Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

steinrokkan posted:

The Czech Republic has elected Petr Pavel, former head of the NATO Military Committee, as its president, beating former PM Andrej Babiš 58:42 :toot: Clearly this infiltration of civilian power by the military is further proof that homonazi corruption has given the Bohemian scoundrels an insatiable bloodlust.

Great, just what we needed - a Bohemian corporal general leading a Central European nation!

(I know, that other guy wasn't really böhmischer...)

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The Czech Republic has elected Petr Pavel, former head of the NATO Military Committee, as its president, beating former PM Andrej Babiš 58:42 :toot: Clearly this infiltration of civilian power by the military is further proof that homonazi corruption has given the Bohemian scoundrels an insatiable bloodlust.

Babiš eating poo poo is :discourse:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

What it's really proof of is that we just got a president who'll happily help out whatever nonsense austerity scheme the current government comes up with.

Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a better option than Babiš, but I somehow can't muster any enthusiasm about adding yet another right-wing conservative to a system dominated by right-wing conservatives, so we can all pretend everything's well with the world while healthcare and social services collapse around us.

e: Now Fiala is on and I just wish someone shoved a ripe tomato into his smug mug.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 28, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well you're right, but for one, this country is just cursed by an extreme abundance of slobbering bootlickers and it's not gonna change because unlike elsewhere even the young generation loving sucks with its spiessburger philistine values, and second, I can't get too worked up about this vote since the president's office has been turned into an embarrassing joke by its two previous inhabitants and hopefully it's going to stay irrelevant in the future as well.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, agree on that. Honestly, the ideal solution would be to abolish the office altogether, but that's obviously not gonna happen - kicking them out of the Castle would be a pretty good start. Might make the people realize the president is an official, not a bloody king.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Would you kick him out... through the window? As is the tradition?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

Would you kick him out... through the window? As is the tradition?
Sure, as long it's the first defenstration and not the second.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

What it's really proof of is that we just got a president who'll happily help out whatever nonsense austerity scheme the current government comes up with.

Hey don't worry, the new president will happily help out any government!

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Did Czechs fail to develop the technology behind patronymics... Just slap on -ov, -ko, -ski or -icz there, don't give your kid your name as his last name. Just setting up a person for failure, gonna get bullied by all the slav presidents

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Somaen posted:

Did Czechs fail to develop the technology behind patronymics... Just slap on -ov, -ko, -ski or -icz there, don't give your kid your name as his last name. Just setting up a person for failure, gonna get bullied by all the slav presidents

It would be -ic (well -ič) if anything but even then most would think that's some kind of Serbian name.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like Saskaņa is completely falling apart, pretty much as expected from the election results. Urbanovičs ousted, Elksniņš and the Daugavpils city deputies have spun off a party of their own, and the party is now debating kicking Bartaševičs, and Rēzekne and Ludza wings of the party are in an open rebellion. The latter is especially funny, since the reason for the rebellion is the Riga wing's accusations against Bartaševičs, that he was proposing, e.g., to refer to the war with “conflict”, when the general meeting of the party did also “officially” conclude that they lost due to Urbanovičs calling Russian an aggressor – I think they're actually planning to double-down into vatnik politics?? GLHF I guess.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Somaen posted:

Au contraire, patronymics are an inferior adaptation developed by non-West Slavic lands which lack good beer or wine and have mediocre spirits at best.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://lvportals.lv/norises/348563-zinami-2022-gada-vards-nevards-sparnotais-teiciens-un-savarstijums-2023

Have to say that I’m a huge fan of gājēju pārbrauktuve :laffo:

For non-Latvian context, it’s a wordplay on “pedestrian crossing” along the rough lines of “pedestrian cross-out”

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://lvportals.lv/norises/348563-zinami-2022-gada-vards-nevards-sparnotais-teiciens-un-savarstijums-2023

Have to say that I’m a huge fan of gājēju pārbrauktuve :laffo:

For non-Latvian context, it’s a wordplay on “pedestrian crossing” along the rough lines of “pedestrian cross-out”

It's an untranslatable wordplay, but pretty drat good. I'd vote if I knew where to. By a simple switch of two near synonyms, "pedestrian crossing" becomes "place to cross over pedestrians".

Cinci, what's your take on the CVK mess? Sounds bad, but the silver lining is that Ritvars Eglājs, a Twitter hate-follow of mine, is among the officials that might be indicted.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 31, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a podcast for cats posted:

It's an untranslatable wordplay, but pretty drat good. I'd vote if I knew where to. By a simple switch of two near synonyms, "pedestrian crossing" becomes "pedestrian run-over/hit&run spot".

Cinci, what's your take on the CVK mess? Sounds bad, but the silver lining is that Ritvars Eglājs, a Twitter hate-follow of mine, is among the officials that might be indicted.

CVK mess is a bloody fine mess, even by the remarkably low Latvian standards. It seems to have been farmed out to people who mismanaged it so badly that I'm not even sure this is graft, as they absolutely were too stupid to even steal properly and pretend to have had proper procurement auctions. They basically locked CVK into perpetual contracts with a single private company supplying a proprietary IT system to run the elections on, overspending both on purchases and on support contracts. The rest of their procurement strategy seems to have been equally smart - KNAB is investigating even a suspicion of document forgery.

As a consequence, their budgets have been bled dry, and so they were running in austerity mode with poo poo morale even before Valsts kontrole, and then KNAB both came down crashing on them. Possibly, the most toxic combination of institutions to be investigating you, minus like VDD, which made almost every career employee to flee. They're down to just 12 employees, several of which have announced their resignations (including the chief lawyer), and Saeima is further firing everyone on the nominal committee, excluding your Twitter guy that I'm not particularly acquainted with.

In other words, being out of money and out of people, it has collapsed, and we don't have an election committee presently. Apparently, the time to establish one is 6+ months after you get some physical people, due to security requirements for the electronic equipment. We have the EP election this year (with no confirmed budget yet, which will only be calculated and approved after the CVK is reformed), and the municipal referenda starting from the next year. What this means is that the same scammers could by force majeure get locked in as the IT supplier for the next elections so that everything could be ready for the EP election (not sure if the date for that has been determined yet). Another cool consequence here, besides our Saeima being able to gently caress with money in multiple ways, is that CVK 2.0 supposedly will be a sidecar institution to something else, and ministries have been mentioned as an example (in addition to more sane options, like VRAA). If CVK is under a ministry, then it stops being politically neutral.

Basically, everything about this is bad, and I hope that we get helicopter VDL very soon, to scare some fear into our clown coalition.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
in more very eastern "europe" news (hey if turkey is europe, it's eastern, and therefore azerbaijan is... easterner europe!), this is not a collection of countries i expected to see in a news article

https://twitter.com/joshuakucera/status/1620811092699258881

israel/azerbaijan coalition against iran or w/e and retaliatory strikes on the azeri embassy in tehran by iran is uh... weird news, especially given whatever the hell else israel was probably doing but hush hush about in iran recently

wtf geopolitics i am confusion

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Getting a report from the USGS of a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hitting Turkey near Nurdagi. This appears to be the largest earthquake to hit the region in recorded history, by a significant margin.

AP:
https://apnews.com/article/earthquake-shakes-turkey-b927808f6a5c54bdb669120faa40b7bc

NYT liveblog:
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/02/05/world/turkey-earthquake

Epicenter was near Gaziantep and the Syrian border.

USGS site:
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us6000jllz/executive

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1622416291872051205

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 6, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

7.8 is quite a bit for general european whereabouts :staredog:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Blimey.

Given Turkey's past earthquakes consistently revealing corruption in how well building code is followed, this could have an effect on the elections either way. If houses built in recent years withstand the disaster then Erdogan can take credit for that, but in the opposite case the opposition gets fuel for their campaign.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Blimey.

Given Turkey's past earthquakes consistently revealing corruption in how well building code is followed, this could have an effect on the elections either way. If houses built in recent years withstand the disaster then Erdogan can take credit for that, but in the opposite case the opposition gets fuel for their campaign.

It's also right next to Syria which... likely has a lot of heavily damaged housing.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://baza.io/posts/a7caa22d-6878-46ac-b48d-cdf4bc12978d Interesting, if a bit existential, interview with a 2021 autumn draftee who fled into Latvia.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Turkey has a lot of the country within danger zones from seismic fault lines, which is making me a bit nervous about their plans for nuclear power tbh.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Over 2,700 dead in Turkey and the number is still climbing. :psyduck:

Turkey has formally requested NATO help.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Turkey has a lot of the country within danger zones from seismic fault lines, which is making me a bit nervous about their plans for nuclear power tbh.

Metsamor hasn't killed everyone in the area so far, so hopefully some lessons have been learned (hopefully other than "we cannot afford both safety and electricity").

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

Over 2,700 dead in Turkey and the number is still climbing. :psyduck:

Turkey has formally requested NATO help.

My news feed today was like a really dour version of the stonks meme, loving hell

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I can see why the death toll is so high. It happened around 4:15 AM and I've seen 2 videos on the BBC so far of 8 - 10 storey newish looking buildings in Turkey completely collapsing.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

I can see why the death toll is so high. It happened around 4:15 AM and I've seen 2 videos on the BBC so far of 8 - 10 storey newish looking buildings in Turkey completely collapsing.

Yeah, the city of Kahramanmaras looks like it was recently liberated by the Russians.

I am actually really proud of both Finnish and Swedish governments that it took them less than 12 hours to declare that they would help, no decency from Erdogan, or paybacks expected or required.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

Which means it's near certainly going to get much higher :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bartaševičs kicked out of Saskaņa. End of an era, huh. His success to staying in power forever was he knew enough people in the right places in Rīga to pull money in for the municipality, which is now going to be an entirely different calculus from now on.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OddObserver posted:

Which means it's near certainly going to get much higher :(

I'm not sure who these folks are but these numbers sound a lot more realistic to me, given 2 earthquakes comparable to 1999 over a massive region with awful construction
https://twitter.com/risklayer/status/1622728877868191744

Btw I encourage discussion about this everywhere as much as possible of course, but I hope people consider Syria too, and of course the large Kurdish and Arab populations straddling the region.
Pics from nyt showing affected areas for each quake respectfully:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/02/06/world/turkey-earthquake-damage.html

I'll post this in the ME thread too I guess.

It's so bad!!! Don't look on social media for posts made by people stuck underneath as they were making them, horrible screams.
:(

E: EE-wise, Ukraine and Russia have offered support. Some Russian planes have been dispatched
https://twitter.com/ravi4bharat/status/1622646624265568272

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 7, 2023

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The WHO says the death toll could increase eight-fold.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64533851

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

It struck in the dead of night. In Syria buildings are damaged and even the older ones probably didn't have the best regulations or construction to withstand this, new ones are probably useless. I wouldn't trust Turkish building regulations to be much better, especially not in the relatively impoverished and neglected south east. The weather's also been bad, there's been a snow storm if I read it right, and temperatures are below freezing. Road infrastructure and airports have been destroyed or critically damaged. The rebel-held areas and the Turkish border regions are chocked full of Syrian refugees.

Yeah, this one is going to get much worse.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64533851

Well, it's at the very least has doubled since the morning. https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/07/world/middleeast/earthquake-turkey-syria.html

:negative:

mawarannahr posted:

E: EE-wise, Ukraine and Russia have offered support. Some Russian planes have been dispatched
https://twitter.com/ravi4bharat/status/1622646624265568272

Russia also seems to be considering doing a quick law change to allow draft soldiers be sent on humanitarian missions abroad. If that goes further than talking, they could send some army engineering cadets/digging equipment to help with clearing works too.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia also seems to be considering doing a quick law change to allow draft soldiers be sent on humanitarian missions abroad. If that goes further than talking, they could send some army engineering cadets/digging equipment to help with clearing works too.

That would be welcome and a better use of soldiers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Big rear end RKN leak, very interesting to read about https://zona.media/article/2023/02/08/rkn-files

mawarannahr posted:

That would be welcome and a better use of soldiers

I'm afraid I ended up misreading that on the bylines, they seem to be hurting for manpower in Nagorno-Karabakh.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Moldovan government has resigned, long live the new government.

quote:

Moldovan President Maia Sandu on Friday nominated a new prime minister to keep her country on a pro-EU trajectory after the previous government fell earlier in the day, following months of rising Russian pressure amid the war in Ukraine.

She named Dorin Recean, a noted pro-EU figure and current national security adviser, to replace Natalia Gavrilița, as the new head of government. The Moldovan parliament, where Sandu’s party holds a comfortable majority with 63 out of 101 seats, will vote to confirm the nomination next week.

At a surprise press briefing Friday, now-former Prime Minister Gavrilița announced she was resigning together with her pro-Western government. Moldova was granted candidate status to the European Union last June, together with Ukraine, but the government has faced intense pressure from Moscow, which has sought to undermine its authority.

“If our government had had the same support at home as we had from our European partners, we could have advanced further and faster,” Gavriliţa said. “Moldova is entering a new phase, one in which security is our priority,” she added.

President Maia Sandu said she would launch discussions with the political parties in parliament to appoint a new prime minister.

The Moldovan government has long accused Russia, which bases soldiers in the breakaway region of Transnistria in the east, of stirring unrest in the country, including protests in the capital, Chișinău. In an interview with POLITICO last month, Sandu accused Russia of using the energy crisis and spiraling costs to “bring instability to Moldova,” referring to disinformation efforts by Russia to stoke anti-government feeling.

Moscow has a long history of turning the economic screws on Moldova over the past two decades to undermine pro-EU administrations, most notoriously by rolling out bans on imports into Russia of Moldova’s all-important wines.

The government’s collapse on Friday comes just days after Gavriliţa met with European Council President Charles Michel and European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen in Brussels to take stock of Moldova’s EU membership prospects.

Bordering Ukraine, Moldova has found itself precariously close to the war, and has been keen to strike a balancing act as it seeks to protect itself militarily without provoking Moscow.

The country of 2.5 million people, which was 100 percent dependent on Russian gas before the invasion of Ukraine, had been battling spiking inflation and public unrest about soaring energy costs.

Sandu, a Harvard-educated former anti-corruption campaigner, told POLITICO last month that a “serious discussion” was now taking place in the country, following the Russian invasion of Ukraine, including the possibility of joining a defense alliance.

“Now, there is a serious discussion … about our capacity to defend ourselves, whether we can do it ourselves, or whether we should be part of a larger alliance,” she said. “And if we come, at some point, to the conclusion as a nation that we need to change neutrality, this should happen through a democratic process.”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy told EU leaders during Thursday’s European summit in Brussels that Ukraine had intercepted Russian plans to “destroy” Moldova.

Moldovan intelligence services later confirmed they had also identified “subversive activities” aimed at “undermining the state of the Republic of Moldova, destabilizing and violating public order.”

The Moldovan foreign ministry announced Friday it would summon the Russian ambassador over the “unacceptable violation of [Moldova’s] airspace by a Russian missile” which flew over the country as part of an extensive Russian attack on Ukraine.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
rather belated at this point, but in very eastern "europe" news, central asia's hottest president is... sorta out, but not?

https://eurasianet.org/turkmenistan-look-whos-back

https://twitter.com/SLonCentralAsia/status/1623652369476243456

Serdar Berdimuhamedow, nominal leader of Turkmenistan, has been kinda supplanted by the former president, his father, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow, who now holds the revived office of "national leader" and head of the people's council, after apparent dissatisfaction among elites with Serdar's performance as president. Gurbanguly was, to a degree, still more or less in charge before, but now he's more in charge, again. gently caress knows, Turkmen politics are inscrutable. Serdar's loss of station raises questions of succession, however--he was the heir apparent but apparently no longer, and there isn't really anyone else set up to take over should Gurbanguly die or whatever

in Uzbekistan, the trial of persons charged with inciting revolution during unrest in Karakalpakstan (following proposed constitutional amendments that would have removed the region's de jure right to self-determination) has concluded. almost all defendants plead guilty (probably under coercion) and all were convicted, receiving multi-year sentences, with the one defendant pleading innocent receiving a 16 year sentence. several officers of the security services have also been charged with misuse of force, but afaict not yet tried:

The Economist - Squashing dissidents in Uzbekistan

https://twitter.com/joannalillis/status/1624024805937750016

ed: (not much) more info on the police officers charged from eurasianet. no specific charges but realistically i would assume abuse of force

president Mirziyoyev, while less oppressive than his predecessor, Islam Karimov, is clearly not going to allow popular dissent and is expected to consolidate power and continue his rule past his original term limits with revised constitutional changes

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 13, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VSOKUL girl posted:

rather belated at this point, but in very eastern "europe" news, central asia's hottest president is... sorta out, but not?

https://eurasianet.org/turkmenistan-look-whos-back

https://twitter.com/SLonCentralAsia/status/1623652369476243456

Serdar Berdimuhamedow, nominal leader of Turkmenistan, has been kinda supplanted by the former president, his father, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow, who now holds the revived office of "national leader" and head of the people's council, after apparent dissatisfaction among elites with Serdar's performance as president. Gurbanguly was, to a degree, still more or less in charge before, but now he's more in charge, again. gently caress knows, Turkmen politics are inscrutable. Serdar's loss of station raises questions of succession, however--he was the heir apparent but apparently no longer, and there isn't really anyone else set up to take over should Gurbanguly die or whatever

in Uzbekistan, the trial of persons charged with inciting revolution during unrest in Karakalpakstan (following proposed constitutional amendments that would have removed the region's de jure right to self-determination) has concluded. almost all defendants plead guilty (probably under coercion) and all were convicted, receiving multi-year sentences, with the one defendant pleading innocent receiving a 16 year sentence. several officers of the security services have also been charged with misuse of force, but afaict not yet tried:

The Economist - Squashing dissidents in Uzbekistan

https://twitter.com/joannalillis/status/1624024805937750016

ed: (not much) more info on the police officers charged from eurasianet. no specific charges but realistically i would assume abuse of force

president Mirziyoyev, while less oppressive than his predecessor, Islam Karimov, is clearly not going to allow popular dissent and is expected to consolidate power and continue his rule past his original term limits with revised constitutional changes

gurbanguly is going to be kept alive as long as necessary by the golden dog statues

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Happy Fat Thursday Goons! I'm presently at 0 pączki, but expect the number to climb higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I tap out at around 8 throughout the day, it’ll be less than that this year though as I don’t work in an office anymore so I won’t get any free ones. My wife announced she’s also getting at least a pączek today, which would be super unusual for her, but pregnancy will do that to you.

I made an effort post about pączki some time ago:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913484