Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Which one was babbitt again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Which one was babbitt again?

The one who was shot in the throat.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
She was told several times stop trying to break through a door and was eventually shot.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The poster girl for hosed Around, Found Out

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The real goal isn't to equate the two. He's trying to rationalize January 6th.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
https://twitter.com/mark_azak/status/1619333431439007744

Buddy, where the gently caress have you been?

White suburbia, I know.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Taerkar posted:

They cheer when The Others get brutally murdered by Lone Wolves That Absolutely Weren't Motivated By Us, so OBVIOUSLY the liberals cheer in reverse.

It's always projection.

I mean...I thought getting to that point with some obviously misguided woman getting capped by the cops was unfortunate at a minimum and a tragedy at worst. I wasn't rooting for the MAGA CHUD brigades but I certainly didn't want to see anyone get killed; by a cop or otherwise.

I thought the whole thing, the buildup, the rhetoric and the false information leading up to it were all dangerous and terrible for the country that, fortunately I guess, resulted in a relatively minor death and injury count. THis time. But I didn't cheer any of it aside from maybe the one dude who led the mob away from congress members and risked his own life doing it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't recall anyone applauding that murder or anything about that day.

Amway and other MLM's thrive on this mindset and succeed so well in brainwashing people with it that their members honestly believe they are Business Owners (or salespeople at a minimum) when, in reality, all they manage to be are customers for their own "businesses".

It's pretty remarkable. People will buy more product to get more points and receive a check every month (that is far less than what they spent on merchandise) and use Amway for every single product they buy. Somehow IBO's they consider this entrepreneurialism. Also, when they fail to get rich, they blame themselves for not working hard enough instead of the lovely pyramid scheme.

Years ago, my brother in law tried to sell us on LegalShield. He had been going around schools and businesses in South Carolina selling it to whomever he could. After listening and declining, I told my wife that it was a MLM and a scam.

Two weeks later, my brother in law called and told my wife that he signed us up for LegalShield and was paying for it himself because that would help him reach his goal which would more than make up for what he was paying.

It was insane and less than a year later, he had found a new “get rich quick scheme” to follow.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
MLMs are so insidious.

My two 'favorite' features are:
- If you're having trouble making sales and becoming profitable (because the way it is structured it is almost impossible to do so), they have multiple kinds of training help for you - books, videos, seminars, retreats, one-on-one mentoring, and so on. None of which are cheap, of course, but think of it as an investment in your future!
- The 'how to sell' material exactly parallels cult practices, especially in the way it drives you away from your current configuration of family and friends. You sell relentlessly to your family and friends, browbeating them, and if they don't buy in or try to explain how you've fallen for a scam, well then it's time to cut them out of your life. They're just being negative, keeping you from achieving your dream, dead weight dragging you down. Once you've severed ties from them, think of how much more time you'll have to work on your business!

The 'multi-level' part of MLM also refers to the way they exploit you and isolate you and rip you off from multiple angles.

The best article I've read on MLMs is from a 1997 issue of The Baffler: https://thebaffler.com/salvos/dreams-incorporated

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't recall anyone applauding that murder or anything about that day.

Do you actually feel that Ashli Babbitt was murdered?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've been seeing this footage making the rounds in right wing Twitter accounts. Given the reputation of Project Veritas, I am to assume this whole thing is fabricated right? Because all the Hidden Cam videos they do conveniently have the subject say exactly what they want to hear.
https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1618742335353016321?t=ueMe7_gLRoDQZBzSE1AW_w&s=19

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Panfilo posted:

I've been seeing this footage making the rounds in right wing Twitter accounts. Given the reputation of Project Veritas, I am to assume this whole thing is fabricated right? Because all the Hidden Cam videos they do conveniently have the subject say exactly what they want to hear.
https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1618742335353016321?t=ueMe7_gLRoDQZBzSE1AW_w&s=19
What did he say? Sounds like they front loaded the vid with him freaking out but.... Ok? The second half of the vid is him getting increasingly distressed as he asks his date why he keeps talking about his job

Kale
May 14, 2010

Froghammer posted:

I love that Tate looks like poo poo

He's always looked like poo poo and absolutely loving ridiculous. Its like the most painfully try hard manly man of the world poo poo Ive ever seen with the cigar smoking and money counting and what not. If his goal was to look like a dumb stereotype of that image and erstwhile empty shell of a man though he loving nailed it.

We haven't got the seeringly bad Musk take on the Tyre Nichols murder with :elon: emojis yet have we?

Kale fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 28, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

HootTheOwl posted:

What did he say? Sounds like they front loaded the vid with him freaking out but.... Ok? The second half of the vid is him getting increasingly distressed as he asks his date why he keeps talking about his job

This part I guess?
https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1618416140568662017?t=oWAW-Sn9u7E2VZBrAuMLmQ&s=19

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Panfilo posted:

The answer is always yes.

Zwabu posted:

Do you actually feel that Ashli Babbitt was murdered?

She was but not by the person that pulled the trigger

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

But.... That's how it works....

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

:spooky:Gain-of-function!:spooky:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's hard to say what the truth is, but there's no evidence that someone with that name works at Pfizer, and one would assume someone with the kind of knowledge that could ruin a company would at least have a LinkedIn or Facebook account.

There's some scuttlebutt on Twitter that the person is a known actor, but there's 0 to confirm that, so for now it's just easy to assume that whatever is the truth of the matter, Project Veritas are guaranteed to not provide it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Research where a virus is deliberately mutated is controversial, but this is basically the exact context where you’d expect it to be happening.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
That guy looks way too young to be in a director-level position at a huge company like Pfizer.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

That guy looks way too young to be in a director-level position at a huge company like Pfizer.

Real director level? Probably not. But companies are calling almost anything “director” now instead of paying proper amounts to employees.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m personally glad that world-renown epidemiologists Charlie Kirk and Ben Shapiro are on top of this

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Discendo Vox posted:

Research where a virus is deliberately mutated is controversial,

Not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou.

Oh no, it is absolutely controversial... because the public is a wide assortment of loving idiots who see controversy in the banal.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

OgNar posted:

Tucker still looking for new lines to cross in every event

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1619151385249091586

Ashli Babbitt was shot trying to force entry into the senate chamber. So that would have been McConnells officers.

Edit: my mistake it was the house but my point still stands McConnell had as much authority over the capitol police as Pelosi did.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 29, 2023

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Bel Shazar posted:

Oh no, it is absolutely controversial... because the public is a wide assortment of loving idiots who see controversy in the banal.

It was controversial before covid, one of the main reasons not to believe the lab leakers is that there's monitoring for that kind of thing and the monitoring has identified many previous cases of laboratory acquired infections.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Tesseraction posted:

It's hard to say what the truth is, but there's no evidence that someone with that name works at Pfizer, and one would assume someone with the kind of knowledge that could ruin a company would at least have a LinkedIn or Facebook account.

There's some scuttlebutt on Twitter that the person is a known actor, but there's 0 to confirm that, so for now it's just easy to assume that whatever is the truth of the matter, Project Veritas are guaranteed to not provide it.

It's cooked. The guy says multiple times during the kerfuffle that he was lying. He was just trying to clout up to impress a date, and he got catfished by O'Keefe.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
It's the Veritas shitstains. Whatever point they're saying is wrong and they're lying about it. They've been doing the same poo poo for over a decade. It's been lies and bullshit every. loving. time. Every time, without exception. For over a decade. Don't even engage with their points. Don't think about it, don't argue with people about it, it's all lies every. loving. time.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If Veritas says the sky is blue you better go outside and check

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ErIog posted:

It's cooked. The guy says multiple times during the kerfuffle that he was lying. He was just trying to clout up to impress a date, and he got catfished by O'Keefe.

I would totally buy that James O'Keefe accidentally got snookered into running a hidden camera sting op on a guy who was lying on a dating app to have a one-night stand with some random woman and then realized far too late into the op that he'd been had and there was no clean way out for him so he just rode the bomb down to the ground and went "Uhh... Y-yep, this a totally real and legitimate Pfizer executive. Completely, it's all true. Don't try to google him, Pfizer has already scrubbed any mention of him from their web presence and Google is actively surpressing the fact that he exists because of our scoop. Yeah, that's it... Nailed it."

Also come on, no one who makes the kind of money you get being a director of anything at a Big Pharma biotech firm would show up to a date wearing a brown button down cotton t-shirt. Put some loving effort into your cons, Jimmy.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 29, 2023

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

I would totally buy that James O'Keefe accidentally got snookered into running a hidden camera sting op on a guy who was lying on a dating app to have a one-night stand with some random woman and then realized far too late into the op that he'd been had and there was no clean way out for him so he just rode the bomb down to the ground and went "Uhh... Y-yep, this a totally real and legitimate Pfizer executive. Completely, it's all true. Don't try to google him, Pfizer has already scrubbed any mention of him from their web presence and Google is actively surpressing the fact that he exists because of our scoop. Yeah, that's it... Nailed it."

Also come on, no one who makes the kind of money you get being a director of anything at a Big Pharma biotech firm would show up to a date wearing a brown button down cotton t-shirt. Put some loving effort into your cons, Jimmy.

I think the dude is gay, and I'm not gonna throw stones on fit, but yeah

Dude being gay is probably the only reason this happened because I doubt Veritas would hire a woman on their team

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Has Project Veritas had any tangible results beyond getting ACORN dismantled? It seems that all they've managed since then is fabricate outrage that hasn't made it past the fringes of the right wing.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Skios posted:

Has Project Veritas had any tangible results beyond getting ACORN dismantled? It seems that all they've managed since then is fabricate outrage that hasn't made it past the fringes of the right wing.

They don't need anything. It's like The Federalist or The Daily Wire or any of these other things. They're like 10 people in some strip mall office being bathed in money by the Kochs. They basically have RWM tenure. They can coast on the abortion sting they did forever.

The real question I have about Project Veritas is why they sat on Biden's daughter's diary. It was legally incredibly smart because they would have gotten skullfucked over it, but they're not usually that smart. There's something fishy there.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

ErIog posted:

They don't need anything. It's like The Federalist or The Daily Wire or any of these other things. They're like 10 people in some strip mall office being bathed in money by the Kochs. They basically have RWM tenure. They can coast on the abortion sting they did forever.

The real question I have about Project Veritas is why they sat on Biden's daughter's diary. It was legally incredibly smart because they would have gotten skullfucked over it, but they're not usually that smart. There's something fishy there.

That slap on the wrist for trying to wiretap a sitting US senator's office might have still scared them enough into going after low-hanging fruit. I know O'Keefe is dumb (cf. his attempted sting of the Open Society Foundations because they're funded by George Soros, where he didn't hang up after his fake voicemail and openly admitted it was all bullshit on said voicemail, and also didn't realize that checking someone on LinkedIn tells them you checked on them), but I can't imagine that there isn't a lawyer present somewhere there.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ErIog posted:

As I recall they tried but every outlet they went to said "and how did you get this?" and threw them the gently caress out after hearing the reply.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m posting this here because of who this is

https://twitter.com/stevebattaglio/status/1620043828333002752?s=46&t=p2eC5rnioeqogM-JQRYRPA

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah good, more dogshit contrarianism to punch you in the face upon watching. Guess your schtick is still safe Jake Tapper.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
That's how vaccines work.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Lemniscate Blue posted:

https://twitter.com/mark_azak/status/1619333431439007744

Buddy, where the gently caress have you been?

White suburbia, I know.

You're allowed and encouraged to protect your home and workplace with firearms, and I'll emphasize that with "roof Koreans" memes anytime black people are mad about police violence.

But also how loving dare a police officer shoot someone that was climbing through the shattered window of a barricaded door in his workplace amid a violent riot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Old posts but oh well

Jaxyon posted:

Fiscal conservative means being socially conservative via funding instead of passing laws outlawing being black or whatever.
Yeah, if people have no government support and/or protection to rely on then they just end up having to hew to the social standards of the people who pay them. Which are probably not so liberal.

The main mistake libertarians make is that thinking only the government can oppress you. Because feudalism never existed.

BRJurgis posted:

I was so delighted when I recognized him in trevor moore's "Gays got married". Super bummed when I heard the news (Jay Johnston jan 6 for this conversation, Trevor's death also sucked). Was there any other poo poo regarding him that suggested that kind of ideology?
Not that I really noticed, but his comedy friends sure did cast him to play cops a lot, which you could chalk up to being a tall white guy who can grow a good mustache, but it makes tons of sense in retrospect.

Sarah Silverman Program, Arrested Development, multiple Mr. Show/Bob and David sketches, Community, Parks and Rec, Tenacious D... tons of other stuff. Dude clearly gives off intense cop energy.