. I remember running the demo on a voodoo3 3000 AGP, and nobody (in person, at the time) could figure out why. It ran, in its entirety

I'm one of those guys (except not). I never got an answer as to why the demo ran.. NOT the full benchmark, parts were skipped

3Dmark 2000 was totally iconic in my eyes, but probably means dick all to people these days. I don't have the hardware in front of me to test, as it's in another country (or, at worst, thrown out)

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 27, 2023

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

If I wanted to do a very dumb thing, does anyone actually sell pre-waterblocked 4090s? The only model I can even find evidence of existing is some Inno3D thing that doesn't appear to even be sold in the US.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I was looking at 3090s on ebay and I saw this.

Makes me think of those anti-pigeon spike strips that don't work.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kramjacks posted:

I was looking at 3090s on ebay and I saw this.

Makes me think of those anti-pigeon spike strips that don't work.

galaxy brain

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

i suppose, but system requirements are usually taken as a rough performance guideline that can be fudged a bit, rather than a hard cut-off where the game won't run at all

it wouldn't hurt to note that 12_1 is a strict requirement to run the game at all, period

Wow that’s actually crazy, that’s… everything pre-Vega actually, and also knocks off Xbox One and One X family (and presumably PS4 family but they don’t have an official DX level). Like that’s actually a crazy recent cutoff, Polaris isn’t that old, only just… 7 years? :corsair:

But yeah there are gonna be some unhappy 480/580 owners if that becomes the pattern… and pricing has been downhill from there, that was the last of the Good Cheap Mainstream Cards.

Still runs on Maxwell though, it’s all about that long-term support story, aging like a fine wine :unsmigghh:

(unironically tho bringing DX12 11_0 support to Fermi even if it’s not great was a nice gift for the community that NVIDIA didn’t have to do, especially in an era when AMD was dropping early GCN support let alone adding features, and there was no real profit motive in doing a big driver update for something that old.)

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

power crystals posted:

If I wanted to do a very dumb thing, does anyone actually sell pre-waterblocked 4090s? The only model I can even find evidence of existing is some Inno3D thing that doesn't appear to even be sold in the US.

The only other thing I've seen is the factory AIO models from Gigabyte, MSI, and Colorful, which you probably already looked at and ruled out. I recall seeing the MSI model, at least, coming up often enough on a stock alert discord that it seems realistically obtainable.

If your very dumb thing involves aggressive overclocking and/or benchmark chasing, I'd suggest just biting the bullet and doing it yourself. Seems like the competitive overclocking crowd do a lot of fiddling with setups anyway due to ram temp sensitivity issues. Apparently the GDDR6X doesn't like to run cold, and watercooling easily gets you into a tricky range to work with.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 27, 2023

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

eviltastic posted:

The only other thing I've seen is the factory AIO models from Gigabyte, MSI, and Colorful, which you probably already looked at and ruled out. I recall seeing the MSI model, at least, coming up often enough on a stock alert discord that it seems realistically obtainable.

If your very dumb thing involves aggressive overclocking and/or benchmark chasing, I'd suggest just biting the bullet and doing it yourself. Seems like the competitive overclocking crowd do a lot of fiddling with setups anyway due to ram temp sensitivity issues. Apparently the GDDR6X doesn't like to run cold, and watercooling easily gets you into a tricky range to work with.

Nah, not extreme OC, just open-loop cooling the thing in general. While EK has blocks for quite a few different models I was just hoping it was possible to not have to disassemble the thing myself. I have seen that MSI AIO in stock occasionally as well, but the lack of user maintainability on GPU AIOs has always put me off those.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Minimum requirements could definitely be clearer.

I spent a couple years with my Phenom II 965 BE as my main machine, and with a mild overclock it was keeping up with games pretty drat well. Then games started requiring SSE 4 or whatever instruction set, and I started having to search before buying a game to make sure it was going to work on my otherwise competent system. That different studios have a very different approach to system requirements, with the most common approach seeming to be to overstate the requirements a fair amount, doesn't help matters.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
OK how is it I got an Asus laptop made 2 weeks ago with an RTX 3060 in it that has:

- no Gsync or VRR support for the 120hz OLED panel
- no Advanced Optimus
- no resizable bar
- no ability to undervolt with Afterburner as this laptop continues to cook my loins

Like, are these some big technical hurdles to include or did they just... neglect to do it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

OK how is it I got an Asus laptop made 2 weeks ago with an RTX 3060 in it that has:

- no Advanced Optimus
- no resizable bar
- no ability to undervolt with Afterburner as this laptop continues to cook my loins

Like, are these some big technical hurdles to include or did they just... neglect to do it?

Because it was cheap.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zero VGS posted:

- no Advanced Optimus
- no resizable bar

-GSync is a power sucker and heat generator, I think there's a good argument for it to really not be a good fit for laptops.
-I think Asus is using MUXs and Advanced Optimus on their 2023 models going forward, they only had it for certain models before now. There's a cost implication and a "what engineering can we reuse across our models" implication.
-Which laptop do you have? You may need to enable it in BIOS or get a firmware upgrade, ex: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/my8rkt/resizable_bar_on_laptops/
Or maybe not, in which case I have no idea why it wouldn't be there. Lazy BIOS development probably.
-I think undervolting was disabled to avoid the plundervolt vulnerability. ASUS laptops should manage power itself, setting it to "Silent" for instance will use less power. This isn't as nice as something like afterburner for a power user but it gets you most of the way there.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Burning more power and overheating laptops because some infosec guys wrote a conference paper

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
seeing some people say dlss for dead space is a vaseline filter. i guess either the the lod bias is busted and borking mipmaps, or nvidia separating the sharpness from dlss is making some kind of mess of things?

someone has a comparison: https://www.resetera.com/threads/dead-space-remake-pc-performance-thread.680245/page-6#post-100340722

e: nvm!

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1619064235384016896

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Lockback posted:

-GSync is a power sucker and heat generator, I think there's a good argument for it to really not be a good fit for laptops.

GSync doesn't run all the time with Advanced Optimus. It only engages when you start a game and the NVIDIA GPU takes over. G-Sync is a great fit for laptops because the power and thermal constraints lead to less stable framerates.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

kliras posted:

seeing some people say dlss for dead space is a vaseline filter. i guess either the the lod bias is busted and borking mipmaps, or nvidia separating the sharpness from dlss is making some kind of mess of things?

someone has a comparison: https://www.resetera.com/threads/dead-space-remake-pc-performance-thread.680245/page-6#post-100340722

e: nvm!

https://twitter.com/Dachsjaeger/status/1619064235384016896

VRS is one of those technologies that on paper sounds like free performance but actually comes with a real cost to image quality (the effect can be dialed down, but then so will the uplift).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Every single VRS implementation I've ever seen has either a) done literally nothing (e.g. hitman), or b) completely ruined image quality, with nothing in between.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think there's possibly room for VRS to improve if it's integrated with temporal upscalers, i.e. focus more samples on freshly disoccluded areas, while undersampling areas with a lot of samples accumilated

neither DLSS or FSR currently support that kind of feedback though

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

-I think Asus is using MUXs and Advanced Optimus on their 2023 models going forward, they only had it for certain models before now. There's a cost implication and a "what engineering can we reuse across our models" implication.
-Which laptop do you have? You may need to enable it in BIOS or get a firmware upgrade, ex: https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUSROG/comments/my8rkt/resizable_bar_on_laptops/
Or maybe not, in which case I have no idea why it wouldn't be there. Lazy BIOS development probably.
-I think undervolting was disabled to avoid the plundervolt vulnerability. ASUS laptops should manage power itself, setting it to "Silent" for instance will use less power. This isn't as nice as something like afterburner for a power user but it gets you most of the way there.

When I say Gsync I mean, there's no dedicated Gsync chips on laptops so Nvidia does freesync for the laptop panels and calls it Gsync. But this laptop doesn't even have that even though it's been a thing for years now!

Almost forgot, doesn't have Mux switch either.

When I'm running Warframe for example, it says the 3060 is using 48% 3D capability and 18% Copy, and that the Intel UHD graphics is using 65% 3D capability. Why is the iGPU doing that much work when the dGPU is doing all the rendering?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Why is the iGPU doing that much work when the dGPU is doing all the rendering?

quote:

doesn't have Mux switch

Rendering has to pass through the igpu

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
give these people this: they know to actually give you the pcie brackets you need for something of this size

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1619371732124553219

e:

https://twitter.com/kopite7kimi/status/1619375009314795520

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 28, 2023

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

power crystals posted:

Nah, not extreme OC, just open-loop cooling the thing in general. While EK has blocks for quite a few different models I was just hoping it was possible to not have to disassemble the thing myself. I have seen that MSI AIO in stock occasionally as well, but the lack of user maintainability on GPU AIOs has always put me off those.

They're not too bad to apply tbh. The biggest pain in the rear end is cutting thermal pads to size and trying to get the plastic backing off them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

lol

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

weirdly small cutout

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Does it come with a case large enough to actually fit the card? That should be a bundle you could buy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think it's assumed if you're buying this you're running a full tower. So I look forward to SFF maniacs trying to fit it in an NR200.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

grack posted:

Does it come with a case large enough to actually fit the card? That should be a bundle you could buy.

I mean it should just come with its own case and power supply at this point

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
egpu enclosure stocks on the rise

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

kliras posted:

egpu enclosure stocks on the rise

:hmmno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlYHPj-0DTE

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
well that's slightly worse than the 20-30% performance drop-off the benchmark i saw suggested. yikes.

speaking of gpu's being a mess, i finally got an overpriced evga powerlink just to mess around with and keep for fun, and of all the possible incompatibility issues with my own gpu i could have predicted, the pcie connectors being upside-down compared to my own gpu was not one of them. why must standardization be such a mess

kliras fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 28, 2023

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Is it too late to post my avocados?

AMD 5900x, Geforce 3080 (strix), WD_BLACK SN850, PCIE4, bridge slot, Windows 11

bypass io disabled due to filter

bypass io enabled

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I've an eclectic setup with 4 SSDs and one platter, so lets see. Win10 so no bypassio.

Avocadoes (loading 5.49gb) take between 3.7 and 5 seconds when loading from my platter drive (Seagate Barracuda 2tb)

A repeatable, exact 2.64 seconds from my SATA 860 EVO

And right about ~0.5 from my various NVME drives (one 970 EVO Plus, two BPX Pros)

While eating as low as 7% and as much as 30% CPU usage. i7-9700k, 64gb ram, 10gb 3080.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 28, 2023

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

kliras posted:

give these people this: they know to actually give you the pcie brackets you need for something of this size

800W seems like a nonsense spec with the new fire hazard of a cable only being rated for 600.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it'll probably use a pair of 12VHPWRs

it''ll probably also be "up to" 800W, like how the 4090 is "up to" 600W but is configured for 450W out of the box

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If it's marketed as a Titan it's also a card meant solely for workstation machines, though I don't doubt Nvidia are at least thinking about making it a 4090Ti and pushing it as the ULTIMATE 8K GAMING CARD.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

njsykora posted:

making it a 4090Ti and pushing it as the ULTIMATE 8K GAMING CARD.

That was the 3090. 4090 Ti has to be 16K. It's marketing law

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Let's see if it has 48GB of VRAM since that'd put it up against the Ada 6000 workstation card which is priced a lot higher.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

kliras posted:

If you need proof the atx standard is dumb and out this is it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

EngineerJoe posted:

Is it too late to post my avocados?
With win10 5950x 2070s

mx500 sata 4tb:

hp ex920 1tb pcie3 nvme:

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010