Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

TDepressionEarl posted:

peperony and chang

lmao why did this made me chuckle so hard idk even know what it means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

TDepressionEarl posted:

peperony and chang

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

lmao why did this made me chuckle so hard idk even know what it means

it made me laugh too

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/hezbolsonaro/status/1619134417838178312

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They call him Brace bc that's what he'll have to do against the wall when the time comes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

They call him Brace bc that's what he'll have to do against the wall when the time comes

lol

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Mantis42 posted:

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
lol

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mantis42 posted:

lol

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Would be disappointed if brace wasn't a hosed up maoist

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

U.S. general warns troops that war with China is possible in two years

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/01/27/us-general-minihan-china-war-2025/

The Washington Post posted:

China could be at war with the United States two years from now, a top Air Force general predicted in a bombastic and unusual memo to troops under his command, asserting a shorter timeline before potential conflict than other senior U.S. defense officials.

Gen. Michael A. Minihan, who as head of Air Mobility Command oversees the service’s fleet of transport and refueling aircraft, warned personnel to speed their preparations for a potential conflict, citing Chinese President Xi Jinping’s aspirations and the possibility that Americans will not be paying attention until it is too late.

“I hope I am wrong,” Minihan wrote. “My gut tells me we will fight in 2025. Xi secured his third term and set his war council in October 2022. Taiwan’s presidential elections are in 2024 and will offer Xi a reason. United States’ presidential elections are in 2024 and will offer Xi a distracted America. Xi’s team, reason, and opportunity are all aligned for 2025.”

Minihan then directs airmen who are qualified to use a weapon to “fire a clip into a 7-meter target with the full understanding that unrepentant lethality matters most” sometime in February.

“Aim for the head,” he said.

Minihan’s memo encourages the thousands of troops under his command to prepare for war in several other regards. All personnel reporting to him should “consider their personal affairs” and be more aggressive about training, he instructs.

“Run deliberately, not recklessly,” he writes. “If you are comfortable in your approach to training, then you are not taking enough risk.”

The memo, first reported Friday by NBC News, is dated Feb. 1 — which is still days away — and was distributed to Minihan’s subordinate commanders. An Air Force spokeswoman, Maj. Hope Cronin, verified its authenticity, writing in a statement shared with media after the memo began circulating on social media that Minihan’s order “builds on last year’s foundational efforts by Air Mobility Command to ready the Air Mobility Forces for future conflict, should deterrence fail.”

A Pentagon spokesman, Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder, said Friday that the U.S. national defense strategy makes clear “that China is the pacing challenge of the Department of Defense” and that U.S. officials are working with allies and partners to “preserve a peaceful, free and open Indo-Pacific.”

A U.S. defense official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, said that Minihan’s comments “are not representative of the department’s view on China.”

Before taking over at Air Mobility Command in 2021, Minihan served in a variety of influential roles in the Pacific beginning in 2013. They include a stint as the deputy commander of Indo-Pacific Command, with purview of China and Taiwan, from September 2019 to August 2021.

The general’s memo coincides with an effort by the Pentagon to reset 20 years of counterinsurgency wars in the Middle East and as the Biden administration continues to equip Ukraine with billions of dollars in security assistance as it strives to fight off a Russian invasion.

Senior U.S. officials have warned for some time that an ascendant China may launch an assault on Taiwan, which is governed independently. The Defense Department under President Biden and his predecessor, President Donald Trump, has declared China its primary long-term concern, citing Beijing’s rapid military expansion and assertive behavior in recent years.

But U.S. officials have offered mixed messages on whether and when China might attempt to take Taiwan. In 2021, Adm. Phil Davidson, then the chief of U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, predicted Beijing could make such an attempt by 2027. That timeline has since been dubbed “the Davidson window” by some national security scholars.

The Navy’s top officer, Adm. Mike Gilday, said in October that his service needs to prepare for “a 2022 window or potentially a 2023 window. I can’t rule that out. I don’t mean at all to be alarmist by saying that, it’s just that we can’t wish that away.”

In light of its concerns about China, the Pentagon has sought to expand military partnerships with willing partners throughout the Pacific. This month, the U.S. and Japanese governments disclosed that a Marine Corps unit on the Japanese island of Okinawa will be refashioned into a force capable of hopping islands in the region and directing long-range missiles at adversaries.

Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, speaking Jan. 11 during a news conference alongside Japanese officials, said that the United States had observed some “very provocative behavior” from Chinese forces in an attempt to push international norms. But he also downplayed concerns that China may launch an assault on Taiwan any time soon.

“We’ve seen increased activity in aerial activity,” Austin said. “ … We’ve seen increased surface vessel activity around Taiwan. And again, we believe that they endeavor to establish a new normal, but whether or not that means that an invasion is imminent, I seriously doubt that.”

Minihan, who entered the Air Force as a C-130 pilot, has previously captured attention for his strident, colorful language.

In September, he said at a military conference outside Washington that the Air Force had caused the largest “pile of our nation’s enemy dead” within the U.S. military.

“Lethality matters most,” he added, according to Task & Purpose, a military publication. “When you can kill your enemy, every part of your life is better. Your food tastes better. Your marriage is stronger.”

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

is this your account op you seem to post it a lot

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Clearly a complete psycho motherfucker but when your predecessors include LeMay and Power you have big boots to fill.

Power: "Restraint? Why are you so concerned with saving their lives? The whole idea is to kill the bastards. At the end of the war if there are two Americans and one Russian left alive, we win!"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gen. Michael A. Minihan, who as head of Air Mobility Command oversees the service’s fleet of transport and refueling aircraft,

lmao dude is a glorified taxi dispatcher

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

seems like a great idea considering we can't even supply a proxy war properly

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe pumping the airforce full of psychotic Evangelical Christians was a bad idea

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KomradeX posted:

Maybe pumping the airforce full of psychotic Evangelical Christians was a bad idea

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Maybe pumping the America full of psychotic Evangelical Christians was a bad idea

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

KomradeX posted:

Look at this anti accelerationist who thinks global nuclear war isn't in the best interest of mankind

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

lmao he’s a cargo aircraft pilot who got promoted to boss of cargo aircraft, if this loving loser has ever killed anyone it was one of his fellow airmen back at base and they’re going to find the skeleton in his backyard in a few years

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

True

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Gen. Michael A. Minihan, who as head of Air Mobility Command oversees the service’s fleet of transport and refueling aircraft,

Yeah, still incredible what a psycho he is

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

but what does Liz think about Xinjiang

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

quote:

“Lethality matters most,” he added, according to Task & Purpose, a military publication. “When you can kill your enemy, every part of your life is better. Your food tastes better. Your marriage is stronger.”

dude's talking about his CoD killstreaks. gamer nation

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mister Bates posted:

lmao he’s a cargo aircraft pilot who got promoted to boss of cargo aircraft, if this loving loser has ever killed anyone it was one of his fellow airmen back at base and they’re going to find the skeleton in his backyard in a few years

We know for sure they killed a few Afghan civilians.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

We know for sure they killed a few Afghan civilians.

nooo

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

on the one hand being able to reliably support aircraft flying from basically anywhere on the planet to basically anywhere else on the planet all the time reliably is probably one of or the most impressive thing anyone in the us military actually does

on the other hand holy poo poo what a laughable loving REMF this lunatic is

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

by this logic wouldnt 2024 be the year?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lord of Pie posted:

seems like a great idea considering we can't even supply a proxy war properly

biden makes a proclamation of sending 10,000 abrams, 1,000 f-35s, a million stingers/javelins, the works to taiwan as everybody shifts around nervously to not tell him that all of that stuff is burning somewhere in the donbass

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

yeah let's go to war with basically nothing in the tank that'll work out

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
US, Netherlands and Japan reportedly agree to limit China's access to chipmaking equipment

quote:

The Biden administration has reportedly reached an agreement with the Netherlands and Japan to restrict China’s access to advanced chipmaking machinery. According to Bloomberg, officials from the two countries agreed on Friday to adopt some of the same export controls the US has used over the last year to prevent companies like NVIDIA from selling their latest technologies in China. The agreement would reportedly see export controls imposed on companies that produce lithography systems, including ASML and Nikon.

The article states there will be no public announcement, so the exact details are unknown.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Whenever westerners pretend to give a poo poo about Chinese oppression of Uyghurs they should ask themselves why the oppression of Tibetans is not more important. 90's kids remember how Tibet was important and how Tibetans fled China to find freedom in India. As a Swede it struck me how little you read about Tibet in major Swedish papers anymore. You'll see endless stuff about Xinjiang but nothing about Tibet.

Now why is that?

When China annexed Tibet it had a population of about a million people. 70 or so years later the population of The Tibetan autonomous region is more than 3,6 million (90% ethnic Tibetans).

The Tibetan economy is developing at such an astonishing rate that even on Wikipedia the only thing "critics"* can come up with is to imagine an alternative reality where this is not happening. And looking at an rate of economic expansion going from 14.7 percent to 7.4 percent in 2008 and trying to blame it on the "Lhasa riots" is hilarious. Sure, there was a global economic crisis happening at the same time but that probably had nothing to do with it.

I was actually shocked to find out that His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama is no longer advocating for Tibetan independence. Turns out that's the reason I never hear anything about him in the mainstream press these days.

And it turns out that the rate of Tibetans fleeing China has decreased as the economy has developed.

Just check this LA Times article from 2009

quote:

Others, however, said most people who remain in Tibet just want to feed their families.

“China has jobs; you can start a business without a lot of bureaucracy. You don’t get Delhi belly [dysentery] all the time,” said Golma, who makes $60 a month as a Dharamsala shopkeeper, compared with $300 to $400 a month in Lhasa.

If you make a political ruckus in China you’re likely to get in trouble, added Golma, who was dressed in a traditional Tibetan chupa robe, knockoff Crocs and worn green socks. “But there’s also freedom in enjoying your life.”

Several exiles paraphrased the Dalai Lama, noting that it’s important to distinguish between the Chinese people and their government’s policies. “Both societies have good and bad,” Rabsel said.

Though China is better organized and has lifted far more people out of poverty, he said, the communist government is often extremely repressive toward the Tibetan minority. India may be bureaucratic and slow-moving, other exiles said, but its people are more tolerant.

“Superficially, everything’s better in China,” said Dawa. “But mentally, there’s also lots of pressure there. You have to think before you talk.”

He paused for a minute. “But I really miss my family. I’d like to go back if I ever get the chance.”

Tibetans in India usually can't become citizens and face a bunch of discrimination. And how do the freedom-lovers talk about that?

Whenever someone talks about Chinese imperialism it is a good idea to look at how the regions subjected to this "Chinese imperialism" do economically compared to the regions subjected to Western imperialism.

*Definitely not associated with the CIA or State Department.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Hedenius posted:

I was actually shocked to find out that His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama is no longer advocating for Tibetan independence. Turns out that's the reason I never hear anything about him in the mainstream press these days.

Dalai Lama also gave an interview or wrote in a book or something that America does not give a poo poo about Tibet or the people there and the various CIA agitations there pre-normalization didn't accomplish anything besides getting a lot of people killed. he is cancelled

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
more like tankie lama, amirite?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Danann posted:

look you loving tankie, exporting all our manufacturing is actually good because number says so

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SuperKlaus posted:

Reported for great replacement theory

I dunno man, this replacement seems pretty great to me.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

more like tankie lama, amirite?

definitely don't look up who the vice chair of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress was from 1954 to 1964!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Danann posted:

I like how some of the fields are totally unknown

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
lmfao all of the boom, we gave away all of it rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it's p funny that neoliberalism is such a garbo economic system that the ostensibly richest part of the world can't even match the production capabilities of russia

really makes all that boasting about beating the chinese over taiwan even funnier